Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Anyone else hate riding, but have to for medical reasons?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Anyone else hate riding, but have to for medical reasons?

Old 08-31-20, 07:43 AM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Dylansbob
I've been riding all my life, worked in shops, flipped bikes for decades and it's all I can do to get on a ride one most days. I had a bad crash several years ago, coupled with some life-choices afterwords has left me with a bad hip (2 tears in left labrum). It completely kept me off the bike (and walking with a cane) for a couple years, but I got very lucky with some skilled PTs and had alot of chiropractic visits. Now I'm fairly mobile and not in as much pain.

I *have* to go out for a short (10-15m) ride 3 times a week or my hip starts acting up. The less I ride, the more my hip socket starts burning and the muscles around it become more and more reluctant to move. Within 3 days of not riding, I tend to start limping more. Shorter <5m rides don't seem to be enough compared to 1hr or so rides. I still like working on and occasionally buying/selling bikes, but I really have to convince myself to go out and actually ride.
Damn, sorry that you're in this predicament. If you reluctance to ride due to pain, boredom, fear of crashing, or some other thing? In any case, hope you keep it up as long as you can.
Old 09-07-20, 05:30 PM
Shamrock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I don't think you hate riding,you hate the fact you are aging and have to ride to feel better.Maybe time for a new bike or route.Buy 2 bikes and call me in the morning. I really wanted to say a friend of a friend was in alot of pain.He is a former rugby player and now rides to and from work.40 miles a day.He was taking 4 ibuprofin pills a day for years.Went to the doc not feeling well. Took awhile but he found out his kidneys shutdown from too many ibuprofins. So he is off them and drinking water to flush the pills out. So just be careful of overdosing on pain meds even over the counter.See a 15 minute bike ride isnt so bad.