Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

standing to pedal

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

standing to pedal

Old 09-21-20, 02:08 PM
shmily_dana

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I don't do it myself. But I'm guessing a lot of people are doing something wrong. For example, I'm riding a few lengths behind someone going thru an underpass. When we get to the climb, they stand to pedal. I don't and pedal at the same cadence. Maybe I shift gears. But I maintain the same speed. However, they slow down a lot and now I'm closing the gap. So I have to break a bit. So they appear to be losing a lot of momentum. I'm not sure why and I don't think they are doing the most optimum technique to go thru a short climb out of an underpass.
Old 09-22-20, 06:02 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1927 Post(s)
Liked 2,143 Times in 1,309 Posts
Other than for training or for those who are getting a break from sitting, standing on hills can be an easier and sometimes the only way to get up a hill.

It all comes down to cadence. With a slow enough cadence, you are basically walking the bike up a hill like walking up stairs. This is the opposite from sprinting up a short hill section.

Years ago I would do this if the climb was too steep and the gears were too high for my legs. The key is patience because your speed is so slow, but it is also more about survival.

Now with a triple and lower gears that will let me spin more, I find I only sprint up short sections and I don’t have the patience to stair step, and find it tough to find a “just right” cadence that I can use for longer sections.

I understand the underpass phenomenon. If I’m in a bigger chainring, I don’t want to shift down enough, a different chainring, just to go up the other side of an underpass. Depending on how well I have, or have not, set it up, I sometimes find myself trying to power the last bit, which is probably slower than someone spinning in a lower gear.

John
Old 10-12-20, 09:03 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
Why on earth would you want to master such a skill, unless you're a juggling cycling acrobat?
Okay, I tried to make a video today of how to ride in the standing position with no hands. I discovered just how technology challenged I am today. Where the heck did all those megabytes come from? File too large to upload? Yeah, I won't try that again. Filming that is. The trick to riding with no hands while standing on the pedals is simply put your left foot forward and horizontal with the right foot. Rise off the seat, but keep it firmly between your thighs and place your index finger of your dominant hand on the top center of your handlebars while you fully stand up. Then simply extend your hands out to either side like airplane wings. To steer, simply press one leg a little harder against the side of the seat and the bike will shy away from the force. It's just like riding a horse without a bridle. It's really a kick in the pants when you have a long grade to come down. Cars honk and people wave as they go by. Pedaling while standing, well, that one isn't so easy. Good luck
Old 10-13-20, 08:42 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 103 Posts
My standing is limited to crotch rest when needed, mostly not but some rides more than others. Standing does a number on my
quads and since revising my two road bikes gearing, one with 34/32 low and the other 32/34 low I can go up hills easily enough
unless grade is >18% or so. About 10-12 yrs ago when stoking on a tandem I did a lot of standing and got so I could go
1/4+ uphill miles without quad complaint but that has all gone away.

FWIW going from sitting to standing will drop your forward speed 0.5-2 mph depending on terrain until the transition is complete, no biggy for
you but a problem if you are riding closely behind someone who stands. A good cyclist will call out "standing" as a warning.
Likes For sch:
Old 10-14-20, 01:25 AM
AlgarveCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
On my road bike I only stand when climbing, typically to mix it up rather than remaining seated all the time - standing doesn't slow me down and I attack from a standing position generally. Yesterday I was seated for the first 5km of a 4.5% climb, then on the next 4.2km 8.3% I did both, then on the 2km 13% and 20% sections I was standing all the time. Gears being 28 at the back, 34 in the front so a grind even in that low combo on the steepest parts.

On my MTB, I am seated on all hills - for traction. Stand and the rear wheel will spin out on the loose, stony terrain we have here.
Old 10-16-20, 06:02 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
I have modified one of my folders to have a BMX low seat and retained the normal high handlebar position typical on a shopper. Every morning I use it for exercise before starting work, and I very rarely ever use the seat to sit on, except on rare occasions while coasting home. So I stand and ride for 10-20 minutes, while I circle a local car park.

For added fun, I have no hand brakes, just a coaster brake hub.

trev
Old 10-16-20, 12:53 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4297 Post(s)
Liked 2,929 Times in 1,589 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
And finally, pacing remains quite important with the technique. If your legs are already burning when you decide to leave the saddle, things could get worse. It's a lot easier to sustain pedaling out of the saddle if the legs are fresh and also to keep pacing the effort when out of the saddle.
And the reverse is also true - if you stand until your legs start to burn, they won't be able to turn the pedals when you finally do sit down.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 10-16-20, 01:11 PM
Champlaincycler

Bikes: 2018 Diverge Comp, 2016 Specialized SL4 Comp,

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 38 Posts
I don't stand very often, but I do have 3 sections of my loops where I commit to standing and busting it. They are each about 3/4 of a mile and slightly uphill. Just do it to use different muscles and it feels so good when I stop, heartrate about max.

My first real roadbike was a early 1980's Trek with an oval crankset. That bike asked you to stand. I could ride hills standing the whole way that I won't do even a little bit now. Sold it about 15 years back as it was too stretched out for me, but the longer downstroke on an oval compels you to stand. Granted I was 15 years younger.
Old 10-25-20, 12:53 PM
Pinelander
Roadie

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
I rarely stand. I just maintain a cadence and drop gears. As someone said, standing gives some muscles a break and I may try to incorporate it more.
Old 10-25-20, 01:33 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
One of the reasons I like to have a singlespeed in addition to a geared bike. I don't stand much on my 1x11 gravel rig(in fact I just put an even lower granny on it), but when I take out the singlespeed and hit the same routes it is obviously a whole different experience and workout. I love it--keeps me fresh and feeling balanced.
Old 10-25-20, 02:02 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I stand more on flatter rides than I do on hillier rides. On flatter rides I’m not changing the pedaling position as much and my butt needs more breaks. When I was doing the 100 milers on the Natchez Parkway, later in the ride I’d stand at every mike marker and pedal for about 1/10 of a mile.

When doing long, hilly rides that have longish climbs, I will stand every half mile to break things up. Getting to the next half mile takes my mind off the full length of the climb.
Old 10-26-20, 02:52 PM
Gary in NJ

Bikes: 2020 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.3, 2015 Trek FrankenMarlin Gravel Thing

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 31 Posts
I hope I'm not too late to chime in.

I was a stander. I have a post on here somewhere asking for advice on if standing is correct. With a 50/50 response rate (pro/con) I didn't seem to learn anything until someone posted - "why don't you try it both ways and see what works for you". So over a period of 4 weeks I included the same climb (550' over a 2.1 mile run) on my rides. I timed myself standing on the hard parts (the sections over 10%) using a bike computer for a few rides and had consistent results. Then I attacked the same hill, fighting the urge to stand. The first time out my time was better. Over the course of a few weeks it continued to improve as I became a better climber. At the end of four weeks I went back to standing and found that the time was exactly what it was four weeks earlier.

My conclusion, you can get more long-term power to the wheel by spinning at a medium-high cadence in a low gear (for me around 85 rpm) than you can standing in a higher gear at 70 rpm (I really can't stand and get much over 72 rpm). Moreover, when I get to the top of the hill (or through several hundred yards at 12-15%) I have more power and my heart rate is lower than if I stood. Standing requires more recovery.

The only time I stand now is for acceleration in too a high gear from a standstill, on a roller hill where I don't feel like down-shifting or for butt relief.
Likes For Gary in NJ:
Old 10-26-20, 04:23 PM
1saxman

Bikes: Trek 930 (1992), Motobecane Hybrid w/juice brakes, spring fork and Shimano 8-spd hub.

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
At 75, I haven't thought much about standing since I got back into cycling, and one day out on the trail with my biking buddy, he allowed as to how he has never been able to stand on the pedals. That was when I realized that I had somehow lost the ability to stand that I once took for granted. So naturally I started trying to get back into it. I can do it now but not well - I can stand with the crank arms horizontal at basically any speed and I can hunker down for aero with my butt on the top tube but I'm still not able to make the switch to standing and pedaling while ascending. I'm continuing to work on it but I'll admit I really don't know why its a problem now. It doesn't seem to be a physical problem - apparently I have to build confidence in the procedure, but it mystifies me how I lost the knack for it.
Old 10-27-20, 01:22 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4555 Post(s)
Liked 2,791 Times in 1,795 Posts
When my legs got strong enough to stand to pedal for climbs and sprints, I noticed my balance was terrible. That turned out to be mostly related to the short stems I preferred for comfort while seated.

Switching to longer stems helped with my balance. Lowering the stem a bit helped too. Much more stable, even when I'm in the drops while standing to climb hills.

But that introduced a whole nuther set of challenges, especially neck and back flexibility with the extended reach.
Old 10-27-20, 05:15 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
As a side, standing to pedal on a bike loaded with bags can be a LOT different!! It takes getting used to balancing.....but it might also Deleon where the bags are located.
Old 10-27-20, 10:18 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 936 Post(s)
Liked 1,951 Times in 557 Posts
I actually like standing. It uses different muscles than sitting, and gives the old undercarriage a break once in a while.

How long can I stand? I just stand until I feel like sitting, which would be typically 0.1-0.2 mile or so. Some time ago, I did an entire ride of about 12 miles doing nothing but standing, but there were stoplights and the like where I could get off the bike and rest. It can be pretty tiring to the upper body.

The technique when standing is to choose just the right gear so your body weight does all the work. Given that, your legs really shouldn't get tired. Your arms, shoulders and hands ... that is another matter. People who do a lot of climbing on fixies know all about standing for long periods.

Old 10-27-20, 10:29 AM
Richard Cranium

Bikes: 2003 LeMond -various other junk bikes

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 34 Posts
I've never really tried to stand for longer than necessary. And I would argue that simply saying "standing" while riding doesn't really describe a single aspect rider posture.

In other words - your questions ignore at least one important distinction of non-seated bicycle propulsion.

In some conditions I will stand and pedal to gain additional leverage - using handlebars with an upward force - to incerase pedal pressure.
I also stand while "leaning" on my handlebars. In this case, I could probably ride for a long period.
Old 10-28-20, 12:03 AM
Jumpski

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV disk, and rim brake

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 60 Posts
I guess the whole standing vs seated while climbing etc. is a comfort thing. I have ways climbed while seated. It just works for me. I stand on occasion for a short period of time to stretch.
Old 10-28-20, 09:25 AM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
I stand for long stretches when I'm with my riding buddies who don't climb quite as well... so I get a strength workout grinding in a bigger gear while maintaining a slower speed to match their sit and spin aerobic workout speed.
I also stand frequently just to change positions and break things up during really long climbs... which is about all I do... well, the same climb over and over.
Similar to me. I ride uphill past the City cathedral, past the Grammar School, stood up. HR around 150; a guess. Can't get enough; it makes up for not being/feeling able to go to the gym.
The climb levels out when you get to the park gates; slight descent then it's uphill again over the motorway bridge; sharp steep left, continues steeply swinging right to the farm at the top. I'm stood up on all the uphill bits and I'm pulling a higher gear now.
My legs mightn't look so good these days, but they've never worked better.
I guess there could be danger in this way of thinking. particulalrly when my City is one of the highest Covid infected. I'd probably be safer in the Gym.
I love my addictions! . . .
Old 10-28-20, 05:34 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark
So I want to ask the group about how long you can stand and continuously pedal? I guess another way to look at it is something liking climbing but this is not climbing question. For me to stand and pedal such as a long gradual rise of the road, which is the best conditions for out of the saddle to me, I can pedal about 30-40 reps then I get pretty out of sync. I can simply then stand a bit and coast and start back but to continuously pedal out of the saddle seems like there is a limit. I wonder if anyone else has any thoughts or how they ride.

The reason is that it seems to me that as I age I find standing to pedal harder to stay smooth and balanced for lengths of time. I don't watch much cycling but I have seen situation where riders are out of the saddle for a length of time. For me I could not imagine continuous pedaling for say even 1/2 mile.
Fresh legs, low cadence, long time- minutes, say.
Tired legs, high cadence- about 2 seconds.
Highly variable.
Fitness (both amount of muscle and weight) have a lot to do with it.
Old 10-28-20, 08:04 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4555 Post(s)
Liked 2,791 Times in 1,795 Posts
I think I was motivated to improve my ability to pedal while standing by watching the gym room at the Y during a water break on a group ride. I saw a somewhat overweight middle aged guy killing it on the stepper machine and thought, "Yeah... I can do that. It'll just take some work."

So instead of thinking in terms of the usual stuff about cycling -- speed, efficiency, conservation of energy, etc. -- I started thinking of it as a rolling stepper machine. I'd set goals for time and/or distance while standing to pedal, followed by sitting and easy pedaling to recover, then repeating until the legs were on fire.

I quit worrying about my speed on segments or average overall speed, and only focused on getting stronger. Just changing my mindset helped.

Also, I quit listening to younger coaches/trainers who never rode 5-speed or 7-speed steel road bikes with 52/42 chainrings and 13-26 "mountain" gearing. Most of the 30something or younger YouTube experts have never ridden bikes like that, so they don't understand why the old school racers did that rock 'n' roll slow cadence, using lots of body english to grunt up climbs. The young guys would emphasize sitting and spinning -- which is only possible with a 34T small chainring and/or 28T or larger rear cog. I defy anyone to ride seated up a double digit grade in a 42T chainring and 24T rear cog without rocking side to side or to and fro.

And when I revisited those classic Tour de France videos, especially with Greg LeMond, it's obvious that the bikes of that era, with the harder gearing, forced them to be in and out of the saddle constantly on rolling terrain. LeMond often switched it up, standing to stomp the pedals to maintain or regain momentum. In his prime he was my size now (I'm 5'11", 150 lbs), as were his main rivals, around 5'8"-6', 140-150 lbs, and most of them were in and out of the saddle. Nobody was telling them they were doing it wrong.

Switching between the three methods -- seated spinning 90-100 rpm in easy gears, and grinding big gears at 50-60 rpm, and standing to stomp big gears at 40-50 rpm -- did more to strengthen my legs and lungs.

I do have a lighter carbon fiber bike with easier gearing and do occasionally do exclusively seated spinning in easy gears. But with age that gets harder rather than easier. For some of us, we retain raw strength longer than respiratory capacity, so sometimes it's easier to stand and stomp the pedals, as long as the legs are properly conditioned.

I also do more walking now and some light weight lifting, using 20-40 lbs for squats and lunges. It all helps.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 10-28-20, 08:48 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 3,832 Times in 2,492 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
As a side, standing to pedal on a bike loaded with bags can be a LOT different!! It takes getting used to balancing.....but it might also Deleon where the bags are located.
If you climb regularly with a load, consider front panniers and low rider racks. I spent years shopping, etc with a fix gear. 40 pounds in low rider panniers uphill is not big deal at all (except 40 extra pounds uphill on a fix gear always is! )
Old 10-29-20, 02:28 PM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
If you climb regularly with a load, consider front panniers and low rider racks. I spent years shopping, etc with a fix gear. 40 pounds in low rider panniers uphill is not big deal at all (except 40 extra pounds uphill on a fix gear always is! )
Had a good laugh ... I only wish the 30 or so "extra" pounds that I carry would be at the level of a low rider rack. Unfortunately it's mostly around my waist, and I know all about carrying the extra weight up hills.

As to standing while pedaling, the actual thread topic, I prefer to sit, particularly while climbing, except for the occasional break to the sit bones and also to maintain speed on the small rollers.
Likes For h2oxtc:
Old 11-11-20, 12:59 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 5,367 Times in 2,798 Posts
It is documented that some guy rode from San Francisco to L.A. standing the entire time. Had the seat and post removed. Think it was a world record. Why? To break a record.

Read recently that if one takes it easy on climbs, no mashing the pedals in a high gear or standing, one will have more in reserves for longer rides. Duh. At 65, 66 next month, I still like to attack short hills out of the saddle and start from stops, usually standing to get the momentum up. Some evenings at home I regret it walking up the last flight of stairs, but it sure feels good at the time. Sometimes it takes so much out of me that the next days ride is crappy, so I take it easy. But I always like feeling like I am getting stronger.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-13-20, 11:20 AM
daneh

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Di2

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I think I have seen that pedal stroking by Annemiek van Vleuten....she points her toe down after cresting the top. I hate those jerky sections....very brief but annoying as heck. I don't seem to get those when I low cadence.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.