Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Most-annoying vehicles for bikers

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Most-annoying vehicles for bikers

Old 07-09-20, 06:28 AM
slorollin

Bikes: '81 Puch '13 Cafe Noir

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
The driver that rides slowly right behind me that thinks they are being courteous by not passing me.
Likes For slorollin:
Old 07-09-20, 04:00 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 482 Posts
Originally Posted by slorollin
The driver that rides slowly right behind me that thinks they are being courteous by not passing me.
That's actually required by law in California if they are unable to pass without a minimum 3-foot wide space between you and the car. I think it's a great law. Since about 95% of folks follow it, riding has become much safer. Now to deal with that other 5%.

On another subject, man, there sure is a lot of stereotyping in this thread...BMW drivers, Amazon Prime drivers, pickup drivers, soccer moms, etc. This is ridiculous! It's the individual drivers that are the problem. Both safe and unsafe drivers occupy all of those vehicle types. Oh, and while we're at it....Get Off My Lawn!
Old 07-10-20, 06:41 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by davester
On another subject, man, there sure is a lot of stereotyping in this thread...BMW drivers, Amazon Prime drivers, pickup drivers, soccer moms, etc. This is ridiculous! It's the individual drivers that are the problem. Both safe and unsafe drivers occupy all of those vehicle types. Oh, and while we're at it....Get Off My Lawn!
You are correct, people drive cars ... it's the people, not the vehicle. However, when your riding down the road and you see an oversized pick up with "rolling coal" stacks, you don't take note and use a little extra caution near the vehicle?

There are some vehicles we should all be watching out for, specifically oversize trucks, semis, school buses, etc. These large vehicles have large blind spots and need a lot room when turning.
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 07-10-20, 11:34 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Yes and no, Davester, in this cult(ure) of excess, entitlement, exceptionalism, and image, having these luxuries is pre-ceeded by (and comes with) attitudes that are unconducive to playing nice with others. Those who can hold their ego in check are nearly non-existent....
Old 07-14-20, 09:28 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 685 Times in 427 Posts
Around here, just about any vehicle. Seems like 95% are either texting or talking on their handheld cell phone-for some odd reason, the state has yet to ban handheld devices?! Was behind a car yesterday that was going slowly (on a 50mph road), and watched it drift completely into the other lane. Dropped way back after that-didn't want to be too close is he was in the wrong lane, and a car happened to be coming around a corner. Seeing a car drift into the oncoming lane isn't unusual-surprised haven't been more wrecks.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 07-21-20, 10:54 AM
woofy

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Other bikes that their rider doesn't let me know they are coming up behind and passing. That's annoying both when I'm cycling and walking.
This is not uncommon. I added a Oi bell recently for this reason. People do not know you are coming, and when your ros is significantly greater than theirs it can be unnerving and startling. In some cases people walking and on bikes spread out a little perhaps too much. Either way, nice to give them a subtle little 'ding.' They respond well to it, even appreciate it.

The cars I like the least are the ones that actually get kind of aggro and just cannot wait for the right time to pass, sit in my peripheral vision hesitating and swerving and being annoyed. I figure I am one blow out or squirrel from pearly gates with this group.

woof!
Old 07-21-20, 12:53 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Originally Posted by freeranger
....Seems like 95% are either texting or talking on their handheld cell phone-for some odd reason, the state has yet to ban handheld devices?!
Georgia banned useage.... Hasn't changed a dammed thing.... Totally unenforce(d)able!
Old 07-21-20, 06:15 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8147 Post(s)
Liked 8,800 Times in 4,368 Posts
Originally Posted by Digger Goreman
Georgia banned useage.... Hasn't changed a dammed thing.... Totally unenforce(d)able!
California has fines for using a hand held device while driving. Doesn't seem to stop anyone, it seems like at least half the drivers on the freeway are texting or talking.
Now when I see a car where the driver appears to be drunk, (going too slow and swerving side to side) they're texting.
Likes For big john:
Old 07-22-20, 12:47 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6063 Post(s)
Liked 4,694 Times in 3,238 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Now when I see a car where the driver appears to be drunk, (going too slow and swerving side to side) they're texting.
Sadly, all those mad mothers still only advocate for laws and enforcement of alcohol impaired drivers. I think they should advocate enforcement and laws against impaired and distracted drivers regardless of the reason.

Last edited by Iride01; 07-22-20 at 12:51 PM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 07-22-20, 01:10 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
I've never noticed any correlation between vehicle type and driving behavior. Most all drivers are fine to be around.

The larger the vehicle the better the draft!

That said the most annoying are those motorized bicycles, especially the gas powered ones.
Old 07-22-20, 05:15 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I've had more close calls with idiot bicyclists who ride as if they're the only one on the road, than I have had with motor vehicles. The latest road vehicle hazard where I am are those Ebikes. Their riders think they're on a speeway and ride far too fast for the trails they're riding on. I think in future were going to see a loud outcry from people wanting Ebikes licensed because Ebike riders are often so inconsiderate.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 08-04-20, 07:44 PM
clayton c

Bikes: touring bikes

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Most annoying vehicle to me are these old farm trucks hauling manure from the dairies. Oh that ripe smell ! Luckily, the season is probably about two weeks here.
Old 08-04-20, 09:17 PM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1616 Post(s)
Liked 3,072 Times in 1,664 Posts
for a riding buddy and myself, it's pewter-colored priuses (priusii?) lately. with a bullet.
Old 08-05-20, 10:06 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Originally Posted by clayton c
Most annoying vehicle to me are these old farm trucks hauling manure from the dairies. Oh that ripe smell ! Luckily, the season is probably about two weeks here.
You just reminded me of my old commuting route and hating those Thursday mornings when I'd get stuck behind the garbage truck picking up along my route ... the sweet smell of dumpster juice to start your morning.
Old 08-05-20, 11:04 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Any one with dark tinted driver door window.

And of course anyone that also has a trailer.
Old 08-05-20, 11:17 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

At least, if we ever get reliable robot cars, the broken part of the ICE ("driver") will be replaced with a logical program... hopefully written by a cyclist!
Old 08-05-20, 11:26 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
It's not the vehicle, its the driver.
There it is!!
And 40 ft. 18 wheelers. They scare the crap out of me.
Frank.
Old 08-06-20, 12:59 AM
Batstar

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 79 Posts
Just when you think you've seen it all......

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...-921520b87fd8/
Old 08-06-20, 04:40 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 2,192 Times in 1,234 Posts
I ride in the east part of Ventura County and for the most part see very little annoyances. When I get to the west for part of my ride I am in city riding and I think the worst drivers are buses. I have been brushed more times than I care to count and finally decided to contact the Ventura City Manager. I got a call from the guy who is the operation manager or something I couldn't quite understand his exact title. He said they were going to have a safety meeting about cyclists and giving a minimum three foot clearance . The buses around here are very wide and they HATE to have to change lanes to go around a cyclist even when there are signs stating that cyclists may take entire lane. I look for streets that have the widest bike lanes even if it means going a bit out of my way. Once I get back towards my house in the eastern portion of the county , it is much better. I only go west to get to my shop in Ventura.
Old 08-06-20, 10:07 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by Batstar
Just when you think you've seen it all......

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...-921520b87fd8/
That's totally terrifying!

I grew up with horses and this story reminds me of a friend riding horseback along a road and her horse was hit from behind by a passing cement truck that failed to secure the scute. I HATE people that fail to secure loads before driving
Old 08-09-20, 02:35 PM
BEC111

Bikes: Specialized Turbo Vado SL

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
I've had more close calls with idiot bicyclists who ride as if they're the only one on the road, than I have had with motor vehicles. The latest road vehicle hazard where I am are those Ebikes. Their riders think they're on a speeway and ride far too fast for the trails they're riding on. I think in future were going to see a loud outcry from people wanting Ebikes licensed because Ebike riders are often so inconsiderate.

Cheers
I’m one of those ebike riders and yes, I can go faster than many analog riders, but there are many more speedy road bike riders passing me when I’m at 18 mph on my local MUP. They’re going close to 30.

So the real issues are cyclists going too fast for the conditions on a MUP or anywhere. And cyclists who don’t announce their passing. And walker/runners with headphones who ignore the bells and “on-your-lefts” and when on the street any driver who can’t cope with bikes.

In other words, a*holes. For whom there is no known cure.
Likes For BEC111:
Old 08-09-20, 02:43 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
BEC111. The problem I see with many E-bike riders is that they do NOT have the handling skills they should have to be riding at such high speeds. Around here there are far more unskilled E-bike riders than there are skilled ones. That's not counting how many of them have no idea as to what the rules o the road are or what the Highway Traffic Act says.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 08-10-20, 12:43 PM
Leyburn

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The distrust of German cars appears to be global! Also large agricultural vehicles, who assume that might is right. I invariably give way whilst wishing for Apache support.
Old 08-11-20, 10:37 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
The closest I've been buzzed, and on multiple occasions, has been school buses.
Old 08-12-20, 10:54 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4369 Post(s)
Liked 4,484 Times in 3,001 Posts
The driver coming the opposite way with their eyes fixated on you not realizing it’s causing them to drift towards you. The driver that pulls over way too far throwing dust and rocks everywhere. No reason to get angry about it they are trying to be cool.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.