Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Is there a danger to using a larger hub without cold setting?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 09-18-20, 09:47 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 512 Posts

Putting a pair of newer 700s on an a 70s Motobecane and had to spread the frame slightly to get the axle into the dropouts. It wasn't much and I was able to do it quickly while dropping the wheel in, so not too much force. I had a bike in which this was the case with the fork and never had an issue. Is the rear something to be more concerned about?
Old 09-18-20, 10:17 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
For me, it just makes things more complicated and kludged. It's usually not difficult to spread a steel frame a few mm's.
Old 09-18-20, 10:36 PM
Chris Chicago

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
Cold set it and realign the drops , so if one of the dropouts snap away from the stays a year from now, you won't wonder if it's because you cut corners.

don't ask me how I know
Likes For Chris Chicago:
Old 09-18-20, 11:22 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Yes. Broken axles and the tracking will be off.
Old 09-18-20, 11:25 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
Take some measurements of the actual frame spacing compared to the over locknut spacing of your wheel. If the difference is 2 mm or less this is a non issue
Old 09-19-20, 01:03 AM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 512 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Take some measurements of the actual frame spacing compared to the over locknut spacing of your wheel. If the difference is 2 mm or less this is a non issue
Guessing this is overall, not 2mm on either side?
Old 09-19-20, 06:43 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 819 Posts
Originally Posted by polymorphself
Guessing this is overall, not 2mm on either side?
I wouldn't say it's a hard-and-fast number, but as you approach 2mm per side / 4mm total, you really should think about cold-setting and ensuring that the rear dropouts remain parallel. I have broken 3 rear axles over the years, and in one case my rear triangle may have contributed -- hard to say.

Ironically, this is the one place much-maligned stamped rear dropouts shine over forged, because they are at least a bit bendable. Forged dropouts are unforgiving under severe triangle spreading.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 09-19-20, 06:56 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
I think the intention of the “over-locknut” distance is that it is measured from dropout to dropout or from locknut to locknut.
Old 09-19-20, 08:23 AM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 294 Posts
I’m sure the science of it suggests there is. In practice though, I believe you’re fine at 2mm per side. Many people here, including myself, have done it for years.
Likes For plonz:
Old 09-19-20, 10:01 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by polymorphself
Putting a pair of newer 700s on an a 70s Motobecane and had to spread the frame slightly to get the axle into the dropouts. It wasn't much and I was able to do it quickly while dropping the wheel in, so not too much force. I had a bike in which this was the case with the fork and never had an issue. Is the rear something to be more concerned about?
Although it doesn’t apply to your bike, some frames were made for transitional times. For example, my 2003 and 2011 Cannondale touring bikes came with 132.5mm OLD on the frame so that they could be used with both 135mm and 130mm hubs. Some mid-90s mountain bikes were made the same way.

From a practical standpoint, I doubt it makes much difference. I’ve put 140mm hubs into 135mm aluminum and titanium frames without problems. It’s difficult to get the wheel into place but ride-wise, it’s not a problem. The aluminum is far less springy than steel.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 09-19-20, 05:32 PM
pcb 

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 286 Posts
There were plenty of factory bikes with 128mm spacing to work OK with older 126mm or the very-new-at-the-time 130mm spacing. Note that you're talking spreading/squeezing 2mm total, and by that time those bikes were sold new with cassette hubs, and cassette hub axles are more resistant to breaking than freewheel hub axles.

More than 2mm spread total, especially with a freewheel hub, you're better off cold-setting and realigning the dropouts. Doesn't mean the entire rear end will asplode if you don't, but it will minimize the chances of damaging the frame, axle and/or bearings.

It's also nicer being able to remove/install the rear wheel without having to monkey with the stays. Especially when you're late, or in a hurry, or have a flat when it's cold/wet/etc out.

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Although it doesn’t apply to your bike, some frames were made for transitional times. For example, my 2003 and 2011 Cannondale touring bikes came with 132.5mm OLD on the frame so that they could be used with both 135mm and 130mm hubs. Some mid-90s mountain bikes were made the same way.

From a practical standpoint, I doubt it makes much difference. I’ve put 140mm hubs into 135mm aluminum and titanium frames without problems. It’s difficult to get the wheel into place but ride-wise, it’s not a problem. The aluminum is far less springy than steel.
Old 09-21-20, 09:11 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by pcb
There were plenty of factory bikes with 128mm spacing to work OK with older 126mm or the very-new-at-the-time 130mm spacing. Note that you're talking spreading/squeezing 2mm total, and by that time those bikes were sold new with cassette hubs, and cassette hub axles are more resistant to breaking than freewheel hub axles.

More than 2mm spread total, especially with a freewheel hub, you're better off cold-setting and realigning the dropouts. Doesn't mean the entire rear end will asplode if you don't, but it will minimize the chances of damaging the frame, axle and/or bearings.

It's also nicer being able to remove/install the rear wheel without having to monkey with the stays. Especially when you're late, or in a hurry, or have a flat when it's cold/wet/etc out.
Frankly, I wouldn’t use a freewheel hub on anything. I’ve broken far too many freewheel axles and I’ve worked on too many broken freewheel axles to trust them.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-21-20, 09:17 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 610 Posts
I have 4 126 mm bikes with "jammed-in" 130 mm wheels. 1 1985 Cannondale, and 3 steel bike.
No explosions so far.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html