Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Question about pro sprinters

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Question about pro sprinters

Old 09-16-20, 08:05 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I assume that it was posted up on Strava afterwards, not that anyone is looking at someone else’s Garmin in the middle of a race.
Old 09-16-20, 08:23 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Pure sprinters are like match sprinters on the velodrome. Their effort only lasts in the range of 10 seconds to a minute or so if some tries to kilo them from the start. Many of those riders will hit peaks in the low to mid 2,000 in terms of watts. Cavendish and Viviani are considered enduros on the track. One reason some teams bring sprinters to grand tours is because they don’t have a gc contender. They can get sprint wins that will give the sponsors air time.
Old 09-16-20, 09:28 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Trying to boil a 150 mile stage down to who can output the most energy the longest is pointless. No one does that. It's also pointless to make the same assumptions about a sprinter that typically can output an obscene amount of energy very quickly for a short time.

In all those miles of stage race the tactics and strategy mean just as much and probably a tad more if not a lot more.
Old 09-16-20, 09:39 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,601 Times in 5,946 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Something that hasn't been mentioned here, and some of you might get upset by hearing this is...

Some athletes are using "enhancements". They don't build sustainable fitness, but the do build muscle that remains long after they get clean.
It could be argued that "muscle that remains long after they get clean" IS sustainable fitness, as would be an increase in hematocrit values. Yes, it's a cheat, but it's not necessarily a short term boost, AND it's layered on top of long term fitness. Though I suppose it depends on what you consider 'long term'.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 09-16-20, 10:39 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
In one-day or shorter stage races, sometimes a GC type with top-notch TT abilities will go on a long break and win (e.g., Annemiek van Vleuten, Remco Evenepoel), but inaction and disorganization in the peloton behind plays a huge part in why they can stay away.
Slightly OT, but one of the best one day races I have seen was back in 2011 or so, the year Boonen doubled Flanders-Roubaix. He attacked with 50km to go, and soloed to a win. He was helped by a taillwind, a disorganized chase by only 1-2 riders and the fact that apparently the cobbles are not very conducive to an effective chase - the pack never really caught up to him and he actually gained time in each of the cobble sectors - by the time the cobbles were over, his lead was insurmountable. This was a week after he was in a 3-man break and outsprinted the other 2 to win Flanders, who had been taking turns attacking him in the last few km.
Old 09-16-20, 10:48 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11321 Post(s)
Liked 4,635 Times in 2,701 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
It could be argued that "muscle that remains long after they get clean" IS sustainable fitness, as would be an increase in hematocrit values. Yes, it's a cheat, but it's not necessarily a short term boost, AND it's layered on top of long term fitness. Though I suppose it depends on what you consider 'long term'.
Training while dirty allows one to train harder and "better" than without. That all goes in the bank, and lasts a good long time. Of course, one still has to keep training while clean, otherwise couch to crit would become a thing.
Old 09-16-20, 11:09 AM
BoraxKid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
Marco Pantani won at 5'8" and 126 pounds.

Alberto Contador won at 5'9" and 137 pounds, yielding a 7W/kg FTP.
Umm, not really the best examples. Both of those guys were notorious for doping They couldn't do it naturally.
Old 09-16-20, 12:06 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I assume that it was posted up on Strava afterwards, not that anyone is looking at someone else’s Garmin in the middle of a race.
I've seen people posit this question before, but never answered, but since wireless powermeter/HRM broadcasts unauthenticated readings over standard ANT+, couldn't someone pair their head unit to a competitor's sensors and really know when they're suffering? Could be a big advantage knowing if the guy who won't pull through on the break is really suffering, or if the one attacking on a climb is worth chasing. Obviously fiddling with your computer during a race would be suspicious, but what if you simply did it before a stage?

That's not even getting to the possibility for equipment sponsors to provide custom firmware that supports showing multiple sensors of the same type, rather than just a single source, simultaneously.
Old 09-16-20, 12:17 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

You could but you'd have to be right next to them. I've had a situation where the battery in my Quarq died on a group ride and my Garmin kept trying to pair with other riders' PMs. But as soon as they get more than a bike length or so away, you'd lose the signal. It's ultra low power, which is why you can power a PM with a watch battery for several months.

And besides, all a power meter measures is power (hence the name). It doesn't have any way of measuring how much it hurts a particular rider to produce that power.

I can't speak for anyone else, but in a race I don't even look at power. I capture it for later, but in a race all I care about is whether I can hold a wheel or not, whether I feel fresh enough to launch an attack or not, etc.

Last edited by caloso; 09-16-20 at 12:23 PM.
Likes For caloso:
Old 09-16-20, 12:19 PM
noodle soup

Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by BoraxKid
Umm, not really the best examples. Both of those guys were notorious for doping They couldn't do it naturally.
Don’t kid yourself. None of them are all natural.
Old 09-16-20, 12:23 PM
BoraxKid

You could but you'd have to be right next to them. I've had a situation where the battery in my Quarq died on a group ride and my Garmin kept trying to pair with other riders' PMs. But as soon as they get more than a bike length or so away, you'd lose the signal. It's ultra low power, which is why you can power a PM with a watch battery for several months.

And besides, all a power meter measures is power (hence the name). It doesn't have any way of measuring how much it hurts a particular rider to produce that power.
It seems like if someone wanted a real advantage via electronic espionage in a bike race, the more useful data would come from reading your opponent's heart rate monitor. That has a whole different level of shadiness in my book, but it would let you know when your rival was exerting themselves in an unsustainable way.
Old 09-16-20, 12:25 PM
caloso

It seems like if someone wanted a real advantage via electronic espionage in a bike race, the more useful data would come from reading your opponent's heart rate monitor. That has a whole different level of shadiness in my book, but it would let you know when your rival was exerting themselves in an unsustainable way.
Only if you had a chart with every other rider's resting, LTHR, and HRmax. Seriously, you're better off watching their shoulders and hips.
Likes For caloso:
Old 09-16-20, 12:27 PM
BoraxKid

Only if you had a chart with every other rider's resting, LTHR, and HRmax. Seriously, you're better off watching their shoulders and hips.
Nah, you could reasonably estimate when someone is gassing themselves without knowing all their specific numbers. Especially if they are a regular on your circuit; you get to know people out there.
Old 09-16-20, 12:41 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Just thinking of the acting job Kamna did on yesterday's stage, he definitely fooled Carapaz. And I would think for HR, you could guess if you saw it drifting up that they're past threshold. But good point about the limits of how far the sensors can be picked up.
Old 09-16-20, 01:53 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Dope can only do so much. They were already way outside the norm.

Old 09-16-20, 02:03 PM
BoraxKid

Dope can only do so much. They were already way outside the norm.
Idk, most of the pros are "way outside the norm" for humans. Contador looked surprisingly normal (for the pro peloton) when he came back after his suspension. He was definitely less effective off the dope.
Old 09-16-20, 02:08 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Idk, most of the pros are "way outside the norm" for humans. Contador looked surprisingly normal (for the pro peloton) when he came back after his suspension. He was definitely less effective off the dope.
The unanswered question is, how much advantage is there in doping below the levels of detection? I'm not sure I believe it's the ONLY reason Pantani could fly up the mountains like that, partly because I'm also pretty sure there were a lot of others using similar enhancements.

(That, and I feel sorry for Pantani because he clearly was one messed up dude)

Old 09-16-20, 03:45 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
I've seen people posit this question before, but never answered, but since wireless powermeter/HRM broadcasts unauthenticated readings over standard ANT+, couldn't someone pair their head unit to a competitor's sensors and really know when they're suffering? Could be a big advantage knowing if the guy who won't pull through on the break is really suffering, or if the one attacking on a climb is worth chasing.
How could you possibly know if theyr'e suffering, though? So you see their wattage. Big deal. Do you have an indepth knowledge of their CPs? Of their recent training, fitness, fatigue, motivation, and rest?

If not, it really makes zero difference.
Old 09-16-20, 03:46 PM
rubiksoval

Nah, you could reasonably estimate when someone is gassing themselves without knowing all their specific numbers. Especially if they are a regular on your circuit; you get to know people out there.
No, not really.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 09-16-20, 03:47 PM
rubiksoval

Just thinking of the acting job Kamna did on yesterday's stage, he definitely fooled Carapaz. And I would think for HR, you could guess if you saw it drifting up that they're past threshold. But good point about the limits of how far the sensors can be picked up.
You could guess. Of course, you'd have a 30-40 bpm range to guess from....

Wouldn't be a good guess.
Old 09-16-20, 04:01 PM
surak

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
You could guess. Of course, you'd have a 30-40 bpm range to guess from....

Wouldn't be a good guess.
If you see both power and heart rate, why would the uncertainty range be that large? If two riders are on a break riding at steady power, HR drift is an indication that it isn't really steady. Is it better than trying to read body language, maybe not, but could knowing provide even a little bit of an advantage? Pros are aware of the numbers that others put out to some extent.
Old 09-16-20, 04:12 PM
rubiksoval

If you see both power and heart rate, why would the uncertainty range be that large? If two riders are on a break riding at steady power, HR drift is an indication that it isn't really steady. Is it better than trying to read body language, maybe not, but could knowing provide even a little bit of an advantage? Pros are aware of the numbers that others put out to some extent.
No. HR is so individual and so susceptible to outside factors.

I can think about the finish of a race and raise my hr 10 bpm. I do it all the time on the trainer.

It's utterly useless. Especially in a situation in which you described.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 09-16-20, 04:20 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
I've started HR monitoring while reading BF posts. Interesting data plot
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 09-16-20, 04:37 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I've started HR monitoring while reading BF posts. Interesting data plot
Now try that when reading the news.....

Old 09-16-20, 06:41 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Now try that when reading the news.....
Tums...tum tum tum

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.