Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Most-annoying vehicles for bikers

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Most-annoying vehicles for bikers

Old 09-16-20, 08:31 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 4,738 Times in 1,719 Posts
Originally Posted by nbseer
1/ Pickup trucks with huge side-view mirrors (that could clip you)
2/ BMWs (aggresive fast drivers that blast past you)
3/ Mercedes (ditto)
4/ Landscaping trucks pulling trailers loaded with equipment (you think you're safe when the truck passes, but don't forget that trailer)
5/ Parked running vehicles on right shoulder (getting doored... )
Well crap..... I never knew....

The mirrors fold in but they don't retract, sorry!

So fun to drive, didn't know it made me aggressive.

Old 09-17-20, 06:56 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
Older-style flat-nosed buses and big-rig trucks.

One of the most "annoying" (scary) vehicles for me: when an older-style city bus or big-rig truck with a tall and flat nose comes up from behind and doesn't allow for much passing room as it passes. In my experience, there's a huge wall of air shoving its way to the left and right of such vehicles. If speeds are north of 40mph and the passing gap isn't all that great, I've found myself shoved over to the side a good couple of feet from the blast of air that hits me as the vehicle passes.
Old 09-21-20, 02:13 PM
shmily_dana

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Back when I lived in Southern California, I would have said inline skaters. I don't know if that is still a big thing. Now I would say the people using super bright strobe lights on the bicycle paths.
Old 09-21-20, 06:27 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 594 Times in 313 Posts
A dripping garbage truck on a 95deg day.
Old 09-21-20, 08:34 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by shmily_dana
Now I would say the people using super bright strobe lights on the bicycle paths.
.... which wouldn’t have become a think if people didn’t wander all over the path and ride two abreast on a narrow bike path - never mind the collisions. And it’s just getting worse with the explosion of novice e-bikers with zero bike handling skills.
Old 09-22-20, 01:50 AM
mjb1970a

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nbseer
1/ Pickup trucks with huge side-view mirrors (that could clip you)
2/ BMWs (aggresive fast drivers that blast past you)
3/ Mercedes (ditto)
4/ Landscaping trucks pulling trailers loaded with equipment (you think you're safe when the truck passes, but don't forget that trailer)
5/ Parked running vehicles on right shoulder (getting doored... )
I'd add old model Audi estate drivers.
Old 09-22-20, 11:18 AM
shmily_dana

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
.... which wouldn’t have become a think if people didn’t wander all over the path and ride two abreast on a narrow bike path - never mind the collisions. And it’s just getting worse with the explosion of novice e-bikers with zero bike handling skills.
Most of the time, they are the people with the bright strobes. They're just going to ride side-by-side and talk and not pay attention to who is up the path. They want us to look out for them, because they are not looking for anyone else.
Old 09-22-20, 03:58 PM
vane171

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Clyde1820
...big-rig trucks.
When I noticed this thread, that's came to my mind. And it is especially bad in a crosswind blowing either way. Luckily I don't have those high profile rims which would make it even worse.

Also don't like those over polite car drivers or distrusting pedestrians who wait till you make a hard stop... Don't like that either driving a car myself or being on a bike.

The same with drivers who don't follow the rules of right of way by being polite... Not only it creates dangerous situations ripe for accidents to happen but often it also involves breaking traffic rules in the process or at minimum, creating unexpected non-standard situations for other drivers, be they on bikes on in cars.

Last edited by vane171; 09-28-20 at 05:21 PM.
Old 09-22-20, 08:12 PM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by shmily_dana
Most of the time, they are the people with the bright strobes. They're just going to ride side-by-side and talk and not pay attention to who is up the path. They want us to look out for them, because they are not looking for anyone else.
Where I live and ride, I’ve noticed a distinct improvement in rider and pedestrian behavior with a flashing day light. That means more safety for both me and the other guy. Tough luck if it’s irritating - so is stupid out of lane behavior and not paying attention. Just look the other way if it bothers you.

And the rest of your post claiming everyone who uses a light does it to claim unfair use of the path is just pure bullsh$t.

J.

Last edited by JohnJ80; 09-23-20 at 11:25 AM.
Old 09-22-20, 08:27 PM
royphotog

Bikes: 1979 Centurion Omega, 95(?) Rocky Mountain Sherpa

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Other bikes that their rider doesn't let me know they are coming up behind and passing. That's annoying both when I'm cycling and walking.

If it has to be a motor vehicle, then the ones that stop for me at crossings. They have the right of way until I actually am in the crossing. I'd rather they just go on. Especially when they are the only vehicle near by on a four lane road. Some drivers actually get mad at me for refusing their generosity. Some are so insistent about waiting for my cross that I have to point out to them that I have a stop sign and they only have a yield sign.

The only time I'll cross for a stopped vehicle is if it is a one-lane road and the traffic in front of them is stopped.
I thought I was the only one who gets anoyed at drivers who stop for me, even when they have the right of way. I wave them across, I want to yell, go, go, you have the right of way you idiot. I don't need you to stop for me. iratates the hell out of me.
Old 09-22-20, 08:31 PM
big john

Quoted: 8147 Post(s)
Liked 8,800 Times in 4,368 Posts
Originally Posted by royphotog
I thought I was the only one who gets anoyed at drivers who stop for me, even when they have the right of way. I wave them across, I want to yell, go, go, you have the right of way you idiot. I don't need you to stop for me. iratates the hell out of me.
They're trying to be nice. The only time it bothers me is when I can't see them through their tinted windows. I'm ready for them to wave me through and it's a lot nicer than a lot of things drivers do. I always thank them.
Old 09-22-20, 08:44 PM
royphotog

Originally Posted by big john
They're trying to be nice. The only time it bothers me is when I can't see them through their tinted windows. I'm ready for them to wave me through and it's a lot nicer than a lot of things drivers do. I always thank them.
Yeah, I understand that they are trying to be nice, and your right, the one with dark windows that I can't see the driver anoy me also, I had a guy this past week roll his window down so I could see him. Just bugs me, but it also bugs me when a driver stops to let me walk across tstreet. I want to say, "hay, I can find my own way across this street buddy" I think I need to live in New York city, with it's get out of my way attitude. Wouldn't get people stoping for me there.
Likes For royphotog:
Old 09-22-20, 09:47 PM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by big john
It’s actually quite dangerous to cross in front of them. This is a situation where you have a right of way vehicle stopped in a place that drivers behind are not expecting to see a stopped vehicle. Meanwhile, you’re crossing in front of this guy (admittedly, trying to be nice) who gets rear ended and the whole thing gets pushed on top of you.

The other thing that can happen and there have been fatalities in my county of this exact thing. A guy stops, a pedestrian crossed in front and a following vehicle passed on the shoulder, hit the pedestrian (or could be cyclist) and killed them.

There are reasons we have right of way rules.

No way will I cross in front of a guy like that. No way.
Old 09-22-20, 10:05 PM
big john

Quoted: 8147 Post(s)
Liked 8,800 Times in 4,368 Posts

Each situation can be different and you have to use your judgement. Today I rode 50 miles with some friends and we were waved through several intersections by drivers. One time we weren't sure and we all unclipped and waved the car through. All of the other times felt safe. You can't trust the law every time.

My younger brother was hit in a crosswalk the same way as you described. 16 year old girl was driving and she fled and went home. Cops were given her license plate and they spoke to her but didn't even give her a ticket. He had some bad injuries.

Last edited by big john; 09-22-20 at 10:09 PM.
Old 09-22-20, 10:37 PM
royphotog

It’s actually quite dangerous to cross in front of them. This is a situation where you have a right of way vehicle stopped in a place that drivers behind are not expecting to see a stopped vehicle. Meanwhile, you’re crossing in front of this guy (admittedly, trying to be nice) who gets rear ended and the whole thing gets pushed on top of you.

The other thing that can happen and there have been fatalities in my county of this exact thing. A guy stops, a pedestrian crossed in front and a following vehicle passed on the shoulder, hit the pedestrian (or could be cyclist) and killed them.

I can see that. We have a one-way street with two lanes of traffic right in from of my office. Many times I have had a car in the closest land stop, and if it's a big car I can't see the other lane and they can't see me. I wave them on and they wave me on, so sometimes I just turn around and walk away so they will go on.
Old 09-24-20, 06:56 PM
xrazer

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Pro

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
In inland San Diego I find generally that big trucks, buses, especially school buses (that we don't have going now) don't bother moving at all for a bike. In Cali there is a law now that vehicles should leave at least 3 feet between us. A recent close pass by a highway patrol car made it clear to me that if cops don't get the 3 feet rule why would anyone else.
Old 09-24-20, 10:35 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked 704 Times in 370 Posts
Here in Japan things are different from other places. The worst annoying vehicles are:

Other cyclists. In Japan cyclists ride on streets and sidewalks, can ride either way on a one-way street. Cyclists here are generally commuters, housewives, old people, and students. They tend to ride unpredictably, and cause at least as many accidents as cars.

Motorcycles. Motorcycles are common in Japan, especially the cities, as they use little gas, are easy to park, and cost little to register compared to cars. And as car drivers are generally more careful in Japan, riding motorcycles here is generally less dangerous. But motorcyclists are less careful, and often modify the exhaust on their bikes in a way that makes them louder than Harleys in America. And motorcyclists here have this odd habit of riding with their feet hanging instead of sitting on the foot pegs. Lane splitting is legal in Japan, as is passing on the shoulder, and these guys often pass too close to cyclists.

Nazi vehicles. In Japan there are nationalist nuts who long for the days of Imperial Japan with battleships in Tokyo Bay, clouds of Zero fighters in the air, and soldiers marching on parade in the palace grounds. Most of these nationalists are related to the Yakuza, or gangsters, and most of them are descendants of the Buraku, or Eta, an outcast class who were executioners, butchers, or tanners. Having been spurned by society, they somehow end up as Nazi wannabes, wearing jackboots, and coveralls which looks like uniforms adorned with old Japanese battle flags and Nazi swastikas. In Japan they drive black vans and buses which are decorated with the Imperial chrysanthemum, and old battle flags. These also have huge loudspeakers on top over which they play old propaganda songs from the 1930's, and which they also use to harangue the police, and annoy anyone within 1 kilometer.

Trash Trucks. Tokyo is a huge city which generates lots of trash, and it takes a lot of work to get it picked up and disposed of by the middle of the day. Trash truck drivers here are like moonshiners of the old south, though the police never seem to do anything to slow them down.

Kei trucks. These are the little trucks which old farmers use to get around. They have a 600cc engine, and accelerate slower than a Schwinn Stingray ridden by a first grader. Perhaps half the accidents in Japan are caused by the drivers of these little trucks, the median age of these guys is over 80.
Old 09-24-20, 11:31 PM
xrazer

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Pro

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
Here in Japan things are different from other places. The worst annoying vehicles are:

Other cyclists. In Japan cyclists ride on streets and sidewalks, can ride either way on a one-way street. Cyclists here are generally commuters, housewives, old people, and students. They tend to ride unpredictably, and cause at least as many accidents as cars.

Motorcycles. Motorcycles are common in Japan, especially the cities, as they use little gas, are easy to park, and cost little to register compared to cars. And as car drivers are generally more careful in Japan, riding motorcycles here is generally less dangerous. But motorcyclists are less careful, and often modify the exhaust on their bikes in a way that makes them louder than Harleys in America. And motorcyclists here have this odd habit of riding with their feet hanging instead of sitting on the foot pegs. Lane splitting is legal in Japan, as is passing on the shoulder, and these guys often pass too close to cyclists.

Nazi vehicles. In Japan there are nationalist nuts who long for the days of Imperial Japan with battleships in Tokyo Bay, clouds of Zero fighters in the air, and soldiers marching on parade in the palace grounds. Most of these nationalists are related to the Yakuza, or gangsters, and most of them are descendants of the Buraku, or Eta, an outcast class who were executioners, butchers, or tanners. Having been spurned by society, they somehow end up as Nazi wannabes, wearing jackboots, and coveralls which looks like uniforms adorned with old Japanese battle flags and Nazi swastikas. In Japan they drive black vans and buses which are decorated with the Imperial chrysanthemum, and old battle flags. These also have huge loudspeakers on top over which they play old propaganda songs from the 1930's, and which they also use to harangue the police, and annoy anyone within 1 kilometer.

Trash Trucks. Tokyo is a huge city which generates lots of trash, and it takes a lot of work to get it picked up and disposed of by the middle of the day. Trash truck drivers here are like moonshiners of the old south, though the police never seem to do anything to slow them down.

Kei trucks. These are the little trucks which old farmers use to get around. They have a 600cc engine, and accelerate slower than a Schwinn Stingray ridden by a first grader. Perhaps half the accidents in Japan are caused by the drivers of these little trucks, the median age of these guys is over 80.
Just wow! I had no idea. I would think the Japanese on surface at least society would have a lot of respect for ech of us on the streets.
Old 09-28-20, 01:31 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,268 Times in 587 Posts

Absolutely!

On one of my regular routes, there are a couple busy streets that I have to cross; two lanes in each direction and a speed limit of 45 MPH. Invariably, I'll get a car at one or the other of those two streets wanting to wave me on across. The problem, as I see it, is the guy coming up in the other lane who isn't on board with the "waving across" gesture so he's just zooming by at 45 MPH. That's the guy most likely to T-bone me! I'd rather they BOTH zoom on by because in thirty seconds, all four lanes will be empty because the red light cycles tend to do that, and I can cross safely.

I often ride on a certain rail-trail that in a few areas runs right alongside a very busy active mainline railroad. Sure enough, at some of the busier street crossings, there is some overly-polite motorist who stops to wave the bikes across, thus causing the car behind them to stop on the railroad tracks. That's an accident waiting to happen.
Likes For Reflector Guy: