Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

SRAM Force eTap AXS Firmware

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 04-21-20, 04:27 PM
mrblue

Bikes: Canyon, Bowman & Colnago

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 20 Posts

I recently upgraded to the SRAM Force eTap AXS disc groupset. So far I'm loving it.

I understand one can update the component firmware via the SRAM AXS app. I downloaded the app from the Google Play store and I was surprised that it had a very low user rating. Many of the complaints seemed to be in regard to the components either not updating the firmware via the app or starting to update and then failing, and essentially bricking their components. With that in mind, I am very apprehensive about attempting to update the firmware.

Has anyone else had issues updating the components' firmware via the AXS app?

Thanks!
Old 04-21-20, 04:48 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Whoah. One whiff of possible bricking, and updates be damned unless there's a must-have fix or new feature, in which case you've gotta wonder how bad you need it.

If it was a popular Android phone, you'd stand a chance of googling an unbrick method, but I bet you'd be totally out in the cold here.
Old 04-21-20, 04:56 PM
mrblue

Originally Posted by Kimmo
Whoah. One whiff of possible bricking, and updates be damned unless there's a must-have fix or new feature, in which case you've gotta wonder how bad you need it.

If it was a popular Android phone, you'd stand a chance of googling an unbrick method, but I bet you'd be totally out in the cold here.

I completely agree with you. That is why I'm not going anywhere near the "Update" button. At least not until I am 110% sure everything will work and I won't be left with a modern art paperweight that used to be my rear derailleur.
Old 04-21-20, 05:05 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
If this is really a thing, SRAM wanna get on top of it, before EPIC SUPPORT FAIL gets tattooed on their forehead...

You'd think any update bricks should be a no-brainer for warranty.
Old 04-21-20, 05:21 PM
mrblue

Originally Posted by Kimmo
You'd think any update bricks should be a no-brainer for warranty.
Agreed.

However, I'd like to avoid the entire excruciatingly painful warranty process all together.
Old 04-21-20, 07:14 PM
Miles2go
Zen Master

Bikes: Cervelo R5 - SuperSix

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 42 Posts
Is there another way, through SRAM's site perhaps, a SRAM dealer? An avenue with more of a link to the manufacturer?
Old 04-21-20, 07:30 PM
mrblue

I went back to the Google Play store and saw that the AXS app was installed 10,000+ times. The number of reviews totaled only 235. Out of those 235 reviews about two-thirds were negative. Out of those negative reviews only a handful were complaining about the firmware updates bricking their components.

Seemed like the odds were in my favor so I tried to update the firmware.

TOTAL SUCCESS!!!
Likes For mrblue:
Old 09-23-20, 12:13 PM
dskindoc

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrblue
I recently upgraded to the SRAM Force eTap AXS disc groupset. So far I'm loving it.

I understand one can update the component firmware via the SRAM AXS app. I downloaded the app from the Google Play store and I was surprised that it had a very low user rating. Many of the complaints seemed to be in regard to the components either not updating the firmware via the app or starting to update and then failing, and essentially bricking their components. With that in mind, I am very apprehensive about attempting to update the firmware.

Has anyone else had issues updating the components' firmware via the AXS app?

Thanks!
I just updated my firmware and it was a painful experience. I updated each component separately after several tries. There may be connectivity issues between WiFi and phone data. I found turning off WiFi solved this issue. After updating each component, I ended up able to use the rear derailleur only. The app showed "master" for both derailleurs which was the problem. I deleted the bike from the app and started over.

I manually paired the device as suggested on the SRAM site. Press AXS on rear until blinking. Tap AXS on front till blinks and repeat on R + L shift levers. Press AXS on rear to save. Takes 30 seconds. Problem solved. Opened app again and started over adding the bike. It works. Not sure I will update again, but the manual pairing fixed the "brick" issue
Old 09-24-20, 02:58 AM
hedonist222

Bikes: BMC Roadmachine ONE

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I updated two SRAM AXS bicycles over the past two weeks.

Neither had any issues.

Each component updated on first try for both bikes.
Old 09-26-20, 09:36 AM
fstshrk

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
If it works, why do you need an update? My Specialized Turbo Creo is asking for software updates but it works well. I am not going to touch it.
Old 09-26-20, 09:42 AM
hedonist222

Bikes: BMC Roadmachine ONE

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
most times updates contain primary upgrades which they mention in the changelog
sometimes there will be small enhancement that they don't mention

thats why

sometimes and not so often the firmware could be buggy
but rare IMO
Old 09-26-20, 12:00 PM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 54 Posts
The Shimano app also has pretty poor reviews for the same reasons (bricking / not completing). Looks like the cycling companies should hire some actual app developers.
Old 09-26-20, 12:17 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by WorldIRC
The Shimano app also has pretty poor reviews for the same reasons (bricking / not completing). Looks like the cycling companies should hire some actual app developers.
With Shimano, all of the bricks/failed updates I've ever experienced were due to updating the wireless module wirelessly.

It should be noted that just about all consumer device pairing apps get horrible reviews. Look at in-dash entertainment unit app reviews. For Toyota's EnTune app, 'You're better off ****ing duct taping your phone to your dashboard'.
Old 03-12-22, 11:09 PM
paulbinns

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't do it! I've tried to update my AXS Rival rear derailleur yesterday have been trying to get it back ever since. Stuck in a update loop where it says the update is cancelled and then wants me to do it again.
Just steadily flashing green and nothing I do can stop it. I'm supposed to be going for a 3 day ride this week and I'm been to my lbs, been on the phone, been emailing.
Nothing yet
Old 03-12-22, 11:52 PM
tankist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 55 Posts
Updated SRAM Force eTap AXS components a few times from iPhone 13 app - never had any problems.
Old 03-13-22, 11:06 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 2,981 Posts
Originally Posted by tankist
Updated SRAM Force eTap AXS components a few times from iPhone 13 app - never had any problems.
+1 although I'm cheap and have an iPhone 6S

It's a bit of a pain having to update each component individually, but it works for me. What I wouldn't do is try to upgrade the night before a big event!
Old 03-13-22, 09:33 PM
paulbinns

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
+1 although I'm cheap and have an iPhone 6S

It's a bit of a pain having to update each component individually, but it works for me. What I wouldn't do is try to upgrade the night before a big event!
It was a few days before, but "yep!" Lessons learnt!
I finally got it going by setting my front derailleur as the primary and syncing the two shifter to that. Then I updated the rear. I think that's what made it work, but I'm not sure. ON othe road again!
Thanks
Old 03-14-22, 04:22 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 2,981 Posts
Originally Posted by paulbinns
It was a few days before, but "yep!" Lessons learnt!
I finally got it going by setting my front derailleur as the primary and syncing the two shifter to that. Then I updated the rear. I think that's what made it work, but I'm not sure. ON othe road again!
Thanks
Well done! It's always a bit of a worry whenever updating firmware. I'm inclined to leave my SRAM firmware alone since it all works flawlessly. But I did the last update because it said it was adding trim functionality within the app, which could be potentially useful. I haven't actually checked, but I assume it means you can now adjust the trim directly from the app rather than having to use the lever buttons.
Old 03-14-22, 11:18 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Haven't had a problem - about 1 year in. Last two Android versions and three different phones (that's a long story, I'm not a frequent phone changing kind of guy!)