Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

A Bike is a Bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

A Bike is a Bike

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-20, 12:16 PM
dr_max

Bikes: BMC SLC01 Promachine with full DA grupo on Ksyrium ES/ BMC Roadmachine 01 One disc Ultegra with DT Swiss

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Interestingly, we're doing that experiment right now, with many, many folks buying only what they need and not over consuming and we have 50 million unemployed in the US alone. "Overconsumption" of goods keeps a lt of mouths fed. There may be a different or better way of doing this, but that's rather beyond the scope of a road cycling forum.
yes, buying multiple cars, multiple $15,000 bikes and multiple things you don’t need will keep à lof of mouths fed in a system where more than 56% workers couldn’t live without 1 week of salary because of the depts they contracted over time by over consuming themselves things they doesn’t need.

I guess you are a proponent of the « Dont blame the player, blame the game » philosophy.
Old 07-20-20, 12:17 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Interestingly, we're doing that experiment right now, with many, many folks buying only what they need and not over consuming and we have 50 million unemployed in the US alone. "Overconsumption" of goods keeps a lt of mouths fed. There may be a different or better way of doing this, but that's rather beyond the scope of a road cycling forum.
Much of that goes the other way, with vendors unable to offer their services for sale (or knock-ons, like no traveling to races that aren’t happening). The point stands, though. If we unwind all of these “frivolous” spends, we’ll wind up not much above the subsistence farming my parents and my in-laws and many people worked very hard to get their children out of.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 07-20-20, 12:18 PM
dr_max

Bikes: BMC SLC01 Promachine with full DA grupo on Ksyrium ES/ BMC Roadmachine 01 One disc Ultegra with DT Swiss

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
You only ride 5,000 km a year?

You'll never get very good on such low mileage.
5000km in 6 months outdoor
cross country skiing during winter
running during autumn and spring

triathlon schedule too
Old 07-20-20, 12:18 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10419 Post(s)
Liked 11,880 Times in 6,086 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_max
You think you grew up when you started liking Porsche’s that you were envying when you were young. But you just entered the capitalistic consumption system where the American dream makes people around your judge you as someone who succeeded by showing them how many possession you have. I don’t even look at the bike someone is riding on Strava or in real life, as long as they enjoy riding outdoors and don’t represent themselves by their belongings, it will be a fun person to ride with.
No, I grew up when I stopped thinking I deserved them, and others didn't, because I could enjoy them and I believed they couldn't.

And I think that what the Pro Riders who need to climb the Zoncolan will have more influence to the bike development than some people who do not know what they need to cruise at 120 watts in double file for week end group rides
Yes, but the pro riders don't pay for it, do they? It's all the Freds riding the $10,000 bicycles, and demi-freds riding the $3000 bicycles. I can tell you, as an old fat guy who rides bikes in the demi-fred category, there aren't enough riders passing me on an average weekend ride to pay for all that techological development.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-20-20, 12:21 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts

triathlon schedule too
So mediocre at everything?
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 07-20-20, 12:23 PM
dr_max

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Much of that goes the other way, with vendors unable to offer their services for sale (or knock-ons, like no traveling to races that aren’t happening). The point stands, though. If we unwind all of these “frivolous” spends, we’ll wind up not much above the subsistence farming my parents and my in-laws and many people worked very hard to get their children out of.
my grand parents bought a refrigerator that worked for 50 years.
these days you are lucky if it lasts more than 10 years.
do we justify throwing 4 away in dumpsters sent overseas

you think iPhones should be obsolete after 2 years so we have to change every 2 years to keep our ways of life at whatever ecological cost possible to justify what your parents were running away?
dr_max

So mediocre at everything?
you can describe your life like that if you want.

my life is passionate at everything
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
You only ride 5,000 km a year?

You'll never get very good on such low mileage.
Yes, and I don't think spending $5k on a bike can be justified for only 5,000 km per year.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-20-20, 12:24 PM
rubiksoval

Passionate doesn't equal good. At all.
Old 07-20-20, 12:26 PM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Yes, and I don't think spending $5k on a bike can be justified for only 5,000 km per year.
A dollar per km a year.

Gets more bang for the buck the slower he goes, I guess.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 07-20-20, 12:27 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

my grand parents bought a refrigerator that worked for 50 years.
these days you are lucky if it lasts more than 10 years.
do we justify throwing 4 away in dumpsters sent overseas

you think iPhones should be obsolete after 2 years so we have to change every 2 years to keep our ways of life at whatever ecological cost possible to justify what your parents were running away?
There's a term for this. "The Paradox Of Thrift", where what is INDIVIDUALLY virtuous - living within your means, buying only what you need, making do with less - is disastrous when practiced throughout an economy. If everyone buys only what they need, a lot of people CAN'T buy what they need, because their paycheck depends on people buying things they don't need.

And we've taken a turn down a longer and bumpier road than we were expecting when we threw leg over saddle, haven't we?

Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-20-20, 12:28 PM
AlgarveCycling

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
no, don’t spend more that what you need to be happy. Not to show to others what you can buy.
Do you think you are qualified to decide what others need to be happy? This is going to annoy you but I have spent over 23000 euros on bikes in the past 12 months alone. My wife's e-bike, my 29er MTB and my two road bikes. Guess what? I've got a Dura Ace Di2 group on order for one of them as an upgrade. Wheels upgrade will follow. Makes me happy. You, me, most of us spend more than we need to on this great sport/hobby. Neither of us really needs more than an entry-level road bike but we both have more than that. Why?

Because we can, and we want to. Sure, some folks like to impress others. It happens, human nature, they want to show how well they have done in life via financial means. So what? It doesn't hurt anyone. Let them.
Most who can afford luxury don't do so for showing off though - that is a construct of your own bias that you are falsely projecting because of some warped ideology. Most buy the best that they can afford simply because they want the best that they can afford - that's what makes them happy.

Do you live in a basic home? Or do you have more rooms than you need? Car? Is it all you need or more? Do you eat frugally too, not buying a better cut of steak or organic produce because basic is all you need?
The ideology you want to project is mired in a rats nest of potential hypocrisy.
Old 07-20-20, 12:31 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by AlgarveCycling
The ideology you want to project is mired in a rats nest of potential hypocrisy.
Potential?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-20-20, 12:31 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

(And what about those of us who own not 1 x $13,000 bike, but rather 4 x $2-3000 bikes? Clearly I don't NEED 4 road bikes, esp considering how far I DON'T ride. But I appreciate the qualities of each, and I ride all of them in their turn)

Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-20-20, 12:32 PM
a77impala
a77impala

Bikes: 04=LeMond Arravee, 08 LeMond Versailles, 92 Trek 970

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
I have three road bikes, one carbon, one titanium and one steel, all with 9 speed cassettes with 11/32 gears and 50/32 in front. The biggest difference is the steel one is harder to carry up the steps to our second floor apartment!
Old 07-20-20, 12:32 PM
AlgarveCycling

triathlon schedule too
So not a lot, really. Average? I'm not being flippant either. I'm at nearly double that with more than 100m climbed per 10km too on average. I know plenty doing more than me as well.
Old 07-20-20, 12:36 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by a77impala
I have three road bikes, one carbon, one titanium and one steel, all with 9 speed cassettes with 11/32 gears and 50/32 in front. The biggest difference is the steel one is harder to carry up the steps to our second floor apartment!
The advantage of living in a house - only 4 steps to carry the steel bike up.

Old 07-20-20, 12:39 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
didnt u read the post

there are 3 categories

there is also the one of strong riders with expensive bikes

any argument you bring
anything you say

in the eyes of strong riders, if you are a slow rider with an expensive bike, you are a show off

you can lie to your as much as you want but the world will see you for what you really are
Is showing off evil?
Old 07-20-20, 12:40 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts

Passion is the root of all evil.
Old 07-20-20, 12:51 PM
farnorth51

Bikes: Tour Easy, Gold Rush, EZ-1, EZ-3, Bike E, Bike E tandem, Double Vision, Easy Rider SC, Invacare Handcrank, Vision R-40,

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
a bike is a bike

Originally Posted by bikemig
I don't think the question is whether the technology has improved--it has. The question is whether it makes much of a difference on a flattish group ride. My guess is likely not.
UCI banned recumbents in 1933!
Old 07-20-20, 12:53 PM
farnorth51

Bikes: Tour Easy, Gold Rush, EZ-1, EZ-3, Bike E, Bike E tandem, Double Vision, Easy Rider SC, Invacare Handcrank, Vision R-40,

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
I don't think the question is whether the technology has improved--it has. The question is whether it makes much of a difference on a flattish group ride. My guess is likely not.
The UCI banned recumbents in 1933!
Likes For farnorth51:
Old 07-20-20, 01:02 PM
dr_max

Originally Posted by AlgarveCycling
Do you think you are qualified to decide what others need to be happy? This is going to annoy you but I have spent over 23000 euros on bikes in the past 12 months alone. My wife's e-bike, my 29er MTB and my two road bikes. Guess what? I've got a Dura Ace Di2 group on order for one of them as an upgrade. Wheels upgrade will follow. Makes me happy. You, me, most of us spend more than we need to on this great sport/hobby. Neither of us really needs more than an entry-level road bike but we both have more than that. Why?

Because we can, and we want to. Sure, some folks like to impress others. It happens, human nature, they want to show how well they have done in life via financial means. So what? It doesn't hurt anyone. Let them.
Most who can afford luxury don't do so for showing off though - that is a construct of your own bias that you are falsely projecting because of some warped ideology. Most buy the best that they can afford simply because they want the best that they can afford - that's what makes them happy.

Do you live in a basic home? Or do you have more rooms than you need? Car? Is it all you need or more? Do you eat frugally too, not buying a better cut of steak or organic produce because basic is all you need?
Vegan home
Multigeneration LEED certified home
Solar roof
bike commuting when I can downtown hospital
Tesla Model 3 for the night calls at the country hospital
I lend my mountain bike is half the time to friend so they can enjoy outdoors sun en he doesn’t but have one

if you wanna see a hypocrite, go look into the mirror my friend
Old 07-20-20, 01:09 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I ride my $5,000+ custom ti bike less than that. I also didn’t feel the need to justify the expenditure to anyone, including myself. I bought what I wanted and could afford it.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-20-20, 01:20 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I ride my $5,000+ custom ti bike less than that. I also didn’t feel the need to justify the expenditure to anyone, including myself. I bought what I wanted and could afford it.
My comment was aimed at Dr Self Righteous. I don’t actually care how much anyone spends on a bike.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-20-20, 01:35 PM
AlgarveCycling

Vegan home
Multigeneration LEED certified home
Solar roof
bike commuting when I can downtown hospital
Tesla Model 3 for the night calls at the country hospital
I lend my mountain bike is half the time to friend so they can enjoy outdoors sun en he doesn’t but have one

if you wanna see a hypocrite, go look into the mirror my friend

You are amusing, if nothing else. Immaturity and a lack of real experience shows though - you keep projecting nonsense based upon an evidently deep-seated need to feel superior somehow.

While I certainly don't need to explain/justify anything to some random on the internet, I'll humour you just as an example of how our usernames hide people with vastly different backgrounds to you.

I grew up in Apartheid South Africa. I've witnessed the worst of have and have-not society. My Father put two kids through school and University alongside my sisters and I from impoverished households. I've had my home vandalised, ransacked 3 times, been shot at by armed burglars, been hijacked, been involved in a bad situation saving my sister from the man who was raping her and I lost my mother to violence when I was a teenager. I've also had an extremely privileged life. A comparatively luxurious one compared to very many folks I grew up with and worked with.

I arrived in my birth country, the UK, in my late 20's with less than two weeks rent to my name and forged a living - a good one. I bought the Porsche 911 I wanted for my fortieth birthday (997.2 C2); a goal alongside a really good home that I had set for myself. I support 3 charities - two for kids, one in the UK, one in SA and Save the Rhino in SA. I could do more, sure, we all could but we also enjoy the trappings of our personal good fortune. I'm no altruist, I admit that. But I do something to help, however small, those less lucky. I live in a country and region now that also has great disparities of wealth. Many of my friends locally earn in a year what I make in a month. I have bought two of them bike upgrades, cycle clothing etc in 'devious' little ways so that they don't feel I am stepping on their pride. I live in a luxury sea-view home within walking distance of some of Europe's finest beaches - yeah, solar PV & thermal, rainwater capture, low energy, the works and an EV car; none of that makes us virtuous by the way - I love green energy but it doesn't signal I'm 'better' like you seem to think it does in your case.

I 'work' from home, no commute. Wife likewise. Vegan? You can stick that right up your backside! I'm a carnivore and make no apologies! But all of this us just a pissing contest. You want us to believe you are against showing off by trying to hide your own showing off with false justifications - you are virtue signalling as a means to desperately explain to us why you 'need' your lifestyle and what you have. Do you not see this? Vegan. LEED home. Solar. Helping friends but wanting recognition (fine, but recognise why...) all signals you want to be seen as superior somehow and, in your own mind, only having what you need because you have bought into an ideology that appeals to you.
Likes For AlgarveCycling:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.