Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Help me with my wobbly Diverge - Front Futureshock

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-20, 12:21 PM
boxrick

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello folks! I have recently purchased a second hand Specialized Diverge 2018 model.

I have upgraded a few things on it ( wheels, handlebar, stem and brakes ) and whilst doing some initial riding the front end didn't quite feel 'right' it felt like what a loose headset would feel like on another bike.
It actually seems the front end is wobbling slightly ever so much left and right just a few millimetres , so I watched a variety of Future shock videos and tightened ( even overtightened ) the preload. It made literally no difference.

So I assumed there may be something wrong with the bearings so I purchased a couple of brand new bearings, pulled the whole unit apart cleaned it all up and re-greased and followed the manuals and videos online and set up the pre-load correctly again. The front end feels smoother, but the wobble is still present.

I have taken a video and some pictures but these forums won't let me share any links or pictures until I have 10 posts... But searching Youtube below will at least show you a quick video. As I get 10 posts I will relink the things here. I am hoping someone can help me out?

I am wondering if it is something to do with the spacers which came on the bike.

Youtube: QTWBIZQSq8c
Old 08-02-20, 01:00 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts

I can't tell from the video where the movement you talk about really is. But the way you are shaking it, are you sure the axle or wheel bearings aren't too loose?
Old 08-02-20, 01:08 PM
boxrick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I can't tell from the video where the movement you talk about really is. But the way you are shaking it, are you sure the axle or wheel bearings aren't too loose?
The movement is horizontal the wheels are brand new, but I have a few wheels I can swap over from my other bikes and some different thru axles. I will give this a try, thanks for the pointer!
Old 08-02-20, 01:19 PM
boxrick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by boxrick
The movement is horizontal the wheels are brand new, but I have a few wheels I can swap over from my other bikes and some different thru axles. I will give this a try, thanks for the pointer!
So a completely different set of wheels with a different thru axle of the correct size did nothing.. I also made sure it was tight enough.
Old 08-02-20, 02:11 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 430 Posts
I don't have direct experience with that unit, but as with all suspension systems there is a piston/cylinder unit. It looks like there is play between the piston and cylinder. That unit may not be serviceable. A quick search shows a replacement unit costs about $250, so hopefully that's not the problem.
Old 08-02-20, 02:39 PM
boxrick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
I don't have direct experience with that unit, but as with all suspension systems there is a piston/cylinder unit. It looks like there is play between the piston and cylinder. That unit may not be serviceable. A quick search shows a replacement unit costs about $250, so hopefully that's not the problem.
I actually have a couple more of these futureshock bikes. So I pulled the unit off one of my other ones and stuck it in this one. It isn’t perfect but it’s massively improved.

Something tells me this May me the problem.
Old 08-03-20, 05:21 AM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Comp

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 28 Posts
Hello folks! I have recently purchased a second hand Specialized Diverge 2018 model.

I have upgraded a few things on it ( wheels, handlebar, stem and brakes ) and whilst doing some initial riding the front end didn't quite feel 'right' it felt like what a loose headset would feel like on another bike.
It actually seems the front end is wobbling slightly ever so much left and right just a few millimetres , so I watched a variety of Future shock videos and tightened ( even overtightened ) the preload. It made literally no difference.

So I assumed there may be something wrong with the bearings so I purchased a couple of brand new bearings, pulled the whole unit apart cleaned it all up and re-greased and followed the manuals and videos online and set up the pre-load correctly again. The front end feels smoother, but the wobble is still present.

I have taken a video and some pictures but these forums won't let me share any links or pictures until I have 10 posts... But searching Youtube below will at least show you a quick video. As I get 10 posts I will relink the things here. I am hoping someone can help me out?

I am wondering if it is something to do with the spacers which came on the bike.

I had that issue with my 2018 Diverge Comp. After MANY trips to the bike shop, I determined via my own inspections and diagnosis that the Future shock had completely failed. I insisted on a warranty replacement. While the bike shop was not in agreement Specialized did not hesitate to send me a replacement. Problem solved.
Old 08-04-20, 09:13 PM
boxrick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rbrides
I had that issue with my 2018 Diverge Comp. After MANY trips to the bike shop, I determined via my own inspections and diagnosis that the Future shock had completely failed. I insisted on a warranty replacement. While the bike shop was not in agreement Specialized did not hesitate to send me a replacement. Problem solved.
Thanks for this, I emailed Specialized on Monday. Had no reply yet but hopefully they will be able to help me, or at a minimum sell me a new cartridge...
Old 08-05-20, 07:28 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by rbrides
There are a lot of posts about Future Shock warranty issues I have seen around... As this is used, you likely will be on the hook for cost of replacement if it is defective. Was it that way when you bought it?
Old 08-07-20, 05:39 PM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Comp

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 28 Posts
I bought my Diverge new so the failure on the future shock was (eventually) a warranty replacement.
Old 08-08-20, 06:58 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Yep, the "shock" is dead. Replacement needed. Done a few already.
Old 08-09-20, 09:02 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Yep, the "shock" is dead. Replacement needed. Done a few already.
What actually wears out on these? If a new unit is $250 and these are failing regularly, that gets my attention as something I ought to look into producing as an aftermarket replacement item.

Do you have any failed units sitting around?
Old 08-24-20, 01:17 PM
boxrick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joejack951
What actually wears out on these? If a new unit is $250 and these are failing regularly, that gets my attention as something I ought to look into producing as an aftermarket replacement item.

Do you have any failed units sitting around?
Specialized were quite useless in responses. I ended up going back to the shop where it was bought from and sharing what I had found, I think Specialized have now arranged a replacement part.
Old 03-05-24, 10:19 AM
tompan1976

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have had a similar issue on my 2019 Diverge. I have decided to buy $80 future shock delete kit on Ebay as refuse to pay $250 for replacement future shock item every 500 hours as it's a non serviceable part , in other words you have to buy another unit. very disappointed that Specialized don't supply this unit / parts to replace / don't supply bike with delete item.

Tom
Old 03-05-24, 03:57 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,541 Times in 1,407 Posts
Why are you reviving a zombie?
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 03-05-24, 05:00 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
https://youtu.be/QTWBIZQSq8c

The handlebar is wiggling but the fork isn't. I don't know how you would wiggle the wheel using the handlebar without wiggling the fork.

Something is amiss in the attachment of the stem to the steerer.
Old 03-08-24, 07:23 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbobcat
The handlebar is wiggling but the fork isn't. I don't know how you would wiggle the wheel using the handlebar without wiggling the fork.

Something is amiss in the attachment of the stem to the steerer.
The shock cartridge is worn out, so there's rotational movement. But that was four years ago so he's probably fixed it by now.
Likes For grumpus:
Old 03-08-24, 09:52 AM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by grumpus
The shock cartridge is worn out, so there's rotational movement. But that was four years ago so he's probably fixed it by now.
Suckered into a zombie thread again. Thanks, grumpus.