Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Over 50 with modern road bikes?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 08-06-16, 07:31 AM
ButchA

Bikes: 1985 Fuji Del Rey, 25" frame, 12 speed

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts

Here's a question that might have been asked before, or maybe not...

Since we are all over 50 in this forum, do any of you have a current, high tech, carbon frame, road bike? Or are some of you like me, and keep things simple, C&V, and a little "old school" style?

I'm not acting all funny towards the latest, greatest, Cannondale/Specialized/Cervelo/Trek/whatever flavor/etc... I mean, I have ridden a few in a LBS, and to be honest and with sort of a confession: They scared the $*#& out of me! Way too quick, too snappy and twitchy, and most importantly - I felt like I was going to topple over the handlebars!

Can an older guy actually comfortably ride a race style bike like that? I just know that at 55, 6'0" and 212 lbs, I would be a nervous wreck riding a $5000 CF road bike with all the bells and whistles. It might break in two under my weight! Maybe that was an idiotic statement, maybe not...

I see the "younger crowd" with the high tech road bikes, all decked out in a full kit, and they're out there hauling butt. That's cool... Have a great time, dude... I'll catch up to you eventually...

My main question: Is there anything wrong with keeping things "old school"? I don't see myself parting ways with my C&V '85 Fuji road bike. Granted, yes, it's 31 years old, quad butted steel tubing, downtube shifters, etc... but it is built solid and will just keep on keepin' on.
Likes For ButchA:
Old 08-06-16, 07:36 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I'm 71 and ride this.

Cost when new — $7900. So yes, older riders can and do ride expensive bikes.

Here's my "old school" bike. Cost $3200 in 2001.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Likes For RonH:
Old 08-06-16, 07:42 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,234 Times in 615 Posts
Bought this when I was 70 y/o.

Old 08-06-16, 08:03 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by ButchA
Here's a questionthat might have been asked before, or maybe not...

Since we are all over 50 in this forum, do any of you have a current, high tech, carbon frame, road bike? Or are some of you like me, and keep things simple,C&V, and a little "old school" style?

I'm not acting all funny towards the latest, greatest,Cannondale/Specialized/Cervelo/Trek/whateverflavor/etc...I mean, I have ridden a few in a LBS, and to be honest andwith sort of a confession: They scared the $*#& out of me! Way too quick, too snappy and twitchy, and most importantly - I felt like I was going to topple over the handlebars!

Can an older guy actually comfortably ride a race style bike like that?...

I see the "younger crowd" with the high tech road bikes, all decked out in a full kit, and they're out there hauling butt. That's cool... Have agreat time, dude... I'll catch up to you eventually...

My main question: Is there anything wrong with keeping things "old school"? …

Ooh…Ooh…ask me…ask me. I have posted a lot in defense of my high end Specialized S-works:

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I’m a decades-long cyclist, currently a year-round commuter and road cyclist, and pondered the utility of a CF bike for years.

For years, I rode a steel Bridgestone RB-1, costing about $650 down from about $800 as an end-of-year model when I bought it in the early 1980’s. I came to learn it was considered a classic. After the introduction of carbon fiber bikes, I always wondered if the premium prices of CF, which I considered to be about $2000 was worth the presumed enhanced riding experience.

The Bridgestone was totaled in 2012 in an accident from which I was not sure Iwould ride again. Well I did, and decided to get a CF. My trusted mechanic said here’s the bike you want, knowing my riding style. Well the MSRP was $8000, but he got it for me at half off.

Now, considering the attitude most non- or occasional cyclists towards bicycles and prices, I’m frankly somewhat embarrassed to admit to paying so much,sounding like some over-the-top conspicuous consumption. Personally, I can afford it, and it was an offer I could not refuse. Cycling is that important to me and I’m fortunate to be able to continue the lifestyle, so that puts it in perspective for me….

…My average speed stayed the same, but I think I was hampered by injuries from the accident, and I believe the new bike compensated at least to maintain my average speed. I did note that I was more inclined to sprint (successfully) to beat traffic lights before they turned red. I further craved the smoothness of the ride, including the shifting, making cycle-commuting more pleasurable. Of greatest benefit, while long (greater than 40 mile) rides took the same amount of time as before, I felt much less tired at the end.
As described by @Andy_K, the ride is "ethereal."
Over the past year, I have engaged in a few threads about the value of an expensive bike. My ultimate reply is:

Originally Posted by Jim fromBoston
I won’t rehash these threads, or my posts pro expensive bikes, but my last and most whimsical argument to own one is ,“At least I have no buyer's remorse about what I might be missing.”
A basic underlying premise is that after my accident, I realized I really have many fewer cycling years ahead of me, than all those glorious years behind. Just today I was thinking about how well I’m riding, mainly spurred on by the CF.

As an aside, I keep the CF pristine, and it never sees (intentionally) a wet, grimy road. I have a heavy duty mountain bike as my beater. Tomorrow, however, I’m going to pick up an aluminum Specialized Diverge, to become my new lighter beater for March to December, which I won’t fret over so much. The Mountain Bike will then be my beater for December to March, when studded tires are needed.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 08-06-16 at 08:50 AM.
Likes For Jim from Boston:
Old 08-06-16, 08:06 AM
ButchA

Bikes: 1985 Fuji Del Rey, 25" frame, 12 speed

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Wow... Great looking bikes! I love the "ZZ Top Eliminator" car in the photo too, @10 Wheels

I just curious I guess about all the modern high tech bikes and the, um, "well seasoned" crowd. It's great to see things like this and gives me some hope at age 55!

I will always hang onto my C&V '85 Fuji, and ride it until the wheels fall off. But maybe one of these days, add something newer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
85FujiSM.jpg (56.9 KB, 1195 views)
Old 08-06-16, 08:11 AM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
I see nothing wrong with riding "old school" if that's what suits you. OTOH, there's another thread something like 'Let's see what old guys ride' filled with bikes like the ones above. Not that that's a bad thing, but just saying yes lot's of old guys ride modern bikes. In my case the activity is more important than the tool. As long as the tool can be tuned and stay in tune for reasonable period of time, that's all I need. My current "old school" bikes fill that need. Maybe someday when the kids are fully grown, and my nest egg affords it and I'm in good health I'll take the plunge.
Likes For gear64:
Old 08-06-16, 08:41 AM
Caymandiver1

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
55 yo and ride Cervelo P2 TT and Cinelli Experience road bike. not new but not old either
Old 08-06-16, 08:59 AM
CrankyNeck

Bikes: Trek 2300

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Nothing wrong with old school. There aren't many, but I still occasionally see a younger rider on aluminum or steel kicking the crap out of someone else riding a $7000 carbon fiber bike. The rider is still, by far, the most important part of the equation. Don't feel bad riding old school, or dressing like it, either. Don't feel the need to spend $$$$$ just to "fit in". That said though, if you really feel like you want to go new and can afford it, go ahead. After all, we aren't all driving a 1979 Chrysler Cordoba, are we? A proper fit should help with the unstable feeling you had when test riding. You would get used to the twitchiness pretty quick I should think (cars all drive differently but we get used to them quickly). In the end, it's YOUR bike, not anyone else's.
Likes For CrankyNeck:
Old 08-06-16, 10:30 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 46 Posts
Tomorrow, however, I’m going to pick up an aluminum Specialized Diverge, to become my new lighter beater for March to December, which I won’t fret over so much. [/QUOTE]

Marc
Old 08-06-16, 10:55 AM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
I am 62 and have a carbon diverge. I am very comfortable riding it, though it does take extra care. I currently weigh as much as you but that weight is going down steadily.

Nothing wrong with old school. I myself just like high tech stuff in general.

Here is mine. I use it for commuting too.

Last edited by GeneO; 08-06-16 at 11:12 AM.
Old 08-06-16, 11:37 AM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
Here's a question that might have been asked before, or maybe not...

Since we are all over 50 in this forum, do any of you have a current, high tech, carbon frame, road bike? Or are some of you like me, and keep things simple, C&V, and a little "old school" style?

I'm not acting all funny towards the latest, greatest, Cannondale/Specialized/Cervelo/Trek/whatever flavor/etc... I mean, I have ridden a few in a LBS, and to be honest and with sort of a confession: They scared the $*#& out of me! Way too quick, too snappy and twitchy, and most importantly - I felt like I was going to topple over the handlebars!

Can an older guy actually comfortably ride a race style bike like that? I just know that at 55, 6'0" and 212 lbs, I would be a nervous wreck riding a $5000 CF road bike with all the bells and whistles. It might break in two under my weight! Maybe that was an idiotic statement, maybe not...

I see the "younger crowd" with the high tech road bikes, all decked out in a full kit, and they're out there hauling butt. That's cool... Have a great time, dude... I'll catch up to you eventually...

My main question: Is there anything wrong with keeping things "old school"? I don't see myself parting ways with my C&V '85 Fuji road bike. Granted, yes, it's 31 years old, quad butted steel tubing, downtube shifters, etc... but it is built solid and will just keep on keepin' on.
I'm not sure where the line between "current and high tech" and "not-so-current or high tech" lies, but a modern CF bike doesn't have to be twitchy or cost $5000.

I have a CF bike built around a used 2008 frame that I like a lot and that I have about $1700 in. This is not reverse snobbery; paying college tuition for two is currently keeping a lid on the bike budget. I can imagine splashing out for something flashy in different circumstances. The CF bike is the one that gets ridden the most.

I also have a thirty-year-old aesthetically challenged steel bike with a modern ten-speed gruppo that gets ridden around town and in iffy weather.

I also have a twenty-year-old steel bike with original components. It's the prettiest, but it gets ridden the least. The gear range offered by modern gruppos agrees much more with my spindly 50+ legs. Both the steel bikes began life as race bikes and have much more twitchy handling than the CF one.
Old 08-06-16, 12:22 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
I ride old steel bikes primarily because that's what I had when I abandoned cycling for a few decades. With my interest resurging about 5 years ago, I starting riding my old bikes, though I did some minor upgrades to some. Now, I find that 1) my old bikes are darn reliable, 2) depending on the bike, not too slow, and 3) don't have the worry about a limited service life like CF frames.
Old 08-06-16, 12:52 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18302 Post(s)
Liked 4,470 Times in 3,326 Posts
I straddle both worlds.

My Carbon Fiber Colnago has a distinctive vintage look.

And I still have the very vintage Colnago.

I must admit that I really like riding the new ride. It just feels right.

I don't wear the fancy jerseys, and don't always go fast, but there are those moments when I can make it move quickly.
Old 08-06-16, 01:59 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3179 Post(s)
Liked 2,006 Times in 1,149 Posts
My carbon is my go-fast bike, had it 9 years now and the position is dialed in. It's about the most comfortable bike I've ever owned. I do ride a steel Soma Smoothie as well and a Miyata City Liner steel full-blown tourer, I use both my steel bikes for commuting. I'm also about to switch to a Chinese carbon, once all the parts are in. I pay attention to geometry and have learned what works for me, so nothing I ride is twitchy.

EDIT: I'm 61 as BTW
Attached Images
Team Carbon.jpg (98.2 KB, 1143 views)

Last edited by Steve B.; 08-07-16 at 08:37 AM.
Old 08-06-16, 02:08 PM
trekmogul 

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease XX1, Trek Eqnuinox 9.9 SSL, Trek Madone 6.9 ,Trek District Carbon, Trek Boone7, Trek Fuel EX9.0,Trek Fuel 9.5, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9, Trek Equinox7, Trek District Belt

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 45 Posts
Almost 63 and have quite a few carbon high tech bikes and wheel sets..
Attached Images
IMG_0184.jpg (99.0 KB, 1136 views)
Old 08-06-16, 02:21 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 2,132 Times in 1,438 Posts
Originally Posted by GeneO
I am 62 and have a carbon diverge. I am very comfortable riding it, though it does take extra care. I currently weigh as much as you but that weight is going down steadily.]
Extra care because of rider weight? Or the ability of rider to handle the bike?
Old 08-06-16, 02:48 PM
DaveQ24

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yes, I have a great cf road bike, a 2014 with Di2. And a nice cf 2016 Sirrus Pro Carbon. And a smattering of other bikes. Because I love what they do for me and mean to me.

I see people on BF of all ages and abilities who advocate for both ends of the spectrum. Some common sense, some arrogance in each camp. Ultimately no one's business which you choose but your own.

Ride what you like, what feels right, and what you enjoy.

In the context of age ... Had a neighbor who was a retired female physician who jogged daily until about 95, then died suddenly. Liked to buy new running shoes pretty often, said it kept her motivated. She was truly an inspiration and a good model to follow.

IMHO it is irrelevant whether we in the older group can keep up with 20 somethings in ability, with or without high end or high tech gear - it's the ability to keep ahead of age-related disorders and decline that counts. There are people in their 60s confined to nursing home beds due to bad lifestyle choices. $500 or $5000 or $10000 - whatever it takes for you personally - is a bargain compared to $8000 plus a month to rot in a nursing home.
Likes For DaveQ24:
Old 08-06-16, 03:09 PM
VNA

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
ButchA:
Get real shorts or you are in a lot of hurts as seen on your photo!
Old 08-06-16, 03:13 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveQ24
.. - whatever it takes for you personally - is a bargain compared to $8000 plus a month to rot in a nursing home.
Amen!
Likes For bobwysiwyg:
Old 08-06-16, 03:26 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by VNA
ButchA:
Get real shorts or you are in a lot of hurts as seen on your photo!
Each person is different. One doesn't need all the flashy garb to ride a bike.

I'm heading out on a 100+ mile ride tomorrow...
yep, wearing JEANS
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 08-06-16, 03:31 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5216 Post(s)
Liked 3,555 Times in 2,325 Posts
I have aluminum w a carbon fork
Old 08-06-16, 03:39 PM
KZBrian

Bikes: Jamis Renegade, Kris Holm/Nimbus 29, Nimbus Eclipse

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
54, and I still ride old school. Most often ridden are the 86 Cannondale SR400 I bought new, '86 Schwinn Super Sport, and a '94 Trek 920.
Old 08-06-16, 04:24 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 2,132 Times in 1,438 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Each person is different. One doesn't need all the flashy garb to ride a bike.

I'm heading out on a 100+ mile ride tomorrow...
yep, wearing JEANS
And I had to use chamois cream because I wore an old worn out pair of bibs. I got chafing and a saddle sore. Hard riding in heat, humidity, and hills mean good shirts/bibs to most people.
Old 08-06-16, 04:33 PM
CliffordK

Now that I'm in the over 50 crowd, I've been wearing jeans for 50 years, on and off the bike. No doubt the first pair of pants as a toddler was a pair of jeans.

No need to change now.

I don't know why some have more chafing issues than others.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 08-06-16, 05:04 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Ages 83 and 81 . . . still riding our full carbon fiber tandem with 'only' 45,000+ miles on it.
Attached Images
Image60-1 (1).jpg (68.4 KB, 1105 views)
Compelete_Bike_crop_1.jpg (25.7 KB, 1104 views)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.