Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Post Surgery Bike Riding

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Post Surgery Bike Riding

Old 08-29-20, 11:28 AM
5 mph

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 50 Posts
Post Surgery Bike Riding

Went in for some intense Dental Surgery Wednesday and asked them if I could exercise afterwards.
They said "No, treat it as if you have a Trauma wound".
The next morning everything was fine. Went out on my bike for a slow 20 mile ride without sweating or breathing hard or pushing it. When I came back I my face looked pretty scary. It was swollen like a grapefruit
I realize everyone will say "You're crazy" but I've had surgery before and each time, I've started exercise quickly, albeit lightly.
I still believe it speeds up the recovery process..
I think that swelling would have developed anyway. I used ice to shrink it, No stitches tor, no pain or no fluids coming from area.
My face has returned to some normalcy. I biked gently yesterday and will today.. I will add last night I had to sleep 13 hours.
Just wanted to get some feedback from everyone.
Old 08-29-20, 11:47 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6063 Post(s)
Liked 4,694 Times in 3,238 Posts
I'd mention it to whomever did your surgery and see if there is some longer lasting something or other that maybe happens from anesthesia, pain killer or any other thing they used on you. That way you'll know to be more cautious next time if the same stuff is ever used on you.

Maybe even google up some of the stuff they gave you and look at the precautions and stuff about it. But be careful that your sources are credible and not some of the places that find a half truth they can build into a scare tactic.

Was it extra hot for your ride the other day? Heat that you aren't use to does some stranger things to our older bodies that it didn't do to us when younger. At least that's what I'm finding out.

Last edited by Iride01; 08-29-20 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-29-20, 01:12 PM
5 mph

Originally Posted by Iride01
I'd mention it to whomever did your surgery and see if there is some longer lasting something or other that maybe happens from anesthesia, pain killer or any other thing they used on you. That way you'll know to be more cautious next time if the same stuff is ever used on you.

Maybe even google up some of the stuff they gave you and look at the precautions and stuff about it. But be careful that your sources are credible and not some of the places that find a half truth they can build into a scare tactic.

Was it extra hot for your ride the other day? Heat that you aren't use to does some stranger things to our older bodies that it didn't do to us when younger. At least that's what I'm finding out.
just got back from a ride. Our bodies have rhythms and I felt the up cycle coming...felt nice and strong instead of sloppy and burned out. Funny thing was this time the biking improved things.. my face was back to normal. I'll hold back a while still.
Old 08-29-20, 10:41 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1927 Post(s)
Liked 2,143 Times in 1,309 Posts
Why did you ask in the first place?

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 08-30-20, 09:07 AM
5 mph

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Why did you ask in the first place?

John
Because there are two theories about post surgery recovery . One espouses bed rest and being inactive; the other advocates returning to full activity.
I'm not unwise. My shoulder surgeon made me move my arm the night after surgery and start movement exercises immediately. I was scared. Later he told me other surgeon's had their patients wait up to 6 months. I read later their shoulders took years to rehabilitate
Obviously you dont do this if you've had cardiac surgery but I have read patients have done this after internal surgery. I'm pretty sure I'm not trying that.
Gentle bike riding is not very stressful. It's less stressful than walking.
I still don't know if I did the right thing here. My cheek is still a bit swollen.

Last edited by 5 mph; 08-30-20 at 09:28 AM.
Old 08-30-20, 09:33 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

I meant why did you ask your dentist if you were going to ride anyway?

If you didn’t believe his advice, ask a different dentist.

John
Old 08-30-20, 11:21 AM
Kat12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 377 Times in 277 Posts
I would think you might best ask a variety of doctors this question. Those of us here without medical degrees/training might be able to give opinions and personal anecdotes, but it seems you're seeking actual medical advice, a sort of "second opinion" to what your doctor said?

Personally, when I'm uncertain, I back off. Instead of riding 20 miles, ride 10. Or 5. Or wait a couple more days. And then try again, slowly.
Old 08-30-20, 04:18 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
From my experience, getting the HR up has aided in recovery. I just made sure I kept the HR in a reasonable zone.......avoiding ramping it up too high.
Old 08-30-20, 08:09 PM
5 mph

Sorry if anyone took this thread the wrong way. I was hoping to hear others experiences and that's why I started this thread.
Some say there's a holistic, (your body and mind are One) side to this. If you feel good and positive, the faster you heal.

Last edited by 5 mph; 08-30-20 at 10:37 PM.
Old 08-30-20, 10:45 PM
70sSanO

I wasn’t offended. I would have thought posting the question on Wednesday might have been better.

But don’t feel bad. I shattered my clavicle on my road bike. Doctor kept moving the date when I could ride again. Between Christmas and New Years I just couldn’t wait. Took my mountain bike out and clipper a tree. Clavicle was fine, but my surgeon as surprised to see one of the screws slightly pulled out. Unfortunately my rotator cuff was not so lucky. Doc said I’d need surgery in 5 years. Did PT and I’m going on six.

Hope you’re feeling better.

John
Old 08-31-20, 10:58 AM
5 mph

Thanks. All the best to you
Old 08-31-20, 12:49 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 120 Posts
Well if it make you feel any better I had a prostate biopsy in the early AM and then went out later that day and road about 35-40 miles. No problems and much more of a direct hit.............The Biopsy was negative that was good. I also did something I would not recommend but was ok. I had greenlight surgery schedule for 1 pm afternoon. That morning I went out for a 20 mile ride. Probably not a great idea give you have to fast but I normally ride much more than 20 in a ride. Would not do that again just as a precaution.
Old 08-31-20, 10:25 PM
5 mph

I dont mean to be funny, but that was the theory I was trying to prove. Many of us at times dont listen to our doctors.
Old 08-31-20, 10:50 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4369 Post(s)
Liked 4,484 Times in 3,001 Posts
Several orthopedic hand and foot surgeries and one triple hernia and a parotid tumor removal non cancerous fortunately. Anyways got moving fast as I could but not too fast. If it didn’t feel right I stopped and waited awhile longer. After a bike ride my hand was swollen like a catchers mitt so that told me I was riding too soon.
Old 08-31-20, 11:46 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4555 Post(s)
Liked 2,792 Times in 1,796 Posts
My dentist suggested plenty of rest after my oral surgery a few years ago, while my ENT surgeon said I could ride my bike again within two days after my surgery for thyroid cancer.

That kinda surprised me, until I thought about both surgeries. While the thyroid cancer was serious, the surgery was not particularly invasive. The cancer hadn't metastasized, there were no complex tumor tendrils wrapped around my trachea and esophagus. It's right at the surface and the incision was quite small, barely visible now almost two years later. They used the least anesthesia they could to do the job. I could have been discharged a couple of hours after surgery, but had no one at home to check on me so the hospital kept me overnight for observation.

I took an easy paced bike ride (10-15 miles, I think) the day I got home, no problems. I was back to doing hard workout rides within a week.

In contrast the oral surgery was pretty invasive, there was that cavernous gaping wound with blood clots, and some serious pain meds for a couple of days. And some pretty detailed wound care instructions. And I had a horrific headache for a day or two after surgery. So I didn't even want to ride my bike.
Old 09-01-20, 08:58 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 2,192 Times in 1,234 Posts
I follow my doctor's advice on such matters. When I had broken bones in my face the ENT and the physician at the hospital said it would take 10-12 weeks to heal and I better not bump my face or the orbital nerve could be severed (blindness). Then the following year had some skin cancer removed at the hospital and the surgeon said wait a week before getting on a bike. I followed the advice. Both times I had thought about cheating but decided that a few days or weeks was not that bad.
Old 09-01-20, 02:47 PM
rydabent

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3345 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
I had my appendix removed by robotic surgery. They poked 4 little holes and one bigger one to get the appendix out.. With the blessings of the doctor, I went for a 20 mile ride 3 weeks later, with no pain or problem at all.

That is why if you need internal surgery, and It can be done with the Da Vinci robot, by all means have it done that way.
Old 09-01-20, 04:25 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4369 Post(s)
Liked 4,484 Times in 3,001 Posts
The Da Vinci robot did my hernia repair. I thought I was in a Star Wars film The drugs were great.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 09-01-20, 04:43 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3866 Post(s)
Liked 1,911 Times in 1,362 Posts
I had an emergency appendectomy, thus a nice old-style scar. I was doing pushups on the floor beside the bed when the duty nurse came in the next morning. It helped that I was 18. She was a little shocked, but it certainly did no harm. That's been my philosophy all my life. Exercise cures. My doctor says that if he could write one prescription for everyone, it would be exercise.

I caught a case of sciatica from not being able to ride my bike due to a really bad saddle sore. I couldn't walk for most of July without aids, but starting the 26th, I started a program of 3-5 mile fast walks every other day, plus 30 rep whole body work with dumbbells. When I started out, I was amazed that I could walk at all, but it fixed me right up. The longer I walked, the less it hurt - the bad pain was only in the first mile. Back in the day, doctors prescribed bed rest. I did have an MRI. The reader said it was from a bulging disc pressing on that nerve, not inflammation, so nothing doctors can do at this point. My wife and I are setting out on a 10 day unsupported backpack tomorrow. Hope it all goes OK. We've done two 3-day training backpacks, went OK.

When we get back, I'll be able to ride again!
Old 09-02-20, 01:25 PM
5 mph

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I had an emergency appendectomy, thus a nice old-style scar. I was doing pushups on the floor beside the bed when the duty nurse came in the next morning. It helped that I was 18. She was a little shocked, but it certainly did no harm. That's been my philosophy all my life. Exercise cures. My doctor says that if he could write one prescription for everyone, it would be exercise.

I caught a case of sciatica from not being able to ride my bike due to a really bad saddle sore. I couldn't walk for most of July without aids, but starting the 26th, I started a program of 3-5 mile fast walks every other day, plus 30 rep whole body work with dumbbells. When I started out, I was amazed that I could walk at all, but it fixed me right up. The longer I walked, the less it hurt - the bad pain was only in the first mile. Back in the day, doctors prescribed bed rest. I did have an MRI. The reader said it was from a bulging disc pressing on that nerve, not inflammation, so nothing doctors can do at this point. My wife and I are setting out on a 10 day unsupported backpack tomorrow. Hope it all goes OK. We've done two 3-day training backpacks, went OK.

When we get back, I'll be able to ride again!
thanks for Sharing. Good luck. That’s the inspiration I was looking for!
Old 09-10-20, 09:15 AM
Robalero

Bikes: Electra Townee 7D, TREK Domane 4, Checkpoint ALR 5, Marin Gestalt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 185 Posts
I had some major surgery on July 17th. I actually went in to the emergency room at midnight because my leg had swollen (i had taken a nasty fall two weeks earlier and was diagnosed with a torn muscle but with all this covid business and because of my age the doc did not want me close to a hospital at all) and although the bruise was in my right inner thigh I was experiencing some severe burning pain and drove myself to the emergency room at midnight on July 17th. The burning pain was in my right calf. Xrays came back with no fracture which is what my doc had told me but once they took a sonogram they had to wheel me into surgery at three a.m. as I had developed a massive blood clot where the tear was and that clot was releasing smaller clots into my calf, hence the burning in my calf. Doctor told me if I had waited a few hours more I would have been in a real fight for my life so I consider my self very lucky and I am extremely grateful that I sucked it up and went in to the emergency room at midnight on the 17th. Needless to say it was a major surgery and the wound had to be left open in order to avoid infection. Doc originally told me that it would probably take around three to five months to completely close and maybe a month after that to begin riding. However, thank god for good health, no diabetes, no high blood pressure and being very fit and strong I was released within 24 hours after my surgery(they took damned good care of me) when I went in for my first visit with the doc after surgery he was amazed at how the wound was already closing and revised his timeline.

Long story short: I was back on my bicycle for five mile rides on August 28th and am now up to 15 miles a day and go up to 20 miles tomorrow. Followed the doctor's advice to the letter and like I said, I am grateful for so much, like my good health, my body strength, my strong heart and lungs, and more than anything that I did not contract covid during the 36 hours I spend in the hospital.
Old 09-11-20, 08:08 AM
5 mph

Originally Posted by Robalero
I had some major surgery on July 17th. I actually went in to the emergency room at midnight because my leg had swollen (i had taken a nasty fall two weeks earlier and was diagnosed with a torn muscle but with all this covid business and because of my age the doc did not want me close to a hospital at all) and although the bruise was in my right inner thigh I was experiencing some severe burning pain and drove myself to the emergency room at midnight on July 17th. The burning pain was in my right calf. Xrays came back with no fracture which is what my doc had told me but once they took a sonogram they had to wheel me into surgery at three a.m. as I had developed a massive blood clot where the tear was and that clot was releasing smaller clots into my calf, hence the burning in my calf. Doctor told me if I had waited a few hours more I would have been in a real fight for my life so I consider my self very lucky and I am extremely grateful that I sucked it up and went in to the emergency room at midnight on the 17th. Needless to say it was a major surgery and the wound had to be left open in order to avoid infection. Doc originally told me that it would probably take around three to five months to completely close and maybe a month after that to begin riding. However, thank god for good health, no diabetes, no high blood pressure and being very fit and strong I was released within 24 hours after my surgery(they took damned good care of me) when I went in for my first visit with the doc after surgery he was amazed at how the wound was already closing and revised his timeline.

Long story short: I was back on my bicycle for five mile rides on August 28th and am now up to 15 miles a day and go up to 20 miles tomorrow. Followed the doctor's advice to the letter and like I said, I am grateful for so much, like my good health, my body strength, my strong heart and lungs, and more than anything that I did not contract covid during the 36 hours I spend in the hospital.
How did you get a strong heart and lungs, just curious? As you know, I'm joking. Thank you for posting this. Wish you well and see you on the roads and trails.
Likes For 5 mph:
Old 09-19-20, 07:44 AM
rydabent

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3345 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
The Da Vinci robot did my hernia repair. I thought I was in a Star Wars film The drugs were great.
The thing of it was with the robot and such small incisions, there was very little pain in the first place. They sent me home after surgery with two high powered pain pills. After 2 day they caused my stomach to be up set and I quit taking them. Still no pain.