Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Light Bicycle Wheels

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Light Bicycle Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-20, 04:05 AM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
My thoughts exactly - the recommendations are a bit on the low side, but it is good they cleared any confusion on the maximum pressures.

I run their R45 discs (brilliant wheelset, by the way) with 23mm GP5000 in front and 25mm in rear, latex tubes, and I use about 100 psi / 7 bar in both , give or take a bit, depending on the quality of the road and so on, at 72kg / 158 lbs.Their suggested pressure for a 23 seems unusually low; I've actually ridden it mine at 80 psi, and while it really is super comfortable and works better over really horrible roads, it's not something I'd run on a reasonable road.

Last edited by Branko D; 09-10-20 at 06:17 AM.
Old 09-11-20, 07:42 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
On 8/26 I ordered a wheelset from the NA distributor, and today they emailed the UPS shipping information.

on 7/11 I ordered a wheelset from there Asian facility, and received shipping info 8/17. These wheels still haven't moved according to the tracking #.
both wheelsets are now scheduled for delivery 9/16
Old 09-11-20, 10:37 PM
adamhenry
MUP World Champ

Bikes: '19 Trance 3, '17 Defy Adv 2, DK Legend, Electra Verse 21D

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
I received my AR36 wheelset and got some 25mm GP5000 TLs mounted. The mounting was a fair challenge but I got it done. I hope the OS does its job as on the road repair is not likely. I have dynaplugs for backup. I am now wondering how much easier 28mm would be to work with but I'm thinking they would be a bit large for the AR36.
Old 09-12-20, 02:53 AM
illdrag0n

Bikes: 2014 Focus Mares AX 2.0, 2019 Cube Litening C:62 Race Disc Teamline

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 68 Posts
Originally Posted by adamhenry
I received my AR36 wheelset and got some 25mm GP5000 TLs mounted. The mounting was a fair challenge but I got it done. I hope the OS does its job as on the road repair is not likely. I have dynaplugs for backup. I am now wondering how much easier 28mm would be to work with but I'm thinking they would be a bit large for the AR36.
AR36 are 28mm external width. 28c is perfect. I run 28c on my AR46 and it sits flush.

Old 09-12-20, 06:52 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
have you seen this page at lightbicycle?
https://www.lightbicycle.com/newslet...th-Charts.html
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 09-12-20, 09:52 AM
adamhenry
MUP World Champ

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
have you seen this page at lightbicycle?
https://www.lightbicycle.com/newslet...th-Charts.html
Thanks Sy! That confirms my thinking that 28mm would be easier to work with and shows the width to be good for AR36.
Old 09-12-20, 12:24 PM
noodle soup

Thanks Sy! That confirms my thinking that 28mm would be easier to work with and shows the width to be good for AR36.
I have a set of AR46 wheels arriving 9/16, and will be installing 28mm Schwalbe Pro1 addix. I’ll let you know how it goes.

to be honest, I never struggle installing tires, but I still can say when one is harder than the other.
Old 09-12-20, 02:31 PM
adamhenry
MUP World Champ

I have a set of AR46 wheels arriving 9/16, and will be installing 28mm Schwalbe Pro1 addix. I’ll let you know how it goes.

to be honest, I never struggle installing tires, but I still can say when one is harder than the other.
OK. I'll be watching for your report. I mount most tires fairly easily but the 5000s made me think a little. I'm not real comfortable riding on tires that I can't repair roadside. Hopefully I won't have to try it.
Old 09-13-20, 03:48 PM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
OK. I'll be watching for your report. I mount most tires fairly easily but the 5000s made me think a little. I'm not real comfortable riding on tires that I can't repair roadside. Hopefully I won't have to try it.
I hear you lol, the GP 5000's in tubeless have been the only tire I've had a challenge mounting (and I've been using TL since 2014 or so). But I think it's more technique driven. Once I figured out what worked for me I haven't had many problems mounting them (I've had two sets).

I recently started to carry the Lezyn plugs with me, haven't had to use them yet though
Old 09-14-20, 11:36 AM
dur4ce

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
It was a bit challenging to get brand new, fresh out of the box GP5000 TLs mounted, but they were noticeably easier to get over the hook in the rim after they had been on the rim, inflated for a bit.

I originally mounted mine and seated the bead without sealant (before riding), when I noticed one was mounted backwards. When I dis- and re-mounted it a couple days later, it was much easier. I can only imagine that now that they have been on and inflated for a month+ through some temp cycles, that they would be manageable in the event a roadside repair was necessary.
Old 09-14-20, 03:48 PM
adamhenry
MUP World Champ

Originally Posted by dur4ce
It was a bit challenging to get brand new, fresh out of the box GP5000 TLs mounted, but they were noticeably easier to get over the hook in the rim after they had been on the rim, inflated for a bit.

I originally mounted mine and seated the bead without sealant (before riding), when I noticed one was mounted backwards. When I dis- and re-mounted it a couple days later, it was much easier. I can only imagine that now that they have been on and inflated for a month+ through some temp cycles, that they would be manageable in the event a roadside repair was necessary.
Thanks, good to hear that. I'll have to give mine a dismount/remount cycle in a few days. I could mount 4000s with thumbs alone and it would be nice to mount the 5000s with one lever.
Old 09-15-20, 02:55 PM
dur4ce

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Got an e-mail this morning from Koko at LB, following up on an inquiry from before I bought my AR56 wheelset, that the new AR55 Pro rims (in standard and flyweight) are beginning production now. Pricing for the rim only is $259 and $271 respectively. Not on the site yet, that I could find, but if anyone is interested, might be worth an e-mail. No specs were provided in terms of width (int/ext) or weight.
Old 09-17-20, 09:14 AM
noodle soup

I was able to mount a tubeless 28mm GP5000 without using a lever, but the owner of the wheelset needed to use a lever. The 28mm Schwalbe Pro 1 addix went on without using a lever.

Both tires inflated with a floor pump.

One of the Schwalbe tires had 3 tiny holes in the sidewall that prevented the tire from holding any pressure. We'll see what Merlin Cycles has to say about it. Luckily I always buy 3 tires at a time.
Old 09-17-20, 10:09 AM
jfranci3

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Dendroica
I have decided to get a set of AR56's to go on my new Tarmac SL7 Expert. I am going to go with the DT240 hubs and with those I have the option of going for 24 or 28 hole rear wheel. I weigh around 90kg, Would people recommend going with the 24H or 28H or rear?
You'll be absolutely fine on 24x24 with the Pillar or CX-ray spokes. I've run the Pillars on Swiss hubs for two years on smaller rims without issue in both road and gravel duty. I'd go with less spokes for cost and aesthetics. I'd go with the pillar spokes to save some cost over the CX-ray. Theres not a real world aero or strength difference, though the Sapim's have a nicer finish IMO. I put 24x24 CX-Rays on a set of less stiff aero DTSwiss 240 / Swissside hubs, and they are unyielding stiff. I'd only go 24/28 or 28/28 if you're using MTB parts for a gravel build.

With the taller carbon rims, higher end spokes, and bigger/softer tires, you flat out don't need a lot of spokes. The higher end spoke alone will give you about 4x more durability and 2x the strength on a plain gauge stock spoke - https://dcrwheels.co.uk/custom-wheel...spokes-advice/ .

If you haven't ordered or they aren't in work yet, ask for the 'satin' finish after checkout. It looks nicer than the gloss or matte IMO.

Last edited by jfranci3; 09-17-20 at 10:15 AM.
Likes For jfranci3:
Old 09-17-20, 06:17 PM
Dendroica

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jfranci3

If you haven't ordered or they aren't in work yet, ask for the 'satin' finish after checkout. It looks nicer than the gloss or matte IMO.
Thanks for your input, I did end up ordering the other day and went with 24F&R.
I did not know satin finish was a option, I went with matte as I didn't want the gloss. I may email them and ask if it's to late to change that.
Old 09-17-20, 08:05 PM
adamhenry
MUP World Champ

I was able to mount a tubeless 28mm GP5000 without using a lever, but the owner of the wheelset needed to use a lever. The 28mm Schwalbe Pro 1 addix went on without using a lever.

Both tires inflated with a floor pump.

One of the Schwalbe tires had 3 tiny holes in the sidewall that prevented the tire from holding any pressure. We'll see what Merlin Cycles has to say about it. Luckily I always buy 3 tires at a time.
Thanks for the info. I'll have to try a set of 28mm soon. They sound a lot easier than the 25mm I'm currently using.
Old 09-17-20, 09:19 PM
jfranci3

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Dendroica
Thanks for your input, I did end up ordering the other day and went with 24F&R.
I did not know satin finish was a option, I went with matte as I didn't want the gloss. I may email them and ask if it's to late to change that.
I'm also not a gloss person, went matte, and then thought the matte was to dull/generic. Satin is a nice finish and not too showy.
Old 09-25-20, 09:04 AM
noodle soup

The Discs finally showed up, and the bike is ready to go.

[
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 09-28-20, 06:03 AM
Sasquatch16

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
My experience

Thought I would update this thread with my experience. I am a large rider and wanted to get a set of carbon wheels that would handle my weight and riding. Nothing off the shelf seemed like it would work. Discovered Light Bicycle on this forum and read the entire thing. They were able to pretty do whatever I wanted in the way of spoke count and hubs. I had them build a set of wheels with the WR50 rims. They are 32/28 spoke count with Hope Hubs. The entire experience with Light Bicycle was positive. I asked many questions and they always got right back to me.
Order was placed on 7/21, shipped on 8/23 and I received wheels on the US east coast on 9/24. I knew from the start it would take this long as they had to source the hubs. Forgive picture sizes. Not sure how to resize.

Likes For Sasquatch16:
Old 09-28-20, 06:54 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by Sasquatch16
Thought I would update this thread with my experience. I am a large rider and wanted to get a set of carbon wheels that would handle my weight and riding. Nothing off the shelf seemed like it would work. Discovered Light Bicycle on this forum and read the entire thing. They were able to pretty do whatever I wanted in the way of spoke count and hubs. I had them build a set of wheels with the WR50 rims. They are 32/28 spoke count with Hope Hubs. The entire experience with Light Bicycle was positive. I asked many questions and they always got right back to me.
Order was placed on 7/21, shipped on 8/23 and I received wheels on the US east coast on 9/24. I knew from the start it would take this long as they had to source the hubs. Forgive picture sizes. Not sure how to resize.

I must say, that's a damn fine looking bike.

Old 09-28-20, 07:20 AM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Agreed, great looking bike!
Old 09-28-20, 08:55 AM
Sasquatch16

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks. How many miles on your Domane? Here all the horror stories about BB90 after I bought bike. Yea the curves of the headtube make it not look so monstrous for a 62. My other bike looks much larger with all straight tubing.
In case anyone was interested 32c Continental GP5000 Tl's measure 34mm on these rims.
Old 09-28-20, 11:06 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by Sasquatch16
Thanks. How many miles on your Domane? Here all the horror stories about BB90 after I bought bike. Yea the curves of the headtube make it not look so monstrous for a 62.
I bought mine in 2018(it was a practically unused shop demo), and have over 30k miles on it. The bearings are due for a replacement, but still feel smooth, and there’s no creaking.
Old 11-09-20, 12:02 PM
Ymerej
FIXED GEAR

Bikes: 2019 tarmac pro disc 2020 allez sprint track

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 14 Posts

So I ordered ar56 28h rims, then I had wheelbuilder in Azusa ca build them for me.
so far been very impressed with them. Would definitely use LB again should the need arise.

• ar56 28h

• philwood track hubs high flange single fixed

• sapim cx ray spokes and brass nipples

• gp5000 tubeless setup

• yes they were a son of a ***** to mount

• thank you BF and WW for the extensive knowledge about these rims it’s what helped me pull the trigger.
Old 11-09-20, 06:40 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Ymerej

So I ordered ar56 28h rims, then I had wheelbuilder in Azusa ca build them for me.
so far been very impressed with them. Would definitely use LB again should the need arise.

• ar56 28h

• philwood track hubs high flange single fixed

• sapim cx ray spokes and brass nipples

• gp5000 tubeless setup

• yes they were a son of a ***** to mount

• thank you BF and WW for the extensive knowledge about these rims it’s what helped me pull the trigger.
Really.. a dot.com builder label?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.