Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

65-85+ Thread

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

65-85+ Thread

Old 08-06-08, 07:17 AM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zonatandem
OK, the old guys are mouthin' off . . .
How many ladies out there (asides from Mrs. D'Fox and K/zonatandem) are willing to fess up to be more than 65 years 'young' and still pedalin'?
I'll certainly fess up to it.

I turned 65 in January and still do quite a bit of riding. I just finished a week long tour, will be doing another this month and then it's off to the Allegheny Passage for a few days in October

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 08-11-08, 06:51 AM
CrashGordon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At 65 I rode the Mt. Hood MTB trail this year....rode up then hung on while we rode down...put quite a pucker on my poor leather seat. LOL Next it is off to Normandy in late September for a bike tour to Paris...if I can stay sober enough as it goes through the wine country.
Old 08-11-08, 10:08 AM
Amazingrace

Bikes: Specialized Dolce, Marin mtn bike, Terry Precision, Groceries Clunker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm over 65 and have 4 bicycles. My odometer for the year on my Specialized Doce "racing" bike reads 658 miles, and I rode 7 miles of New York City's car-free "Summer Streets" in Manhattan on Saturday. I also write a blog on senior bicycling.
Old 08-12-08, 07:22 PM
Dave Nowlin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I guess.....

my second childhood is beginning. I rode an old Western Flyer from the time I was 8 until I went in service at 17. Now I'm buying a used Trek 6500 and I'm going to do it again. I don't mean I'm going back in the service but I am going to ride again. I got the kids to give my wife a 3 wheel bicycle and she won't ride it. She never learned to ride a bike as a kid. Maybe now I can get her to ride with me a little if I stay on smooth pavement when with her. Time will tell. She'll be 70 the last day of this month and I'm lagging behind a little.

Dave Nowlin
Old 08-15-08, 10:29 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Dave: Skip the trike . . . get a tandem; you can't loose her in traffic and she does not have to steer, shift, brake . . . just pedal and pinch your bunz if you misbehave!
Old 08-18-08, 04:25 PM
Dave Nowlin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think so...

You need to see the hills around here and take into account the fact that her legs are weaker than mine. Then you need to explain how in the world I will ride log roads when going with my granddaughter when she rides her horse. You can have the tandem, I'm not in the least interested. Even though she couldn't steer, she would find some way to turn me over.

Dave Nowlin
Old 08-20-08, 10:26 AM
pop's
FRUGAL GERMAN

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I waited a long time to get to 65 and by golly it aint age discrimination. Like we say in Texas don't pick a fight with an old man, he will just kill ya.

I am 67 am gonna finally ride the Houston to Austin MS 150 next spring, the good lord willin. I have a new bike coming next week and will start training. I am presently riding 5 miles a day weather premitting. It has been a bummer, it has been raining all this week.
Old 08-25-08, 02:38 PM
Rocky1405
Hey, I AM peddling!

Bikes: Dahon Espresso 26" and Raleigh Passage 4.0

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
HI: I'm glad to find this thread and that other's who are over 65 are still crankin' along. I figure riding is putting money in my "Health Bank" and find that the more I learn about how to do increasing distances the easier it is to go farther. Duhh, who'da thunk that!?! I really started to appreciate how lucky I am to be healthy enough to ride 10 to 20 miles at a time when a few years ago I met a couple of old Army buddies who I hadn't seen in about 40 years. One has arthritis so bad he can't walk to the end of his driveway w/o help and the other let himself get so overweight that he can't walk up 3 stairs w/o having to rest. After that, I started to really work on getting into better shape. I figure we can't lose by investing some time into biking regularly and I'm glad to hear others out there who are over 60 feel the same way. Bike trails are my favorite places to ride of course but since its not always convenient to get to them where I live I've recently started to ride out along the open roads where ever the roadway shoulders are wide enough for safety. The more I do it the farther I can go and the more fun it is. So, lets keep doing it until they close the lid on us! (Hopefully, that's not for a L-O-N-G time).
Old 09-06-08, 12:46 PM
Pardes
Downhill into Paradise

Bikes: Trek 7.6 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just testing to see if the age filter is active yet.....

I'm 62 and a 65 wannabe. The bus fare drops to 40 cents at 65 and since I bus/bike commute to work that would be an advantage. I'm sure if I hang out here I'll learn even more advantages of being 65.
Old 09-09-08, 06:35 PM
Jaxbike

Bikes: Klein MTB, Bike E recumbent, Giant TCX, Phat tandem

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I qualify as a 66 year old. Don't feel that I have much to contribute to these forums but I sure have enjoyed reading the 50+ forum in the last two years.

I've been cycling for over 35 years and it is the biggest factor in maintaining my physical and mental health at levels that make me feel far younger than my years. I don't worry about equipment, techniques, clothing etc. anymore, just about getting out there and improving my fitness level on a continuing basis.

I'm sure most of us at this age would agree that health and fitness, along with the fun of being out there are the biggest reasons we've stayed on the bike when far too many of our friends have become "couch potatoes".
Likes For Jaxbike:
Old 09-12-08, 07:20 AM
Frank FJ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
73+

After many years of inactivity I have taken my bike out of storage, now ride, after breakfast, 24 miles in 2 hours each day.....Bike is a Maruishi 505 1970s vintage.....Frank
Old 09-12-08, 07:33 AM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Location: The Gardens, Roses & Orchids. Bulacan The Philippines and Red Mountain, Ca. USA

Bikes: Schwinn Mountain, Diamondback Expert Road & REI Randonee Touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome Frank,
Let us be part of your life, keep us posted with how you are doing and smile at some of the messes we get into.
Old 09-15-08, 07:02 AM
Rocky1405
Hey, I AM peddling!

Bikes: Dahon Espresso 26" and Raleigh Passage 4.0

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi Guys & Gals: Last week I rode along the shores of Lake Superior a few miles South of Grand Marias, MN, and then rode into town there and went along the Gunflint Trail until the road shoulder disappeared and the hill got too steep. The hills in that area will have you working hard to keep your tongue out of the spokes of your front wheel! Also, the hill leading south out of town there will have you walking to catch your breath, but the views are well worth the effort. During this trip, the front wheel on my 2 year old Raleigh Passage 4.0 started to make a little bit of noise so when I got home I took it to the bike shop where it was discovered there was hardly any grease in the hub. I had both wheel hubs serviced for 30 bucks and was surprised at how much easier it rolls down the road now. The bike only has about 3000 miles on it so if yours peddles hard and if it makes any noises, get it to the shop! At age 66, I'm so happy to be healthy enough to ride a bike regularly that sometimes I cannot believe my good fortune, but then, maybe because I've been riding all my life has something to do with my good health. I say, when in doubt, get off the couch and keep moving! Ride safe and keep the rubber side down!!!
Rocky1405
Old 09-18-08, 06:08 AM
BillyBob1
Doc

Bikes: Trek Madone, Rans Velocity Squared

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Forget about age and just do it. It is very wise to have a cardiac stress test to make sure that you do not have silent ischemia that could kill you. My best bud, and partner in practice, died at age 45 due to severe coronary disease - died in bed. He was a marthon runner.

I'm pushing 68, ride everyday and have 1500 miles on my new Trek Madone that I bought earlier this year.

Billy
Old 09-18-08, 07:05 AM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pardes
Just testing to see if the age filter is active yet.....

I'm 62 and a 65 wannabe. The bus fare drops to 40 cents at 65 and since I bus/bike commute to work that would be an advantage. I'm sure if I hang out here I'll learn even more advantages of being 65.
There are tons of advantages to being 65

Retirement, senior discounts, being able to be crabby and people just attributing it to old age

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 09-18-08, 07:07 AM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaxbike
I qualify as a 66 year old. Don't feel that I have much to contribute to these forums but I sure have enjoyed reading the 50+ forum in the last two years.

I've been cycling for over 35 years and it is the biggest factor in maintaining my physical and mental health at levels that make me feel far younger than my years. I don't worry about equipment, techniques, clothing etc. anymore, just about getting out there and improving my fitness level on a continuing basis.

I'm sure most of us at this age would agree that health and fitness, along with the fun of being out there are the biggest reasons we've stayed on the bike when far too many of our friends have become "couch potatoes".
You can contribute pictures of your rides, participate in the Pie ride

We love pictures!

I agree 100% that biking is much better than becoming a couch potato.

-- Antonio Smith
Old 09-18-08, 07:08 AM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Frank FJ
After many years of inactivity I have taken my bike out of storage, now ride, after breakfast, 24 miles in 2 hours each day.....Bike is a Maruishi 505 1970s vintage.....Frank
Welcome Frank. You'll have to post some pictures of the bike and your daily ride.

-- Antonio Smith
Old 09-18-08, 07:53 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaxbike
Amen.

I think there comes a time when all that simply becomes totally irrelevant. At least for me it has.
Old 09-21-08, 10:04 AM
Ranger63

Bikes: mid 80s Ross Centaur converted to Alfine 11 09 motobecane imortal force, 83 Ross Paragon,81 Schwinn LeTour Tourist, 91 Paramount, 93 GT converted to city bike

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
65+thread

12/25/1942
Qualifies me.
Old 09-22-08, 09:12 AM
Amazingrace

Bikes: Specialized Dolce, Marin mtn bike, Terry Precision, Groceries Clunker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For tips on biking as a 62 or 65 year old, see my blog

Hi Pardes,

I would be interested in you -- and anyone else -- suggesting topics for my four-month old blog, Cycling for Boomers...Plus (https://seniorbicycling.blogspot.com)

I am especially interested in any trips you have done that you would recommend for others, and also in fitness routines that you have to keep yourselves in shape for biking at this "advanced" age.

best regards,
Grace
Old 09-22-08, 09:42 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by Amazingrace
Hi Pardes,

I would be interested in you -- and anyone else -- suggesting topics for my four-month old blog, Cycling for Boomers...Plus (https://seniorbicycling.blogspot.com)

I am especially interested in any trips you have done that you would recommend for others, and also in fitness routines that you have to keep yourselves in shape for biking at this "advanced" age.

best regards,
Grace
If you are 65+, you are NOT a boomer! Do you mean by the "plus" part - older than Boomers?

If so,

I try to get 3 solid hours of exercise in daily. I mix up swimming, weight lifting, bicycling, walking and stretching. Maybe 3,500 miles per year bicycling, bench press 200-225 lbs on a good day (plus a whole lot of other exercises), walk 3 miles, swim 500-1,000 yards.

I also try to eat pretty appropriately.

That's about it - seems to work.

I am looking at a sprint triathlon next summer, which will be my first.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 09-22-08 at 11:17 AM.
Old 09-22-08, 12:20 PM
CycloSailor

Bikes: Trex 7.3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi All: First time poster. I'll be 68 tomorrow. Entering this thread makes me feel like I have just entered "The Great Hall of Wisdom". Have enjoyed your posts, and, hope I can contribute as I get some stick time on the new mount. Have been away from the fold far too long, so, now I am getting back to it very slowly.

George
Old 09-22-08, 12:58 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
OKAY FOLKS - HERE IS THE 65+ THREAD. YOU MUST BE 65+ TO POST ON THIS THREAD!

I asked for it, and I got it.

DO YOU SUPPOSE WE WILL GET A BUNCH OF 64 YEAR OLDS WANTING TO POST ON THIS THREAD?

So, what should we discuss here?

How about those young whippersnappers - not yet 50 - posting to the 50+ forum?
So you went and did it. You opened up a buffet where I and my big appetite (ok big mouth) are not welcome. Ok fine...I can take a hint, I'll find someone else's yard to trample on!
(yeah, yeah, I know, I'm leaving, I'm leaving already....nice way to treat the welcome wagon)
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 09-22-08, 01:00 PM
solveg
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah, you can have your little thread with all the rules.
Old 09-22-08, 01:28 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by solveg
Yeah, you can have your little thread with all the rules.
Ahem!! Err . . .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.