Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Can a bad friction shift break a chain?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 08-24-20, 02:30 PM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts

Broke a chain for the first time ever yesterday, thankfully close to home as the chain was damaged beyond repair after being immediately run over by a bus.

What happened was that I got stuck between shifts (friction shifting), as while trying to dial in a gear for a hill, I had to swerve to avoid a car door, leaving me having to go up a hill "between" gears. I didn't want to adjust it then, as I tend not to adjust rear shifting while having to put heavy load through the chain, but even on a short hill, the chain snapped entirely.

Can simply putting heavy load on a drivetrain with the rear derailleur not in line cause a chain breakage? And is this likely to have seriously damaged my rear derailleur?
Old 08-24-20, 02:39 PM
Kovkov

Bikes: 1957 Alpa Special, 1963 Condor Delta, 1967 Tigra Sprint, 1977 Oltenia, 1987 Mondia, 1965 Staco de luxe, 1969 Amberg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 43 Posts
Did it have a quick link and did it break there?
Old 08-24-20, 02:41 PM
sheddle

Originally Posted by Kovkov
Did it have a quick link and did it break there?
Yes, but it did not break at the master link. The broken link was missing the pin, and the plates appeared to be squeezed together but as the chain was immediately run over it's hard to say if this was the state of the chain immediately after the accident.

The chain also showed significant scraping on the side and several stiff links (zero indication of stiff links prior to the break) but once again, this might have been due to it being run over.

Also it was a relatively new chain (replaced last year, not too many road miles on it)
Old 08-24-20, 02:43 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
Yep. I think that there are a number of factors. As a chain is used it will be weaker, stretched, get looser/flexible. And a few bad shifts add up until it goes. If the chain is new it probably will break the hanger first, or the derailleur, or all three. I did it once when I was stupid and didn't setup for the terrain change on my mountain bike. Broke chain and made the derailleur and easy to pack two piece model. Steel frame so it bent the hanger. Thankfully the wheel (spokes) were okay.

Second stupid thing I did was toss out the B spring assembly and the clip, which I could use.

John
Old 08-24-20, 02:56 PM
sheddle

I haven't tested the RD yet, but it appears to be in-line just with the eyeball test of the pulley cage (I haven't re-chained the bike yet). Hopefully the chain was the extent of the damage.
Old 08-24-20, 03:02 PM
Bob the Mech

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda S6 frameset, custom build (road). 1995 Dawes Genesis Reynolds 531 Competition frameset, custom build (road). 1996 Orange C16R frameset, custom build (retro MTB). Coyote Dual hard-tail, custom build (MTB).

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 55 Posts
'putting heavy load on a drivetrain with the rear derailleur not in line cause a chain breakage'. Yes...as is obviously the case Had it happen to me with a 1 x 10, trying to change up the block on a short sharp 7% climb (indexed). It's not that the indexing fail to do it's job, it was me - the rider - who was forcing it to do it under load. As you were using friction shifts your magin for error is narrower considering the nasty distraction of a car door. It's not uncommon. The outer plate on one of the chain links tore away from the pin...It's only happened the once. Before that I'd never broken a chain in over thirty years of pedal pushing.

As for the rear mech being damaged, well a visual inspection of it's postion on the hanger and the position of the hanger itself is in order. The only true test, if it looks ok to the naked eye, is to slap another chain through it, pop it in a work stand and cycle the gears...If a mech is seriously damaged it's usually pretty obvious to tell, normally because it out of shape (jockey wheel cage twisted, snapped body pins and the like).
Old 08-24-20, 03:04 PM
sheddle

Good to know- next time either stop or try to slack the chain a bit and correct the shift, then.

I'm rechaining it today (due to a bike boom-related lack of 6-7-8-speed chains in stock, using a 9-speed chain as a stopgap) so I'll check the RD functionality then. If not, well, there's an old Ofmega Premier at a local shop I've been looking at....
Old 08-24-20, 03:31 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
I've seen friction shifters break a few front derailleurs but I question whether they were installed correctly.
Old 08-24-20, 03:39 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Bad technique shifting when forcing it can..
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 08-24-20, 04:05 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,578 Times in 910 Posts
Yep. You can indeed break a chain with excessive load on or between gears. I've broken a chain (SRAM 11 speed) adjacent to the quick link on my first outting. Had I not had a spare master link, that 5 miles from civilization would have been a long walk. The pin extracted itself from a side plate. I just tossed the chain & have since sworn off SRAM as suspect quality at best.

My wife & I twisted a link 90 degrees from an errant shift on our 3x7 tandem. Everyything held together, but how a chain can twist & turn itself unside out is surprising.

Just because modern designs allow for shifting under power better than vintage stuff, but doesn't necessarily mean you should.

In any case, call it a lesson, install a new chain & carry on.
Good luck

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 08-24-20, 07:59 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 2,271 Posts
We have called this "soft pedaling" for decades. With good technique it only takes a couple of crank strokes to shift before reapplying power again. When stressed, distracted of just not paying attention any shift under power can damage the chain, indexed levers or not. Andy
Old 08-25-20, 01:19 AM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
Blowing a downshift under heavy uphill load is the classic way to break a chain. And a rear derailleur. And other things. Not all of which are bike parts.

--Shannon
Likes For ShannonM:
Old 08-25-20, 03:50 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,823 Times in 878 Posts
Shifting on an incline:

Stay seated and surge for 2-3 pedal strokes then soft pedal and make your gear change. It doesn't use a lot of energy and it makes up for the resultant loss of momentum during the soft pedal/shift. Indexed shifting and & STI/Ergo has nearly eliminated this skill from most cyclist's tool box. It is possible to develop your skills to do this standing (using brake/shifters) but it requires more skill than the first method I listed. The best cyclists I've ever ridden with knew exactly when, where and how to shift with minimal loss (if any) of momentum. It's truly an art.

To answer the original question, yes a poor rear shift can break a chain. It's basically using one or two of the freewheel/cassette teeth as a cutting tool on the underside of the chain while it's at an angle.
Likes For nomadmax:
Old 08-25-20, 09:00 AM
sheddle

Edit: is it possible that the odd forces involved with the chain tension suddenly snapping under load did something odd to the BB? There does seem to be more flex when testing the pedals than normal.
​​​​​
I'm checking the stays for damage as well though this seems unlikely.

Unfortunately the cage has possibly been bent. I'm getting ghost shifts and a rattling feeling similar to FD chain rub only when pedaling.

The cage is OK with the eyeball test, and seems to function alright when backpedaling (and oddly enough, when hand cranking with the bike in a stand) but seems to have a minor amount of play (roll) to the cage- without a known good derailleur I don't know how normal this is. It's also possible it just doesn't like the 9 speed chain.

LBS time, then, as I think this is beyond my ability to diagnose.

Last edited by sheddle; 08-25-20 at 09:25 AM.
Old 08-25-20, 12:44 PM
sheddle

Hey, good news, replacing the 9s chain with a 8s chain fixed the issue. Not sure why the drive chain hated the 9s chain so much, but hey.
Old 08-25-20, 01:54 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
Originally Posted by sheddle
Hey, good news, replacing the 9s chain with a 8s chain fixed the issue. Not sure why the drive chain hated the 9s chain so much, but hey.
The drivetrain was insulted and in terror of being replaced, so it threw a tantrum.

More seriously, 9-speed and above chains are often noisy on 8-speed and below drivetrains. My rule has always been to use speed-specific chains on 9 and above, and 8-speed chains on 8 and below.

--Shannon
Likes For ShannonM:
Old 08-26-20, 01:55 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,823 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
You can "ghost pedal" at half the pedal stroke, beginning at the top stroke of your favorite pedaling leg. This will make a complete shift (to the next cog) with an unloaded drivetrain in just a fraction of a second.

They teach this stuff in GCN in youtube. Still works a charm with my humble bottom end Tourney mech!
You do that for a rear cog shift. However, making a front chainring change requires a surge and soft pedal. IE an unexpected pitch in the road that requires a rapid big to little change or a little to big change (while still on the climb) to crest and motor away while everyone else is still climbing behind you.

The key to the surge is not to just accomplish the shift, it's to minimize the loss of momentum that can create a gap between you and someone else (or create a gap). Obviously, my take on this comes from being a bike racer but as mentioned, front shifts on an incline require a pedal surge if you want them to go smoothly. This is especially true with a compact/sub compact cranks because the 16T difference between chainrings means a rear shift will probably have to happen as well.

A basic rule of thumb is "if it's making noise/not shifting for longer than a second, you're doing something wrong".
Old 08-26-20, 09:50 AM
ClydeClydeson

Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by ShannonM
The drivetrain was insulted and in terror of being replaced, so it threw a tantrum.

More seriously, 9-speed and above chains are often noisy on 8-speed and below drivetrains. My rule has always been to use speed-specific chains on 9 and above, and 8-speed chains on 8 and below.

--Shannon
Funnily enough, when using modern chains designed for indexed shifting systems, the chain for 6, 7 and 8 speed are the same. So if you are using an 8 speed chain on a 7 speed drivetrain, you are actually using a 7 speed chain without knowing it!

I've never tried, but I suspect using a chain built for fewer speeds than the cassette (like an 8 speed chain on a 10 speed cassette), the wider chain will always be clattering against the gears it is not in. I am currently using a 9 sp. chain and cassette with a 10 sp. front derailleur, and it seems like the chain wants to rub the derailleur unless I am very careful with the position of the shifter.
Old 08-26-20, 08:02 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
You were really abusing your equipment and i protest it failed. That's to be expected when not shifting correctly into gear and then riding har without positive engagement of the chain and sprocket. You're really lucky nothing else was damage and that you didn't crash.

Cheers