Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Darn Bike Electronics!

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Darn Bike Electronics!

Old 09-15-20, 08:33 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Darn Bike Electronics!

I’m headed out for a 3 day 300 mile credit card tour tomorrow to the NC coast with 6 others. On top of Sally going to dump several inches of rain on us, my Garmin 1000 bike computer just crapped out. The power button is a rubber piece Encased in the side of the unit, and it decided to tear off this morning. But after looking at it, all that’s needed is a small screwdriver to push down on another button inside the unit to turn the power off and on. But the tear leaves the unit with a hole in the side. I’m hoping duct tape covering the hole will keep the moisture out. If water infiltrates the unit it’s probably toast. I have all 3 days routes loaded (lots of back roads) so keeping my fingers crossed that the duct tape will hold up.

I also loaded the routes on an older Garmin 705 as a backup. But when I tried syncing the 705 to my computer to download the routes, I had a heck of a time finding a cord that would actually not only power up the unit but also connect the data. I finally found one in an old Garmin box I had stashed away. What was supposed to take 15 minutes wound up taking a couple hours. Darn electronics............not to mention my new Cyclic cameras are not usable right now, either. I guess the rear one is not as waterproof as it needs to be??? but I guess it’s still 2020
Old 09-16-20, 12:43 AM
jlmonte

Bikes: Colnago Brain, Master Bi-Titanio, Vitus 979, Specialized Roubaix, Salsa Marrakesh, and a couple of Treks

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
I wonder if AAA will plan a TripTik for you? A little old school, but you could impress your friend by reading a paper map, and wearing a watch. Distance = Rate x Time. Happy travels and a safe ride.
Likes For jlmonte:
Old 09-16-20, 06:49 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1380 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 815 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
I’m headed out for a 3 day 300 mile credit card tour tomorrow to the NC coast with 6 others. On top of Sally going to dump several inches of rain on us, my Garmin 1000 bike computer just crapped out. The power button is a rubber piece Encased in the side of the unit, and it decided to tear off this morning. But after looking at it, all that’s needed is a small screwdriver to push down on another button inside the unit to turn the power off and on. But the tear leaves the unit with a hole in the side. I’m hoping duct tape covering the hole will keep the moisture out. If water infiltrates the unit it’s probably toast. I have all 3 days routes loaded (lots of back roads) so keeping my fingers crossed that the duct tape will hold up.

I also loaded the routes on an older Garmin 705 as a backup. But when I tried syncing the 705 to my computer to download the routes, I had a heck of a time finding a cord that would actually not only power up the unit but also connect the data. I finally found one in an old Garmin box I had stashed away. What was supposed to take 15 minutes wound up taking a couple hours. Darn electronics............not to mention my new Cyclic cameras are not usable right now, either. I guess the rear one is not as waterproof as it needs to be??? but I guess it’s still 2020
Sounds like you need electronic shifting on your bicycle, as well.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Likes For John E:
Old 09-16-20, 08:48 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2568 Post(s)
Liked 1,889 Times in 1,185 Posts
Originally Posted by jlmonte
I wonder if AAA will plan a TripTik for you? A little old school, but you could impress your friend by reading a paper map, and wearing a watch. Distance = Rate x Time. Happy travels and a safe ride.
Or import your routes into ridewithgps (if they're not already there), and print out some cue sheets. Ziplock bags + clothespins or binder clips to hole the bags to your shifter or brake cables, and you're ready to go play in the rain.
Old 09-16-20, 08:54 AM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 549 Posts
yo9u can spray it with this product. I used it to waterproof my garage door remote so I can stick it to my bike it worked well I ran it under water and it worked fine. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 09-16-20, 08:56 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts

This is how my Edge1000 went away. I asked Garmin about a fix. They offered $175USD out-of-warranty replacement. For a cracked power button that cost a penny.

I ended up selling that unit to a friend who lives in KC. He literally walked into the Garmin HQ there and asked about it--and got a replacement for free.
Old 09-16-20, 09:07 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6063 Post(s)
Liked 4,694 Times in 3,238 Posts
Yes, call Garmin and see what they'll do. Even if they only offer you a re-furb'd unit at the flat rate repair price, that's still better than getting a new something else that is equivalent. But you never know, planets, stars and everything might align at that moment and the Garmin CSR will offer you a free replacement.

I've always wondered if some sunscreens or even cleaning solutions cause the button material to fail. I wash my hand after putting on anys sunscreen and my very old edge 500 doesn't show any problems. I have known others with an edge 500 that their button coverings got soft and gummy then came off.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 09-16-20, 12:03 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Your ride sounds like fun.

Gorilla tape FTW.
Old 09-16-20, 07:20 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Originally Posted by Iride01
Yes, call Garmin and see what they'll do. Even if they only offer you a re-furb'd unit at the flat rate repair price, that's still better than getting a new something else that is equivalent. But you never know, planets, stars and everything might align at that moment and the Garmin CSR will offer you a free replacement.

I've always wondered if some sunscreens or even cleaning solutions cause the button material to fail. I wash my hand after putting on anys sunscreen and my very old edge 500 doesn't show any problems. I have known others with an edge 500 that their button coverings got soft and gummy then came off.
The piece that broke is under an outer rubber cover so there shouldn’t be an issue with contamination that might break down the rubber around the switch. I see what they were trying to do from a design perspective (waterproofing) but it’s just not hardy enough to last as Long as it should.
Old 09-18-20, 06:14 PM
GeorgeBaby

Bikes: 2005 Bike Friday NWT, Bacchetta Giro 26, 2019 Titanium Bilenky Midlands

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
You can find a replacement back on eBay -- I did that with my 1000. I got one with a battery, because that's a bit easier to put on. It's about 5 minutes work.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...1000+back+case
Old 09-19-20, 10:05 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3179 Post(s)
Liked 2,006 Times in 1,149 Posts
Button cover failure is a known issue on the 1000. There are many cobbled together fixes on YouTube. I retired my 1000 as it was starting to show button fatigue issues (I could see the plastic starting to crack). Replaced it with a 1030. I kept my 1000 as a backup but the 1030 has been trouble free for 3 years now, so it’s still sitting unused on a shelf.

As well, Garmins are very picky as to USB cables. I went thru a box of cables, finding out which one provides a data connection. I use that to change and update on the Garmin and only for that.
Old 09-19-20, 06:32 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Button cover failure is a known issue on the 1000. There are many cobbled together fixes on YouTube. I retired my 1000 as it was starting to show button fatigue issues (I could see the plastic starting to crack). Replaced it with a 1030. I kept my 1000 as a backup but the 1030 has been trouble free for 3 years now, so it’s still sitting unused on a shelf.

As well, Garmins are very picky as to USB cables. I went thru a box of cables, finding out which one provides a data connection. I use that to change and update on the Garmin and only for that.

I’ve experienced the cable issue with my 1000 as well.
Old 09-20-20, 10:36 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Well, now my Garmin 1000 won’t recognize the micro usb cord I’d been using. It’s not even charging with that cord....I’ll see if cleaning the ports will help.
Old 09-20-20, 11:53 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6063 Post(s)
Liked 4,694 Times in 3,238 Posts
A really good jeweler's loop or other magnifier comes in useful for inspecting and seeing if you are even doing anything when you clean. You might even see a bent pin or broken contact in it. At that point, you probably need to look for a replacement unless you live to fiddle with tiny and tedious things.

I have every once in a great while found that a little wd-40 on the male end of the cable and plugging and unplugging it several times SEEMS to help. Don't go wild with the wd-40 though.
Old 09-20-20, 12:14 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Originally Posted by Iride01
A really good jeweler's loop or other magnifier comes in useful for inspecting and seeing if you are even doing anything when you clean. You might even see a bent pin or broken contact in it. At that point, you probably need to look for a replacement unless you live to fiddle with tiny and tedious things.

I have every once in a great while found that a little wd-40 on the male end of the cable and plugging and unplugging it several times SEEMS to help. Don't go wild with the wd-40 though.
Thanks! Fortunately a good scrubbing with an old tooth brush on both the female connector on the Garmin and the plug on the cord has fixed it for now.
Old 09-21-20, 09:02 AM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 233 Times in 135 Posts
As a general statement, I feel like electronics have definitely taken a bite out of the fun in cycling. Just to keep my commuter ready for action, I have set up a "charging station" for all my lights, etc in the garage. Forgetting to charge when it's needed can easily put the kabosh on a ride. I miss the old days.
Old 09-21-20, 12:03 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Originally Posted by Papa Tom
As a general statement, I feel like electronics have definitely taken a bite out of the fun in cycling. Just to keep my commuter ready for action, I have set up a "charging station" for all my lights, etc in the garage. Forgetting to charge when it's needed can easily put the kabosh on a ride. I miss the old days.
when stuff’s unexpectedly not working it’s the Pitts. But I’ve come to enjoy the electronic mapping capabilities. There are a lot of rural areas of NC which are interesting to explore. Creating a route and using GPS to navigate and explore without having to refer to paper has been efficient. I think I’d miss that. But all my new gadgets are pretty much rechargeable. I wound up using an external battery to boost my Garmin on two long rides last week.
Old 09-21-20, 12:03 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3179 Post(s)
Liked 2,006 Times in 1,149 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
I hear 'ya. Computers too and the need to update, charge the laptop battery, have a workable WiFi modem, all that stuff just takes the fun away. It was so much easier sending smoke signals.
Old 09-21-20, 07:03 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 233 Times in 135 Posts
I hear 'ya. Computers too and the need to update, charge the laptop battery, have a workable WiFi modem, all that stuff just takes the fun away. It was so much easier sending smoke signals.
For my live production work (which is rare these days), I have to keep an eye on four iPads and an iPod Shuffle to make sure I don't leave the batteries dry for too long. For working on the local history books that I write and for editing audio files on my lunch hour, I have to make sure my laptop battery stays healthy. My wife and I have two active iPhones and I have one that I use for white noise at bed time and one that I use for pre-show music when I tech an outdoor movie. These need to always stay charged.

On my bike, I have a Cygolite headlamp, a Cygolite rear blinky, an iPod, a Blue Tooth speaker, and ANOTHER Blue Tooth speaker for the back of the bike when my wife rides with me. All of these lose their charges very quickly.

If ANY of these electronics fail, it can do as little as ruin a ride or as much as screw up a big show.

I have been riding a bicycle for more than fifty years and have been doing audio for events and shows for about forty years. I've only had iPods, iPads, iPhones, laptops, bike lights, and bike speakers for the last TEN of those years. I don't bike or mix audio any better than I ever have, but I have never, EVER had this much technical stress about audio or bicycling in my entire life.
Likes For Papa Tom:
Old 09-30-20, 08:18 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 732 Times in 453 Posts
My Garmin 500 is getting a bit long in the tooth. The rubber is all wearing out and the charging is via the old-type USB which is hard to find anymore. I'm seriously considering an upgrade - next year when I'm hopefully riding more. For my current level of use, the old one is still working fine.
Old 09-30-20, 09:48 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3866 Post(s)
Liked 1,911 Times in 1,362 Posts
Yes, the cords which come with charging units are only charging cables. Not all the wires are connected. You have to have a data cable. Fortunately, IME all the cables one buys separately are data cables.

My Edge 800 has operated perfectly, never a failure. I bought it 10 years ago. I have no plan to upgrade. I have all my maps, routes, workouts, and results on micro cards, so I never have to plug the 800 into anything other than the charger. I use a simple card reader to transfer data to and from my computer.
Old 10-03-20, 08:12 AM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
Agree! I've been riding mostly "unplugged" this year. All the metrics I was pursuing last year (see 'approaching 60' thread) don't interest me at the moment. It's easy to turn back the clock: don't use any electronics! I may look for a phone app to track distance and speed. Maybe.

If the libraries ever reopen here I plan to read old fashioned books again.
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports