Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Hot weather remains

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Hot weather remains

Old 09-04-20, 07:16 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
Hot weather remains

So, I'm working on getting back on the road, still. Weather is still warm, but not quite as hot. But, I finally realized that I should get some salt supplement for outdoor exercising.

My question is, what to get? Does it matter very much? What chemicals should be and are in them? I think I want something a little more clinical than say, potato chips and Slim Jims.

What do others in the 67 yo range use? Or of course of any age?

Last edited by Road Fan; 09-04-20 at 07:22 PM.
Old 09-04-20, 08:18 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 161 Posts
Just water and for rides over 50 miles maybe a gu or 2. Centuries I will stop and grab a sandwich around 60 miles.
Old 09-04-20, 08:53 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1738 Post(s)
Liked 1,404 Times in 960 Posts
Why did you suddenly 'realize' you needed to take a salt supplement? A medical condition? Barring a medical condition, if you're 'getting back on the road' means you're not in very good shape, the problem is just building up your fitness level to where you want to be. Just drink enough water t stay hydrated and you should be fine. You could also take a generic multi-vitamin/mineral supplement (wouldn't hurt), or eat processed foods (usually high in salt).
Old 09-04-20, 09:15 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8147 Post(s)
Liked 8,800 Times in 4,368 Posts
I carry a banana and Nature Valley granola bar. I also like Kind bars but avoid the melty ones when it's hot. If I'm going to stop on a longer ride I like to split a sandwich and a bag of chips with another rider.
If I'm mountain biking on a long day I like to bring a PB&J sandwich along with the granola bar. I like dried fruit and those pretzel squares that are filled with peanut butter.

I forgot Payday bars. Sometimes I'll have one but they are a bit sugary. A friend of mine buys them online and brings them on every ride.

Last edited by big john; 09-04-20 at 09:29 PM.
Old 09-05-20, 06:47 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 810 Post(s)
Liked 1,941 Times in 933 Posts
I have started taking organic maple syrup in a flask with me recently for the sucrose and electrolytes. It is easy for me to digest, easy to carry, and provides a nice bump in energy. You can always create your own mix by adding a pinch of salt, a little citrus juice or dilute with water.
Old 09-05-20, 10:24 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6063 Post(s)
Liked 4,694 Times in 3,238 Posts
Electrolytes can be gotten from things you eat and drink that don't even advertise themselves as electrolyte replacement.

The question is really if you need to supplement them for the amount of time you spend out working hard or exercising. Generally I figure if I'm tossing down 3 or 4 bottles of water in a very short time, say two or three hours, I'll probably need some. And anytime I'm guzzling past five bottles, I will make sure I've had some form of something with electrolyte during all that time.

This is something you need to read and understand if you are working or exercising in the heat for long periods. But if you are only going out for a 1 hour ride, it's much less a factor.

It's one of those things a little is good, just right is best and more is just as bad as none. Your normal diet gives you plenty. And like I said earlier, if you aren't guzzling huge amounts of drinks that don't contain any type of electrolyte, then you'll likely not have an issue.
Old 09-05-20, 10:38 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 2,192 Times in 1,234 Posts
When it is hot or if my ride is two hours or more , I put a Nuun tablet in one bottle and have a bottle that is just water. I am 65 soon to be 66 and started this a couple of years ago and it seems better for me after the ride I only need to do a few stretches and relax , then I bounce right back with very little fatigue. I live on a hill so the last part of my ride is a huge work out . I am not riding this weekend as it is really hot in Southern California , like 107 at my house. Just not good , I can wait , there is plenty of good weather around here. I will work on my Medici . My wife is ok if I bring my stand into the house and work on my bikes in AC! So it is a good time to put my newly acquired pantographed stem on.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 09-05-20, 02:55 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8147 Post(s)
Liked 8,800 Times in 4,368 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
So it is a good time to put my newly acquired pantographed stem on.
How can you put the stem on and not go for a test ride?
Old 09-05-20, 07:53 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 2,192 Times in 1,234 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
How can you put the stem on and not go for a test ride?
good point, I may rethink my strategy!
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 09-07-20, 01:57 PM
Shamrock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I'm 66, in high heat and humidity my doc advised any activity where I sweat alot to take a pinch of table salt at the start. .This was due to my blood pressure dropping making me light headed and weak.I wish he said potato chips and slim jims
Likes For Shamrock:
Old 09-07-20, 03:09 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
There is a vast range of responses to exercise in hot weather. Back in the days when I played tennis regularly while living on the Missisppi Gulf Coast, temps in summer were typically 93F and relative humidity 93%. I could play all afternoon but did sweat a great deal. At the same time, one tennis friend, born and bred there, would barely have a few drops of moisture on his brow. It seems to follow that someone who sweats heavily should pay close attention to electrotytes. In the past I have weighed myself before and after a ride to get a handle on water consumption. Electrolytes are supplemented on longer rides from additions to water bottles such as from Hammer Nutrition. https://www.hammernutrition.com/products/electrolytes There are many natural foods that also contain electrolytes. The main message is you have to know yourself and the type of ride you will be doing.
Old 09-08-20, 04:12 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
These work really well for me. Drink plenty of water when taking them. I even use them when walking 18 holes of golf 5 days a week and they really do help.

https://www.hammernutrition.com/endurolytes