Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Most-annoying vehicles for bikers

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Most-annoying vehicles for bikers

Old 08-12-20, 11:33 AM
motorthings

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
a bit unlrelated...

i saw a cool feature on a new pickup truck recently...i pulled up in front of a dually with huge side view mirrors at a light, and stayed far to the right in the bike lane as i knew they would pass me, and didn't want to get smacked.
what I saw instead was that after they passed me, the mirror (which had been folded back on approach), unfolded back to its open position after the truck passed me.
i'd guess this feature is more out of interest to protect the mirror than cyclists, but i'll take it.
Likes For motorthings:
Old 08-12-20, 01:29 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by motorthings
the mirror (which had been folded back on approach), unfolded back to its open position after the truck passed me.
Some are very proud of that feature. I suspect this is one of those annoying (drivers) to avoid

Old 08-12-20, 07:20 PM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
Any one with dark tinted driver door window.
And the best is when you know they're sitting there waving you on at a stop sign... I'll sometime put my hands on my eyes like I'm blind.
Old 08-12-20, 07:22 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by gear64
And the best is when you know they're sitting there waving you on at a stop sign... I'll sometime put my hands on my eyes like I'm blind.
I'm talking about so dark that you can't see the driver.

And then they get annoyed that you slowed to make sure they're not going to move. But they're already 5' past the stop line.
Old 08-16-20, 10:29 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Careless, sadistic, or just bad drivers are more of a concern than any specific type of vehicle. I do find that professional drivers are generally safer to be around than average yayhoos. Was riding with some friends in the mountains after storms had brought down dirt and debris and dozens of dump trucks were working all day and these drivers were so cool and careful and even waved us around them on descents when they had to go slow. Of course we were buzzed by an idiot in a small car the same day.
I can see when a driver is careless, inattentive, or unskilled. How can you tell they are sadistic, assuming you survived the encounter?
Old 08-16-20, 10:42 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Originally Posted by BEC111
I’m one of those ebike riders and yes, I can go faster than many analog riders, but there are many more speedy road bike riders passing me when I’m at 18 mph on my local MUP. They’re going close to 30.

So the real issues are cyclists going too fast for the conditions on a MUP or anywhere. And cyclists who don’t announce their passing. And walker/runners with headphones who ignore the bells and “on-your-lefts” and when on the street any driver who can’t cope with bikes.

In other words, a*holes. For whom there is no known cure.
Ebikes are digital, because conventional bikes are analog? If I have a cyclocomputer on my "analog" bike, does it become "digital?"

I have trouble understanding 18 or 20 mph being ok on an MUP, actually! I assume "cyclists going too fast includes a dollop of concert for eBikes going too fast, or not having the skills to handle emergencies on those machines. Do their brakes have to meet a safety standard? Think of the families, seniors, children, and dogs on leashes. My city as of late does not agree. Our proposed Vision Zero plan calls for 20 mph max on streets where children are playing or will be crossing, but that is based on injuries from car to pedestrian collisions, I don't know about eBike to pedestrian collisions - eBikes, like regular bikes, don't have any smooth surfaces - it's all rigid objects that would strike a pedestrian.
Old 08-16-20, 11:42 AM
BEC111

Bikes: Specialized Turbo Vado SL

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
Ebikes are digital, because conventional bikes are analog? If I have a cyclocomputer on my "analog" bike, does it become "digital?"

I have trouble understanding 18 or 20 mph being ok on an MUP, actually! I assume "cyclists going too fast includes a dollop of concert for eBikes going too fast, or not having the skills to handle emergencies on those machines. Do their brakes have to meet a safety standard? Think of the families, seniors, children, and dogs on leashes. My city as of late does not agree. Our proposed Vision Zero plan calls for 20 mph max on streets where children are playing or will be crossing, but that is based on injuries from car to pedestrian collisions, I don't know about eBike to pedestrian collisions - eBikes, like regular bikes, don't have any smooth surfaces - it's all rigid objects that would strike a pedestrian.
Analog is a term of art I picked up elsewhere that balances well with ebike. Otherwise, I agree it’s not a good fit.

Other than on weekends, most of the cyclists on my local MUP are riding at about 12-15 MPH. Some are slower, say 8-12. Some are very slow, barely faster than a walker. Some, including most of the cycling groups around here, average 15-18. In addition, especially early in the day, there are the folks I’ll call the racers. They pass me with a woosh. Probably going 25 to 300 or even faster. (I’ve seen riders keeping up with cars where the speed limit is 35.) Then there are the skaters and skate boarders who are usually slow, but more importantly for this discussion have poor direction control. There are walkers, runners, horseback riders, and so forth.

I try to be a good citizen, ringing my bell and “on my left-ing”. My average speed is 12-16 mph. I’ll go much faster on an open down hill stretch. It’s fun and without other riders not a big safety issue. My biggest challenge is passing. I can accelerate very quickly, even up hill. I consider it safe to pass quickly than to hover on someone’s shoulder. I drive my car that way too. I hate passing someone going 50 with a 55 speed limit and sticking to 50. I think it’s safe to go 60 or even 65 to get by. I do the same on the MUP where I think it’s even more important since so many on the trail wobble or are otherwise unpredictable.

Cyclists are like everyone else. Some people are about the welfare of others wear face masks, others do not. Some people drive pickups spewing carbon filled smoke, others drive hybrids. It’s not electric versus traditional bicycles or ebike vs analog. It’s different sorts of idiots. (Per Dilbert, we’re all idiots.)
Old 08-16-20, 11:49 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8147 Post(s)
Liked 8,800 Times in 4,368 Posts
I can see when a driver is careless, inattentive, or unskilled. How can you tell they are sadistic, assuming you survived the encounter?
Sadistic? You know, the ones who buzz you with a "punishment pass", or the ones who throw bottles or cans, or the ones who, coming the other direction, pretend like they are going to hit you head on and pull away at the last second and scream or spit (this happened to me and friends a lot in the south). Or even the passengers who squirt cyclists with squirt guns with unknown liquid or shoot cyclists with BB guns ( saw one get caught doing that). There was a group in LA shooting cyclists with a paintball gun and video taping it. They got caught.

A relatively new form of vehicular sadism is the so called "rolling coal" where the sadistic bastard modifies his diesel truck, I think by installing a manual boost control, so that he can pour huge amounts of black smoke on cyclists or pedestrians. A kid did this to us once and my friend chased after the truck when he got stopped by traffic. The stupid driver freaked and in his haste to escape he made a right turn and almost hit some pedestrians.
Old 08-17-20, 05:32 AM
Road Fan

Originally Posted by big john
Sadistic? You know, the ones who buzz you with a "punishment pass", or the ones who throw bottles or cans, or the ones who, coming the other direction, pretend like they are going to hit you head on and pull away at the last second and scream or spit (this happened to me and friends a lot in the south). Or even the passengers who squirt cyclists with squirt guns with unknown liquid or shoot cyclists with BB guns ( saw one get caught doing that). There was a group in LA shooting cyclists with a paintball gun and video taping it. They got caught.

A relatively new form of vehicular sadism is the so called "rolling coal" where the sadistic bastard modifies his diesel truck, I think by installing a manual boost control, so that he can pour huge amounts of black smoke on cyclists or pedestrians. A kid did this to us once and my friend chased after the truck when he got stopped by traffic. The stupid driver freaked and in his haste to escape he made a right turn and almost hit some pedestrians.
I would have said "violent."

A very veteran cycle racer on another forum once talked about dealing with violent or abusive drivers back in his day, 1940s. He talked about carrying a 6" adjustable crescent wrench tied to a string or thong and whipping it at the bodywork, side window or windshield of the offender's car. Now in his '80s, he's still running his bike shop.
Old 08-17-20, 08:48 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8147 Post(s)
Liked 8,800 Times in 4,368 Posts
I would have said "violent."

A very veteran cycle racer on another forum once talked about dealing with violent or abusive drivers back in his day, 1940s. He talked about carrying a 6" adjustable crescent wrench tied to a string or thong and whipping it at the bodywork, side window or windshield of the offender's car. Now in his '80s, he's still running his bike shop.
Could have also said "cowards".
Old 08-18-20, 11:38 AM
Leyburn

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
With my cycling mileage much increased over the last few months, I can see why most UK cyclists travel in groups.
Old 08-18-20, 06:54 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
'Silverheads' pulling a trailer. Period. They think they're past you, but the damn trailer is a foot wider than the tow vehicle...
Old 08-18-20, 08:40 PM
Road Fan

Analog is a term of art I picked up elsewhere that balances well with ebike. Otherwise, I agree it’s not a good fit.

Other than on weekends, most of the cyclists on my local MUP are riding at about 12-15 MPH. Some are slower, say 8-12. Some are very slow, barely faster than a walker. Some, including most of the cycling groups around here, average 15-18. In addition, especially early in the day, there are the folks I’ll call the racers. They pass me with a woosh. Probably going 25 to 300 or even faster. (I’ve seen riders keeping up with cars where the speed limit is 35.) Then there are the skaters and skate boarders who are usually slow, but more importantly for this discussion have poor direction control. There are walkers, runners, horseback riders, and so forth.

I try to be a good citizen, ringing my bell and “on my left-ing”. My average speed is 12-16 mph. I’ll go much faster on an open down hill stretch. It’s fun and without other riders not a big safety issue. My biggest challenge is passing. I can accelerate very quickly, even up hill. I consider it safe to pass quickly than to hover on someone’s shoulder. I drive my car that way too. I hate passing someone going 50 with a 55 speed limit and sticking to 50. I think it’s safe to go 60 or even 65 to get by. I do the same on the MUP where I think it’s even more important since so many on the trail wobble or are otherwise unpredictable.

Cyclists are like everyone else. Some people are about the welfare of others wear face masks, others do not. Some people drive pickups spewing carbon filled smoke, others drive hybrids. It’s not electric versus traditional bicycles or ebike vs analog. It’s different sorts of idiots. (Per Dilbert, we’re all idiots.)
In another field, “analog” actually means something.
Old 08-18-20, 10:13 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
As long as they don't have digital saddles...
Old 08-19-20, 08:53 AM
BEC111

In another field, “analog” actually means something.
Yes it does. In the field in which I worked before I retired it was the opposite of digital.

I suppose the usage may be a result of the emergence of “smart bike” features on the latest e-bikes. For example, the ability to program levels of assist and automate assist to support battery life control for distance, ride duration or heart beat range. As e-bikes become more like computers on two wheels these smart features will become ever more prevalent.

Bikes that lack these capabilities, therefore are analog. As I was writing this I realize that cycling computers are giving non-e-bike riders similar options that parallel e-bike’s, just manually performed. Not sure whether that makes traditional bikes more digital or since computer suggestions are manually performed more analog.

Darn English imprecision.
Old 08-19-20, 09:45 PM
Road Fan

Yes it does. In the field in which I worked before I retired it was the opposite of digital.

I suppose the usage may be a result of the emergence of “smart bike” features on the latest e-bikes. For example, the ability to program levels of assist and automate assist to support battery life control for distance, ride duration or heart beat range. As e-bikes become more like computers on two wheels these smart features will become ever more prevalent.

Bikes that lack these capabilities, therefore are analog. As I was writing this I realize that cycling computers are giving non-e-bike riders similar options that parallel e-bike’s, just manually performed. Not sure whether that makes traditional bikes more digital or since computer suggestions are manually performed more analog.

Darn English imprecision.
That's my former field (or one of them) as well. I don't see it as English imprecision just the "analog" (lol!) imprecision of people.
Old 08-19-20, 09:50 PM
AdamWilson
Cycling Enthusiast

Bikes: Trek, Cannondale, Giant

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
  1. Lifted Pickups
  2. Older American sedan with a stereo system worth 10x the car
  3. Vehicles operated by drivers under the influence
  4. logging trucks
I am really obsessed with these ****ty vehicles and their drivers
Likes For AdamWilson:
Old 08-20-20, 02:01 PM
BEC111

That's my former field (or one of them) as well. I don't see it as English imprecision just the "analog" (lol!) imprecision of people.
love it!
Old 08-20-20, 03:37 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by AdamWilson

logging trucks

I am really obsessed with these ****ty vehicles and their drivers
Logging trucks in Chitcago?
Old 08-24-20, 09:48 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by nbseer
1/ Pickup trucks with huge side-view mirrors (that could clip you)
2/ BMWs (aggresive fast drivers that blast past you)
3/ Mercedes (ditto)
4/ Landscaping trucks pulling trailers loaded with equipment (you think you're safe when the truck passes, but don't forget that trailer)
5/ Parked running vehicles on right shoulder (getting doored... )
I'm gonna add the a$$hat in the white BMW on Friday that pulled out in front of me, I was rolling at traffic speed and needed to brake for him (& no cars behind me). I was right on his bumper and waved* for him to see in his mirror. So this example of hate-behind-the-wheel brake checks me ... I was already prepared to pass on the left since it was clear that he'd take the next right. As I got next to the driver's window, I said "You're the best!" with a big smile and laughing. That earned me number one in his book. I blew a kiss in farewell to this perfect example of road rage.

I'm so disappointed to find that my GoPro wasn't running - I'd be sharing it with local PD and YouTube - I'm sure PD won't really care, but it seems like a good idea to document drivers with road rage issues.

* it was a honest wave, with all five fingers
Old 08-24-20, 03:54 PM
KenCT

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105 (2021) Cannondale Cujo 2 (2018) Cannondale Quick Carbon 1 (2017) Giant Sedona (2006) Cannondale R1000 (2001)

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 104 Posts
All of the above and a new one for me yesterday. Person on a bike pulled out of a driveway on the wrong side of the road and was texting. This is a posted 25 MPH road where most traffic is doing 35 to 40, I was going about 18-20 MPH. If I swerved to the left I would have been hit by the car, stayed too far right and into the wrong way bike. Her (?) head was down looking at the phone until I yelled "hey watch out". Fortunately the car driver was paying more attention then the rider on the other bike and gave me some room. This is one reason why I video my rides.

Last edited by KenCT; 08-24-20 at 06:23 PM.
Old 08-25-20, 07:00 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by KenCT
All of the above and a new one for me yesterday. Person on a bike pulled out of a driveway on the wrong side of the road and was texting. This is a posted 25 MPH road where most traffic is doing 35 to 40, I was going about 18-20 MPH. If I swerved to the left I would have been hit by the car, stayed too far right and into the wrong way bike. Her (?) head was down looking at the phone until I yelled "hey watch out". Fortunately the car driver was paying more attention then the rider on the other bike and gave me some room. This is one reason why I video my rides.
Wrong way riders are so frustrating. In my area, it's oddly a specific city that has all the wrong way riders, surrounding towns do not have the issue. I blame it on a few things: that city is mostly aging community, there is no city lead bike education efforts, and car-only infrastructure some how adds to the equation. Lastly, the pandemic has people using a bike for the first time in years.
Old 08-25-20, 07:49 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
I'm gonna add the a$$hat in the white BMW on Friday....
Mine was the "Bad Witch" in the White BMW yesterday.... Despite my taking the lane, pos squeezed down the yellow line, against oncoming traffic, to advance 50 FEET, to WAIT IN LINE, all the while TEXTING
Since this "virtuous example" professed to trusting in mythology, I easily rolled up even and, in my most booming drill sergeant voice, bellowed out, "IF YOU BELIEVE IN GOD, WHY DO YOU DRIVE LIKE SATAN? !!!Having gotten her addled-prima-donna attention, I pointed to my helmet and gave an exagerated thumbs down... cause, brah, you got a bad brain. Rolled on my way....
Old 09-05-20, 11:51 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 238 Posts
I stay the hell away from damn 6 wheel Duallies. Next worst is clods pulling trailers, that cut into the shoulder on curves.
Old 09-09-20, 04:34 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by nbseer
1/ Pickup trucks with huge side-view mirrors (that could clip you)
2/ BMWs (aggresive fast drivers that blast past you)
3/ Mercedes (ditto)
4/ Landscaping trucks pulling trailers loaded with equipment (you think you're safe when the truck passes, but don't forget that trailer)
5/ Parked running vehicles on right shoulder (getting doored... )
1 and 4 are - far and away - the biggest problem. I now ride with a camera and contact the police with video evidence. The cops call the drivers up and educate them in lieu of giving them a ticket.

With commercial drivers, I have noticed an immediate improvement in all commercial vehicles of a given company by the using the following action:
1. I call up the company and ask to speak to the senior management in charge of safety. I usually say that I wanted to talk to them before I turned video of one of their drivers over to the sheriff. I do this in a conversational tone and in a non-threatening way.
2. This usually gets the manager on the phone immediately. We talk, I explain the statute in question and how the driver violated that and give them a link to the video that I have posted in the internet.
3. This is almost always followed up with an immediate apology and a promise for this to be discussed at their periodic safety meetings or with the driver in question.

For example, I had this discussion after a school bus almost clipped me as he was trying to slide past me without passing properly. Immediately, I noticed school bus behavior changing.

I also had this discussion with a watch sgt for the local sheriff when two deputies pulled up behind me and honked. I brought this to the sgt’s attention, provided video etc... I told him I didn’t want to write any letter that wound up in someone’s file and were career damaging. He came up with the inventive solution to have the two deputies in question prepare a presentation on bicycle vehicle rules and present it at one of their training meetings. He assured me that the the reason that they were going to be presenting would be made known to all the other deputies so that (a) there would be significant teasing from the other deputies and (b) for the other deputies to see that this could happen to them to behave properly and address motorist behavior that was inappropriate towards cyclists. I liked that plan a lot and have since found the whole department to be much more amenable to addressing inappropriate motorist behavior towards cyclIsts.

Bottom line - you can have an impact on behavior. You just have to be smart about it.
Likes For JohnJ80:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.