Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cycling Is A Poor Form of Exercise :-(

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cycling Is A Poor Form of Exercise :-(

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-20, 06:49 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,271 Times in 1,273 Posts
Originally Posted by djcookie
I've gone to two local meetups with road cycling clubs. One was a social meet up, and the members seemed far more fit than the average person of their ages (most were older). At the second meet, everyone was ready for a ride in their gear. I was shocked by their appearance. In full lycra kit, they had comically oversized pot bellies, but with skinny noodly arms and legs.

Basically, cycling is just sitting. It is not weight bearing. Your bones become weaker as you sweat away minerals over long miles. Your muscles and bones don't become any stronger because they don't have to bear any weight. As a matter of fact, any additional weight is a liability, so additional muscle mass only penalizes you on climbs.

Even when I was riding many miles a week, I never lost any significant weight. In the past couple of weeks, I've been walking and hiking instead. I've lost more weight in these past couple of weeks than I did when I was riding upwards of 200 miles a week cycling!

Cycling for me is more about fun and recreation rather than "physical fitness." You become fit when you become stronger, and cycling may actually lead to the opposite.
i somehow feel you are “baiting replies”. Posting on a bike forum that cycling is poor exercise is just baiting response as any aerobic exercise is healthy if done consistently and wisely. If it doesn’t work for you , go on a hiking forum. We all know what works for ourselves and that is what we do. What doesn’t work for you matters not to me.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 09-22-20, 06:50 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
I've gone to two local meetups with road cycling clubs. One was a social meet up, and the members seemed far more fit than the average person of their ages (most were older). At the second meet, everyone was ready for a ride in their gear. I was shocked by their appearance. In full lycra kit, they had comically oversized pot bellies, but with skinny noodly arms and legs.

Basically, cycling is just sitting. It is not weight bearing. Your bones become weaker as you sweat away minerals over long miles. Your muscles and bones don't become any stronger because they don't have to bear any weight. As a matter of fact, any additional weight is a liability, so additional muscle mass only penalizes you on climbs.

Even when I was riding many miles a week, I never lost any significant weight. In the past couple of weeks, I've been walking and hiking instead. I've lost more weight in these past couple of weeks than I did when I was riding upwards of 200 miles a week cycling!

Cycling for me is more about fun and recreation rather than "physical fitness." You become fit when you become stronger, and cycling may actually lead to the opposite.
True that cycling is not weight bearing exercise. The rest, not so much.
Old 09-22-20, 06:55 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts

Is someone making you do it? You could just, um, stop. And I don't really look at it as exercise, but more of a lifestyle choice

you are free to make your own choices of course
Old 09-22-20, 07:00 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Calorie counting is unnecessary. I don't even count how many calories I burn... I eat by feel and can eat quite a lot on most days and have never been overweight yet.

You're lucky. If I allowed myself to "eat by feel" I would never stop eating.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-22-20, 07:08 PM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
Basically walking and hiking are just standing.

Likes For grizzly59:
Old 09-22-20, 07:15 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 135 Posts
If you're not getting enough exercise from cycling the only person to blame is you.

Watch the TDF? (It just finished), did you see any corpulent riders in the peloton?
Likes For Wileyrat:
Old 09-22-20, 07:17 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by vespasianus
Why do people respond to these absolutely asinine posts?
My UCP is getting a workout today.

Otto
Old 09-22-20, 07:24 PM
prime winner

Bikes: Trek Verve 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts
Since April I've been riding three residential rides a week (totaling 45-60 miles), and I've changed my eating habits. I'm down from 264 lbs to 213 lbs. Cycling is far from a poor form of exercise for me.
Old 09-22-20, 07:25 PM
pattrick

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts
It's all good.

I find the bike gives me a decent cardio workout. Living in western PA I find myself constantly climbing. Extremely long grades to one mile hills at eight, to twelve percent plus grades. If you want to make it a workout it's not hard, just push a little more. You can always go a little faster it just takes a little sadistic effort. I also do a little strength training. Pushing sixty I still play with some heavier weights. An example is I use eighty pound dumbells for reps for benching. Yes I will never win a tour with my physique but I can live with that. I would like to believe that I am a well rounded individual. As far as just getting out, anytime off your keister and moving I feel is a plus. Just remember you can never outrun a bad diet no matter how much you push. I enjoy cycling so I tend to get out to enjoy it. Any activity done with regularity I feel is a plus you just need to pick and choose for yourself.
Old 09-22-20, 07:37 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
I lost 10lbs the first year I bike commuted. And the distance was only 4.5km each way.

I use my squat and deadlift form to climb hills differently from when I was much younger.

Btw, when you climb, you are lifting your body weight plus bike and load upward for many many feet. So think of it as doing 20 barbell lunges.
Old 09-22-20, 07:50 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
I've gone to two local meetups with road cycling clubs. One was a social meet up, and the members seemed far more fit than the average person of their ages. At the second meet, everyone was ready for a ride in their gear. I was shocked by their appearance. In full lycra kit, they had comically oversized pot bellies.
I wonder if just maybe there might be a group out there that is kind of in-between those two extremes?
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 09-22-20, 09:36 PM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 140 Posts
Lol, then eat less and move more. Does a troll good.
Likes For Outrider1:
Old 09-23-20, 01:46 AM
SVTNate
Packers Fan

Bikes: 2010 Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Wileyrat
Watch the TDF? (It just finished), did you see any corpulent riders in the peloton?
I must have not been paying close enough attention, but no, I didn't see any.

I'll watch the UCI championship in Italy this weekend, and keep and eye out for pot bellies.

Those guys must be hiking like mofos when they're off the bikes. You know, to get some real exercise.
Likes For SVTNate:
Old 09-23-20, 02:22 AM
AlgarveCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
At just shy of 50 years old, in January 2019, I weighed 86kg (189lbs) which is heavy for someone only 5ft 6. I had put on the weight because I didn't adjust my diet when I went from serious Cat 1 competitive cyclist to virtually zero exercise when I relocated to London for work and found the commutes, long hours and dark, wet days a struggle.

In March 2019 I weighed 66kg. How? Limited my calories to 1200 per day and did 4-5 hours exercise 5 days a week. 1 hr gym, 3x a week, the rest cycling, 5x a week. Guess what? The bike was an e-bike. Yep, even an e-bike can give you a good workout. I rode it exclusively for 4 months before switching back to my non-assisted bikes.

I'm 51 yrs old and 65kg (143lbs) now with more muscle than I had lost and feel stronger and fitter than I was in my 30's, V02Max of 60 which gives me a fitness age of 20 and rediscovered my passion for competitive cycling - both road and MTB. I'm beating top 10 local racers in their 20's.

I typically burn between 1000 and 3000 calories on my rides, 5-6x a week. I now eat more than I did in my 'fat' years! Cycling not a good form of exercise? Rubbish!
Likes For AlgarveCycling:
Old 09-23-20, 03:34 AM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 259 Posts
Dr. Paul Dudley White thought bicycling was a great form of exercise.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4853490/

https://www.heart.org/en/affiliates/...ey-white-about

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Dudley_White
Old 09-23-20, 04:15 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Y'all realize OP pretty much swiped this from Just Ride, right?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-23-20, 04:30 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
It’s a shame but a lot of people on this forum deserve to be trolled, and this thread is a perfect example of that.
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 09-23-20, 06:47 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by downhillmaster
It’s a shame but a lot of people on this forum deserve to be trolled, and this thread is a perfect example of that.

So let's spin the topic a bit--is typing angry responses to plagiarized rants an effective form of cardio?

I do have to say that Grant Petersen wrote it better than OP.
Old 09-23-20, 06:59 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Ace864
I don't agree that it is a poor form of exercise. You can search online for a medical prove that cycling benefits your health and body shape. For me it is the best exercise. It is non-boring cardio for me

For me, that is the main point. There are definitely more "efficient" forms of cardio in that involving the upper body more does, all things being equal, burn more calories per hour. I'm sure I burn more calories per hour on an intense elliptical session than I do on even the most intense bike ride. The difference to me is that I can tolerate about 2-3 times longer sessions on the bike because I'm actually having fun doing it. Even with watching movies and the like, I max out my time on the elliptical at about 3 hours per day on weekends and about an hour during the work week. Anything over that is too mind-numbingly dull.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-23-20, 07:06 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
I eat by power...I do a lot of threshold eating.
Likes For jadocs:
Old 09-23-20, 07:13 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
You also have to stop eating so much.
Quoted for emphasis. Hitting up the food truck for 2000 calories plus 500 in micro brew after the group ride doesn't help. You could have a net gain there instead of net loss in KJ's. One pastry on a cafe' stop could cost you 1000. Downing two gels an hour could cost you up to 200 per hour.
Old 09-23-20, 08:45 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Over the years I have lowered my calories while touring without sacrificing performance. This past Sunday I finished a 9 day trip. 64 miles with some pretty good hills in the first 40 miles. For breakfast I had a bottled juice drink and a muffin from a c-store. On the road I had 3 Cliff bars and a package of Truvita crackers.
One day on tour we stopped for a second breakfast. I cheerily ate my gas station muffin, washed down with chocolate milk, and then looked at the nutrition panels on the packages. !,000 calories! After the initial squawk, before I got a good rant going, my daughter looked at me and said, "You're going to burn it off, Daddy." I guess I did, lost 30 pounds on that trip.
Old 09-23-20, 09:11 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
For me, that is the main point. There are definitely more "efficient" forms of cardio in that involving the upper body more does, all things being equal, burn more calories per hour.
I was trying to stay out of this troll’s latest party, but it’s good to remember that cycling actually is a profoundly good cardio opportunity because the high speed creates a lot of cooling and heat dissipation. This helps allow higher exertion compared to exercise without that cooling.

Swimming of course has significantly more cooling potential and is pretty much the maximum cardio option in terms of how hard you can sustainably work your cardio system.

Both cycling and swimming also have the advantage of being low impact.

Lastly, ride SS for a while and you will definitely get upper body and core workout.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 09-23-20, 09:27 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
64 years young here. Just dug a drainage trench 50' long, 18" deep with pickaxe and trenching shovel. Did it with no back strain, and my heart didn't explode. I credit almost 2,000 miles on the bikes so far this season with making me fit enough for jobs like that. I take your point about weight bearing, and notice it as I transition to more walking when it gets too cold to bike.

Climbing hills engages arms, shoulders, back, legs and butt, and all riding strengthens core muscles. As for aerobic fitness, cycling is as good as any activity, and more fun than most.
Likes For Chuckles1:
Old 09-23-20, 09:40 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts

I am almost 82 and ride about 25 miles every other day on my Trike. If what you say is true how comes a few years back, the muscles on the side of my leg got so hard, sleeping on my side was like having my leg on a log or something.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.