Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Why Choose Fixed Gear/Single Speed Touring?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-12, 02:02 AM
FullTimeFixie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all. I am on a 1 year self motivated challenge to use a Fixed Gear bike as my main form of transport. I've got a flip flop hub, so I think using the freewheel side sometimes is still ok, as long as it's done in the spirit of things.

My first ever cycle tour is coming up next week. I guess I'll decide on route whether I need to switch to the freewheel or not. My route won't be very hilly, but the most important thing to me is to ENJOY it and to FINISH, so I've no problem freewheeling if I end up getting exhausted.

But it's really got me thinking - WHY tour on a Fixed Gear? Why would anyone want to do that? Having used a Fixie for 6 months, I know it's more fun, I know it's more challenging but it's also the most inefficient and tiring way to ride. Over long distances, using a Fixie is beginning to sound silly. Yet I'm going to do my little tour SS or FG, because I said I would and because I don't have any other bike.

Those of your who Tour on a Fixed Gear, tell me why you do it? Is it because you're rock hard and just don't find geared touring hard enough? Are there other benefits and advantages I'm unaware of? I'd love to hear an argument FOR Fixed Gear Touring, because I've spent the last month going to bike shops for touring kit and getting a sharp-intake-of-breath from staff when they see that my bike has only one gear.

Last edited by FullTimeFixie; 07-10-12 at 02:23 AM.
Old 07-10-12, 02:40 AM
bael

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Read this thread:https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...d-Gear-Century
Old 07-10-12, 06:25 AM
LessonLearned

Bikes: https://www.pedalroom.com/bike/2008-se-lager-brown-6612

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FullTimeFixie
getting a sharp-intake-of-breath from staff when they see that my bike has only one gear.
This. This is why I choose FG.

But seriously, if you've been riding FG for 6 months and you still have to ask why anyone would do it... maybe fixed gear riding is not for you.

I've only been riding FG for a couple weeks but I would never go back to a freewheel, and I would certainly not go back to having multiple gears. But then again, I only ride 15 miles a day on average, so I know very little about FG touring.
Old 07-10-12, 06:44 AM
SteamingAlong

Bikes: 2011 Steamroller; 1998 Cannondale F-400; 1981 Motobecane Jubilee Sport

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm actually riding with an eye towards riding the P-B-P in 2015. You might want to think about lowering your gear ratio if you're going to be carrying alot of stuff.
Old 07-10-12, 07:03 AM
Nakedbabytoes

Bikes: 1974 KoKo Sport 3000, 1987 Lotus Elite 600, 2003 Qunitana Roo Kilo tri

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great read, thanks!
Old 07-10-12, 07:19 AM
hockeyteeth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whoa, I've done some fully loaded touring, and I don't see why you would choose either SS or FG for touring if your main objectives are FUN and FINISHING. My bike weighed a little over 50 pounds and I couldn't imagine slogging uphill with a gear ratio that would also keep my from spinning out on flat terrain. I was very grateful for my 1:1 gear ratio in some hilly areas. I used front and rear panniers, so wind was a serious impediment on some windy days. And some days you just feel exhausted and s***ty because you couldn't get a good night's sleep. You should do a couple day trips while fully loaded on a fixed gear to get a feel for that style of riding and then determine if you want to go for the long haul with a fixed gear. Personally, I would only consider it if I was credit card touring.
Old 07-10-12, 07:47 AM
misskaz
sqrl

Bikes: bieks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My friend does our Chicago-Milwaukee century on a fixed gear. Not sure why, although I think it's his only bike. He doesn't get wiped out and our route has few hills. I think it's fun, and it's a challenge (but an achievable one without killing himself).

His bike:

new (old) panniers by kidmissile, on Flickr

(You can see it's a nice easy gear ratio.) I wouldn't do it because my FG bike isn't the right kind of bike for it. My neck and shoulders would be killing me after 25 miles. My friend's is a conversion and is a comfortable position for long hauls and can fit a rack and panniers and fenders and all that. Mine can't fit a rack so there's no way I'd carry everything on my back for 7-8 hours.
Old 07-10-12, 07:56 AM
LessonLearned

Bikes: https://www.pedalroom.com/bike/2008-se-lager-brown-6612

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by misskaz
I wouldn't do it because my FG bike isn't the right kind of bike for it. My neck and shoulders would be killing me after 25 miles.
+1

Didn't used to feel that way but now with these new Nitto RB21's I installed... noticeably more drop. The normal/middle position is good but I need to find a way to be more comfortable in the drops if I want to ride long distance. Taller stem is probably the answer. I have a 17 degree rise and a 90mm length. Do they make stems that rise much more than that? Might need to get a new fork with a longer steering tube and add another spacer.

EDIT: ignore this post, new thread created.

Last edited by LessonLearned; 07-10-12 at 08:55 AM.
Old 07-10-12, 08:50 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Honestly, I'd use a multispeed bike for your "first ever cycle tour" just so you can find out if you'll enjoy that. Don't make it miserable just because you've been drinking the Kool-Aid lately.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 07-10-12, 09:11 AM
diff

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Yeah, they make higher rise stems. Just search around.

The issue is most likely your body. Over time you will get stronger and be able to ride more and longer distances without discomfort.
Old 07-10-12, 09:15 AM
ianjk
:)

Bikes: '07 Pista, '09 Fantom Cross Uno, '8? Miyata, '67 Stingray, '0? Zoo mod trials, Tallbike, Chopper, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '67 Triumph Chopper, '69 CB350, '58 BSA Spitfire, '73 CB450

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Done some little weekend tours fixed with front brake and ~61 g.i. to keep from walking every hill. Have to say that mashing up hills while loaded is no fun, feeling your frame bend and twist when you could just be spinning away takes away from the fun. I try to be a hardman, but touing for me is about relaxing and seeing the countryside, take away the hills and it might be different tho.
Old 07-10-12, 11:13 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by misskaz
My friend does our Chicago-Milwaukee century on a fixed gear. Not sure why, although I think it's his only bike. He doesn't get wiped out and our route has few hills. I think it's fun, and it's a challenge (but an achievable one without killing himself).

His bike:

new (old) panniers by kidmissile, on Flickr

(You can see it's a nice easy gear ratio.) I wouldn't do it because my FG bike isn't the right kind of bike for it. My neck and shoulders would be killing me after 25 miles. My friend's is a conversion and is a comfortable position for long hauls and can fit a rack and panniers and fenders and all that. Mine can't fit a rack so there's no way I'd carry everything on my back for 7-8 hours.
Chicago to Milwaukee is pretty flat, so using a single, well selected gear ratio is entirely plausible. But doing loaded touring in varied terrain is an entirely different matter, one which (IMHO) calls for multiple gears to be enjoyable.

That said, I did just complete a fixed gear century ride in Door County, which is not flat and did give me significant headwinds. But then again, I wasn't carrying a full load of camping gear and food, either.
Old 07-10-12, 04:14 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Are you talking multi-day tours with panniers?
I commute (with packs) regularly FG, and have done century rides FG, but I can't think of a reason to do multi-day touring on a loaded FG bike unless you are a masochist.
Old 07-10-12, 04:35 PM
zoltani
sniffin' glue

Bikes: Surly crosscheck ssfg, Custom vintage french racing bike, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I more or less ride fixed exclusively in the city, even with panniers at times, and also tour quite a bit. On the 4th I went to a friends house with pannier of beers and BBQ items, and I'll tell you that the slog up the hill on the way there was no fun. There is no way that I would chose to take the fixed gear out on a loaded tour. Is it possible? Sure it is, I even met a guy riding cross country fixed, but I personally wouldn't do it. For me it is a form of vacation, and mashing a loaded bike up a long climb would take the fun out of it. If you are on flat terrain with no wind then it might not be so bad, but that sounds like a boring touring destination to me.

So the answer is that there are no real advantages to loaded fixed gear touring unless you have something to prove to yourself.
Old 07-11-12, 01:44 AM
FullTimeFixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello all,
Thanks for all the responses. Most useful.

My reason for doing what I'm doing is that I wanted to get started cycling on my own budget, without being a cycle expert or anything like that. All the previous commuter bikes I'd had had been up to £200 and still the gears were rubbish. I'd end up only being able to use one or two because the rest would stick, even after having the bike serviced. So I figured, why not just buy on with one gear? I researched it and figured that it would get me fit too.

So now I've got a fixed gear bike and I have to say I took to it straightaway - didn't have any problems adapting my way of riding (but then I do have a brake) and now don't like the feel of a freewheel. If I had a multi-speed bike I probably would take it on this tour, but as it is I have spent all my spare cash just gearing up for the tour as it is. I've just bought all my camping gear, luggage, and cycle gear and spent hundreds. I'm trying to keep the weight down, but am being thwarted by the fact that I get cold at night and am bringing loads of sleeping kit/warm clothes.

Thanks to Bael for the link to the Fixed Gear Century article. I've found that really helpful and it explains a lot of what I've been going through these last 6 months - why it is that I've been feeling a lot of wear and tear on my body even at quite short distances compared to other people I know. If I'd read that earlier, I would have bought myself a new saddle and padded gloves months ago!

Unfortunately you all have confirmed my fears - the only advantage to doing a fixed gear tour is that you would look like a hardman and impress everyone. Sounds like saying "I'm going to do it Fixed Gear" is like saying "I'm going to do it with one had tied behind my back".

Having said that, I have been supremely UNDERambitious, so I don't think I'm in danger of impressing anyone. This is not only my first Fixed Gear Tour, but my first ever cycle tour and it's solo too. So I am playing safe and going for 40miles per day in Northumberland UK, which seems flattish. It's 4 days, then a break, then another 4.

Can anyone recommend a gear ratio? I have a 68inch Fixed. I am thinking of getting the freewheel side changed to a 64inch. My bike with gear weighs about 55lbs.

Thanks again for your input
-FullTimeFixie
Old 07-11-12, 08:19 AM
Bat56

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Just bring a freewheel tool and a bag full of freewheels. When you get to the bottom of a hill, change the freewheel, when you get to the top, change it back. If you get tired you can stop and change freewheels as needed.

It's only four days, what is the worst thing that could happen? You get tired.
Old 07-11-12, 09:29 AM
zoltani
sniffin' glue

Bikes: Surly crosscheck ssfg, Custom vintage french racing bike, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I stole the below image from the BF user Machka, up of a tour her and Rowan completed in 2007. Rowan rode a fixed gear for the tour, and I imagine if you send him a private message here on bikeforums, Rowan is his username, he might have some tips for you. They are currently on a world tour so I am not sure how often they have internet access. In the meantime check out Machka's write up https://www.machka.net/pbp2007/2007_Post-PBP.htm

Old 07-11-12, 10:58 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by FullTimeFixie
Having said that, I have been supremely UNDERambitious, so I don't think I'm in danger of impressing anyone. This is not only my first Fixed Gear Tour, but my first ever cycle tour and it's solo too. So I am playing safe and going for 40miles per day in Northumberland UK, which seems flattish. It's 4 days, then a break, then another 4.
40 miles a day with rest days is pretty safe. If you were going to be more ambitious, I'd repeat my advice to use gears for your first tour, and maybe learn how to fix/adjust your own bikes.

Can anyone recommend a gear ratio? I have a 68inch Fixed. I am thinking of getting the freewheel side changed to a 64inch. My bike with gear weighs about 55lbs.
That sounds reasonable. Going down a notch for the freewheel side for when you're tired makes sense because it's easier to climb hills, and then you can coast/rest going down the other side. You'll probably want to do a trial 40-mile day in your area and see if you'll want to bump that down since your bike is so heavy.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 07-11-12, 11:34 AM
Live Wire 
Framebuilder

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you think of it in terms of "is this equipment better/faster/more efficient" you'll bog yourself down with possibilities and second guessing. Run what you brung...don't over think all this. You have everything you need, just go ride. You'll have a great time.
Google "Fixie Dave"and see wha kind of fixed tour Dave Nice just finished.
Old 07-15-12, 08:06 AM
FullTimeFixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks all. I start today. Am just taking the train to my start point. Thanks for your help. I've made a weblog entry about the trip at http//fulltimefixie.wordpress.com
Old 08-20-20, 04:17 PM
Swampthing 
Old and rusty

Bikes: 1983 Lotus, 1989 Haro Escape, Quax muni, KHS?, Nishiki Olympic 12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 64 Posts
Enjoy the trip!
I’m doing a short Fixie camping tour next week, so you may be crazy, but you aren’t alone.
Old 08-20-20, 05:32 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
The thread is over 8yrs old.
I'm thinking the OP may be back by now but seeing his last post date....perhaps not.
Old 08-20-20, 06:44 PM
Swampthing 
Old and rusty

Bikes: 1983 Lotus, 1989 Haro Escape, Quax muni, KHS?, Nishiki Olympic 12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 64 Posts
Quite the tour!
but sometimes things are a little harder on a fixie.
now where are my reading glasses...
Old 08-20-20, 08:30 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4349 Post(s)
Liked 3,986 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by Swampthing
Quite the tour!
but sometimes things are a little harder on a fixie.
now where are my reading glasses...
I always prefer something that doesn't need a fixie and is not a brokie. Be it geared, fixed gear, or singlespeed I much prefer a properly working bike to one that doesn't work.

Since the thread has been open. I did a little S24 trip on my single speed and had a generally good time minus the time spent actually getting to the trail that would eventually lead me to the campsite. However that was my dumbassery, I sort of knew where to go but hadn't done it for long while so forgot most of it and it was right after work so it was dark. Thankfully I had my Dynamo to light the way.