Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How does an Alfine hub compare to a cassette for ratios????

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-20, 07:41 PM
jzsoup

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Someone please educate me. I’m looking at a handcycle (I’m paralyzed) with the option of an Alfine 8 or 11 hub. I currently run a 1x10 on a 10 speed cassette. My high gear is 36x11. The bike I’m looking at will have a 36t chainring. Additionally, I’m going to add electric assist so I can keep up-ish with people on 2 wheel bikes.

This is where I’m lost....How will an Alfine compare to what I have now???? I’d like it to be at least as ‘fast’ as the 36 x 11.

please help!!!
Old 09-22-20, 07:56 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Here is a really good calculator where you can compare two different drivetrains side-by-side, including graphical and numeric information including total range: https://www.kstoerz.com/gearcalc/compare/
It includes a variety of internal gear hubs so you can directly compare with a cassette system.
You can find a lot of useful articles if you search on "Sheldon Brown IGH"