Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Someone explain to me these handlebar bags that I keep seeing

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Someone explain to me these handlebar bags that I keep seeing

Old 09-17-20, 06:46 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
You can put your weed in there.
Old 09-17-20, 06:54 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
If a handlebar bag is all that's needed to ride their favorite bike to and from work, then why not.
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Old 09-17-20, 06:57 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by kimconyc
OK this makes the most sense. This has so be some sort of IG "influencer" thing.

I hope for all of your sakes that this trend doesn't catch on.

These are not commuters. They are newer riders with disc brake high end bikes, Rapha or some other high-end IG-kit, wearing skin suits or race clothing yet having this wonky bag in the front.

I've seen several of these riders taking selfies while riding in said above kit. I'm not on social media so trying to find out about this and what the deal is...
How do you know they're not commuters?
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 09-17-20, 07:02 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12637 Post(s)
Liked 7,529 Times in 3,990 Posts

This is the sort of thing I'm talking about. What are people storing in there for their road bikes? Bitcoins?
Best way to carry lunch and a rain shell.
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 09-17-20, 07:27 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Best way to carry lunch and a rain shell.
Kind of kills any aero.
Old 09-17-20, 07:47 PM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
My road bike and gravel bike have handle bar bags. There for putting stuff in. Rain coats, lunch, phones. You get the idea.
Likes For Gconan:
Old 09-17-20, 08:04 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
Kind of kills any aero.
It might not be too bad, since it's blocking wind for a big chunk of flesh.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-17-20, 08:07 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 365 Posts
It's for those people who ride further than you do.
Old 09-17-20, 08:18 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by znomit
It's for those people who ride further than you do.
I've done centuries with my usuall stuff. But I did bring extra cash so I can stop and buy food and water.

The OP specifically said "aero bike" so a bag like that is out of place.
Old 09-17-20, 08:27 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

I've done centuries with my usuall stuff. But I did bring extra cash so I can stop and buy food and water.

I reckon a lot of Brooklynites only got room for one bicycle in their apartment, might not even have a big enough place that they'd want a spare non-aero wheelset to go with their non-aero bag. Bar bags such as the ones pictured here are easy-on, easy-off. Sure a trunk bag or a small bikepacking style saddle bag might be more aero, but not as easily mounted/unmounted.
Old 09-17-20, 10:04 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
These things are great for solo, unsupported rides in no-man's land. You know...places without shops, taxis/Uber, or cell service.

It does seem a bit overkill for riding in more of an urban area with shops, taxis/Uber, and cell service. I can see it if folks are using them because they want to take a longer ride on the fun bike but would prefer not to go in a shop or ride in a stranger's vehicle in the present climate.

IG seems like a more reasonable culprit. I don't know what happens there, but from what I understand, it's nothing good.
Old 09-17-20, 10:10 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

It’s for people who ride for longer than you too, without stopping.
Likes For znomit:
Old 09-17-20, 10:19 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
BQ did a wind tunnel test which found that aero drag was not increased by a bar bag because frontal area is not changed. https://www.renehersecycles.com/aero...orld-bicycles/

Bar bags turned out to create less drag than large saddle bags.
Old 09-17-20, 10:41 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Makes sense. So you're not just going out for a ride.

If it wasn't Covid, i'd stop someone and ask to see inside. Yes, I am that creepy guy.
From what I read, covid-19 put a bit of a damper on buying food and water in NYC convenience markets/bodegas for a while. Many riders probably switched from group rides to solo rides, so you can't just pop into a store while your buddy watches your bike. Easier to pack all food/drink needed for the ride.

One possible reason for increased bar bag usage this year.
Old 09-17-20, 11:00 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Don't understand the surprise of them being on aero bikes, does anyone make a non-aero road or gravel bike with at least a 40mm rim? Seems like the thing all the brands have been pushing the last few years is aero everything from handlebars, stems, posts, rims, frames, spokes, etc. My favorite aluminum rim is 28mm deep and barely weights more then my old open pros at least according to my scale so even my touring and cross bikes are more aero then they would have been 10 years ago.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 09-17-20, 11:53 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
BQ did a wind tunnel test which found that aero drag was not increased by a bar bag because frontal area is not changed. https://www.renehersecycles.com/aero...orld-bicycles/

Bar bags turned out to create less drag than large saddle bags.
They also save you a ton of time by not having to find somewhere to park and get off the bike to fossick around in the seat bag for that gillet/warmer/cookie/gel whatever.
Likes For znomit:
Old 09-18-20, 04:21 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
I can't understand why someone would get their panties in a bunch about what someone else has on their bicycle? Life doesn't bring them regular/real problems and this is all they have to work on? I'll take that deal.
Old 09-18-20, 04:45 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
These things are great for solo, unsupported rides in no-man's land. You know...places without shops, taxis/Uber, or cell service.

It does seem a bit overkill for riding in more of an urban area with shops, taxis/Uber, and cell service. I can see it if folks are using them because they want to take a longer ride on the fun bike but would prefer not to go in a shop or ride in a stranger's vehicle in the present climate.

IG seems like a more reasonable culprit. I don't know what happens there, but from what I understand, it's nothing good.
I agree. However in the early 80s when I lived on my bike, meaning that I almost never drove my auto, I had a big handle bar bag, like you would use on a touring bike, but I used it on my everyday bike, which was also my race bike because that was all I could afford. I would have change of clothing for work, some food in necessary, some office papers if necessary, and even a small medical kit. It was like a small day pack and very handy. But today with people using a gravel bike-treking bag on their road bike, hey what ever works for them...
Likes For Fox Farm:
Old 09-18-20, 05:04 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts

This is the sort of thing I'm talking about. What are people storing in there for their road bikes? Bitcoins?
I used this type of bag combined with a bikepacking saddle bag to commute to work while carrying my clothes, shoes, towel, a sandwitch, lunch, and sometimes even a can of cola (which was nicely chilled when I arrived at the office on winter).

I started to use bikepacking bags when my back started to protest about carrying everything on a backpack for 60km and 1000m of ascent twice a week.

In the end I got tired of fiddling with the bags, as they're "complicated" and slow to mount, and require careful attention to avoid cable rub on the frame. So before I started working from home in the epidemic, I was carrying everything by car on mondays and retrieving it on fridays, while riding without additional weight the rest of the week.
Likes For Amt0571:
Old 09-18-20, 05:06 AM
NumbersGuy

Bikes: Fairlight Strael 3.0 Ultegra Di2

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 55 Posts

Kinda like a climbing bike is out of place on Long Island?
Likes For NumbersGuy:
Old 09-18-20, 05:43 AM
fujidon

Bikes: Fuji Pro, Raleigh Team, touring bike, hybrid

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts
I've been riding solo since March as an extra level of caution. It wouldn't make sense for me to avoid riding with others and to then stop in a store for lunch/snack/water.

So I carry extra water (regular water bottle and a 1.5 liter bottle) and very often my lunch. When I bring my lunch, it goes in a small handlebar bag. I have also stopped at a curbside pickup sub shop, put my sub in the handlebar bag and ridden to a park to enjoy my lunch.

Stopping for lunch like this is new for me this year, but I've grown to look forward to it and sometimes plan my ride purposely based on my lunch stop. When I feel comfortable doing group rides again, I'll probably lose the handlebar bag.
Old 09-18-20, 06:15 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,875 Times in 4,639 Posts
OP: if you really want to know what people are carrying in those handlebar bags, why don’t you just ask?
Likes For Koyote:
Old 09-18-20, 06:36 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
It always amazes me how much people care about what other people are doing.
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 09-18-20, 06:47 AM
roadiejorge 
stole your bike

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Ridley Compact

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Hi all,

So I've been out of the scene for years and decided to come back to the source known as BF for the answers. This is not a troll post, very serious here.

Background: Used to ride a lot, still ride a lot but not as much. Working from home the last 6 months has allowed me to ride my bike in the morning whereas I was riding to work before.

The disc brake trend I knew about and that's a can of worms for another thread but what's up with all these people running aero bikes and 50mm+ deep carbon rims running this cylindrical handlebar bag?

Is this a thing now? Is this from IG? Where did this stupidity originate?

Long time no see....since the MTIR days. Glad to hear you're riding again. I was in the same boat as you regarding the cycling consistency due to back issues which I've finally sorted out. I've been riding again in the mornings with my new found morning time too. Do you still make it up to the old 9W haunts?
Old 09-18-20, 06:51 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
From what I read, covid-19 put a bit of a damper on buying food and water in NYC convenience markets/bodegas for a while. Many riders probably switched from group rides to solo rides, so you can't just pop into a store while your buddy watches your bike. Easier to pack all food/drink needed for the ride.

One possible reason for increased bar bag usage this year.
Actually things are pretty good on Long Island with the infection rate is well below 1% for 36 straight days. If you know the area you can find places to refill your water bottles. While i've not needed to go into a deli for food, I carry 2 gels a banana and granola bar in my jersey pockets, if you have a mask you can stop and take food out.
Likes For GlennR:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.