Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

BB-LP20 disassembly - How to remove plastic nut cover without damage??

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-20, 12:44 AM
Deetox

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

I have an old Shimano BB-LP20 cartridge unit I'd like to take apart and overhaul but there is a plastic cap covering the security nut which needs to be removed and I'm not sure how to go about doing that without ruining it. I found a youtube video (with no actual video of the disassembly process just photo's of the parts and typed out instructions) which says "Carefully pry plastic nut cover on one side of the BB" which I have attempted using a pair of small flat head screwdrivers but I couldn't get it to budge and decided I better stop since the edges started getting marred up and I was worried it might break if I kept trying that method.

Anyone have a better idea how to get that cap off without damage? Normally I would just scrap it and buy a replacement but this is a 73mm shell width BB which are getting kind of rare and expensive so I'd really like to get this one back in usable shape if possible.

Old 09-23-20, 12:49 AM
The_Joe

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 25 Posts
I've had luck with a little angled dental pick. You can grab a cheap set for a few bucks at Harbor Freight.

You also might want to check out this video. RJ does a better job of navigating the process. Good luck!

Old 09-23-20, 01:36 AM
Deetox

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by The_Joe
I've had luck with a little angled dental pick. You can grab a cheap set for a few bucks at Harbor Freight.

You also might want to check out this video. RJ does a better job of navigating the process. Good luck!
Yes I've seen that video but the BB he has there is different and doesn't have the plastic cap covering the nut.

I did use a dental pick to remove a rubber seal from the other side of my BB but I can't see it working for the plastic cap.
Old 09-23-20, 10:21 PM
Deetox

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Ok nevermind I finally got it off. Turns out the dental pick was the right tool but the one I've been using was too thin and flimsy. I found a much stronger higher quality pick and that did the job. Still had to use a lot of force and marred the cap edges even more but it's still in one piece.

For reference purposes I noticed some people who commented on the video I posted couldn't figure out how to remove the cone but mine came off quite easily using a pair of small long nose needle nose pliers. (unscrews clockwise same as the security nut)

That cone was in great shape and so are the races but the other cone is badly pitted so not sure I'll even bother putting this thing back together. Kind of a bummer but oh well.
Old 09-24-20, 02:00 AM
The_Joe

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 25 Posts
Great job!