Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Out of the Saddle

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Out of the Saddle

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-20, 12:52 PM
am0n

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Out of the Saddle

I did my first ride with someone else a few weeks back and one of the comments they made was that when I ride out of the saddle, I don't keep my weight over the peddles/seat. My question is, is that the normal "optimal" for riding out of the saddle, or is there flexibility on that depending on the rider?

When I ride out of the saddle in what I'd say feels "natural," I find myself shifting a lot of my weight over the handlebars, but I am able to keep my back more straight and put less pressure on my hands. Basically feels like I am on a stepper. When I've tried to shift my weight back, it feels awkward. I have to have more bend in my back/hips and I feel like I am trying to pop a wheelie. One thing I'll say is that I am a T-Rex (~74.5" Height and a 37.25" inseam, and yes, that is an accurate measurement... like I said, T-Rex). My guess is that maybe my bike is too long for me. The CC fit and another from Pedal Force both suggested I should be on a 55-56 cm ETT, but when I asked here, that seemed really small according to many since a 60+ is generally recommended for my height. I'm not looking to necessarily turn this into a Bike Fit question (although it may be Bike Fit related) so much as, when I am riding out of the saddle, should I feel like I am popping a wheelie/pulling up on the handles, or should it feel more relaxed? Is this more of a rider preference, or is there a strong "optimal" here I should be targeting?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-17-20, 01:04 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
I set my bikes up with long stems. I come far forward when I get out of the saddle. For me, it's a dance, pushing down and pulling up. In fact, I sometimes use it as a time to relieve my quads because pulling works so well. (My knees, with their decades of CP, love it also.)

My bars are so far forward I cannot put all my weight on the pedals. When I really need to
grunt" up a hill. I pull. (And always ride with good foot retention,)

Ben
Old 09-17-20, 01:19 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by am0n
I did my first ride with someone else a few weeks back and one of the comments they made was that when I ride out of the saddle, I don't keep my weight over the peddles/seat. My question is, is that the normal "optimal" for riding out of the saddle, or is there flexibility on that depending on the rider?

When I ride out of the saddle in what I'd say feels "natural," I find myself shifting a lot of my weight over the handlebars, but I am able to keep my back more straight and put less pressure on my hands. Basically feels like I am on a stepper. When I've tried to shift my weight back, it feels awkward. I have to have more bend in my back/hips and I feel like I am trying to pop a wheelie. One thing I'll say is that I am a T-Rex (~74.5" Height and a 37.25" inseam, and yes, that is an accurate measurement... like I said, T-Rex). My guess is that maybe my bike is too long for me. The CC fit and another from Pedal Force both suggested I should be on a 55-56 cm ETT, but when I asked here, that seemed really small according to many since a 60+ is generally recommended for my height. I'm not looking to necessarily turn this into a Bike Fit question (although it may be Bike Fit related) so much as, when I am riding out of the saddle, should I feel like I am popping a wheelie/pulling up on the handles, or should it feel more relaxed? Is this more of a rider preference, or is there a strong "optimal" here I should be targeting?

Thanks in advance.
don’t overthink it - do what feels comfortable. I climb out of the saddle a lot, and I’m definitely more weight forward. The only time it was an issue was once when I was climbing a steep
hill in heavy rain, and I had to balance not being too far forward that the rear wheel was losing traction, with being too far back such that the front wheel wanted to lift, but that perfect storm
of crap was an extraordinary circumstance.
how your bike fits when you’re in the saddle is the important criterion, not where you are when standing
Likes For Litespud:
Old 09-17-20, 03:14 PM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
Old 09-17-20, 03:15 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
It's normal to shift a lot of weight to the front when out of the saddle. Some people might occasionally hit the bars with a knee if not careful. All the work should be done with the legs, not your arms. Your description of using a stepper is accurate.

I have long legs for my height and select a frame that gives me a 10cm saddle to bar drop with no spacers, a 15mm headset top and a -17 stem. With a 73cm saddle height, the stack is 527mm.
Old 09-17-20, 04:31 PM
am0n

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Thanks. That was my feeling, to do what felt natural and comfortable as I am likely to be able to do it longer.

As for the fit, that's a bit of a TBD. It's not terrible, but I definitely feel "stretched" when I am seated in the hoods (although, this is my first bike). I'd say I typically find that I'd rather rest my hands a little further back on the hoods instead of wrapping finger/thumb around them (but obviously I do). I'm thinking in the future I may need to go to a shorter stem or a slightly shorter cockpit (I went with a 58 cm Sectuer, but I may need to find a way to shorten it a bit for me).

As for the drop, my seat to hoods is about flat. I don't have the flexibility to do a 10 cm drop, unless you are talking about the 10 cm to the drops.