Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Any experience with using Vittoria Pit Stop on tubulars?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-20, 09:59 AM
ljsense

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts

I am wondering about spraying some Vittoria Pit Stop inside a set of Dugast mountain bike tubular tires as a preemptive measure against flats.

On part of their web site, Vittoria says don't use sealants inside tubular tires for a number of reasons -- it can harden, it's heavy, etc. But on their product page for Pit Stop, they say go ahead and use it preemptively. Competitive Cyclist on their product page for Pit Stop says it can be used as a preemptive measure against flats and that it works great with butyl or latex tubes.

It's a fluke I own these tires. If they last through the fall, that's more than I expect. So I don't really worry about the sealant eventually hardening up, and I don't care about adding a few grams. I'd just like to have them be bit more protected against a flat, and less likely to bleed pressure between rides.

Any experience with Pit Stop? Any reason not to try? Thanks
Old 09-04-20, 10:27 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,813 Times in 1,536 Posts
here is your best source/discussion are for tubular https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...y-tubular.html

I use caffelatex, in my tubulars but have a pressure can of pit stop in my bag

Old 09-04-20, 01:39 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Originally Posted by ljsense
I had some once - didn't work, when I got a small puncture on my front tire the stuff came spewing out and got on my sunglasses, bike frame, brakes, etc.
I've had a little more success with Stan's - worked well enough once to get me home on a soft tire.
If I had more flats I'd be more interested, but I'm fortunate not to have to worry too much.
Latex tubes in Vittoria tires.
Old 09-04-20, 02:00 PM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by ljsense
I am wondering about spraying some Vittoria Pit Stop inside a set of Dugast mountain bike tubular tires as a preemptive measure against flats.

On part of their web site, Vittoria says don't use sealants inside tubular tires for a number of reasons -- it can harden, it's heavy, etc. But on their product page for Pit Stop, they say go ahead and use it preemptively. Competitive Cyclist on their product page for Pit Stop says it can be used as a preemptive measure against flats and that it works great with butyl or latex tubes.

It's a fluke I own these tires. If they last through the fall, that's more than I expect. So I don't really worry about the sealant eventually hardening up, and I don't care about adding a few grams. I'd just like to have them be bit more protected against a flat, and less likely to bleed pressure between rides.

I have been using tufo sealant for years. Hasn't let me down yet. Sealed a nick a couple of mms long a month or so ago. And I'm still riding the tyre.
It does clog the valve but they can be cleaned or just force the air past.
Old 09-06-20, 06:34 PM
ljsense

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts
Thanks for all the advice -- I'll give it a go, since it's what I've got on hand. If it results even in the tubes holding air longer before fill ups, that'll be good enough. Next time, I'll get something else.
Old 09-07-20, 09:57 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Pit Stop is sealant and compressed gas to fill the tire- if you're adding it ahead of time just use sealant.

I tried it once- actually found a whole saddlebag road-side with a tire & can of pitstop. As I recall, it sort of worked,

but not enough to buy another and carry it around.
Old 09-07-20, 02:24 PM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
So while I use the tufo I assume they all work similarly. The tufo certainly doesn't stop the tyre slowly deflating over time.