Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Anyone 5’3” to 5’4” with a 49cm Wabi?

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 08-21-20, 03:45 AM
Zeuloa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts

Hi! Any of you shorter riders (5’3” to 5’4” with inseam of 73 to 76cm) with a 49cm Wabi, how does it fit you?

thanks!!!
Old 08-21-20, 02:00 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 431 Posts
Although I don't own one, based on the dimensions of that frame, I doubt anyone under 5' 6" would fit properly on it. The 49cm seat tube dimension is center-to-center rather than the normal center-to-top measurement, so this frame is more like a 52cm size. Also, the 730mm top tube dimension is quite long for a 49cm size, and the standover according to Wabi is 76.7cm.

I am 5' 2" with a 71cm inseam, and ride the 42cm Wabi with 650c wheels. It is a bit small for me, but a good fit with a 10cm stem.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 08-21-20, 02:26 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Zeuloa
Hi! Any of you shorter riders (5’3” to 5’4” with inseam of 73 to 76cm) with a 49cm Wabi, how does it fit you?

thanks!!!
you should probably grab the 42cm. Someone local to me is the same height as you and bought the 49cm which was to big for him. He ended up buying aNother wabi 42cm and he lost money when he sold the the 49cm.
Old 08-21-20, 03:07 PM
Zeuloa

Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
Although I don't own one, based on the dimensions of that frame, I doubt anyone under 5' 6" would fit properly on it. The 49cm seat tube dimension is center-to-center rather than the normal center-to-top measurement, so this frame is more like a 52cm size. Also, the 730mm top tube dimension is quite long for a 49cm size, and the standover according to Wabi is 76.7cm.

I am 5' 2" with a 71cm inseam, and ride the 42cm Wabi with 650c wheels. It is a bit small for me, but a good fit with a 10cm stem.
Thanks for your response TejanoTrackie!

Actually I recently received the 42cm, and for full disclosure it’s my first road/track bike.

I’m 5’3.5” with about a 75 inseam and I’m not sure if it’s a bit too small and puts me in a too aggressive position, even with the stem flipped up there is about 5cm from top of saddle to top of bars. Is this normal distance and I just need to adjust my position?

Regarding the 530mm TT of the 49cm, even though the its longer than the 500 on the 42cm it has a shorter reach of 375mm (vs the 42s 380mm). How would this shorter distance actually translate to real reach once in the bike?

Did you continue using 23cm tires or did you size up?

Sorry for the attack of questions but just want to make sure I can eventually ride this thing comfortably on longer rides.... Thanks!!!
Old 08-21-20, 03:09 PM
Zeuloa

Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jay4usc
you should probably grab the 42cm. Someone local to me is the same height as you and bought the 49cm which was to big for him. He ended up buying aNother wabi 42cm and he lost money when he sold the the 49cm.
Thanks for the advice! Is your friend very comfortable with the 42cm?

thanks!
Old 08-21-20, 03:26 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Thanks for your response TejanoTrackie!

Actually I recently received the 42cm, and for full disclosure it’s my first road/track bike.

I’m 5’3.5” with about a 75 inseam and I’m not sure if it’s a bit too small and puts me in a too aggressive position, even with the stem flipped up there is about 5cm from top of saddle to top of bars. Is this normal distance and I just need to adjust my position?

Regarding the 530mm TT of the 49cm, even though the its longer than the 500 on the 42cm it has a shorter reach of 375mm (vs the 42s 380mm). How would this shorter distance actually translate to real reach once in the bike?

Did you continue using 23cm tires or did you size up?

Sorry for the attack of questions but just want to make sure I can eventually ride this thing comfortably on longer rides.... Thanks!!!
What length stem do you have ? You might need a longer stem, which will also raise the bars if you flip it up. Can you raise the stem on your fork any further, or are you already at the top of the steerer tube ? The reach measurement has no effect on your arm reach to the bars. I'm still using 23mm tires, mainly because it is nearly impossible to find larger 650c compatible tires.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 08-21-20, 04:00 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Thanks for the advice! Is your friend very comfortable with the 42cm?

thanks!
inot a friend, he was actually selling his new 49cm to me but it was too small after I test rode it. That’s how I figured out I needed a 52cm. We had a long talk about why he was selling it. He was actually 5’5 but when I saw him riding the 49cm the reach was too much and he look uncomfortable riding it. I really don’t know how comfortable he is with the 42cm but I’m confident it was better than the 49cm.

Last edited by jay4usc; 08-21-20 at 04:11 PM.
Old 08-21-20, 05:06 PM
Zeuloa

Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
What length stem do you have ? You might need a longer stem, which will also raise the bars if you flip it up. Can you raise the stem on your fork any further, or are you already at the top of the steerer tube ? The reach measurement has no effect on your arm reach to the bars. I'm still using 23mm tires, mainly because it is nearly impossible to find larger 650c compatible tires.
i have one small spacer above the stem but it’s above the steerer tube. I have a 90mm stem, but I’m thinking of going for a 100mm stem and working myself to become better fit and flexible haha.

yeah the tires Ineas also a bit hesitant about as there is less choice and only online options it seems... Modern Bike seems to have a few options for 650c.

How is your position on the wabi, are you stretched out?
Old 08-21-20, 05:21 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

i have one small spacer above the stem but it’s above the steerer tube. I have a 90mm stem, but I’m thinking of going for a 100mm stem and working myself to become better fit and flexible haha.

yeah the tires Ineas also a bit hesitant about as there is less choice and only online options it seems... Modern Bike seems to have a few options for 650c.

How is your position on the wabi, are you stretched out?
You can still move the top spacer below the stem, and place the top cap directly into the stem. I'd suggest maybe going to a 110mm stem, since I'm shorter than you and use a 100mm stem. I'd say I'm not particularly stretched out. I'm 74 years old and now ride in a more upright position than then I was younger. Here's a photo of my bike:

Originally Posted by Dcv
Old 08-23-20, 09:59 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Here’s a better drive side photo that I took today. I raised the stem 5mm, since the last photo.

2011 Wabi Lightning - 42cm frame - 650c wheels

Originally Posted by Dcv
Old 08-23-20, 10:08 AM
Zeuloa

Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Beautiful bike TejanoTrackie... I’ll post pics of mine as soon as I get to 10 posts haha
Old 08-23-20, 09:47 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Here’s a better drive side photo that I took today. I raised the stem 5mm, since the last photo.

2011 Wabi Lightning - 42cm frame - 650c wheels

very nice ride
Old 11-23-20, 06:43 AM
Zeuloa

Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Beautiful bike TejanoTrackie... I’ll post pics of mine as soon as I get to 10 posts haha

Here’s mine!

-Mineral gray color

-Velocity A23 wheels (they were out of stock of Wabi wheels)

-Wabi leather tape (Not too happy with this option, too thin and seems low quality, for a bit more than the $40 upgrade this cost you can get something much better).

-Brooks Swift saddle, only upgrade I’ve done.

-MKS Stream pedals. Awesome, love these!

Old 12-21-20, 11:05 AM
Dws77

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
That’s a beauty, you did good! My lady friend is 5’2” and has the 42 cm which fits her perfectly. I also found 28 mm tires for it, but tubes are the problem.
I’m 5’7” and have a 49 cm Special, it fits me pretty well but I do feel pretty stretched out on it. Enjoy your new ride!