Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

Old 02-22-20, 07:22 AM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
Please tell us your age.
57 in two weeks

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?
Road race-style bikes. My current main ride is a Cannondale Supersix Evo HiMod. I'll be riding today with a good friend who is 80 years old who rock a pretty sexy S-Works Tarmac. He is a competitive master's road racer. He is an inspiration to many--myself included!

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?
Multivitamin, Vitamin K in winter, and Glucosamine/MSM for joint care that also seems to keep gout away. I'm quite skeptical of supplements, but I have found a couple that appear to make a difference for me.

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?
I started riding at age 40. I have slowed some in recent years, but mostly due to reduced training load and weight gain. I'm a bigger guy anyway so I can time-trial it on the flats and rollers (people love to be on my wheel on the flats), but big extended climbs slow me down quite a bit. I climb a lot and love climbing because of the places it takes me and the substantive fitness it builds--but I'm no climber.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life?
Beyond riding a lot as a kid, I really started mountain biking at 40 then road riding when I was 43. I was attracted to road biking mostly due to "economy of time". I don't have to drive somewhere to get a great ride in. I can simply start from my doorstep.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides.
Currently mostly enthusiast type riding. I ride as long as I have time for on any given day. That may be 15 miles or 100 miles. I've done some local "Tuesday night worlds" crit style racing and a lot of longish club rides. For a few years, I was able to able to commute 18 miles each way 4-5 days per week (April - mid October) which allowed me to build some real fitness and log some mileage. I've done a lot of organized century events, but in the last few years, I've mostly just been riding on my own, doing the occasional group ride and no organized events.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?
I try to be on my bike at least five times per week. We have winter here, so during the dark months that means trainer time. The best way for me to kill tolerance for riding the trainer is to push it beyond 1 hour, so I come out into spring feeling somewhat strong but with little real endurance fitness.

My best mileage year was 2014 when I hit 9000 miles. However, a job change nixed the commuting for the most part since then and I've been averaging about 4500 per year.

I consider myself very fortunate in that I really enjoy the simple act of riding a bike. Group rides are fine but, I can easily enjoy several hours alone on a ride as well. I live at the foot of beautiful mountains and I have a lot of superb riding available from my doorstep.

Last edited by Clipped_in; 02-23-20 at 07:10 PM.
Old 02-22-20, 08:04 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Please tell us your age.
59 in May

Mostly self-maintained, resurrected, '95 Trek 800 Sport Mtb.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?
Because of age... no. Diet (as close to vegan and organic as possible) and exercise have given me extended life. Multi-vitamin most days. Occasional multi-B for energy. Prevention and medication with homeo-pathics. Still a sugar-vore....

Initially sped up! Rediscovering naps this last year. Might have something to do with working and caring for 20+ kindergarteners!

My French wife got me biking in late 2013. Before that? Approximately 1976 I had definitely stopped. So, almost 40 year hiatus.

Mostly commuting in dry-ish, above freezing weather, 10 miles, up to 4 times a week. Happy to find reasons for additional rides of generally less than 20 miles. Unafraid to go higher if the opp presents.

See above. Around 1000 miles a year, I think.

Last edited by Digger Goreman; 02-22-20 at 08:08 AM.
Old 03-08-20, 09:38 AM
T.W.O.
two wheels only

Bikes: A bunch, ranging from a '60s Carlton Flyer to a 2015 S-Works Tarmac

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
Please tell us your age.

A mix of modern road bikes, vintage road bikes, mountain bikes

Aspirin and ibuprofen for arthritic knees. An occasional multi-vitamin and vitamin D.

A fair amount. 30 years ago I could do a solo 30 mile road ride and average 21-22 mph. Now I might hit 18 mph solo, maybe 20 mph on a group ride.

I have biked all my life. I bought my first bike as an adult in 1973, first serious racing bike in 1984, first mountain bike in 1985.

Mostly 20 - 30 mile fitness rides on the road, alone or group rides with a local club. Occasional longer rides of 50 - 100 miles with a local club and sometimes a mountain bike ride in a nearby state park. I love riding with a club, the social aspect and regular rides makes it much easier to stay motivated.

Usually 4-5 times a week with a goal of 100 - 150 miles per week during the riding season. I rode 3000 miles last year.
Old 03-09-20, 10:33 AM
Crosis

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Please tell us your age.

road bike, gravel bike and mountain bike

none

I have slowed a bit. I can’t ride as far as I used to and recovery takes longer these days.

I have biked all my life with small periods of inactivity.

Mostly 20 - 25 mile rides. My wife, who has never been a cyclist rides with me on her ebike and limits my distances.

Just on weekends. I think I average 1500 miles a year. Wish it was more.
Old 03-19-20, 09:06 AM
Bahloo7

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New to biking

Originally Posted by DnvrFox
This thread was started in August, 2004, by DnvrFox, shortly after founding the 50+ Forum. The purpose was to give 50+ riders (new, returning, experienced) some idea of the range of what other 50+ riders do in their bicycling.

Some folks come to the 50+ forum with the perspective that most 50+ bicycling is 5 mile rides on a comfort bike. Others believe that 50+ bicycling is a $7,000 carbon frame bike with Dura Ace components ridden by someone in a $200 helmet and $500 of lycra/polyester jersey and shorts and $300 shoes with $200 clips.

Both are right. Read on for yourself.

Over the years, many, many posts have been added. It is one of the most viewed thread ever on the 50+ Forum. It was not a "sticky," then it was a "sticky," then it wasn't a "sticky," and, finally, it is a "sticky" again.

Feel free to browse through the many responses, and to add your own if you like. It is possible that no one will acknowledge your post - but don't feel insulted.

This is likely the most comprehensive collection of 50+ bicyclist information ever compiled, anywhere. Enjoy. Some folks have acknowledged reading every single post - whew!!

Below is the original post.

(DnvrFox, the original poster to this thread, no longer posts in the 50+ forum.)

DnvrFox, the OP
I thought there might be some interest in a thread such as this. If not, it will go the way of all threads - just die away.

So, here is my first contribution.

Some questions:

Please tell us your age.

Hello I am 53, changing up my sports from Equestrian endurance riding to biking...more specifically Triathlons. I ride a Specialized Transition TT bike, and a Specialized Tarmac Pro roadbike

I take B vitamins and a Multivitamin

I dont believe I have slowed down really, just enjoy recreating outside

I have been biking about 1 year

Enjoy long rides and touring

2 to 3 times a week, average 15 to 20 miles

If you haven't already, perhaps you might indicate your age. It helps others to see that folks 50+ do great things.
I am 53
Old 06-02-20, 09:22 AM
OldGlory

Bikes: Cervelo S3; Factor LS; Flat Bar Lauf Anywhere; Trek Farley 9.6

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
Please tell us your age.

Shopping for a replacement for my Domane. Currently ride a Specialized Turbo Creo and a Lauf Gravel Bike.

Multivitamin, Vitamin D, Vitamin C

I have been stuck behind a desk for some time. I have slowed down!

As a kid all the time. In college had a campus bike. In my late 30's rode CAT 5. Then rode very seldomly for a bunch of years.

10 - 25 miles. Occasional charity ride 50-100 miles. Want to get up to 50 miles per day 3-4 times a week.

2-3 times a week. Around 800 miles per year.
Old 06-03-20, 01:56 PM
AlgarveCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
Please tell us your age.

Road and MTB. (Racing and XC)

No

I am definitely not as fast as I was in my 20's but I could slipstream my younger self and stay in touch.

I did BMX as a kid and then progressed to road racing as a teenager and into my late 20's. I stopped racing when I emigrated to the UK at 30 and my cycling ground to a virtual halt by the time I was 33/34 and for a long time only did the occasional ride. I took it up seriously again last year, racing XC MTB and road.

Racing - so training for racing. Club rides. Distances vary, from 25km - 80m MTB and 50km - 200km road. Always plenty of hills - today 2558m in 136km, for example.

5x a week on average. 14000km per year, roughly.
Old 06-08-20, 01:37 AM
richdirector

Bikes: Rohloffed Ti Lynskey 29er, Sonder Camino ti Gravel Bike, Mercian Tourer, Lynskey road bike, Brompton S2L-X folding bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage
If you haven't already, perhaps you might indicate your age. It helps others to see that folks 50+ do great things.
1 I have lynskey ti gravel, independent fabrication ti Road, steel ogre touring and Brompton folding bike.

2 multivitamin 1000mg C every morning.. Echinacea sonetimes

3. Have PRs in the last year and some strava top 10's still (im 50)

4.pretty solidly 30 years

5 gravel at least 50km at a time.... Road generally 100km rides touring 30-100/day. Brompton commutes 5-10km each way

Other exercise... I kitesurf, SUP, run (HM last year 1h34m, 5km parkrun 19m40s)

6. Bike 2/3 times a week about 4500miles a year. I work on hours and try log at least an hour a day over year so last year 380hours of exercise
Old 06-14-20, 08:50 AM
86Romic

Bikes: 1986 Romic Custom Touring, Shimano 600 (68cm); 2003 Lemond Buenos Aires, Ultegra (61cm); 2019 No 22 Great Divide, DA (Custom Ti)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please tell us your age.

Primarily 2019 No. 22 Great Divide, occasionally trusty Lemond Buenos Aires, and, for old times sake, a bike I've owned since new, a 1986 Romic Touring.

None.

Definitely, but I was never 'fast.' While I have yet to gain significant body weight, and my bikes have gotten significantly lighter over the years, I have slowed 3-5 mph from my 20's.

All my life.

Long rides (30-70 miles), mostly solo.

2-3 x wk April to October (live in Minnesota), approx 2000 miles annual.
Old 06-15-20, 09:25 AM
guelphite
Prince of the Royal City

Bikes: Marinoni, Bianchi, Peugeot, Raleigh, CCM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Cyclist in southern Ontario

Please tell us your age. 62

I have several bikes; prime one being a Lynksey 230 (ti-frame), Marinoni Tourismo (SP tubing close to 30lbs), and other vintage bikes which I rotate to keep the grease going.

None really. Vitamin C when I get a cold. Not/never a big drinker. Usually 2-3 glasses of wine per year and minimize over-the-counter drugs

Age has slowed me down plus as I’ve gotten older, I’ve been swimming more which I miss tremendously. It’s easier on my body. Before this pandemic, I broke my record by doing 2.5km in the pool (25m pool at 50 laps), just under an hour. Between cycling, swimming and before the pandemic, I lost 40lbs and my health and drive has improved.

I was biking since I was a toddler. When I was 5, during the day on our small street, used to go to the top of the hill and ride down in the middle of it!
As I was growing up, my father did not own a car due to not needing it where we lived. He jogged, walked or rode his bike so they were a major source of transportation. This is where I was taught to take care of one’s bike.
I still remember my first trike(s) and my subsequent bikes.

My normal rides are 30km by height of season and recently found a great riding buddy who challenges me and learn new geography plus discovering a great coffee shop (which is now permanently shut down).

We do between 30 – 60km. I/We usually I do 3 times a week.
Per year? Depends on if I can fit it between swims. Maybe 1,000.
I have to remember next year to reset my odometer on my computer.
Old 06-22-20, 02:40 PM
Marci

Bikes: My Day 6, Big Red.

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
I started out on a Huffy that I bought used at Goodwill to ride with friends. LOL Oh man did I struggle. Pretty soon switched to a used Specialized and I loved it but time marched on and arthritis in my back got worse, I knew I needed something else when I kept crashing because I couldn't touch ground without falling all the way over. Was looking at the Electra (I ride bi-weekly with a bike shop owner) Because of the ads stating you can be flat foot and still in the seat. BUT Before I bought one he got in a used Day 6 bike. It has a huge cushy seat, a back rest, and the pedals are semi recumbent. I was allowed to try it on a ride and I fell in love. Big Red is my favorite bike now. About the only thing I dislike is the weight while going up hills.

I had some major leg cramps until I started taking extra magnesium.

Well yeah, but at age 61 with arthritis and lung issues you do that. I hardly ever miss the bi-weekly 10 miles bike ride.

Biked as a kid,and as a teen. Then a time when my car died until we could buy a new one. But it had been a long time, I had started swimming and a friend told me of a group that rode twice a week. I was hooked after the first ride on a borrowed bike. Been doing it now for over 5 years now,maybe 6?

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides. Well Its usually about 10 miles at a somewhat =13pxleisurely pace twice a week. But in between ride days I now take my dog out to run on my bike-HE LOVES IT-Beats a walk any day for him. He is quite fast for a little min pin mix, clocked him at over 15mph.

At least twice a week weather and health barring-had =13pxpneumonia a couple winters ago and it kept me off the bike for a few months. But as soon as I could I was back on it. Dr says keep doing what your doing it is helping to heal my body.
Usually its 20 miles or so per week. But dog runs add to it, my little guy can do about 5 miles then he has to go in the basket. Its funny how it adds up. Someone was telling me how many miles they had done that year and I thought it impressive until I added up mine and I had more. LOL But who's counting, I count how good it is for my body and my soul.
Old 07-05-20, 10:35 AM
smakcanada

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
62 yr old Newbie with fancy Hybrid

I just bought a 2020 Specialized Crosstrail. I own a 2001 CCM Newport Cruiser that I hardly ever rode. I live in a hilly town and the heavy cruiser wasn't working. Cycling is all new to me.
i took up riding again this spring due to the pandemic and cancellation of my primary sport: Dragon Boat paddling. Never intended to buy such a fancy bike but so little available due to Covid 19 knocking out all team sports.
I take glucosamine & chondroitin, co-enzyme Q10, calcium & Vitamin D.
I'm not slowed down at all; I'm stronger and healthier than I've ever been. 5'8" 148 lbs.
Yesterday I did a 23.89 km ride. longest I've ever done in my life. Could have been longer but it's very humid and 34 degrees celsius.
I'm 62, female.
Thanks for all the good info here.
Still trying to sort out saddle comfort and hand numbness.
Likes For smakcanada:
Old 07-05-20, 06:47 PM
eagletree

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by smakcanada
When I started last year, I found I was getting numbness in my hands. It turned out that it was a combination of my bike set up and fingerless gloves. The set up had me putting too much weight forward on my hands (according to the LBS). He put a riser on the handlebars and that helped. What I did that helped was went to non-fingerless gloves. They were cutting off circulation in my hands when leaned forward and gripping. It was by accident that when it got cold out, I started wearing different larger insulated gloves and that put the coup de grace on the problem. I have had no numbness since those two changes.
Old 07-06-20, 07:54 AM
smakcanada

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Riser

Originally Posted by eagletree
The set up had me putting too much weight forward on my hands (according to the LBS). He put a riser on the handlebars and that helped. .
So, your handle bars were too close or too low? I think that the handlebars are the issue, but not sure if they could just be raised and try that. Raising the seat to level using a spirit level made a world of difference to the bum pain so I'm learning that very small adjustments can make huge improvements to the ride. I consciously focused yesterday on my posture and not 'lounging' on the handlebars but I still had to shake out my hands a few times over 18 kms.
Old 07-06-20, 08:17 AM
eagletree

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 13 Posts
So, your handle bars were too close or too low? I think that the handlebars are the issue, but not sure if they could just be raised and try that. Raising the seat to level using a spirit level made a world of difference to the bum pain so I'm learning that very small adjustments can make huge improvements to the ride. I consciously focused yesterday on my posture and not 'lounging' on the handlebars but I still had to shake out my hands a few times over 18 kms.
It was both. The LBS replaced the stem with one that could adjust upward and forward a bit, and slid the seat back as far as it could go in the seat mount. The fact is I should have bought a larger frame but purchased a close out Trek Emonda so there were no options. The shop I bought the bike at, was more focused on moving the old stock and I didn't know any better and was blinded by the good price. I went to a different shop for the fitting.

The pain and numbness was caused by the pressure between my thumbs and index fingers I think.
Old 07-10-20, 06:04 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
I just bought a 2020 Specialized Crosstrail. I own a 2001 CCM Newport Cruiser that I hardly ever rode. I live in a hilly town and the heavy cruiser wasn't working. Cycling is all new to me.
i took up riding again this spring due to the pandemic and cancellation of my primary sport: Dragon Boat paddling. Never intended to buy such a fancy bike but so little available due to Covid 19 knocking out all team sports.
I take glucosamine & chondroitin, co-enzyme Q10, calcium & Vitamin D.
I'm not slowed down at all; I'm stronger and healthier than I've ever been. 5'8" 148 lbs.
Yesterday I did a 23.89 km ride. longest I've ever done in my life. Could have been longer but it's very humid and 34 degrees celsius.
I'm 62, female.
Thanks for all the good info here.
Dragon Boat Paddling. Never heard of that until now. Looked it up, too cool.
Old 07-11-20, 11:13 AM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
Please tell us your age. 76

I have one bike: 1973 MKM frame. I built the wheels - Campy NR hubs, Spaim spokes, Sun CR18 rims. Cyclotouriste crank. Suntour ders and brakes. Other assorted parts, including an Arius seatpost, a Spanish Campy clone named after the theologian who was repudiated at the Council of Nicaea.

Wife finally got me to take vitamins B, C, and D once a day

In my 40s, my average speed was around 16 mph. Now it's 11. I used to ride 49-46 in front and 14-26 (6-speed) in back; now it's 45-42 and 14-28 (7 speed).

I used to ride 4-6 days/week; now I need a rest day between rides.

I used to ride well into November; now it gets too cold for my comfort in September, but I'm slowly buying warmer clothes.

I biked as a teenager until I got my driver's license. As an adult, I rode from 28-48, 58-60, 69-present.

By the beginning of June (for the last few years), my usual ride is 20-30 miles. I usually ride alone, because I want to go faster than the slow group of my club, and I can't go fast or far enough to ride with the 2nd slowest group. :-)

I have a Racermate II that I use sporadically during the cold months. Even the sporadic use makes it much easier to rid in the Spring.

2-4 times a week from May-September; less in March, April, October, and November.
I've done 1000, 1100, and 1200 over the last 3 years. I'm at 586 for 2020 as of 7/10, but I just got a pacemaker, and I have to stay off the bike for an uncertain amount of time, but at least a week. A week won;t be a problem, but if the surgery took more out of me than I hope it will, I may have trouble getting to 1,000 this year. My goal for 2020 was 1500 before I had to get the pacemaker.

Last edited by philbob57; 07-11-20 at 11:17 AM.
Old 07-11-20, 04:10 PM
slowpacer

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Please tell us your age.

Flat bar hybrid bike as indicated in my profile

Blood thinner, medications including aspirin, Coq10, fish oil and oregano oil occasionally

Slowed down to 0% 2 years ago could hardly walk, now back up to 50%.

Biked a lot when i was a kid until up to late 30s. Did cycling occasionally after then. 2 years ago had major health issues and stopped. Now i bike about 7-8 miles 3 times a week.

I do pavement rides on street and ride to and from nearby park. Luckily the paths i take have bike lanes.

Mentioned in Q #4
Old 09-27-20, 07:02 PM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Bikes: Diamond Back Insight 2, Gravity Basecamp mountain bike, GMC Denali Road Bike

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 36 Posts
Some questions:

Please tell us your age.

1. I just turned 50 in August.
2. I take a prenatal multivitamin, multimineral, garlic, capsicum, cinnamon, and CoQ10 for the heart because I almost bit the dust two years ago from a takosubo
cardiomyopathy.
3. I do feel like I've slowed down, but it might be, because I'm still recovering from the heart attack, and I have glandular problems.
4. I don't know if I am official cyclist, but I love cycling albeit I do it slowly. I developed a love for bicycles and cycling, when I had to lose 50lbs in six month, in order to
make the cut for Navy boot camp. I did it mostly through riding the Montgomery Wards, bicycle that weighed a ton, the left crank fell off constantly and I had to keep
reattaching it, but I loved that bike. When I was in the Navy, I rode down the Coronado strand, through Imperial beach, Chula Vista, through the dock areas into
downtown San Diego. It was a tough but great ride for me.
5. I used my bike to get around when I was in Downtown LA, carry groceries on, and as a way to get from place to place where there was a train stop. I doubt if I've race
and toyed with the idea of getting into mountain biking. I've always wanted to tour the US from coast to coast, and tour France on a bicycle, though I doubt, neither will
ever come to fruition.

I'm concerned with not being able to get up hills, without my heart blowing up and out through my sternum and getting hit by an inattentive driver.
Old 11-11-20, 08:18 AM
ArneDarvin

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus X 2.0

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Let's Keep This Going!

Please tell us your age.

Mid-50s

I just moved (literally this past Saturday) from a 25+ year old Huffy MTB to a brand new Specialized Sirrus X 2.0. Might be the last sub-$1000 bike in my area until next year.

I have tried taking a multi-vitamin but they seem to make me, um, backed up. I wanted to try the same thing but in gummy form but haven't made that switch yet.

I was never active. It seems the active gene bypassed my family so sports have been an uphill battle. In recent years I have participated in martial arts classes and until the pandemic have been going to the gym regularly. But once the pandemic set in, my gym was questionable regarding cleanliness so I needed to find another way of keeping active. Out came the old MTB which saw more miles put on it between March and April than had been on it in the 25+ years before. Since starting my bicycling odyssey I put nearly 1000 miles on the old steed, trying to get out 4 to 5 times a week for 6 to 10 miles each before work.

I've biked since I got my first big boy bike at 7 years old which was upgraded to a Schwinn racer in my early teens. Then I started driving, using the bike only when a car wasn't available. I stopped cycling until the wife said, not long after our eldest was born, we needed to take up an outdoor activity. We bought matching his/hers MTBs from a local sporting goods authority who was having a sale. But that pesky inactivity gene kicked in not long after and we stopped. It wasn't until we moved to a flatter location that I even started thinking about biking again. But the pandemic forced me to rethink the inactivity gene and got me back in the saddle.

Right now I'm riding 4 to 5 times a week for about 6 to 10 miles a ride. I do like longer rides but I don't have the stamina yet for anything much more than the 22 mile ride I did a few weeks ago. It's mostly for exercise and I do try to get out to the local trails on the weekends and days off.

Since I started tracking in March, I've gone about 1000 miles. But I love it too much to stop. And the flat terrain doesn't hurt either.
Old 11-11-20, 04:22 PM
Roby330i

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay, I'll bite.

Please tell us your age.
Turned 55 last month.

Road/gravel for now. Started with a Cannondale Quick, now I'm on a Giant Defy.
Lately, I've been watching trail riding on MTB. I might give it a try.

Yes. Multivitamins for seniors, as per doctor's orders. Pills for gout and stress too.

I'm guessing I'm about 25% slower but it's improving as I keep riding. It's the steep climbs that are a real struggle.

I rode often as a teen, since it was my main mode of transportation. I stopped as a young adult, but picked it up a few years ago to improve my health.

It was a steep learning curve about how much cycling had changed. Hydraulic disk brakes? Changing gears through the brake lever? Tubeless tires?

Solo endurance. It's all about the adventure. Working on a 25 kph average speed.

A few times a week. Just crossed 4000 kms, since May (86 rides), but that's mostly due to the pandemic.

Hardest part is trying to lose the weigh once you hit a certain point, and the length of time needed to recover between rides.

Last edited by Roby330i; 11-11-20 at 04:26 PM.
Old 11-14-20, 02:32 PM
MoodyBlue

Bikes: Raleigh Pioneer 140 (bought new in England about 10 years ago); Kuwahara mountain bike (of unknown vintage)

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please tell us your age.
61 last month.

10 year old Raleigh Pioneer 140 hybrid (plus a fairly new Kuwahara mountain bike that I picked up on Freecycle but needs work, so I've not been on it yet).

Just glucosamine for my joints.

As I've only reached minimal fitness targets for years, I feel that I'm fitter now than when I was, say, 50..

I had a bike as a kid, then didn't touch one for decades - only really started up this spring, as an antidote to being in the house all day.

Mainly short (18-25 km) rides to improve fitness.

I try to ride a couple of time per week, but have been up and down over time - not as regular as I would like to be. So far, since April, I have done about 850 km.
Old 12-07-20, 02:54 PM
Dave_Chelt

Bikes: Raleigh Quadra, Dancelli Max, Sancineto Max, Chesini Innovation, Chesini K2, Scapin KS-Pro, Cotic Roadrat, Concorde Squadra, Olmo Super Light

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Please tell us your age.
Turned 55 last August

Road. Have tried MTB but not really for me - maybe if I had more time.

No

Not much - I used to row (mostly indoor on a Concept) but got to the point where just looking at the machine gave me a bad back, all my cycling until this February has been recreational but now I’m trying to do some structured training with a view to time trialling and maybe some hill climbing next year. I’m probably pushing out as much power as I ever have on a bike.

I’ve always ridden, sometimes more sometimes less, up until 3 years ago I was doing about 5000 miles a year commuting.

Rides between 50 and 120 miles while the weather is ok, mostly training (dumb mag rollers) during the winter. Solo.

6 times a week, done about 5500 miles since February.

My interest is mainly in steel framed road bikes from 1980’s and 1990’s, although I might someday own a disc braked, wireless geared plastic fantastic!
Old 12-31-20, 10:29 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked 2,263 Times in 1,092 Posts
I have a Marin Coast Trail I bought many years ago to try to get back into shape with. A Trek Domane I bought three years ago when I felt like I wasn't going to get back into cycling shape unless I had a bike I enjoyed. And this year I bought an immaculate '81 Takara because it was in such fantastic condition and so similar to the '82 Takara I bought in high school and that I gave up when I stopped riding regularly.

If I can remember, I'll take a multivitamin.

Because I took basically a 30 year hiatus from regular cycling, I really don't have a clue. But I do think my aluminum Trek has narrowed the margin between what I can do now vs. what I did on a heavy Japanese bike boom entry level bike.

As a kid a bike was my staple toy. As a teen and young adult, I rode from sunrise to bedtime every summer. As I mentioned, I took three decades off but have rode as much as I can the last three years or so.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides, commute, tour, race?
I like casual road rides on Saturday mornings and the opportunity rides I can find in the evening. Mileage varies given my work and family commitments.

If it is warm enough my toes and fingertips don't go numb, I'll ride 3 to 5 times a week. Strava says I rode almost 900 miles this year, but I would have had more had COVID not cancelled the century I planned to train for and my wife working from home during lockdown finding me home improvement projects. The year before I had about 4000 miles I think.

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.?
I am a member of a mentoring program for delinquent and at risk teens that train for two half marathons a year. Returning to cycling has been a great cross training activity.

I turned 56 this year and love cycling more now than ever.

Last edited by Chuck M; 12-31-20 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12-31-20, 12:59 PM
Snotrub

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Carbon Flash 2; 2017 Cannondale CAADX 105; 2021 Trek Domane SL6; 2021 Trek Top Fuel 9.7

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 42 Posts
I've enjoyed reading people's responses, so I'll add mine

Please tell us your age.

I ride Gravel, Road and MTB with my passion being mountain bikes. I ride road and gravel to be in better shape to ride off road.

None

I've slowed down considerably, but I took a few years off of the bike. I raced mountain and road bikes for over 20 years and got burned out. I ride for fun now and and really enjoying being back on the bike.

I rode everywhere as a kid, but I bought my first mountain bike in 1986 at the Tune Up bike shop in Gunnison, CO while I was a sophomore at Western State. I've been riding ever since and started racing in 1995.

Right now I'm just trying to get back in shape and lose some pounds. I won't race again, but I have some bucket list rides I want to do the biggest being riding the major climbs of the Tour de France, i.e. Alpe duHuez, Mont Ventoux and others

4 to 5 days a week when weather permits. I don't know my annual mileage and really don't care. I used to put in over 10,000 miles a year when I was racing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.