Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Lock your damn bikes!!!

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Lock your damn bikes!!!

Old 09-23-20, 10:13 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
No room for bikes...

Old 09-23-20, 10:29 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
No room for bikes...

I never would have imagined a member named 'woodcraft' would have a wood shop in their basement.
By far, the neatest workshop I've seen was a luthier's workshop. His stock storage room smelled heavenly.
Old 09-23-20, 01:23 PM
Batstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Here you go. Bikes are on the wall in front of the Jeep. Helmets, CrockPot, and miscellaneous bike stuff on the work bench. Pump and work stand above the left cabinet. Bike rack is on the floor. Above the Jeep is an electric hoist for the roof.

Hah, we have the same cabinets! I don't have spiffy floors though. Nice.
Our bikes and other related items occupy a section at the front of the garage. I must admit that having slat wall covering all sides of the structure makes it easier to shuffle things around. It’s hard enough to keep stuff off the floor even at the best of times so almost everything else is on wheels. To prevent prying eyes, I rarely keep the overhead doors open even for short stints. During these trying times, we have been staying close to home and always disable power to the doors whenever we are away.

Old 09-23-20, 01:38 PM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9648 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
I've been happy with the Gladiator products. Your garage is well organized. Like you, I hate stuff on the floor. I would prefer all enclosed cabinets, but between pool and boat gear, the shelves are a better fit for our needs.
Old 09-23-20, 01:38 PM
Rhondito

Bikes: 2020 Giant Advanced Revolt 2; 2019 Cannondale Synapse; 2017 Cannondale Habit Lefty; 2010 Blue RD1 (retired)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts
I have new neighbors on the corner of my street and they have two bikes hanging on the wall of their garage. They leave their garage door open with no one home. It makes me so twitchy.
Old 09-23-20, 03:10 PM
SVTNate
Packers Fan

Bikes: 2010 Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 30 Posts

Similar to Mojo (albeit smaller), my garage is spotless, drywalled, painted, epoxy floored, baseboards, with nice LED lighting.

The Roubaix lives on a Park Tool stand in front of the BMW.

My garage is closed unless I'm out there.

If I had a multitude of bikes, I have a room in the house where they could live.
Old 09-23-20, 03:26 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
People are still using their garages for cars? What a concept! Everyone here just parks in the driveway.
Yes. Garages are for the N+1. I moved my garage queen out to wax it, and suddenly the space where it fits was full.
Old 09-23-20, 03:58 PM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by SVTNate

Similar to Mojo (albeit smaller), my garage is spotless, drywalled, painted, epoxy floored, baseboards, with nice LED lighting.

The Roubaix lives on a Park Tool stand in front of the BMW.

My garage is closed unless I'm out there.

If I had a multitude of bikes, I have a room in the house where they could live.

Looks like the same floor product - polyaspartic coating?
Old 09-23-20, 04:55 PM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
!

Here you go. Bikes are on the wall in front of the Jeep. Helmets, CrockPot, and miscellaneous bike stuff on the work bench. Pump and work stand above the left cabinet. Bike rack is on the floor. Above the Jeep is an electric hoist for the roof.

The other side doesn't have anything that can fall on the car.

Wife left for work so her car is gone. Floor is dirty because it's been raining since Monday and we park in the garage. Photos on the wall are a couple of my past cars.
Great! There you go!
My problem is that I’m like a gold fish...bigger tank...bigger gold fish!
Old 09-23-20, 05:49 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
My only bike that was stolen WAS LOCKED! In the bike rack at my high school - which (unfortunately) was right outside the 'Shop class' windows and in the faculty parking lot... Go figure... 1974 Fuji 'Special Tourer' F9B18529. Stolen Sept 1974. Do i ever trust a lock? No. It might discourage the casual ride-away, but against a determined- or prepared thief? No lock is safe!!!
Old 09-23-20, 07:13 PM
Kat12

Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 279 Posts
Most garage thefts are a result of leaving the door open. Don't leave the door open. "Open" includes one that is easy to open from the outside, whether the garage door or a separate side door.

Here is something I learned from our local police chief - don't leave your garage door opener visible inside your car that is parked in your driveway or on the street. Thieves will walk through neighborhoods looking for them. When they see one, they will pop out a window, and then use the opener to access the house or garage.
Seriously. If putting something in a locked garage or storage unit isn't secure enough, how is a little bike lock on top of that going to help?

Now, if you just leave it sitting out... that's a different story. That's up there with the people who say their laptop/phone/$1000 they just got out of the bank was stolen from their unlocked car (I am flabbergasted at how many such stories I read each time the local paper comes out). Locking a car isn't even a pain in the rear like locking a bike can be!

Originally Posted by LV2TNDM
Thieves are lazy and stupid by nature, so they tend to go for the soft targets (thus my rant about unlocked "beloved" bikes sitting around). Like the saying, "You don't have to outrun the bear, just ONE of your friends!" Ergo, your bike lock doesn't have to be the best, just better than those around you. Now I'm not advocating for those with cheaper locks deserving theft, but you simply have to make the odds in your favor.
Pretty much. There's a reason why, when I ride my bike to do errands in our downtown area, that I lock up at the library... there are usually a few bikes besides mine there to choose from, and many of them have crappier locks than I do or aren't locked at all. Just improving the odds.

Originally Posted by bruce19
Exactly like my Boxer. I love her to death but as a guard dog she's useless.
LOL. That's why I tend to shake my head at people who say "You should get a dog for security!" The pets of most people I know aren't trained guard dogs (what if you have the type who will hide behind the couch when a bad guy breaks in?), plus the people would be crushed if some bad guy walked in and shot their dog...
Likes For Kat12:
Old 09-24-20, 12:24 AM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 129 Posts
Good discussion. Thanks y'all!

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Like countless others who live in major urban centers, I don’t have a garage. Bikes go in the house. Never on the back deck.
I managed an LBS in San Francisco. You wouldn't believe how many people came in to replace the bicycle stolen by the thief who robbed their apartment. This surprised me at how common it was. Bicycles are great getaway vehicles in the city after robbing a place. How nice to supply the thief with wheels to ride to the nearest fence, pawn or shop shop. This was the early and mid 90's. Prior to this, my college roommate used to laugh at me locking my bike to my desk in my apartment. I felt sheepish. After the SF stint, I realized how smart I had been locking my bike up in my room. I never had the chance to tell my roommate he was full of **** and bikes are stolen out of houses ALL THE TIME. I know I verge on (or past) the edge of paranoia and that's fine. Dad kinda taught me to expect the worst. Plus, a starving college kid doesn't have the $500 or $1,000 lying around to cover just the homeowner's insurance deductible, so I locked my bike to my desk. I had already lost my first bike (thanks partly to the terrible advice from a local locksmith). So locking it where you leave it is simply smart. Leaving the lock on the floor next to your bike isn't.

And to the camouflage comment (I forgot to answer): One of my most beloved bikes IS CAMOUFLAGE!!!! So funny that you said that! Joke's on you then! This is one of the bikes I'm most concerned about losing. But specifically to your point... Problem is, it's DESERT camouflage, so it sticks out like a sore thumb in the city. Ironically, I had it painted in 1990 and after the Iraq War, everyone who saw it said, "Cool bike man; DESERT STORM!" Why fight it? The name stuck. The third Cannondale frame warranty and I even had it custom painted with stem and fork (after the first custom painted '85 frame broke). Probably not the smartest decision at the time, but it ended up being just fine. This is my around town bike now and it's nothing of the sort. Chris King gold rear hub, Cook Bros cranks and a King Ti headset, among other nice bits, means this thing gets noticed.* And that's why I graduated from the NY Fug to the Altor SAF!

And...
[/QUOTE] Seriously. If putting something in a locked garage or storage unit isn't secure enough, how is a little bike lock on top of that going to help? [/QUOTE]

Time. The longer it takes a thief to steal, the better the chance they will be thwarted, give up or get caught red-handed. Again, there's no guarantee. But if your roommate/spouse/knucklehead brother leaves the damn garage door open, there's far less chance your bike will get stolen if some loser walking by can't just jump on it and ride away. This accounts for a LOT of thefts. Again, I said nothing's 100%, you simply tilt the odds in your favor. You already own a good lock; just use it!

Well, I'm glad my post elicited some good response. As my sister loves to say, "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they still aren't out to get you!" I hope my post might just help thwart the loss of a bicycle or two.

* And yes, I know the approach of riding a cheap commuter and save the good bike for the nice rides. I tried riding a junker POS around town in college. It was horrible. I hated every pedal stroke, knowing I had a much better bike just sitting at home (locked, of course) not being ridden. The clincher (no pun intended) was riding in the rain with crappy brakes and chrome rims. That was all it took to abandon that idea. It's hard to ride crap when you own much nicer rides. Even my Schwinn cruiser doesn't float my boat. Too hilly where I live and it's an absolute boat anchor. I should sell it... even though doing Pee Wee Herman impressions while riding it is fun!

Last edited by LV2TNDM; 09-24-20 at 12:29 AM.
Likes For LV2TNDM:
Old 09-24-20, 12:40 AM
SVTNate
Packers Fan

Bikes: 2010 Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 30 Posts

Looks like the same floor product - polyaspartic coating?

Honestly, I don't know. I found the highest rated local guy for epoxy floor coatings on Yelp, and went with him. All I know is that he brought in a little Zamboni-type machine to cut the concrete, filled the cracks, etc. and I paid extra for a fast-drying clearcoat so that I wouldn't have to leave my brand new washer, dryer, and other stuff outside. I had just bought the house in late 2018. It still looks great. I blow it out with my electric leaf blower about once a week (when I wash the cars and the bike), and I mop like you. Usually just water, sometimes a little Simple Green.

Durable, looks great, an extension of the house. I have no hesitation walking in my garage with bare feet. When I bought the house, the garage was a disaster. We gutted it, ran new Romex wiring, new junction boxes, receptables, outlets, switches, drywall, baseboards, paint, lighting, the epoxy flooring, etc.
Old 09-24-20, 01:43 AM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Well, you will be proud of me. I lock my bikes in my garage...

... right next to my power tools.

John
Dang it people, stop bringing up more issues.... I have totally thought of that! In fact, several years ago I had read about one shop garage owner who had a power shut off outside the garage (next to a panel in a basement or something) that allowed him to kill the garage power for exactly that reason - to render all the tools useless. I thought "Man, that's smart!" Well, that idea was a good one until about five years ago when powerful battery-powered grinders hit the scene with a vengeance. They bring their own tools now. Oh well. At least you don't have to worry about all the tools in the garage now!

AND THIS JUST IN...

My son literally just walked by brushing his teeth and said, "My friend just had his bike stolen from in front of our friend's house." (Nice neighborhood of $3M homes. Not that that means anything.)

Another unlocked bike down the drain. Another disappointed kid. Another insurance claim. Another police report. I'm trying here, folks!
Old 09-24-20, 01:59 AM
amaramartin

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Sad to hear about your stolen bike. Can understand the pain behind it. I also bought a bike a few months back on half down payment and the remaining on credit. Unfortunately, one day my bike got stolen from the parkyard. Still I need to payoff the money on credit. It hurts when the bike gets stolen.
Old 09-24-20, 02:00 AM
amaramartin

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I resonate with the same as I have experience the same thing

Sad to hear about your stolen bike. Can understand the pain behind it. I also bought a bike a few months back on half down payment and the remaining on credit. Unfortunately, one day my bike got stolen from the backyard. Still, I need to pay off the money on credit. It hurts when the bike gets stolen.
Old 09-24-20, 07:45 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by Kat12
Seriously. If putting something in a locked garage or storage unit isn't secure enough, how is a little bike lock on top of that going to help?

We have 7 bikes. They all hang on hooks in our garage. And, they are chained together with a seriously heavy duty chain and lock. Although in recent days I keep my Guru Sidero in the house.
Old 09-25-20, 02:20 AM
hedonist222

Bikes: BMC Roadmachine ONE

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Well, you will be proud of me. I lock my bikes in my garage...

... right next to my power tools.

John
Old 09-25-20, 04:35 AM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
I park my car in the driveway - in the well between the two front seats there's a small, black plastic cube with a red button. The car's unlocked, so anyone can reach in and press that button ....

.... which will immediately activate the car alarm.

OK, in all seriousness: start poking around someone's house in my 'hood, and you're going to get shot. And that isn't a joke. I'm not a 'gun guy,' this is not an editorial.
Old 09-25-20, 04:38 AM
Danhedonia

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
@OP - #1 university in the world for bike theft, eh?

I'm very curious as to where I can see these posted World Bike Theft University Rankings. Because I'm your campus police would never make **** up to seem more important.
Old 09-26-20, 05:31 PM
crankholio

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
Suddenly those handlebar bag rant threads are looking more attractive.
What does this mean?
Old 09-26-20, 09:06 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
You need a pit bull.
Pit bulls are sweeties that would play with a burglar.
Old 09-26-20, 09:37 PM
Melvang

Bikes: Kona Roast, Cannondale R500 CAAD4

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 23 Posts
I lock my bike more than my car.
Old 09-27-20, 06:41 AM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
Pit bulls are sweeties that would play with a burglar.
a Havanese would be better. Ours would bark real loud, and then pee on the thief while wagging her tail.
Old 09-28-20, 11:28 AM
micomico

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most garage thefts are a result of leaving the door open. Don't leave the door open. "Open" includes one that is easy to open from the outside, whether the garage door or a separate side door.

Here is something I learned from our local police chief - don't leave your garage door opener visible inside your car that is parked in your driveway or on the street. Thieves will walk through neighborhoods looking for them. When they see one, they will pop out a window, and then use the opener to access the house or garage.
-Happened to me. Left me car unlociked one night, they used the garage door opener to get in, stole my bike. Using MyQ app instead of a garage door opener now

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.