Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Preferred shorts?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Preferred shorts?

Old 09-02-20, 08:54 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
Not intended. The point is that most short makers do not make their own padding. The design and manufacture is from a source in Italy. I would imagine nowadays, several are from Asia.

A few years back, I purchased the shorts from 2XU, the compression sportswear company. But unfortunately, its no longer offered. The triathlon shorts are available but its not the same padding.

If padding is an important feature -- I mean comfort on the contact point, then its worthwhile to examine the various types of padding for the types of rides.
Yes, as I posted previously, I'm restarting cycling so I am more sensitive than I was, say when touring and doing 40 to 60 mile days. So I want shorts that are designed (especially including choice of pad) for sit bone cushioning, minimizing abrasion, and other points. Several companies (Aerotech, Boure) say these should be the characteristic for century comfort as well. When I have the endurance built up, I don't want the butt to be speaking to me.
Old 09-02-20, 11:10 PM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
Yes, as I posted previously, I'm restarting cycling so I am more sensitive than I was, say when touring and doing 40 to 60 mile days. So I want shorts that are designed (especially including choice of pad) for sit bone cushioning, minimizing abrasion, and other points. Several companies (Aerotech, Boure) say these should be the characteristic for century comfort as well. When I have the endurance built up, I don't want the butt to be speaking to me.
Here's one of the companies from Italy that make pads. Dolomiti

https://dolomiti-pads.com/azienda/

Their Miami FL office:

USA-CANADA - LATIN AMERICA - BRAZIL

CESAR INSIGNARES
+1 (786) 210 2079
MIAMI - USA
Old 09-03-20, 07:04 AM
huffman 

Bikes: Niner Jet 9 • Santa Cruz 5010 • Litespeed Watia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Thanks for posting the link to Aero Tech, I did not know about them. Wish they made some of their bibs in all medium blue like some of the shorts. My lower back really heats up on late afternoon rides this time of year when the sun bakes my back on long stretches. I don't understand how people can ride in all black during the southeasts hot humid summers. Used to have 2 pairs of all blue shorts and they really made a difference, alas all the elastic died & they went in the bin. Sadly, everything I tried to purchase there is out of stock.
Old 09-03-20, 09:39 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
Not intended. The point is that most short makers do not make their own padding. The design and manufacture is from a source in Italy. I would imagine nowadays, several are from Asia.

A few years back, I purchased the shorts from 2XU, the compression sportswear company. But unfortunately, its no longer offered. The triathlon shorts are available but its not the same padding.

If padding is an important feature -- I mean comfort on the contact point, then its worthwhile to examine the various types of padding for the types of rides.
As I wrote, it is important. My old faves go back about 10 years to Performance, the Ultra and Ultra II models. 10 panels, a nice pad, compliant and supportive. But now they are pretty old and I have no idea if what they now offer are comparable. Aerotech looks good, but I need to return for a smaller size. The cushiness of the pad is a bit suprising, but there does seem to be gel at teh sitbones. The thick pad reminds me of padded saddles, which present known problems. Sit bones sink until you are supported by buoyancy, then the softer cushioning wells up to press on soft tissue. If you position allows any hip rock and the pad does not fit tightly, I think it would be very painful due to abrasion. I think I need to look for a thinner pad but with a gel base. I think the gel is what will keep my 'bones comfortable. The sizing numbers on teh Aerotech seem to match my measurements, but the XL is just too large - waist is way over my waist, they fall down and the pad is moving around. The rise is just too long. My old shorts are mostly mediums with a few L's. The L's (including my BF 50+ shorts) are marginally too big. The M's still actually feel goodI think I need race-cut large or medium.

Size for my skeleton rather than my skin.

Last edited by Road Fan; 09-05-20 at 11:06 AM.
Old 09-04-20, 08:53 AM
huffman 

Bikes: Niner Jet 9 • Santa Cruz 5010 • Litespeed Watia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Road Fan you mentioned the waist coming down, I used to have that issue too. Was in a Performance store and they had Ultra bibs on sale so I bought a pair. After wearing them several times I never wore shorts again. Really miss going to Performance to try them on.