Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

65+ remote gravel exploring solo ?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

65+ remote gravel exploring solo ?

Old 09-08-20, 07:09 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 2,192 Times in 1,234 Posts
Forgot to mention, we have tried Strava, and a few other Apps for tracking and to date my wife likes the "Find Phone" app that comes with the iPhone. It works spot on. One ride , just to demonstrate, as I pulled into my driveway , the garage door opened!! She was standing there with a smile and told me she had been tracking my ride with "Find Phone". Joe
Old 09-08-20, 07:54 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3179 Post(s)
Liked 2,006 Times in 1,149 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
Forgot to mention, we have tried Strava, and a few other Apps for tracking and to date my wife likes the "Find Phone" app that comes with the iPhone. It works spot on. One ride , just to demonstrate, as I pulled into my driveway , the garage door opened!! She was standing there with a smile and told me she had been tracking my ride with "Find Phone". Joe
I use the "LiveTrack" function on my Garmin all the time and my wife usually pays attention to it. Typical with Garmin, it works maybe 80% of the time, so is less than a sure-fire reliable system. As well, it needs a smartphone and cell data, so is no help when you are away from cell coverage.
Old 09-08-20, 08:38 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6063 Post(s)
Liked 4,694 Times in 3,238 Posts
You did realize that the spot trackers give you live tracking ability too as well as text messaging.

Once you have it set up, you can give a link to those that you want to be able to see where you are and then they can go to that link with a browser and see where you are, your track history and other stuff.

Even though it is subscription service. It's one of the less expensive I've seen for what it does. And text messaging is based on the unit you get and the subscription amount you want to pay. So limited one way text being the less expensive to several forms of two way text in the more expensive subscription tiers.
Old 09-08-20, 04:56 PM
IronM

Bikes: Fuji Transonic, Ridley Excalibur, Foundry Overland, Niner EMD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
On solo rides in the north Georgia mountains, I realized that if something went bad, It's a long 20 mile walk at night though the forest - So I've taken to carrying a good tool kit (don't forget a replacement hanger); and basic survival gear appropriate for the season, and a 1st aid kit. Often, there's no cell coverage in the backwoods, and one needs to be prepared to hunker down for the night if need be if nobody comes along.
Best to go with a buddy, but for me that seldom happens
Old 09-08-20, 09:46 PM
royphotog

Bikes: 1979 Centurion Omega, 95(?) Rocky Mountain Sherpa

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts
I have done a lot of backpacking alone, hiked the PCT back in my 20s alone, as well as lots more in the Sierras and Sothern California, I love being by myself. That being said., now, at age 65 I think I am more cautious. I was on a motorcycle ride a couple of years ago and wanted to go down this lonely dirt road in California's White Mountains, I had hiked there years ago but now I thought, OK, what if I drop the bike, break a leg, could be no one will come down that road for days, or longer, and no one would know I was there. OK, Forget it. I need to get one of the Spot units, emergency beacons. The point is, in my 20s or 30s I would not have even thought about it, just gone down the road exploring. Now, is that Wisdom?
Old 09-09-20, 04:42 PM
Sluggo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 58 Posts
If it were entirely up to me, I would charge off into the wilderness solo at the drop of a hat. However, my wife and my sister (whose husband did wilderness rescue for many years) have concerns, and I can't convince them they are not valid. So I purchased a Garmin inReach Mini, which provides an emergency beacon and satellite email. This has mollified them somewhat.
Old 09-13-20, 06:56 AM
jleeg

Bikes: Moseman with Campy NR circa 1979, Merlin Titanium from1993 with newly installed Campy Chorus 12, Raleigh Tamland II gravel grinder, Tommassini XFire with Campy Record

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 38 Posts
A very sensible post and good suggestions. In my 50s, I departed a Grand Canyon float trip at a remote location with a long hike back to any civilization (the risk taken so I could get back to work 2 days earlier than otherwise). The objective dangers, any one of which could do a person in included sprained ankle, rockfall, snakebite (did encounter a rattler), dehydration, hypothermia, and more. I admit to being very nervous about taking the risk. I planned as best I could and had the right things (the weight of the water alone nearly killed me) and off I went.

I did encounter a serious situation. The trail ahead was visible as a clear ribbon to follow until I came upon a section that was obscured by a rockslide. No ribbon, no trail. I could see where it resumed on the other side of this quarter mile patch of rock. No problem, just mark the spot and get to it. I missed it and I still am uncertain why. But...it had to be above or below me. Will it be near so that I should keep my pack on though it made it difficult to climb, do I leave and mark it? The trail was gentle but I was on crusty unstable ground too steep to hike. It took me nearly an hour of searching in a very unhappy state of mind.

Managing risk is good. Or, Find a young healthy partner to ride with, one who is board certified in emergency medicine, an Eagle Scout who’s strong as hell...
Old 09-17-20, 02:30 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3179 Post(s)
Liked 2,006 Times in 1,149 Posts
I answered my own question on a 3 day bike trip to the Adirondacks. 2 factors I had not considered. 1) It was cold. The temp dropped to 32 or so on 9/15, Tues. AM. I was riding in 45 degree temps. That then needs to factor in what happens with a mechanical or fall and how far am I from “help”, I.E. how much extra clothing can I carry, want to haul along for the “what if” scenario ( I packed a small survival kit and a first aid kit for this ride). Makes it harder to go light and fast. 2) In some areas there’s nobody on these roads this time of year (after Labor Day, before hunting season opens), thus another “what if” scenario that nobody finds the body for a while, yuk, yuk. I bagged one remote gravel ride and did a road ride on a 15 mile dead end paved road that had occasional traffic.

This ultimately is not an age issue, as much as a common sense issue, but I did find my comfort zone, so that was good to know.