Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

65-85+ Thread

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

65-85+ Thread

Old 11-07-08, 03:11 AM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Location: The Gardens, Roses & Orchids. Bulacan The Philippines and Red Mountain, Ca. USA

Bikes: Schwinn Mountain, Diamondback Expert Road & REI Randonee Touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Next week is yearly physical time.
I'm a diabetic and I know I'm going to be in trouble on my three month sugar count (like over 8).
I think all the other stuff will be OK.
Last year I had a little Non-alcohol Fatty Liver, hope I have helped that!
Prostrate is large but OK with Flomax.
Had two little kidney stones, I know one passed and I hope the other is gone.

I've got local insurance

I'm going to start studying for my blood test!
Old 11-15-08, 10:51 PM
LazyBoyonWheelz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
8/2/41 - I finally qualify for something besides various Old Poop discounts. Now if I can only get my old body to convince my 35 year-old brain to chill out - all will be well. I've been riding for 60 years and finally decided to treat my body to some more comfort than my '82 Specialized Expedition provided so I treated my self to a recumbent and I'm one happy camper. Only had it a month and my bent muscles are coming along nicely - can't wait 'till I hit the 300 mile mark so I can get out of the semi-flat riding I'm currently doing to break-in my knees. Every day I can markedly feel the improvement to a point where I can't wait for the next day to discover my newest capability/capacity. (HPVelo SM GTe) Rock On...
Old 11-22-08, 07:06 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by alfie43
Birthday: April 14, 1943.

Allow me to introduce myself: A former runner for 30+ years with a new titanium knee that has recently discovered cycling this past year and loving it. I ride strictly for fitness 10-15 miles a day...everyday. With over 30 years experience of running in Michigan winters, I am more than ready and equipped to cycle daily this coming Dec, Jan, and Feb.

Alfie
welcome. Your knee looks great! My wife has one of those. Oh! So does your bike.
Old 11-22-08, 11:19 PM
ModeratedUser150120149

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Birthday Ride

Was 72 yesterday. Today did a gentle ride around Chatfield Resevoir. About 5000' higher than I'm used to so panted a bit. But was nice to be able to stretch the legs a bit. Tomorrow we'll go back that way and then maybe start exploring the paths and roads in the South Denver area on our rented bikes.

Bests
Old 11-23-08, 06:15 PM
ModeratedUser150120149

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Second day on the rented bike. It isn't my cycle; but it is pretty ok. Getting more used to the altitude here. For those of you familiar with the Denver area; I rode about 22 miles in the Colorado Blvd/C470 Trail/Chatfield Resevoir area of Denver. Too bad I've only a few more days to visit and to ride; this area has wonderful bike paths and marked shoulders.
Old 11-23-08, 06:35 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by Latitude65
Second day on the rented bike. It isn't my cycle; but it is pretty ok. Getting more used to the altitude here. For those of you familiar with the Denver area; I rode about 22 miles in the Colorado Blvd/C470 Trail/Chatfield Resevoir area of Denver. Too bad I've only a few more days to visit and to ride; this area has wonderful bike paths and marked shoulders.

Try to get to Confluence Park and the REI - Platte River Trail north to Cherry Creek Trail
Old 11-23-08, 06:55 PM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Location: The Gardens, Roses & Orchids. Bulacan The Philippines and Red Mountain, Ca. USA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
YES BUT, Oakland best Denver!!!!

Aman
Old 11-25-08, 09:37 PM
ModeratedUser150120149

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Life Is Good

Life is good. Celebrated number 72 with family, had 4 days of good riding in the Front Range of Colorado and the riding temperature never dropped below +31F.

For those familiar with the Denver area; today rode along the Platte River from C470 up to the REI store (I think that's Confluence Park) and return. Round trip was just two hours of nice riding, interrupted by a Cliff bar break next to the river at REI watching some kayakers practice.

Wow, what a wealthy country to afford such wonderful bike paths!

Tonight just as I'm getting acclimated to the altitude I had to turn in my rental bike. It was a Trek 2.1. Not an outstanding bike. But, certainly an acceptable one for this kind of thing. It worked flawlessly for the four days. Next time I'll bring my own saddle though!

So, fellow antiques, take heart, we are like fine wine. We improve with age!
Old 12-21-08, 07:58 PM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CycloSailor
Hi All: First time poster. I'll be 68 tomorrow. Entering this thread makes me feel like I have just entered "The Great Hall of Wisdom". Have enjoyed your posts, and, hope I can contribute as I get some stick time on the new mount. Have been away from the fold far too long, so, now I am getting back to it very slowly.

George

So George, how you doing?
You turning the cranks.
Old 12-21-08, 08:05 PM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Kid will be 67 the 24th.

Mind 27, body maybe 47 and I still make a fool of myself all the time.

Merry Christmas my like minded friends.
Old 12-29-08, 01:03 PM
Ranger63

Bikes: mid 80s Ross Centaur converted to Alfine 11 09 motobecane imortal force, 83 Ross Paragon,81 Schwinn LeTour Tourist, 91 Paramount, 93 GT converted to city bike

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What to talk about

How about the number of miles between pit stops (lol)?
How about favorite mid way restaurant (aka pitstop)?
How about how many guys do you ride with who are older than you? (Half the club I ride with is and I still can't keep pace with em..Two are 80)
I'm a mere 66
Old 01-13-09, 07:14 AM
BillyBob1
Doc

Bikes: Trek Madone, Rans Velocity Squared

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quadruple Coronary Bypass

Well I took my own medical advice and had another cardiac stress test in October and flunked. Riding bike was fine, it was the walking in an airport that tipped me off that I had a problem and had not had a stress test in two years. 3 months to this day I was on the operating table at Emory's Crawford Long hospital having four bypasses. Today is to be my first day back on the bike, and Saturday is #68. I figure that now I have 7 vessels to my heart instead of the usual 3 so I should be able to go faster - HA! See my Sept. 18th post.

Take head my friends.

Bill

Last edited by BillyBob1; 01-13-09 at 07:18 AM.
Old 01-13-09, 11:26 AM
Pegib

Bikes: My adult children own bkes along with the little carts for the youngsters to ride

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Baby Boomers

Hi all,

I am 70 y/o and not a bicycle rider as I would most likely wreck.
But I am an AmeriCorp VISTA working on a "Bike Tour Committee" for a scholarship program at Shawnee Community College in Southern Illinois.

As a VISTA one of my assignements is to list how many "Baby Boomers" are in attendance. They define the ages as 43 to 61.

My adult children are bicycle riders and have the attached buggy for the little ones.

If anyone could share with me what a good rest stop and a bad rest stop is on a paid bicycle tour is I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Pegib
nancybush08@yahoo.com
Old 01-13-09, 07:20 PM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BillyBob,
How you feeling? How you do.

Keep the faith, you're doing fine.
Old 01-14-09, 12:04 AM
Recycle

Bikes: ICE Adventure 26FS, Surly Long Haul Trucker, Giant Cypress DX

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pegib

Hi all,

I am 70 y/o and not a bicycle rider as I would most likely wreck.
But I am an AmeriCorp VISTA working on a "Bike Tour Committee" for a scholarship program at Shawnee Community College in Southern Illinois.

As a VISTA one of my assignements is to list how many "Baby Boomers" are in attendance. They define the ages as 43 to 61.

My adult children are bicycle riders and have the attached buggy for the little ones.

If anyone could share with me what a good rest stop and a bad rest stop is on a paid bicycle tour is I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Pegib
nancybush08@yahoo.com
Hi Pegib

The bike club I belong has been hosting a ride the Sunday after Easter for 27 years. There are routes of approximately 16, 28, 35, 45, and 65 miles, and it draws 500 to 700 people. ( https://www.folksonspokes.com/easter.html )

All of the routes start and stop at a school which has restroom and lunch facilities. There are three rest stops spaced roughly 20 miles apart. The 16 and 28 mile rides go through 1 rest stop, the 35 and 45 mile rides go through 2 rest stops, and the 65 mile ride goes thru all three rest stops.

All the rest stops are in county parks with restrooms and shelters for shade. There are things to drink like water, coffee, tea, and Gator Aid. Especially, there is plenty of water and GatorAid so riders can refill their water bottles. here are things to munch like veggies, sandwiches, home made veggie chili, and cookies. I wouldn't suggest a lot of real fatty foods.

Each rest stop also has a repair station with mechanics and spare parts provided by different local bike shops. There is continuous SAG support running all the routes and checking in at all the rest stations.

Is that the sort of thing you're looking for?
Old 01-15-09, 04:58 AM
dorothy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So dudes got back riding a couple of years back, doing regular sunday rides aout 100k on my trek hybrid and thinking of buying a cervelo for racing a cervelo team soloist, seem to be able to get a good deal in singapore for about 2k singapore dollars. Find I have more money now retired, not a lot, so must have never have had too much anyway. Cheers dude.
Old 01-15-09, 06:50 AM
BillyBob1
Doc

Bikes: Trek Madone, Rans Velocity Squared

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Burr
BillyBob,
How you feeling? How you do.

Keep the faith, you're doing fine.
Hey Burr,

I am going great and feel great. Been riding again the past two days and needing to get a few muscles back in shape. It feels good, but of course the bottom doesn't because it needs to get used to the saddle again.

Thanks for asking.

Bill
Old 01-20-09, 09:03 AM
Pegib

Bikes: My adult children own bkes along with the little carts for the youngsters to ride

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,

Yes this is the sort information I am looking for and I thank you for responding with your experiences.
Hope some more will come up with any additions.

We put an ad in Adeventure Cyclist's it is a first for us so we will see how it turns out.

There are some hidden gems in the southern part of Illinois as far as roads and scenery. One road is the "Grapevine trail" it has hills and valleys and in October the leaves are really pretty colorful. But we also have flat trails through the "Wet Lands", lots of wildlife etc.

This area is known as "Little Egypt."

Have a good day and anyone else with suggestion I do appreciate.

Pegib
Old 02-04-09, 11:20 AM
Pegib

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You`all got me hooked!!!

Since organizing this bicycle tour and reading the posts here AND living in a village in Southern Illinois where the bike trail ends, (Karnak) I am thinking seriously of getting a three wheeler bike with the "Shopping Basket" on the back and join my adult children and "Grands" on the trail.

It certainly could help with halting the progress of the "Locking Joints"

Pegib
Old 02-06-09, 07:13 PM
card
Happy Rider

Bikes: Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In dog years, I'm 434.
Old 02-06-09, 07:51 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by card
In dog years, I'm 434.
Do you fetch the paper with your mouth while wagging your tail?
Old 02-15-09, 05:58 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Are any of you 65+'rs beginning to feel approaching non-immortality?

Just curious, because I do find myself realizing that the average life span in the USofA for a male 70 years old is 15 years, and that likely the last 5 of those won't be too pleasant, giving me just about 10 years more to really enjoy life!!
Old 02-16-09, 04:39 PM
kenkayak

Bikes: Trek 7300/cannondale mountain bike

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Im going to start bikeing to the arctic[up along lake st.jean to waskaganish]this year i never thought of it till I was 65 .///There are plenty of 55 yr olds never make the trip and others 70 and over would do it in a heart beat.//Kenneth
Old 02-19-09, 09:56 PM
ModeratedUser150120149

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Are any of you 65+'rs beginning to feel approaching non-immortality?

Just curious, because I do find myself realizing that the average life span in the USofA for a male 70 years old is 15 years, and that likely the last 5 of those won't be too pleasant, giving me just about 10 years more to really enjoy life!!
You write as though you are a bit depressed. I hope that isn't, in fact, true. Not much I can do from this distance except to encourage you not to believe all that mis-information.

Some comments that may be pertinent:
Many years ago an aquaintance told me about a fellow worker at one of the nation's large manufacturering facilities. That person kept a record of the fate of recent retirees. He grouped them in two categories: Those who kept track of the time remaining and those who didn't. After several years the analysis showed those who counted down, as it were, lived shorter, less happy lives than those who didn't. There is a profound lesson in that.

In 1976 I was counselled my life expectancy was 3-5 years. So, much for "likely".

If the folks around you are focused on death and disability do what I did; change social circles.
Old 02-19-09, 10:03 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by Latitude65
You write as though you are a bit depressed. I hope that isn't, in fact, true. Not much I can do from this distance except to encourage you not to believe all that mis-information.

Some comments that may be pertinent:
Many years ago an aquaintance told me about a fellow worker at one of the nation's large manufacturering facilities. That person kept a record of the fate of recent retirees. He grouped them in two categories: Those who kept track of the time remaining and those who didn't. After several years the analysis showed those who counted down, as it were, lived shorter, less happy lives than those who didn't. There is a profound lesson in that.

In 1976 I was counselled my life expectancy was 3-5 years. So, much for "likely".

If the folks around you are focused on death and disability do what I did; change social circles.
Sorry I gave the impression of depression - which is definitely not the case. But, I am curious.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.