Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Sore Calf

Old 09-18-20, 05:04 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
That's what I don't get. Outdoors my bike stays stationary under me, though it does move side to side a bit, Hard to ride the white line for very long. It certainly doesn't go forward and backward. OTOH, on my rollers I don't go from sitting to standing a lot. I mostly sit, maybe stand every 20', if that. OTOH I understand that I haven't tried it. Still, I can't see what value it would bring to a workout in terms of fitness gained for dollar or time spent.

I don't feel locked stationary, though I admit rollers take a lot more concentration than outdoor riding. I had a friend walk in the door unexpectedly last year. I said "Hello!" and was on the floor. OTOH I think concentration is a good thing. I like it, that Zen thing I guess. Ya gotta be here now.
Yeah you have to try it. I can understand it sounds artificial but I can assure you it’s not. I have some non floating rollers and the difference between the two is quite remarkable.

Old 09-18-20, 09:47 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3866 Post(s)
Liked 1,911 Times in 1,362 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs
Yeah you have to try it. I can understand it sounds artificial but I can assure you it’s not. I have some non floating rollers and the difference between the two is quite remarkable.
Yeah, but when he sits down, his rollers are just as still as are mine. And sprinting on rollers or a trainer is a complete waste of time, since nothing is being accelerated except the wheels and rollers, nada, plus no increasing wind resistance. One has to sprint on the road to get any good out of it.

I use my rollers for either steady state or intervals, which are also steady-state, just shorter periods of it. I get to do things on them which would be impossible outdoors due to interruptions like climbs, descents, and traffic controls.

It is interesting to me how cycling equipment becomes ever more complicated and expensive. I bought my very simple resistance rollers 20+ years ago for $125. It's still not necessary to spend a lot of dough on a set. Look on youtube for conversions of simple aluminum roller sets to resistance sets, even build your own free-motion roller set. Search youtube for "magnetic resistance rollers" for example. BTW, it's not necessary to alter the resistance of the set during a workout. That's what gears are for, just like on the road.