Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Battery powered air compressor

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 09-21-20, 01:43 PM
Texboy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

What do you think of the battery powered tire pumps? These seem can only pump one tire at time. Rest it about 10 minutes and then pump another tire to prevent over heating.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=air+compr...ref=nb_sb_noss
Old 09-21-20, 02:10 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
I don't know why I'd need one. Decent floor pump fills all my tires up and probably to a higher pressure. If I had to fill more tires than my own, I'd probably go for a small portable compressor with a tank. I have a shop compressor with a large tank, but I seldom ever use it for my bicycle tires.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 09-21-20, 03:13 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
I was looking into that, but then got put off by the perspective of still another type of battery, with a dedicated charger, that I would need to maintain. All these power tool batteries are just repackaged 18650 cells. It is getting so bad that I see room for governmental agencies to step in to stop that ridiculous proliferation.
Old 09-21-20, 05:48 PM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
https://www.fumpapumps.com/
Old 09-21-20, 08:27 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Honestly my interest was in the fact that sometimes my family asks me to pump up their car tires with my bike pump which is a bit slow. Use of such a power inflator just on the bike tires hardly stirs up any of my interest. However I then read a review saying that pumping one car tire with such a power tool pump took 8 minutes and by then the battery was completely drained. One could argue about topping up vs pumping the full tire, but one way or another I am passing.
Old 09-22-20, 08:22 AM
Tamiya

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Texboy
What do you think of the battery powered tire pumps? These seem can only pump one tire at time. Rest it about 10 minutes and then pump another tire to prevent over heating.
Don't buy those generic yumcha units... if you're already invested into a 20V system, most brands have a airpump skin to suit your fleet of batteries.

i use a trigger style one with digital guage, mine runs PowerGXfinity/Ferrex style 20V battery. I clip on the big 4Ah at home; smaller 2Ah for field use. Once did 50+ bikes one Morning & still plenty of juice remaining, Li-ion is amazing. Heaps more power than those that run off 12V ciggy lighter.

Yeah it might take 5-10mins to do 1 car tyre from flat, but bike tyres nah... every other month I'll topup 20-30 bikes & it takes 10mins total.

Sure to all who say I can do same with trackpump - but the bikes would have to be all on the floor. Cordless handheld, I pump them WITHOUT lugging them off their wall hooks = godsent!
Old 09-22-20, 08:38 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Ridgid makes a nice compact one. Rated to 150psi and I can personally confirm it will easily put 80psi in my heavy duty truck tires. This is what I bought it for, but it does come with presta adapter and other adapters to inflate other things. Fills bike tires no problem, but as mentioned bicycle hand pump is more than sufficient. It has both auto shutoff and manual capability.

It comes with a 12ft 12v adapter so you don’t need to use a special battery. I happen to have a bunch of Ridgid tools so I have batteries.

Old 09-22-20, 08:41 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
I wouldn't do anything as big as a car tire either with a floor pump unless the only option. That is when I use my shop compressor. But a small portable compressor with a tank will work fine for a car tire or even a large truck tire. And it will be useful for much more than any of these small battery powered toys. If I was to get a toy air compressor, I'd go for one that runs off my vehicles battery. Less chance of my car battery being dead than something I have to remember to plug in every so often.
Old 09-22-20, 10:24 AM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
I lusted after one of those drill looking things.
Then looked at the reviews , 8-(
I have a $20 Harbor Freight plug in for the car that does the job if I need more muscle.
Takes 10 min to top up a car tire, which is why the Drill like thingies fail.
Used to carry a small plug-in type for the M/C, check out Riderswarehouse if you want
Cars have power, bikes live near outlets, Jerseys have pockets.
Old 09-22-20, 11:01 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
Originally Posted by Texboy
What do you think of the battery powered tire pumps? These seem can only pump one tire at time. ...
How many tires do you have that need pumping up?

I only pump up one or two at a time, use a floor pump for home use.

Old 09-23-20, 10:00 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
A manufacturer contacted me and asked me to review one of these devices. He sent it to me for free. I'll post my impressions here.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 09-25-20, 07:23 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
I believe Bosch made a portable tire inflator at one point that a lot of CX/MTB pro mechanics use. It seems neat for them but I wouldn't use it for personal use and certainly wouldn't waste money on cheap amazon junk. Unless I had some physical limitations that did not allow me to pump for some crazy reason, I wouldn't want to use anything but a pump. My pump works relatively quickly with not a ton of strokes. If I needed something even easier I could go with the Topeak JoeBlow Twin Turbo. I use a compressor at the shop sometimes because it is easier but I still prefer pumping.
Old 10-01-20, 08:19 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
I didn't think these things would be very useful, as I like my floor pump just fine. I keep a floor pump in the home for the bikes and another in each car because sometimes a tire needs topping up. Also, my spouse once got a flat in her car, and the spare was totally deflated, so that's a bad situation.

Here are my impressions of the Cycplus A5. The price on Amazon is $47.99. Cycplus has some other, less expensive models.

First, disclosure: As I said earlier, I received this unit in consideration of writing this review.

Second, this compressor really works well. I inflated my bike tires to 90 psi. No trouble. It claims it can go to 150 psi. Then I topped up my car tires with it. Also, no trouble. One of the nicest features is that you can dial up your desired pressure, and the unit just stops when it reaches that pressure. I don't know if it can fill a car tire from empty on a single charge.

Third, the size and weight are impressive. I think it weighs slightly more than half a pound (250 grams). You could even bring it with you on your bike without making it significantly heavier.

The compressor comes with a USB charging cable and a cigarette lighter cable.

I decided to leave the unit in my spouse's car's glove compartment with a USB charging cord connected to it forever. It only charges when the car is on, so my spouse won't be draining the car's battery this way. She can now inflate her tires easily now when she needs to.

The person at the manufacturer was polite and pleasant, and our communications went very well.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-01-20, 08:52 AM
jadocs

Originally Posted by noglider
I don't know if it can fill a car tire from empty on a single charge.
Duty cycle is probably 5 or 10 minutes, which means run it for 5 then let it rest for 5 (if duty cycle is 5 min) so it doesn't overheat. So yes it could fill a car tire up from empty, but the question is how long would it take given the duty cycle.
Likes For jadocs:
Old 10-01-20, 10:40 AM
momoman

Bikes: 2013 Wilier Gran Turismo, 1983 Trek 760, 80's Colnago Super, 90's De Rosa SLX, 2009 Waterford 22 Series Singlespeed, 85 Medici Pro Strada, De Rosa Alumino frameset, Dave Molten Fuso frameset, 70's beater Peugeot PX10, Zizzo Liberte, 2022 Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 92 Posts
I already own 20v Dewalt power tools so I bought the 20v air compressor (tool only) for $80 on sale a year ago on Black Friday. I use it for car tires, wheelbarrow tires and bike tires. I pump up about 3-4 sets of bike tires every 1-2 weeks. I bought a screw on presta valve head for the pump hose. It can fill up a 700 x 25mm tire from 0 to 100 lbs in 28 secs. The max PSI is 160. I carry it in my car to group rides with my friends.

Likes For momoman:
Old 10-01-20, 12:04 PM
jadocs

Yep, you really can't go wrong. Milwaukee, Dewalt, Ridgid, Makita, Ryobi, all make cordless air that will do the job.