Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Rolling while folded - 20in wheels

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Rolling while folded - 20in wheels

Old 06-23-20, 02:39 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by billridesbikes
I only use the quick fold on the Bike Friday and a nylon bag to stash it in the hotel closet so it's out of sight from staff in those 'no bicycles allowed inside' kind of hotels or smuggle it through the lobby and up the elevator. It's too inconvenient and bulky to carry around folded, so I only carry a cable lock for cafe stops. Otherwise it gets packed in the rolling suitcase. Sadly this year Bike Friday has been stuck in the suitcase as travel has come to a halt.

Also, that 10 seconds difference can be critical when you're avoiding the Hilton security staff or when your boss is in the lobby looking for you to to 'ask one more thing about the presentation tomorrow'.
Lol, if my bike can't stay there then I don't stay there, period. I've never had a job where I had to hide from my boss so can't really speak to the other situation.
Old 06-27-20, 11:57 AM
Simple Simon
Life in Mono

Bikes: 5 bikes, all the usual types

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Pacific Cycles iF Series - 20" and 26" (they used to also do a 700c, and as mentioned the Reach iF ) all Roll when folded:
https://www.pacific-cycles.com/if
Old 06-28-20, 09:23 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 584 Posts
Originally Posted by Simple Simon
Pacific Cycles iF Series - 20" and 26" (they used to also do a 700c, and as mentioned the Reach iF ) all Roll when folded:
https://www.pacific-cycles.com/if
Apparently the OP doesn't want the bike to fold in the middle (top tube),...
Old 07-08-20, 11:18 AM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
I am big into foldies and none of them roll for beans. Lugable, hard to lift due to their bulk and weight, for a feeble old guy like me.
Best thing I have done is emulating the Brompton GOrack ($$ item) with an old collapsing 2 wheel trolley if I have any distance to go.
Heavy (sorta) and inelegant (huh yep), but easy to roll once set up
Foldies are all about compromises, just gotta decide what works in your application,

The more I think of this, the more I am aware of the lack of "universal " rolling, with the idea that it should be like rolling a unicycle around.
Not gonna happen, in more than one maybe two situations, but will "not be too hideous" in others.
Funny are the tales of "concealing" a Brompton in a cover , as an example
Foldies really should be better categorized as Collapsable, lug-able, drag-able , packable, stashable. Roll able on anything other than smooth flooring, not so much.

PS: Agree with linberl below , weight is a big deal once folded. Compactness balances the weight of the Brompton , my Dahons are bulky and feel much heavier than they are at the same weight. the BFsatrday feels 10 lbs heavier than it is, due to bulk. Less than 20 lbs/9kg is good once the hinges are invoked.

Last edited by bikebikebike; 09-19-20 at 03:32 PM.
Likes For bikebikebike:
Old 07-08-20, 12:00 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by bikebikebike
I am big into foldies and none of them roll for beans. Lugable, hard to lift due to their bulk and weight, for a feeble old guy like me.
Best thing I have done is emulating the Brompton GOrack ($$ item) with an old collapsing 2 wheel trolley if I have any distance to go.
Foldies are all about compromises, just gotta decide what works in your application,
The other option is a very light weight fold...my Bike Friday pakiT weighs out at 19lbs (which is a tolerable weight for this 70 y/o female) but if you're willing to spend even more than I did, you can get it down to 15 lbs! At that weight, who cares if it rolls, lol. I've carried purses that weighed more than that, a bag of groceries weighs more, etc. But if you go with a standard folder which typically weighs around 25lbs or more, rolling is a nice feature. No way I would schlep around a Brompton at 26+ pounds, so it's good it can roll. Same with most other folders. Although my Dahon Mu Uno, with a few tweaks by me, is down to 22lbs which isn't awful for a short trip up stairs. And it also rolls ok on two wheels when folded in half.
Likes For linberl:
Old 08-02-20, 03:46 PM
sodsbodkings

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
yeah i'm wondering if i could buy a non-rollable bike and improvise by clipping on some wheels or something.

The more I think of this, the more I am aware of the lack of "universal " rolling, with the idea that it should be like rolling a unicycle around.
Not gonna happen, in more than one maybe two situations, but will "not be too hideous" in others.
Funny are the tales of "concealing" a Brompton in a cover , as an example
Foldies really should be better categorized as Collapsable, lug-able, drag-able , packable, stashable. Roll able on anything other than smooth flooring, not so much.
agreed 100%.

PS: Agree with linberl below , weight is a big deal once folded. Compactness balances the weight of the Brompton , my Dahons are bulky and feel much heavier than they are at the same weight. the BFsatrday feels 10 lbs heavier than it is, due to bulk. Less than 20 lbs/19kg is good once the hinges are invoked.
good point.

Originally Posted by linberl
The other option is a very light weight fold...my Bike Friday pakiT weighs out at 19lbs (which is a tolerable weight for this 70 y/o female) but if you're willing to spend even more than I did, you can get it down to 15 lbs! At that weight, who cares if it rolls, lol. I've carried purses that weighed more than that, a bag of groceries weighs more, etc. But if you go with a standard folder which typically weighs around 25lbs or more, rolling is a nice feature. No way I would schlep around a Brompton at 26+ pounds, so it's good it can roll. Same with most other folders. Although my Dahon Mu Uno, with a few tweaks by me, is down to 22lbs which isn't awful for a short trip up stairs. And it also rolls ok on two wheels when folded in half.
thanks for sharing, linberl
alas, it costs $6000 USD for the 16.5lb version of the Bike Friday Pocket Rocket. out of my budget.
i looked at the Dahon Mu Uno, seems nice! but it folds in the middle, which I don't want. and it is only 1-speed - i've got hilly terrain, I think I need more speeds. thank you!

Last edited by sodsbodkings; 08-02-20 at 03:50 PM.
Old 08-03-20, 12:52 AM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

For $6000, I could hire a porter, or a host of turbaned ruffians, to carry it for me.
Old 09-17-20, 03:02 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Can the Dahon Speed roll when folded? I guess it wouldn't fit the OP's criteria. However, it would probably fit mine.

I'd like to find a list of currently produced bicycles that can roll while folded.

So far I know of:
Brompton.
Dahon Curve.
Birdy
Old 09-17-20, 08:03 PM
wesgreen

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Dahon Vitesse rolls great when folded. Since it's almost the same frame design, I assume Speed does as well. You have to know how to position the magnet and set your steering column.
Old 09-18-20, 01:22 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 584 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyah
Can the Dahon Speed roll when folded? I guess it wouldn't fit the OP's criteria. However, it would probably fit mine.

I'd like to find a list of currently produced bicycles that can roll while folded.

So far I know of:
Brompton.
Dahon Curve.
Birdy
Originally Posted by wesgreen
Dahon Vitesse rolls great when folded. Since it's almost the same frame design, I assume Speed does as well. You have to know how to position the magnet and set your steering column.
The only issue I have about rolling my folded Dahons is the magnets will tend to seperate, causing the bikes to open. How to solve the problem? Use velcro, and the bikes remain folded. It's as simple as that.
Old 09-18-20, 07:05 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by sodsbodkings

thanks for sharing, linberl
alas, it costs $6000 USD for the 16.5lb version of the Bike Friday Pocket Rocket. out of my budget.
i looked at the Dahon Mu Uno, seems nice! but it folds in the middle, which I don't want. and it is only 1-speed - i've got hilly terrain, I think I need more speeds. thank you!
Maybe think about buying a second hand folder with a great frame. Take the $ saved and throw a boatload of super lite dura ace on it, some super lite new wheels, etc. You can also buy used BF PR; if interested I can provide you with the best forum source. BF also sells just frames so you could build up something on a sweet frame with no hinge that makes you happy. And Bikes Direct has a minivelo you can cannibalize the frame from for a rebuild. There's a big thread here on it. Of course, if you can't or don't like to wrench, none of this is really cost-effective.
Old 03-15-21, 12:41 PM
Daytriker

Bikes: HP Velotechnik / Trident

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Possible Option

A possible option that might fit your requirements is the Chedech Folder out of Korea. They have one version with a similar Brompton style rack for rolling while folded, 5 speed internal gear hub & 18 inch wheels for $2650. u.s. & their ultralight version that weighs 15 lbs or so for $3700. Tried to make sense of the various versions but their site is a nightmare to navigate.
https://chedech.com/shopping-mall-3
Old 03-21-21, 12:02 PM
bikebikebike

Can the Dahon Speed roll when folded?
About as well as the Curve,
which is not to say, well. Wheels are not parallel so you need to tilt one up.
Totally doable but you have to wrestle with it a bit.

That's why I use the hand cart if any real distance needs to be covered
Old 03-22-21, 02:22 AM
pinholecam

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 96 Posts

So far I know of:
Brompton.
Dahon Curve.
Birdy

Old thread and I would think the TS has already gotten his/her bike.

Anyway, to clarify on this misconception that the Dahon/Tern type frame fold bikes can't be pushed after fold.
Fact, is, most of them can and in fact they roll better.

I've used/tried both roller based folding bikes (ie. Brompton and Tyrell IVE ) and Dahon/Tern like folding bikes (Crius, Dahon )
Most of them come with a magnet which when properly adjusted, will keep the folded wheels aligned for pushing.
The problem (does not even happen for 16", 14" folders) is that the magnet may not be strong enough to hold the wheels together and may open up when coming up against resistance during pushing (eg. a bumpier curb for example)
This is easily solved with a velcro strap (or even a dis-used inner tube) to secure the wheels together.

The advantage of this type of rolling is that its using the 20" pneumatic wheels (or 14", 16" ) of the bike, hence it rolls over/down curbs, blindman floor markings, gaps between train and platform, etc with ease.
This is opposed to small roller wheels system on Brompton, Birdy, IVE, which chatter a lot over uneven surfaces and need lifting over curbs and gaps.

The only catch to all this is that not all Dahon/Tern like folders are made equal and there may still be some models out there that fold such that the wheels are never parallel to each other.
So the buyer should seek out this information (online ) or at the store before buying.
Old 03-22-21, 04:03 AM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 99 Posts
That's why Tern offers two add-on's:
Old 03-28-21, 07:17 PM
Daytriker

Bikes: HP Velotechnik / Trident

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It's always good to have a resource of updated information even if the OP has long bought their bike. When looking for features, they may not have been available at the time the question was posted. The Tern BYB could be added to this list but at the asking price in Canada, it would have to be something exceptional. I'm a firm believer that over time any design wiith multiple splits for hinges will develop movement so my preference is for a solid frame with a tuck under wheel such as the Ahooga, Brompton, Chedech & IVE. I'm sure there are others & Ahooga seems to only sell in Europe. All these models can be rolled when folded.