Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Catching the draft... how close is too close?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Catching the draft... how close is too close?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-20, 06:25 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
I guess I didnt realize the uniqueness of the North Shore scene. This past weekend Three guys passed me and I jumped on their wheel. With the four of us total age probably exeeded 250 yrs. I allowed them to rotate the lead, I hung in the back. We were all similar build so I was getting an excellent draft. When they picked up the pace is when I tucked in close to the wheel in front of me to get maximum draft effect. I only ride on weekends so my conditioning is not the best. So riding really close can make my effort considerably less. And thats when I started thinking, hmm how close is too close?

Maybe its the abundance of riders with abundance of experience that makes it accepted to draft at will. Or maybe its the parade-like atmosphere. So many riders all with somewhat the same intention. Its just commonplace to jump in to any group that passes. From responses this is not the norm. Here in my neighborhood its just what we do.
Dude, why? You have just hit reset and started the whole discussion again.
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 07-14-20, 06:32 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
And thats when I started thinking, hmm how close is too close?

Maybe its the abundance of riders with abundance of experience that makes it accepted to draft at will. Or maybe its the parade-like atmosphere. So many riders all with somewhat the same intention. Its just commonplace to jump in to any group that passes. From responses this is not the norm. Here in my neighborhood its just what we do.
Cool story, but you still aren't understanding why people can't/won't answer your question. Presuming you decide to follow a rider you don't know, have never followed before, and know neither if they have 1 week or 10 years of riding experience -- how can it be answered as to what's a safe distance to follow from?
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 07-14-20, 06:32 AM
upthywazzoo 

Bikes: 1984 Trek 770

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 37 Posts
Old 07-14-20, 07:00 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4234 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Cool story, but you still aren't understanding why people can't/won't answer your question. Presuming you decide to follow a rider you don't know, have never followed before, and know neither if they have 1 week or 10 years of riding experience -- how can it be answered as to what's a safe distance to follow from?
This, but also sucking wheel for a long time and not taking your turn pulling is kind of a dick move. I keep going back and forth between the "don't draft strangers uninvited" and the "don't only be a taker, give something back too" arguments, but maybe they wouldn't trust you enough to draft you, so maybe it's a moot point.
Old 07-14-20, 07:09 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 351 Posts
​​​​​​Oh, I give them a glance, see that they're experienced and jump on. I was thinking thats just a given. Why would I jump into a group of novices.
Old 07-14-20, 07:10 AM
AlgarveCycling

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
If I see a lone cyclist or group ahead who are riding/training at a slower pace, I'll pass them and greet them. If they invite me to join them, I'll decide in the moment but otherwise I will continue my ride alone.

Quite often, I want to train alone anyway - HIIT, Time Trials etc, I'm working against my previous times and don't want any help. If I pick up someone drafting me, they have to understand if I'm doing HIIT and not in one sequence but over the course of many punchy hills etc, then I'm going to be going full gas and then slowing to recover without warning - not ideal for someone just looking for a wheel to save energy from. I love sprint training so do it a lot. If I'm against the clock for a particular route, I'll let the person drafting know and they can suck the wheel but not help. I don't have any big issues with anyone on my wheel, I'm more concerned with my own training not being interrupted and if they can stay on my wheel, they must have some reasonable cycling experience.

Typically my Group rides are Club rides or pre-arranged training with others outside of racing. Joining others on the road is very rare. Happily, while I mentioned my views on others hopping onto my wheel, it hasn't happened in the past year so very rare too.
Likes For AlgarveCycling:
Old 07-14-20, 07:35 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
​​​​​​Oh, I give them a glance, see that they're experienced and jump on. I was thinking thats just a given. Why would I jump into a group of novices.
My problem with wheelsuckers is nobody ever asked me. All of a sudden, there's just a guy a foot off my wheel, and I never offered to be his personal windbreak. If they can't manage that speed on their own, they can't manage it at all, AFAIC.

The more experienced a rider is, the more I think they'd be put out by someone trying to come and leech off the work they're doing. Wanna feed off of a draft? Get with a group that all has the same intentions.

Uninvited drafting is like hopping into a pick-up basketball game and just taking random shots.
Old 07-14-20, 07:45 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope

Uninvited drafting is like hopping into a pick-up basketball game and just taking random shots.

Old 07-14-20, 07:55 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I guess I didnt realize the uniqueness of the North Shore scene.
This is the point that everyone seems to miss. On a Saturday morning along Sheridan Road it's more like a fondo or an organized century than just some stretch of road most people are used to. On the 15 miles from Ft. Sheridan to Bahai I might pass several dozen riders in the same direction and several hundred going the other way. I doubt there are very many stretches of road in the world like that.
Old 07-14-20, 08:06 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by kingston
This is the point that everyone seems to miss. On a Saturday morning along Sheridan Road it's more like a fondo or an organized century than just some stretch of road most people are used to. On the 15 miles from Ft. Sheridan to Bahai I might pass several dozen riders in the same direction and several hundred going the other way. I doubt there are very many stretches of road in the world like that.
Ok, 15 miles with hundreds of riders still allows a couple bike lengths. It doesn't sound like it's so densely packed that one is forced to draft random strangers?
Old 07-14-20, 08:08 AM
dr_max

Bikes: BMC SLC01 Promachine with full DA grupo on Ksyrium ES/ BMC Roadmachine 01 One disc Ultegra with DT Swiss

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by upthywazzoo
This is interesting. Don't you feel more at risk drafting in a TT position?
I get out of the aero bars when I am behind so I can hold the brakes
Old 07-14-20, 08:13 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Ok, 15 miles with hundreds of riders still allows a couple bike lengths. It doesn't sound like it's so densely packed that one is forced to draft random strangers?
No one is forced to do anything, but that's what people do. Especially the senior B/C riders the OP is hooking up with. It's really not that big of a deal. If you are fast it is literally impossible to always maintain 30' distance since you do have to pass a lot of slower riders.
Old 07-14-20, 08:27 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
I guess I didnt realize the uniqueness of the North Shore scene. This past weekend Three guys passed me and I jumped on their wheel. With the four of us total age probably exeeded 250 yrs. I allowed them to rotate the lead, I hung in the back. We were all similar build so I was getting an excellent draft. When they picked up the pace is when I tucked in close to the wheel in front of me to get maximum draft effect. I only ride on weekends so my conditioning is not the best. So riding really close can make my effort considerably less. And thats when I started thinking, hmm how close is too close?
So you jumped in uninvited, and then didn't even take a pull?? Stop sucking wheels and get up front, maybe your fitness will improve.
Old 07-14-20, 08:35 AM
Jack Tone 

Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
That's what I do when I don't want people to draft me. I wear my jersey that says "Novice".
Likes For Jack Tone:
Old 07-14-20, 08:38 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by kingston
No one is forced to do anything, but that's what people do. Especially the senior B/C riders the OP is hooking up with. It's really not that big of a deal. If you are fast it is literally impossible to always maintain 30' distance since you do have to pass a lot of slower riders.
It does sound like a unique-ish area/experience. Is there then an implicit understanding amongst anyone on Sheridan road.. that if you ride there, prepare to be drafted or made part of paceline?

Here's how works out here, and how I think it works in most necks of the woods. If you want to ride with a group, you join that group or club, and meet them at the organized start of the scheduled ride. With some group rides there's no joining necessary, but you are supposed to be at the scheduled start point at the designated time (eg. LBS "shop rides" or similar).

Maybe sounds like your area could benefit from more clubs? That way riders know each other at least to some extent before heading out. And, there's no uncertainty as to whether the person you're following wants to be followed or absorbed into a paceline.
Old 07-14-20, 08:39 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
My problem with wheelsuckers is nobody ever asked me. All of a sudden, there's just a guy a foot off my wheel, and I never offered to be his personal windbreak. If they can't manage that speed on their own, they can't manage it at all, AFAIC.

The more experienced a rider is, the more I think they'd be put out by someone trying to come and leech off the work they're doing. Wanna feed off of a draft? Get with a group that all has the same intentions.

My favorite is when I suddenly notice an ******* sucking my wheel and ask him to stop. "Oh it's ok, I'm just recovering." Recover somewhere else, *******.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 07-14-20, 09:09 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

It does sound like a unique-ish area/experience. Is there then an implicit understanding amongst anyone on Sheridan road.. that if you ride there, prepare to be drafted or made part of paceline?
I've never thought about it that way, but yes, there is an implicit understanding that informal groups will form because they do, and people are normally pretty friendly about it. I don't like group rides, and even I find myself following or being followed by one or two riders for at least a couple minutes on just about every ride. A notable exception are the race teams who don't want random people joining their training ride, but the OP isn't going to be able to keep up with those guys anyway and they all have matching outfits so they're easy to spot and avoid.

Here's how works out here, and how I think it works in most necks of the woods. If you want to ride with a group, you join that group or club, and meet them at the organized start of the scheduled ride. With some group rides there's no joining necessary, but you are supposed to be at the scheduled start point at the designated time (eg. LBS "shop rides" or similar).

Maybe sounds like your area could benefit from more clubs? That way riders know each other at least to some extent before heading out. And, there's no uncertainty as to whether the person you're following wants to be followed or absorbed into a paceline.
Clubs are the same here. There are dozens of clubs on the Northshore. No shortage. I actually suggested in an earlier post that the OP join one. I'm starting to see some of them out on the road again.
Old 07-14-20, 09:11 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
My favorite is when I suddenly notice an ******* sucking my wheel and ask him to stop. "Oh it's ok, I'm just recovering." Recover somewhere else, *******.
Just hit him with a snot rocket.
Likes For kingston:
Old 07-14-20, 09:11 AM
big chainring 

Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
So you jumped in uninvited, and then didn't even take a pull?? Stop sucking wheels and get up front, maybe your fitness will improve.
Think of it as a kind of motorpacing. I'm getting great training out if it. When a rider rotates back I layoff the back and let the rider drop in ahead of me so not to get in there way. Get it?
If I took a turn I would only hinder their progress. The other guys pointed out road debris fir me and had no issue with me hanging on.

Last edited by big chainring; 07-14-20 at 09:24 AM.
Old 07-14-20, 09:13 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts

At times I think posts like this are created by the Hosts to increase traffic and thus revenue on this forum. Completely ridiculous.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 07-14-20, 09:17 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Think of it as a kind of motorpacing. I'm getting great training out if it. When a rider rotates back I layoff the back and let the rider drop in ahead of me so not to get in there way. Get it?
Oh everyone gets what you’re doing. You’d obviously get better training without the draft, though, because you’d have to work harder. You just want to go faster than you can, and you don’t care about anything else.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 07-14-20, 09:26 AM
big chainring 

Originally Posted by velopig
At times I think posts like this are created by the Hosts to increase traffic and thus revenue on this forum. Completely ridiculous.
You should come experience the ridiculous-ness.
Old 07-14-20, 09:30 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 918 Post(s)
Liked 1,151 Times in 491 Posts
So a hermetically sealed oval tube (with regulation flooring of course) seems would be conducive with no stands, and no center of the track area.
Hyperloop.
Likes For RChung:
Old 07-14-20, 09:31 AM
big chainring 

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Oh everyone gets what you’re doing. You’d obviously get better training without the draft, though, because you’d have to work harder. You just want to go faster than you can, and you don’t care about anything else.
Thats not it at all. Is this the road forum?
Old 07-14-20, 10:08 AM
upthywazzoo 

Bikes: 1984 Trek 770

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 37 Posts
Thats not it at all. Is this the road forum?
If asked whether drafting is safe, the more vocal posters here will say it's absolutely unsafe at any distance. I think as a cyclist you assume certain risks while riding and ultimately it's up to you and the person/people you're drafting to decide whether the risks are worth the enjoyment. It's dickish to latch onto a wheel unannounced just as it would be to randomly slide in next to someone on the sidewalk and put your arm around their waist. Ask first. But if everyone is a consenting adult--well, that's no one else's business.

Interestingly, there's some legal literature about drafting that's explained here: https://www.zifflaw.com/ny-bike-acci...ion-of-ny-law/.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.