Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Another 50 something killed by tractor trailer

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Another 50 something killed by tractor trailer

Old 08-21-20, 07:24 PM
Machoman121

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
My 5 cents safety tip is the only safe place to be whenever a long big vehicle like that is near u is at the back - DEFINITELY NOT AT THE SIDE. If for whatever reason you find yourself next to a long vehicle or bus - immediately apply the brakes and allow yourself to get to the back ASAP. Do not ride along side these vechicles - they'll clean you up when they turn or move in the lane.
Likes For Machoman121:
Old 08-21-20, 08:21 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
The 5 cents safety tip is typically given by people who don’t in fact ride around trucks, busses, parked cars, Harvard Square, Porter Square.....

But thank you for your helpful hint.

(No matter what your plan B or C or D is, the “pros” can take you out in a blink of an eye. Hope you signaled and are wearing a non-white helmet.)

We’ll take it under advisement.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 08-21-20 at 08:27 PM.
Old 08-22-20, 09:04 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
that's the main problem, people just don't take driving >> bicycles<< safety seriously.
fify
Old 08-22-20, 10:07 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 238 Posts
Las Vegas SOLVED the problem and put ped overpasses at almost every corner on the main boulevard.
Chengdu has some as well.
When I go for a long ride and go by truck routes, it is very SELDOM I don't make a GOOD impression on a couple truck drivers, and car drivers for that matter....
By identifying what I need to do to be visible and facilitate the crossover of merge lanes, etc., and DOING it.
Obviously, Cambridge and their cyclists have learned NOTHING with any of these truck happenings.

-mr. bill[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=mr_bill;21653440]ALL of the witnesses should be considered unreliable. Including his niece. Just leave it at that.
Making it clear, that's a pull quote from Richard Curran, Sharon Hamer's husband.
Emphasizing, it will be a LONG time before we know what happened. Even for Sharon Hamer.

(Full disclosure. IMO, Marion Ryan, Middlesex County DA, has a blame the victim history when it comes to road crimes. For example, and I'm quoting Richard Curran here, "At that time I challenged the members of the City Council to identify Harvard Square’s crosswalks using Google Earth. It’s virtually impossible to pick out the crosswalks." 1000 times yes.)
Old 08-26-20, 06:03 AM
mr_bill

More accurate headline: Cambridge waited for yet another road killing before painting

-mr. bil
Old 09-06-20, 02:32 PM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by CerveloS5
We all know flyers won't do a thing. This has to be a technology that is developed into the vehicle RADAR and LiDAR systems.
A bicycle rider in the U.S. is 11 times as likely to be killed, per mile ridden, as one in The Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, etc. The difference is in road design. They have safe bikeways and safe crossings so that bicycle riders don't have to share the road with 5,000 lb vehicles (85,000 lb ?) being controlled by someone who is not paying attention to what they're doing and is in a protective steel cage so crashes aren't very impactful to them anyway.

Unlike the U.S., they don't prioritize LOS - Level Of Service for drivers - which loosely translated means no or few delays or need to slow down.

I believe Tesla is ahead of others in self driving technology, has been working on it for over a decade, and they still cannot get their system to accurately recognize someone walking or bicycling.
Old 09-11-20, 10:40 PM
5 mph

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by CerveloS5

To all of the Engineers and Entrepreneurs on this forum, can we not develop a technology to make drivers passing cyclists AWARE that we are there? Seems if every vehicle on the road had the technology and every bike on the road had the technology, the market size would be big enough?
I realize that many are sharing grief and I apologize for just thinking technically.

Has anyone done a statistical analysis of a large number of accidents and modeled them to determine what information or knowledge the bike rider had of the errant vehicle prior to the accident?

Last edited by 5 mph; 09-11-20 at 10:57 PM.
Old 09-16-20, 05:08 PM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 79 Posts
Motorcycle for many years. Trucks are dangerous for a big zone all around, kicking up debris , sideswiping , shedding tread.
Agree with 5cent, get far away, plan an escape, pay attention.
The lucky think they are smart, the smart know they are lucky.
Likes For bikebikebike:
Old 09-18-20, 08:10 PM
NVanHiker

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Then there's this. (Sea-to-Sky highway, BC). Two cyclists hit, one in bad shape.
Old 09-19-20, 02:19 PM
mr_bill

Ghost Bike of Pikachu, Darryl Willis.

-mr. bill
Old 09-26-20, 11:03 AM
Cacti

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Terrible story, but I'm missing why it's in the +50 forum. Are riders >50 more likely to be hit by trucks or cars? Seems like this could've happened to anyone. A young adult or teenager

I'm a newbie, so serious question
Likes For Cacti:
Old 09-26-20, 09:05 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8148 Post(s)
Liked 8,800 Times in 4,368 Posts
Originally Posted by Cacti
Terrible story, but I'm missing why it's in the +50 forum. Are riders >50 more likely to be hit by trucks or cars? Seems like this could've happened to anyone. A young adult or teenager

I'm a newbie, so serious question
No, there is no real reason for this to be 50+. These "death threads" used to end up in the Advocacy and Safety forum.