Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1953 Rudge

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-20, 01:49 PM
Intelsergeant

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
1953 Rudge

Hi guys I just found this beautiful 1953 rudge (based on rear hub date stamp) sitting in the middle of the woods in a secluded area by the beach. Looks like it was sitting out there for a few years. Looking to get some help in restoring it. The crank, chain and hub turn with no issues. Looks like it's missing the pump, some bulbs and lenses and needs new tires. Anyone have any information on this rudge and advise? Thanks in advance.

For some reason the site won't let me post pics until I have ten threads. I'm happy to email the pics or if someone can post them for me.
Likes For Intelsergeant:
Old 04-08-20, 02:20 PM
Intelsergeant

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks
Old 04-08-20, 02:22 PM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
I was about to offer my assistance for the photos but the story is a bit strange. Did you return to the spot multiple times to be sure no one has left the bicycle there temporarily, or did you just take it? Were you in public or private land? Sounds like this could easily be a case of theft, whatever your intentions.
Old 04-08-20, 02:24 PM
Kilroy1988 

If the bicycle was actually in the woods then after a few years, or even a few months, it would be covered in debris and probably have things growing on it. Was that the case?
Old 04-08-20, 02:25 PM
Intelsergeant

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Lol it was buried in years of brush on my buddies property.
Likes For Intelsergeant:
Old 04-08-20, 02:26 PM
Intelsergeant

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
When u see the pics you'll see what I mean.
Old 04-08-20, 02:31 PM
Kilroy1988 

Okay, that's fine then! Just wanted clarification first. Sounds like a good old ride.

Last edited by Kilroy1988; 04-08-20 at 02:44 PM.
Old 04-08-20, 02:31 PM
BigChief 

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by Intelsergeant
Hi guys I just found this beautiful 1953 rudge (based on rear hub date stamp) sitting in the middle of the woods in a secluded area by the beach. Looks like it was sitting out there for a few years. Looking to get some help in restoring it. The crank, chain and hub turn with no issues. Looks like it's missing the pump, some bulbs and lenses and needs new tires. Anyone have any information on this rudge and advise? Thanks in advance.

For some reason the site won't let me post pics until I have ten threads. I'm happy to email the pics or if someone can post them for me.
Rudge is my favorite of the Raleigh built roadsters. I've owned a few over the years. Here's my '51 full dress roadster. The next is a 1955 made from a rust bucket into a stripped down, repainted "scorcher" There wasn't much left of the original, so nothing was lost by customizing. You have come to the right place! Lots of English roadster lovers here.

Old 04-08-20, 02:34 PM
Intelsergeant

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Wow the one we got looks almost identical to the first pic u posted.
Old 04-08-20, 02:41 PM
Intelsergeant

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Kilroy I just emailed you pics
Old 04-08-20, 05:22 PM
Kilroy1988 

Here are the photos:

Likes For Kilroy1988:
Old 04-08-20, 05:25 PM
Intelsergeant

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Awesome Kilroy thanks for posting them for me. I guess my first thing is tires and tubes, the rim measures 22" in diameter any idea where I'd be able to get some original looking tires?
Old 04-08-20, 05:38 PM
BigChief 

Wow the one we got looks almost identical to the first pic u posted.
These are very nice bikes and well worth fixing up. To me, the 1950s were a high point for English roadsters and examples from this time are getting harder to find.
Old 04-09-20, 07:22 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Tire size on most English 3 speed bikes is 1 3/8 x 26. You can verify this by looking at the markings on the old tire side walls. The ISO size designation is 37-590. I have Kenda gumwalls on my Raleigh Sports and they look nice; however the sidewall color is a bit too yellow for my taste. I think Panaracer makes their Col de la Vie in that size. I have these tires on a 650b bike and like them very much. Kendas if you're cheap, Panaracers if you prize esthetics.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 04-10-20, 07:19 AM
Intelsergeant

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks I ordered the tires and tubes,we tore it down to the frame/forks leaving the crank in place yesterday. It's cleaning up good and the surface rust is all gone. The rims are definitely going to take some time.
Old 04-10-20, 09:22 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Thanks I ordered the tires and tubes,we tore it down to the frame/forks leaving the crank in place yesterday. It's cleaning up good and the surface rust is all gone. The rims are definitely going to take some time.
Sometimes I'm a total cheapskate - you can de-rust the rim brake tracks by just riding it.
Old 04-10-20, 09:25 AM
Intelsergeant

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
There pretty rough
Old 04-11-20, 07:09 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
I've had some success in cleaning up rims like these by soaking in an oxalic acid solution (1 teaspoon per gallon). There will still be some pitting but the improvement is remarkable. De-lacing the rim from the hub makes it a bit easier especially when polishing the rim. It's always prudent to replace the spokes on wheels this old anyway. I'd be tempted to replace the rims with aluminum ones. The SunRingle CR-18s with polished finish would look "right" on the bike and they are available in 40 hole.

If you do plan to disassemble the wheels AND you will be taking the rear hub apart for cleaning/inspection, do the hub first as it is much easier to take apart when mounted on a rim.

I'm looking forward to more posts as you move forward with your restoration
Old 04-11-20, 07:19 AM
Intelsergeant

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
I've had some success in cleaning up rims like these by soaking in an oxalic acid solution (1 teaspoon per gallon). There will still be some pitting but the improvement is remarkable. De-lacing the rim from the hub makes it a bit easier especially when polishing the rim. It's always prudent to replace the spokes on wheels this old anyway. I'd be tempted to replace the rims with aluminum ones. The SunRingle CR-18s with polished finish would look "right" on the bike and they are available in 40 hole.

If you do plan to disassemble the wheels AND you will be taking the rear hub apart for cleaning/inspection, do the hub first as it is much easier to take apart when mounted on a rim.

I'm looking forward to more posts as you move forward with your restoration
Thanks... We're getting there the hubs look great and cleaned up nicely it's the rims that are pretty rough.
Old 04-11-20, 07:21 AM
Intelsergeant

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Some better pics of the rudge

Likes For Intelsergeant:
Old 04-11-20, 07:23 AM
Intelsergeant

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Likes For Intelsergeant:
Old 04-11-20, 07:49 AM
IsleRide

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 49 Posts
Looks like the front rim is a replacement already. (flat profile) Nice project but if it's been out in the weather for a long time I would urge you to overhaul the bottom bracket and headset bearings.
Old 04-11-20, 03:42 PM
BigChief 

That's a good one. Lots of original features still intact. The original finish is plenty good enough to preserve and end up with classy patina. Down tube and seat tube and rear mudguard transfers are still there. You have the original 3 or 4 speed trigger shifter, cloth covered cable housings, original head set, bars, brake levers, that wonderful Hand Of Ulster crank with original dual quill pedals, mudguards and correct period Sturmey Archer head and tail lamps. I see that it has different rims. The front is Endrick while the rear is Raleigh pattern nicknamed Westrick. That was a design that could be used with either rod or caliper brakes. I think the rear is original and the front or whole front wheel was replaced at some point. This is a really nice project.
Old 04-11-20, 04:18 PM
Intelsergeant

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BigChief
That's a good one. Lots of original features still intact. The original finish is plenty good enough to preserve and end up with classy patina. Down tube and seat tube and rear mudguard transfers are still there. You have the original 3 or 4 speed trigger shifter, cloth covered cable housings, original head set, bars, brake levers, that wonderful Hand Of Ulster crank with original dual quill pedals, mudguards and correct period Sturmey Archer head and tail lamps. I see that it has different rims. The front is Endrick while the rear is Raleigh pattern nicknamed Westrick. That was a design that could be used with either rod or caliper brakes. I think the rear is original and the front or whole front wheel was replaced at some point. This is a really nice project.

These are pics of the front and rear hub both say sturmey Archer.

Likes For Intelsergeant:
Old 04-11-20, 04:57 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
The HAND! Sweet Rudge which is also one of my favorite makers. The only thing which would put this over the top is if it was a 23” frame.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.