Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Neck pain

Old 09-18-20, 10:28 AM
Shamrock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Neck pain

Anyone have an exercise to help rear neck pain while riding a road bike?
Old 09-18-20, 01:56 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
  1. Chin Tucks: Begin by lying flat on your back with a soft pillow under your head. First gently press the back of your head into the pillow as you tuck your chin in, as if you’re making a double chin, hold for 10 seconds then relax, repeat 10-20 times. If this is easy practice against a wall while doing a wall sit
  2. I’s, T’s and Y’s: Lying flat on your stomach, across a swiss ball or end of bed or couch, place your hands at your side (I) out to the side at shoulder height with thumbs up (T’s) or above your head and out to the side (Y’s). The focus of the movement is to move your shoulder blades not so much your arms, squeeze your shoulder blades together and squeeze for 10-15 seconds and relax, repeat 10-20x in each position. The Y’s will be the hardest so start with less reps here and advance as it becomes easier. While lying on your stomach focus on good posture through your entire spine all the way to the top of your head.
I found these, as well as some stretches and other advice HERE. For me, a shorter and taller stem helped more than anything, but my days of being comfortable with drop bars are probably numbered.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 09-18-20, 03:49 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3866 Post(s)
Liked 1,911 Times in 1,362 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
  1. Chin Tucks: Begin by lying flat on your back with a soft pillow under your head. First gently press the back of your head into the pillow as you tuck your chin in, as if you’re making a double chin, hold for 10 seconds then relax, repeat 10-20 times. If this is easy practice against a wall while doing a wall sit
  2. I’s, T’s and Y’s: Lying flat on your stomach, across a swiss ball or end of bed or couch, place your hands at your side (I) out to the side at shoulder height with thumbs up (T’s) or above your head and out to the side (Y’s). The focus of the movement is to move your shoulder blades not so much your arms, squeeze your shoulder blades together and squeeze for 10-15 seconds and relax, repeat 10-20x in each position. The Y’s will be the hardest so start with less reps here and advance as it becomes easier. While lying on your stomach focus on good posture through your entire spine all the way to the top of your head.
I found these, as well as some stretches and other advice HERE. For me, a shorter and taller stem helped more than anything, but my days of being comfortable with drop bars are probably numbered.
Your link didn't work for me - not complete. Try Rausch Physical Therapy & Sports Performance - Rausch Physical Therapy & Sports Performance

Another thing to try is using a mirror. In the standard road position, hands on hoods, look in the mirror and make your back straight from your shorts top to your neck. This will require rotating your pelvis forward, which will also activate your glutes and further help your cycling. Thus because your back won't dip down to your neck, your back/neck angle will be smaller and your neck won't hurt. I'm 75 and have done rides up to 18 hours without neck pain. I use a relatively low position and have had clip-ons on my road bike for 20 years.
Old 09-18-20, 04:04 PM
Rolla

I can't get your link to work for me. Type in rauschpt.net/cycling-neck-pain
Old 09-18-20, 04:16 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8148 Post(s)
Liked 8,800 Times in 4,368 Posts
Originally Posted by Shamrock
Anyone have an exercise to help rear neck pain while riding a road bike?
How much drop from your saddle to the top of the bar? When I was younger I could use a 4 inch drop, now only about 1 inch or a little more.
Certain glasses cause me neck pain because I have to raise my head higher to see under the frames.

Last edited by big john; 09-18-20 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09-18-20, 07:04 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

I can't get your link to work for me. Type in rauschpt.net/cycling-neck-pain
Yeah, weird. It worked when I first posted it as I'm sure it did for your post, but not now. As you say, typing it in works. Some issue with their server setup.
Old 09-18-20, 10:09 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

I should mention that the photo at the top of the linked page is exactly what NOT to do, with the horribly rounded upper back and upward craned neck. Neck pain in a photo, right there.
Old 09-19-20, 06:06 AM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 233 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
...Another thing to try is using a mirror.
YES! I used to suffer nearly-debilitating neck pain just from turning my head around every few seconds. I installed a bar-end mirror and have not experienced ANY biking-induced neck pain since then. Sometimes it's the simplest solutions...
Old 09-19-20, 06:34 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 2,192 Times in 1,234 Posts
I do chin tucks every day . Sometimes while driving just as the previous person mentioned. . While keeping my back straight and shoulders back I move as if trying to make a double chin and hold for 5-10 seconds , relax. After a few days , you should see more tolerance for cycling and side to side flexibility can be done the same way. Just slowly turn your head to the side and hold , do both directions, don't do this while driving! Just remember , it is like any other stretching exercise, take it slow and don't move quickly. It is more isometric than anything else , not building muscle as much as gaining flexibility. I have a lot of experience because for 46 years I have been doing repetitive motions while leaned over manual grinding machines. I have been to P.T. a few times and if you do the exercises it works, especially the neck. It has been my experience the neck responds a lot quicker than say a bad shoulder or back.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 09-19-20, 08:44 AM
Shamrock

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the replies, I did buy new glasses Ill try the old ones..I didn't think bike fit because I've had my bikes for years.I'll adjust the bars and see what happens.I'll also incorporate these exercises into my routine.I'm really in a pickle, in a week I have 6 family members going on a 30 mile bike ride [2 from out of state] and right now I don't think I can complete it. I will dust off the mountain bike and try that too.
Old 09-19-20, 10:21 AM
Rolla

Another simple but effective tip: if you wear a cycling cap under your helmet, flip the visor up.
Old 09-19-20, 06:05 PM
Shamrock

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Did some exercises put the mountain bike back on the road.In the saddle for two hours neck pain 3 0ut of 10,better than road bike pain 9 out of 10. So I guess it is a fit problem.I will work on it.Without this forum the bike would be parked in the garage.It was nice to be on the mountain bike again.I rode a path I noticed years ago but never tried .It goes behind two cemeteries and a lake.Im begining to think I had more time for activities when I was working than now in this retirement phase.I look at a house job and say 3 hours in reality 4 or 5 days.Anybody remember Uncle Joe from Petticoat Junction I may have turned into him
Old 09-20-20, 12:51 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4555 Post(s)
Liked 2,793 Times in 1,796 Posts
Very familiar problem. My neck was broken in 2001, permanent C1-C2 damage, and reinjured when I was hit by a car in 2018.

All of the above advice, especially the home physical therapy. I spent 2-3 months in a PT clinic last year, 2-3 days a week, and continue to do most of the exercises I was shown. But I've slacked off the past month and I can feel it now -- increased stiffness, less flexibility, more chronic pain, slower on most rides. I was so tired after hot summer rides I just skipped the home exercises. But now that the weather has cooled a bit I can do both.

I use a percussion massager and topical analgesics too. Very helpful on the neck and shoulders.

Ditto, bike fit. I just built up a new-to-me road bike frame, and noticed some very minor fit differences add up to significant comfort differences during and after rides. I can't duplicate the bike fits because the frame geometry and cranks are slightly different. So I use a tape measure to get the fit as close as possible to my most comfortable road bike, then tweak the new bike a little each ride.
Old 09-28-20, 06:05 PM
Shamrock

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Grand time had by all

Rode the 32.25 mile family event. My son, son-in-law,niece and nephew joined in two from out of state. We all had a good experience and want to do it again.We get together for weddings birthdays but never for athletic events. Hope this is the start of something. Thanks again for the neck exercises they helped.
Old 10-25-20, 01:01 PM
Pinelander
Roadie

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
Another vote for a rear view mirror.