Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Total knee replacement and pedals

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 07-15-20, 10:22 AM
Senior Vagabond
Senior

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I have read many posts regarding cycling and TKR (and posted a similar question on other thread) but have not seen one specially focused on the type pedal riders use after the surgery and full recovery. I have had both knees replaced several years ago but for a variety of reasons I am just now getting back on my road bike after 5 years of pursuing other activities. One ortho told me don't risk being clipped in while another one said it shouldn't be a problem if you have considerable float and quick release adjusted in the SPD petal (which I do). I used to always ride with clipped in but have been using flat pedals to get back being comfortable on the bike again but would like to go back to my SPD's soon if it makes sense. I am nearly 70 and currently ride 50-75 miles a week but look to take that up once I get back into bike shape. So for those of you that have had TKR what type pedals are you using and are there any adjustments needed to support your bionic knees?
Old 07-15-20, 06:18 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3556 Post(s)
Liked 3,332 Times in 1,899 Posts
Can you get a referral to a sports medicine physical therapist? They might have some good ideas.
Old 07-16-20, 02:38 PM
metalheart44

Bikes: Holland Exogrid & Holland HC

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Senior Vagabond
I have read many posts regarding cycling and TKR (and posted a similar question on other thread) but have not seen one specially focused on the type pedal riders use after the surgery and full recovery. I have had both knees replaced several years ago but for a variety of reasons I am just now getting back on my road bike after 5 years of pursuing other activities. One ortho told me don't risk being clipped in while another one said it shouldn't be a problem if you have considerable float and quick release adjusted in the SPD petal (which I do). I used to always ride with clipped in but have been using flat pedals to get back being comfortable on the bike again but would like to go back to my SPD's soon if it makes sense. I am nearly 70 and currently ride 50-75 miles a week but look to take that up once I get back into bike shape. So for those of you that have had TKR what type pedals are you using and are there any adjustments needed to support your bionic knees?

I use Speedplay Light Action pedals, easy in and out, plenty of float if you need that. Used these before surgery and see no reason to change yet.
Old 07-18-20, 06:56 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4554 Post(s)
Liked 2,789 Times in 1,794 Posts
Try some oversized platform pedals that give plenty of room to move the feet around to find the sweet spot. I ride both: clipless on the road bikes, platform on the hybrids. No problems switching between the bikes, takes maybe a minute or two of riding to regain the small differences in pedaling style.

Anytime I feel a knee twinge with clipless I switch to the hybrid with flat pedals for a few days/rides to see if it's an ergonomic issue or a "just getting old" issue. Usually it's due to barometric pressure shifts with regional t-storms. I can feel those in every joint and muscle in my body. Soon as the storm passes and pressure stabilizes I'm fine again. I used to laugh at my grandparents when they claimed their knees were barometric pressure gauges. Now that I'm their age, I ain't laughing.

I use iSSi Thumps on one hybrid. Large platform with slight curve to accommodate the foot's natural curve. I really like 'em. There's also a much larger, pricier platform that's well regarded -- can't remember the name right now. The iSSi Thump costs $40 a pair. Plastic/nylon with molded pegs that grab my walking shoes without tearing up the soles. I don't ride aggressively off-road so these are good enough for me.
Old 07-18-20, 09:49 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1927 Post(s)
Liked 2,143 Times in 1,309 Posts
I use older Shimano platform/road pedals (7400/6207) with toe clips and straps. I do not use a cleat so my foot is free to float in whatever manner.

The shoes I wear are Specialized Elite touring shoes that are quite rigid but have a rubberized sole so I can walk in them; they grip on pavement. Any similar shoe will work as well.

I have used this setup for years with no adverse effects and they don’t slip off the pedals. I’ve never been in the pull up on the pedals camp. At 68, I’ll just ride as I always have.

I use hiking shoes on my mountain bike and urban bike with pegged platform pedals. But I like the feel of a more rigid sole on my road bike.

John

Last edited by 70sSanO; 07-18-20 at 09:54 AM.
Old 07-18-20, 10:25 AM
motorthings

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
only a partial knee (PFJR here), but second the recommendation of speedplay light or ultralight action
i use mine with zero cleats, to be able to dial in the float/release more closely, instead of having full float with the standard light action cleats ('i'm fussy like that)
i'd say go with the ultra light action and stock cleats, and then if you don't like the full float, you can swap to the zeros.
Old 07-19-20, 03:36 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3179 Post(s)
Liked 2,006 Times in 1,149 Posts
I asked my buddy who’s had 2 replacements (one this past end of Feb.) and recently switched to Shimano LX level SPD on his road bike, with the SM 56 cleats, plenty of lateral float so he’s had no issues. He also uses these pedals on his mt. bike and had no issues with the earlier new knee.
Old 07-22-20, 05:43 PM
Pearson100

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Had my left knee replaced last October and am back to riding. I use Shimano SH-56 cleats (on mountain bike shoes) and have not had any problems on my new knee at all (I ride on road and gravel). Have already ridden two centuries this month. In fact, the only issue I'm having is pain in my other knee which will have to be replaced this coming October!
Old 07-23-20, 08:30 AM
Senior Vagabond
Senior

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks for all the great comments. Have ridden the past couple of weeks with my SPD-SL pedals. I will need to see how that goes and maybe try some of your suggestions.
Old 08-27-20, 09:05 AM
banjaboy

Bikes: Focus Izalco Pro 3.0 Specialized Sirrus 6.0 Genesis Core 50

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
I have had both knees replaced within the last 5 years, heads up to anyone facing this? DO YOUR PHYSIO!!!!!!! If you want good range of motion, no pain no gain....Anyway, I have 3 bikes, a road bike, mountain/trail bike and a fitness bike, Specialized Sirrus 6.0, full carbon. My road bike is a Focus Izalco Pro 3.0 Carbon , the trail bike is aluminum, old style hard tail. I use SPD pedals on my road bike, easy to clip in and out, stable platform, flat pedals on my trai bike and combined SPD/flat on the Sirrus fitness bike. The best thing I ever bought for any bike I have ever owned was a pro bike fit on my last road bike, It was expensive but my bike fit me like a glove, that was before my knees were replaced and I was in pain, the fit alleviated this. I'm now going to get a fit on my Focus. So, my experience? try SPD on any bike you want to clip into, float is fine and tension is as little or as much as you want. Also when you get off to eat, walk, be a human you can walk lol!!!
Old 08-30-20, 07:55 PM
banjaboy

Thats on my list for sure.
Old 08-30-20, 07:59 PM
banjaboy

Im thinking im going to go with Look type pedals, I think bigger contact area, really stiff sole will prevent any kind of flexing which seems to be the thing that really hurts, its not so much pressure as flexing the toe thay hurts and my SPD shoes are not as stiff as a road style shoe. Sugery is the last thing I want. 2 total knee replacements and 2 hernia surgeries in the last 5 years is enough for a while.
Old 09-06-20, 08:37 PM
Smogsteve

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac, Specilized Roubaix Pro, Schwinn Paramount 1971, trek Remedy, AMP Mtn bike, Cannondale R700, Ibis hardtail,other old bikes

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I had both knees replaced over 7 years ago ( 1 at a time) I have used Shimano road pedals with multi release cleats and have had no problems other than self stupidity. Please remember to clip out when you stop.I have been clipped or strapped in for 50+ years and do not know how to use flat pedals.Use your head and you will be fine.,
Old 09-14-20, 07:42 AM
banjaboy

From my experience since my new knees were installed. Lots of float seems to be the answer, for me anyway.
Old 09-17-20, 07:57 AM
hobkirk
Retired dabbler

Location: Acton, MA (20 miles west of Boston) - GORGEOUS cycling territory!

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple - 1st ride = century 9/19/2010 , Ultegra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fortunately I did not get any such advice, so I just continued using SPD pedals. After 5 years, I have not noticed a problem that is not related to being older (75 next week).
Old 09-17-20, 09:00 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3866 Post(s)
Liked 1,911 Times in 1,362 Posts
I can't imaging why there would be a problem. I mean, people with TKR still ski hard in the bumps after if they did so before.