Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

65-85+ Thread

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

65-85+ Thread

Old 09-22-08, 01:33 PM
solveg
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Ahem!! Err . . .

Sorry DnvrFox, you're just too much fun not to tweak every once in a while. I'll let the door hit me on the way out.
Old 09-22-08, 01:47 PM
vistin

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just had a birthday

My wife is half my age. My son is now fifteen. My mom-in-law is three years older than I. I got a "Happy Birthday", from the forum. That made me feel great. 67 is the new number. My wife says I am closer to 30 now. Thats in health, Hint, hint. Anyhow, thanks for the birthday greeting.
vistin
Old 09-22-08, 01:53 PM
Amazingrace

Bikes: Specialized Dolce, Marin mtn bike, Terry Precision, Groceries Clunker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Boomers Plus Means Seniors

DnvrFox, the answer is yes.... The PLUS part of my blog title refers to those older than Boomers. The truth is, we seniors don't much like being called seniors. It's OK to be a senior in high school or a senior vice president of a company. In life, in the age-obsessed U.S., it is not OK to be a "senior" in terms of age. I originally called my blog "Cycling for Oldsters." My age cohort hated it. I took a poll and discovered the largest group of voters preferred to be included in "Boomers Plus." You can see all this in the archilves on the blog.

That said, I find many similarities in complaints, fitness, aches & pains and touring choices between "boomers" and "seniors." Also, many of us who are technically seniors relate more to boomers in choices of music (Beatles, not show tunes) and exercise (biking, not shuffleboard.)

best, Amazingrace
Cycling for Boomers...Plus
Old 09-22-08, 01:57 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I was thinking a bit about the differences between the 65+ generation and the Boomers!

I think the Vietnam War, and all associated with that era affected us quite differently, and did make some differences in how we see or how we are or SOMETHING!!

I was in the Air Force at the very beginning of our sending "advisors" to Vietnam. I got out in August of 1965, and some of the troops in our squadron had or were being sent to Vietnam.

But, in our eyes, at that time, the government was pretty much always right (except for the cockroaches in the dining hall).

Many of us thought that pot was a black thing on a cook stove.

We had survived the Cuban Missile Crisis, the Bay of Pigs and all that, and we still carried a desk around to duck under in case of nuclear attack, but, I posit, that we 65+'rs grew up in a quite different time.

Okay, now that I have opened that can of worms - any reactions?
Old 09-22-08, 03:47 PM
Recycle

Bikes: ICE Adventure 26FS, Surly Long Haul Trucker, Giant Cypress DX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Amazingrace
I am especially interested in any trips you have done that you would recommend for others, and also in fitness routines that you have to keep yourselves in shape for biking at this "advanced" age.

best regards,
Grace
I'm 66 and semi-retired. My wife is 64 and still working. We both enjoy bicycle touring, but don't have the time for weeks away from home, nor the desire to push ourselves 100 miles/day. We also prefer a jacuzzi and good restaurants to camping.

So we take self supported credit card tours. It lets us get away for two to five days, riding at a pace and covering distances comfortable for us, on routes of our choice. We can stop to take pictures any time we feel like it, and, if we find something really interesting, we can stop short of our intended destination.

A typical 3 day trip would look like: On Day 1: Leave from our driveway, head out 50 or 60 miles, take in some sights, eat at a good restaurant, and overnight in a motel. Day 2: Ride around the area a little to take in more sights, visit interesting places, or just hang out on the beach. Day 3: Return the 50 or 60 miles home.

One variation is to haul the bikes by car to an area or trail head of interest. Park the car in a safe lot and bike out on the tour.

Another variation is to take the train. In Illinois, a bike can be rolled onto many Amtrack or Metra trains without having to box it and check it as baggage. So we can ride the bike to a train station, take the train to a place of interest, then bike back home. That is not possible on all Amtrack routes.

Last edited by Recycle; 09-22-08 at 05:11 PM.
Old 09-22-08, 07:56 PM
oldster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
born 12 /42, retired since 01. ride 90+ mi a week. don't care if they call me senior , or old fa-rt or what ever.remember VE day and VJ day..tried to enlist in the 60's since I got a draft notice, Failed the physical.1Y. took my first bike apart in 1950. (my best friend's dad owned a bike/locksmith/lawnmower/saw sharpening shop,and we spent a lot of time fooling around there) We bolted a schwin and an English bike together and made a tandem, Got stopped by the cop for speeding on main street.Don't quite understand the"boomers" Oh well... BP is down after getting back on the bike.Have Ham radio, and Furniture building, and 3cushion billiards, (only old far-ts even know what that is)All is well....Bud

Last edited by oldster; 09-23-08 at 02:30 PM.
Old 09-23-08, 12:01 AM
krispysteve

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
67 in 3 months but I don't think of that as particularly defining. I finished grad school when I was 57 and was hang gliding on my 60th birthday (hang crashing, actually.) Seems like I started most of the good stuff later than most. Most of my recumbents are home-builts, and for long periods of time hanging out in my shop cutting, filing and welding...and dreaming of long tours have been my fuel. We bought my mom her very first bicycle for her 89th birthday, an EZ-3 recumbent trike. Now at 93 she still rides 5+ miles most days. What's funny is that she considers derailleurs as an unnecessary complication, and even though the trike has 27 speeds, she has NEVER shifted the bike even once.
Old 09-23-08, 06:03 PM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Location: The Gardens, Roses & Orchids. Bulacan The Philippines and Red Mountain, Ca. USA

Bikes: Schwinn Mountain, Diamondback Expert Road & REI Randonee Touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Recycle;7521182]I'm 66 and semi-retired. My wife is 64 and still working. We both enjoy bicycle touring, but don't have the time for weeks away from home, nor the desire to push ourselves 100 miles/day. We also prefer a jacuzzi and good restaurants to camping.

Recycle,
I love the way you take your time and enjoy.
I enjoy getting there as much as being there.
The Jacuzzi, Good Restaurant and Motel are the way to end a nice day in the saddle.

Enjoy Life, I do.
Old 09-23-08, 06:06 PM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Location: The Gardens, Roses & Orchids. Bulacan The Philippines and Red Mountain, Ca. USA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by krispysteve
67 in 3 months but I don't think of that as particularly defining. I finished grad school when I was 57 and was hang gliding on my 60th birthday (hang crashing, actually.) Seems like I started most of the good stuff later than most. Most of my recumbents are home-builts, and for long periods of time hanging out in my shop cutting, filing and welding...and dreaming of long tours have been my fuel. We bought my mom her very first bicycle for her 89th birthday, an EZ-3 recumbent trike. Now at 93 she still rides 5+ miles most days. What's funny is that she considers derailleurs as an unnecessary complication, and even though the trike has 27 speeds, she has NEVER shifted the bike even once.
Sounds great,
Great life for you and Mom.
Old 09-24-08, 11:30 AM
krispysteve

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Burr
Sounds great,
Great life for you and Mom.

Thanks. I doubt I'm the only late starter here.
Old 09-26-08, 07:46 PM
solveg
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kriskros
hello all... im a newbie ..beeb cycling only 3 yrs [never wanted a bike when i was a kid] ride a giant cypress sx.. only ride 7to 10 miles a day... started at less than 1 mile... hills puff me out[limited lung capacity]... hoping to get to 15to 20 good fun feel much better.... iam 82
You started biking at age 79?? Way to go!
Old 09-26-08, 08:12 PM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kriskros
hello all... im a newbie ..beeb cycling only 3 yrs [never wanted a bike when i was a kid] ride a giant cypress sx.. only ride 7to 10 miles a day... started at less than 1 mile... hills puff me out[limited lung capacity]... hoping to get to 15to 20 good fun feel much better.... iam 82
You are doing good "Old Man". Just try to do over 21 minutes none stop a day and build from there.

You're great. I'm still a kid, 66.
Old 09-29-08, 06:38 AM
BillyBob1
Doc

Bikes: Trek Madone, Rans Velocity Squared

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check this out, it is written by a physician for cyclists.

https://www.cptips.com/toc.htm#table

Billy
Old 09-29-08, 06:45 AM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's nice BillyBob, thanks.
Old 09-29-08, 07:18 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,234 Times in 615 Posts
Originally Posted by krispysteve
You should post a pic of your Mom on the Trike.
Thanks

Old 10-06-08, 07:25 AM
Rocky1405
Hey, I AM peddling!

Bikes: Dahon Espresso 26" and Raleigh Passage 4.0

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
At age 66, anytime I don't feel like riding I think of all my pals who either due to obesity or some disease, can't ride or in some cases even walk by themselves, and that gives me the incentive to get off my lazy, slightly saggy butt, and get out and peddle. last week I was on a trail in SE MN and met some folks who are older than I am and who were putting on 60 mile days. We are all built differently because my idea of a big day is 25 miles and here these folks in their 70's were, happily cranking along at over 2 times that. One of them was just breaking in a new, "Go faster" $3,000.00 bike (he's a geezer so he bought it on sale for much less than that of course ) but he was going to put on 60 plus miles that day and was having the time of his life. He's done a double century ride in the last 2 years!!! Me, my longest ever was 65 miles and I'm proud of that and hope to this year get in an 80 miler before the snow flies. I figure riding puts money into my "Health Bank" and so far that has proven to be true because except for being slightly overweight, my health is great and I can pretty much do what I want and I attribute that to my remaining active like I am with biking. So far this year I have managed to put on 1200 miles and ride a pretty clunky, Hi-bred type Raleigh Passage 4.0 because due to back problems I cannot ride hunched over forward. I don't think it matters what you ride as long as you ride and I've found that once you get over 50 it doesn't matter what you look like either because I've learned you cannot judge what kind of a bike rider someone is by their body build. The double century guy I mentioned earlier had little skinny chicken looking legs, hardly any butt and a barrel belly and on the trail he passed me easily and I was cruising along at 14 MPH at the time and that's cranking along pretty good on the flats. In closing, biking's fun, biking's good for you, and when in doubt about going out think about how you'd feel if you couldn't go. If that doesn't get you off the couch, then nothing will.

Rocky1405
Old 10-11-08, 11:00 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
I was thinking a bit about the differences between the 65+ generation and the Boomers!

I think the Vietnam War, and all associated with that era affected us quite differently, and did make some differences in how we see or how we are or SOMETHING!!

I was in the Air Force at the very beginning of our sending "advisors" to Vietnam. I got out in August of 1965, and some of the troops in our squadron had or were being sent to Vietnam.

But, in our eyes, at that time, the government was pretty much always right (except for the cockroaches in the dining hall).

Okay, now that I have opened that can of worms - any reactions?

When Vietnam started up- I was in the Royal Marines. They were stationed in Aden and Malaya + all the other small outposts that it was felt that a British presence was required. Felt lucky in that I was in a protected occupation (Boxing Team) but still got sent to Malaya in 65. We kept wondering when the "New" posting was coming up as it was felt that more Marines than required were in Malaya- but it would be good acclimatisation for that "New" posting. Luckily it never came up for us.

Spike Milligan
Old 10-11-08, 04:58 PM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was a civilian in Nam after doing my time in the AF.
I was in Phu Bai, Hue and Quan Tri.
It could have been a lot worst, I didn't get hurt.
Old 11-03-08, 07:18 AM
bikingbritinmex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Excellent idea! After all its the over 65's who actually run countries and corporations, and as I'm British, living in Mexico and 70 years young I qualify three ways...
Old 11-06-08, 05:49 PM
Melo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't checked this forum for 4 years, been on BikeJournal, I am now 80, and wonder how many 80 year old guys are still riding. BTW I have riden 11,300 miles so far this year. and Just gotta keep peddlin.
Old 11-06-08, 06:31 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by Melo
I haven't checked this forum for 4 years, been on BikeJournal, I am now 80, and wonder how many 80 year old guys are still riding. BTW I have riden 11,300 miles so far this year. and Just gotta keep peddlin.
You got me beat - I will only be 69 tomorrow.

WOW!
Old 11-06-08, 06:51 PM
Melo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah DnvrFox. I have not checked in here for a long time, and the format has changed alot, I am trying to find my way around this site again. Been on BikeJournal, and it is down for a few day,( I think it got "hacked" not sure how to post an Avatar picture.
I did see a post from a guy that is 82. and a guy whose mom is 93 and still riding. Grrreat.
Old 11-06-08, 08:12 PM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"I will only be 69 tomorrow."

Happy Birthday Old-man!

The Kid
Old 11-06-08, 10:02 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by Burr
"I will only be 69 tomorrow."

Happy Birthday Old-man!

The Kid
Burr: Date of Birth
December 24th, 1941 (66)

I think this "kid" is "kid"ding himself.

In two years and a month or so, he will have caught up with me!
Old 11-07-08, 03:02 AM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
" In two years and a month or so, he will have caught up with me!"

You'll be on a walker by then.

I'm the kid, thank you very much.

No as long as we are healthy we got a lot to be thankful fore and to look forward too.

Last edited by Burr; 11-07-08 at 03:12 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.