Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Cycling is Destroying my Pants. Help!

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-20, 11:05 AM
DarKris

Bikes: Kona Kahuna DL Drop Bar - Sensah SRX Pro 1x11 (2012 Frame), Giant Toughroad GX 1 - Shimano Road Hydro + SLX 1x10 (2018), Diamondback Sync'r - SRAM NX 1x12 (2020)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts

Ever since I started cycling a few years back, my pants started to look like this:

I have many more pants that have been worn out like this, and I’m struggling to find if there is any solution that will allow me to continue riding with regular pants. I typically ride in casual/work pants during the week on breaks, but even if it’s for a few minutes it seems like I’m wearing out my pants still.

I have different saddles like Specialized Power and Brooks C17 where I’ve worn or ripped pants by the saddle. I didn’t know if I was putting more pressure on my saddle due to my weight causing my pants to wear. I could try a wider saddle (currently using ~155mm saddles). Otherwise I basically can’t ride my bike until the weekends...
Old 06-10-20, 11:50 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
I'm sure some posters who are actually helpful will come along soon, but in the meantime...
Old 06-10-20, 12:24 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
My pants tend to rip just like that too. Pants are basically bicycle disposables for me.

I bet a smooth leather B17 would be a little less hard on pants than a C17 (just a guess I haven't tried any of the "C" models).
Old 06-10-20, 12:29 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
bike shorts, if you are doing the mileage to do that, get bike shorts (added benefit is you don't catch your shorts on the saddle .....not that I have ever done that with loose shorts )

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 06-10-20, 02:28 PM
GMoser85

Bikes: Salsa Horsethief, Kona Ute Longtail

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Shorts defiantly help, hiking pants work great for riding, lightweight and stretchable. REI Sahara I use. Specialized has cycling pants, I'm sure others do too.
Old 06-10-20, 02:31 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
I wear jeans most of the time. Cycling shorts some of the time.

I don't think I've ever worn out the seat of a good pair of jeans. Knees, thighs, but not seats.
Old 06-10-20, 03:29 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 1,210 Posts
I wore out a couple pairs of cutoff blue jean shorts riding bikes, so it can be done.

I'll second or third the idea of bike shorts. It only takes a few minutes to change when you get where you're going. If you're too shy for the spandex crowd, get some mountain bike shorts instead.
Old 06-10-20, 05:03 PM
DarKris

Bikes: Kona Kahuna DL Drop Bar - Sensah SRX Pro 1x11 (2012 Frame), Giant Toughroad GX 1 - Shimano Road Hydro + SLX 1x10 (2018), Diamondback Sync'r - SRAM NX 1x12 (2020)

Unfortunately I don't really have the option to change on breaks. I'm also around a size 48-50 waist so that severely limits my pants choices. It sucks because riding for 10 mins on breaks helps me de-stress quite a bit. I even have a pair of pants that I ONLY wear for work that I never ride in for longer than 10 mins either on break or after work that ended up tearing and I would say that I rode my bike with those pants on only about a handful of times.

Old 06-10-20, 07:37 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Looks like you need to consider trying to find different pants materials if they're not lasting long. Those 1st 2 pics look more like a lack of material strength rather than then specifically wearing out. Also consider wearing mtb liner shorts or "shy shorts" if you don't already. They may allow your clothing freer movement and less wear
Old 06-11-20, 04:55 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Jersey is a knit fabric

I'm into polyester track suit warm up over-trousers these days , not woven cotton.
Old 06-13-20, 05:18 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Just got to say: I don’t wear Lycra because I look good in it. True bike shorts wear like iron. I’ve got shorts that are over 10 years old and have been ridden hard.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-13-20, 07:37 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
I did a search for commuter cycling pants and it came up with a few different brands. I haven't tried any of them but Chrome is one that I am familiar with.
Old 06-13-20, 07:47 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Buy better quality pants.
Old 06-13-20, 08:55 PM
DarKris

Originally Posted by alo
Buy better quality pants.
Can you give some examples? What material to look for? Any brands that make durable, casual big & tall pants? Suggestions?
Old 06-14-20, 03:00 AM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by DarKris
Can you give some examples? What material to look for? Any brands that make durable, casual big & tall pants? Suggestions?
I am Australian, so most brands are different to the US.

Check out different ones yourself.
Old 06-14-20, 05:54 AM
DarKris

Originally Posted by alo
I am Australian, so most brands are different to the US.

Check out different ones yourself.
Okay well I’m definitely annoyed with the condescending “advice”. The point of me posting in the Clyde sub-forum was to see if anyone else like me has had these issues. The fact is most, if not all cycling specific casual pants aren’t made in larger sizes. And since most other pants aren’t “designed” for cycling in mind, I wouldn’t even know what to look for on my own.

No I’m not trying to find casual pants primarily dedicated to cycling, but when I’m not in a position to change to cycling specific clothing, I don’t want to avoid getting on my bike because I’m worried about wearing out the pants that I’m currently wearing.
Old 06-14-20, 06:21 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
The solution: wear synthetic material, not cotton. Lightweight fleece pants can last years of daily cycling. Some cotton/synthetic blends can last somewhat longer than 100% cotton.

Here are some loose-fitting Champion cotton/synthetic blend pants. The Kohl's page I linked to is for 3XL pants---waist 48 to 50, according to Champion's sizing. Inexpensive and pretty durable for bike riding. The material is a bit thin, so I'd suggest wearing cycling undershorts with a bit of padding under them, but try them as is first.

But for the most durable pants, go 100% polyester. I searched the Champion website for "men's 100% polyester pants 3XL." Here's what came up. There are probably other brands that offer similar products. Champion just happens to be the brand I'm familiar with.

Last edited by Trakhak; 06-14-20 at 06:37 AM.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 06-14-20, 09:07 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Okay well I’m definitely annoyed with the condescending “advice”. The point of me posting in the Clyde sub-forum was to see if anyone else like me has had these issues. The fact is most, if not all cycling specific casual pants aren’t made in larger sizes. And since most other pants aren’t “designed” for cycling in mind, I wouldn’t even know what to look for on my own.
Don't go getting your knickers in a knot! People are (mostly) trying to help but you have to meet us part way. I don't think you'll find too many people with your same problem because most of us have moved past that point. If we wore "regular pants" to ride, it was probably in the distant past. In my case, that's 40 years in the past and no fabric available then is likely to be available now.

To be at least a little helpful, you might try Love2Pedal. They have many large sizes in nonLycra shorts. You might consider these guys. They seem to have nonpadded as well.

No I’m not trying to find casual pants primarily dedicated to cycling, but when I’m not in a position to change to cycling specific clothing, I don’t want to avoid getting on my bike because I’m worried about wearing out the pants that I’m currently wearing.
Then you probably want to consider pants with a high percentage of nylon. That's what gives bicycle shorts their durability. It's not the Lycra...it's only there for stretch...but the tough polyamide fibers that make them wear longer. Most people don't like the feel of nylon too much as it is rather slick and not really breathable. But if you want clothes that are going to last up to the constant rubbing against the saddle, you probably want nylon.

I would definitely stay away from cottons and cotton blends. They are just too soft. Perhaps look at what Carhartt has to offer. This convertible pant is largely synthetic, this one is 100% nylon, and this one, although mostly cotton, is durable because of the ripstop. You might want to look at convertible hiking pants at REI. They tend to be high nylon content and are quite durable.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 06-14-20, 09:21 AM
DarKris

Originally Posted by Trakhak
The solution: wear synthetic material, not cotton. Lightweight fleece pants can last years of daily cycling. Some cotton/synthetic blends can last somewhat longer than 100% cotton.

Here are some loose-fitting Champion cotton/synthetic blend pants. The Kohl's page I linked to is for 3XL pants---waist 48 to 50, according to Champion's sizing. Inexpensive and pretty durable for bike riding. The material is a bit thin, so I'd suggest wearing cycling undershorts with a bit of padding under them, but try them as is first.

But for the most durable pants, go 100% polyester. I searched the Champion website for "men's 100% polyester pants 3XL." Here's what came up. There are probably other brands that offer similar products. Champion just happens to be the brand I'm familiar with.
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Then you probably want to consider pants with a high percentage of nylon. That's what gives bicycle shorts their durability. It's not the Lycra...it's only there for stretch...but the tough polyamide fibers that make them wear longer. Most people don't like the feel of nylon too much as it is rather slick and not really breathable. But if you want clothes that are going to last up to the constant rubbing against the saddle, you probably want nylon.

I would definitely stay away from cottons and cotton blends. They are just too soft. Perhaps look at what Carhartt has to offer. This convertible pant is largely synthetic, this one is 100% nylon, and this one, although mostly cotton, is durable because of the ripstop. You might want to look at convertible hiking pants at REI. They tend to be high nylon content and are quite durable.
Thank you as this is more of what I was looking for. I was primarily annoyed with the response suggesting that I just “do ‘x’ and figure out the rest yourself” without pointing me in a good direction to even try and figure things out. With this I at least have a good baseline of what to look out for. Only thing now is hoping I find something in a size that fits me.
Old 06-14-20, 01:06 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
Good luck in your search. I was very happy when I finally found loose-fitting, durable pants.

One other suggestion: since synthetic pants tend to have a slicker finish than cotton and thus tend to ride down your butt while you're cycling, you might want to pick up some good-quality suspenders. I don't bother with suspenders for short neighborhood shopping rides, but anything more than a couple of miles and I use my pants with the suspenders.
Old 07-02-20, 07:30 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Nylon blend hiking shorts and pants, with padded liners under ( reduces stray pressure spots). Hiking pants have a wide size range
Old 07-06-20, 06:58 AM
DarKris

Thanks to everyone who gave suggestions on pants and materials to look for. I was able to get some pants that work very well and I was also able to find some casual pants that are made of stronger material (wool/polyester) that I’m more confident in them holding up better.