Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Crashed today

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Crashed today

Old 09-19-20, 04:14 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked 1,160 Times in 676 Posts
Crashed today

It really started out as a really nice day. Here in Reno we had strong south winds yesterday that took loads of smoke away from our basin. This morning it was as clear as i can recall. Decided to go for my monthly long ride. Flatted the rear about 17 miles in (lovely). fixed and on my way, heading up a new climb i found recently and went to take a right hand turn that i remembered was a slight right. i remembered incorrectly. strava shows me going about 30mph then a controlled reduction in speed to 21, then nothing. down for the count. got very lucky. i locked up the back wheel and began to swerve, instinctively steered into the slide, recovered the wheel, locked up again, began to swerve again, steered into and recovered again, then ran out of road. was heading for a stop sign, some other sign, some poles protecting a big electrical box. got lucky to make it through that obstacle course but lost control when i hit the soft shoulder and dumped it just before i smashed into the split rail fence. wound up under the bottom rail when all was over.

good news, bike ok even having landed on the drive side. soft dirt helped. and i only hurt my hand and knee. good crash because i was able to walk away. don't tell the wife.

funny, when i got back home to look at the strava details i really expected to see my heart rate jump up. nothing at all, if it were not for the sudden drop in speed and cadence i would think nothing of it. cool, calm, and collected?
Likes For spelger:
Old 09-19-20, 05:59 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 769 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
.....................good news, bike ok even having landed on the drive side. soft dirt helped..............
Great news about the bike!!! and good 4 u 2.

BTW, video would have been nice.
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 09-19-20, 06:05 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1380 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 815 Posts
Scary stuff! Thanks for sharing, and congrats on avoiding anything worse.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 09-19-20, 06:28 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Glad you're OK... bike is secondary.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 09-19-20, 06:47 PM
wthensler 

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7, 2012 Giant Defy 0, 2012 Trek Domane 6.2 P1, Bianchi Infinito CV disc Di2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 250 Posts
Ouch. Glad you were okay. Brings back bad memories of my crash almost 4 years ago to the day. I wasn’t so lucky - suffered a broken pelvis and spent two nights in UVA hospital.
Old 09-19-20, 07:48 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Not sure I understand the cause of the crash, was it carrying too much speed into a curve?
Old 09-19-20, 09:34 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked 1,160 Times in 676 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
Not sure I understand the cause of the crash, was it carrying too much speed into a curve?
Travelling too fast to make what I remembered was a slight bend onto another road. Remembered wrong, it was a 90 degree. I entered far too fast.
Old 09-19-20, 09:51 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 1,998 Times in 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
It really started out as a really nice day. Here in Reno we had strong south winds yesterday that took loads of smoke away from our basin. This morning it was as clear as i can recall. Decided to go for my monthly long ride. Flatted the rear about 17 miles in (lovely). fixed and on my way, heading up a new climb i found recently and went to take a right hand turn that i remembered was a slight right. i remembered incorrectly. strava shows me going about 30mph then a controlled reduction in speed to 21, then nothing. down for the count. got very lucky. i locked up the back wheel and began to swerve, instinctively steered into the slide, recovered the wheel, locked up again, began to swerve again, steered into and recovered again, then ran out of road. was heading for a stop sign, some other sign, some poles protecting a big electrical box. got lucky to make it through that obstacle course but lost control when i hit the soft shoulder and dumped it just before i smashed into the split rail fence. wound up under the bottom rail when all was over.

good news, bike ok even having landed on the drive side. soft dirt helped. and i only hurt my hand and knee. good crash because i was able to walk away. don't tell the wife.

funny, when i got back home to look at the strava details i really expected to see my heart rate jump up. nothing at all, if it were not for the sudden drop in speed and cadence i would think nothing of it. cool, calm, and collected?
So your saying you went out for a ride, maybe spent a couple extra minutes in the garage cleaning the bike afterwards. Well done. Carry on.