Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Did you ride today?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Did you ride today?

Old 07-02-09, 07:55 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by HopedaleHills
Are you kidding! It's freakin raining again. I think we have had maybe 3 good days for all of June and now the first week in July is more of the same. I've got 80 miles in for the entire month! The one good weekend we had, I had to catch up on yard work. God I hate New England.
Time to put on the rain gear and go for a ride.
Old 07-02-09, 08:29 AM
kenkayak

Bikes: Trek 7300/cannondale mountain bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
hello BudBent/ Ive seen recumbents here /thought thay didnt go to fast but I say thats damm good 40miles in 2 1/2 hr. there hard to see here on the narrow rode's with the shadow from the tree canopy./Kenneth
Old 07-02-09, 08:55 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Rode with the regulars we normally ride with on a weeknight ride and used my TT bike. I put the HED Alps wheels on the Cervelo P2C. Somehow I wound up riding up front for probably 30 of the 37 miles. Everytime I'd look down at my HR monitor it would be around 175-180 bpm. I guess your body just tends to ramp it up when you get tucked in an aero position??? I didn't realize I was riding that hard. One heck of a workout.......
Old 07-02-09, 08:56 AM
az_cyclist

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
12.7 miles this morning. I get in short rides before work mid May thru the first week of Sept. I get longer rides in on the weekends, both solo and with the club.
Old 07-02-09, 09:15 AM
kenkayak

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Hello AZ Cyclist/IM trying to talk myself into a fourth slog in the gloom here in Maine; this weekKenneth
Old 07-02-09, 10:54 AM
kjc9640
Slo Spoke Jim

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh road bike & love it

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good ride today...7/2/09

Todays ride 45.55 (s)miles
Total this mo. 65.69 (s)miles
Total this year 3315.35 (s)miles

Ride like you are invisible

Old 07-02-09, 11:08 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1319 Post(s)
Liked 2,411 Times in 1,405 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
Rode with the regulars we normally ride with on a weeknight ride and used my TT bike. I put the HED Alps wheels on the Cervelo P2C. Somehow I wound up riding up front for probably 30 of the 37 miles. Everytime I'd look down at my HR monitor it would be around 175-180 bpm. I guess your body just tends to ramp it up when you get tucked in an aero position??? I didn't realize I was riding that hard. One heck of a workout.......
That is a big HR depending on your max. I find that my HR will be higher at high power IF the temperature is higher on the TT bike.

What speed were you generally holding on the flat with minimal wind (assuming that condition even existed)?
Old 07-02-09, 01:55 PM
kenkayak

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Im back from my Fourth rain issue ride in a row;and the wind had backed around so was a cold steady rain.//Over the 4th im getting off the training rides and go look around some place fun but not far away .///Maybe Richmond IF there haveing goings on for the fourth Some places are cutting back on fireworks to bad for children who have nothing to do with anything except missing something fun./Kenneth
Old 07-02-09, 02:02 PM
kenkayak

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Kudos Hermes/Sounds like you and your friends are in to it.I see know harm in it done with care./Kenneth
Old 07-02-09, 03:10 PM
BikeWNC
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In my quest to find some lost fitness I went out for a couple threshold climbing repeats today. On the same course as last week I put out 21 and 24 ave watts more over the 12 min intervals. Even better, the ave power of the last 8 min of each interval was exactly the same. I'm slowly raising the volume on these interval days while trying to maintain some long distance work on the weekends. I'll get to 2x20 sometime later this month and hopefully not lose any power doing it.

Last edited by BikeWNC; 07-02-09 at 04:14 PM.
Old 07-03-09, 04:52 AM
cranky old dude

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Taking a couple of days off from the bikes. Had a Chocolate Ice Cream craving yesterday, they come about once a year. Between 01:00pm and 07:00pm I polished off a half gallon off Perry's "Death by Chocolate". Yum!!

Working the day shift today and Saturday and as a rule the crazy's are out roaming the streets 'till dawn on holiday weekends. Trust me, it's safer to drive to work at 04:00am on holiday weekends, in fact most summer weekends are kinda iffy. I'll climb back on-board for Sunday evening's commute to work, and if I'm awake in time I might even do the Recumbent enthusiasts breakfast run at 06:30 Sunday morning.

On a positive note, the car still runs after sitting idle for almost a full month.
Old 07-03-09, 08:27 AM
Allegheny Jet

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
1.5 hours of riding in Z2 with 4 other riders early this morning. We are all racing tomorrow and just wanted to get the aerobic saddle time in. After the ride we met our wives at a local diner and all enjoyed breakfast and friendship.
Old 07-03-09, 11:47 AM
FL_MarkD

Bikes: Serotta Fierte IT

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did a metric this morning on the hot, flat Suncoast Trail (FL west coast) with a buddy with an average speed of 17.4. Back before the real heat started up. Tomorrow the FL 'hills' in San Antonio. Sunday might just be a rest day.

Happy Fourth!

Mark
Old 07-03-09, 02:22 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
This morning I rode the first real MTB ride I've done in several months. I joined two friends to drive about 40 miles to a great system of trails near Jackson, Ga., Dauset Trails.

We rode for about two hours at a moderate pace and I used up just about every bit of energy I had. I had forgotten just how easy road riding is. Good thing we skipped the hardest section, appropriately named "Huff and Puff". The weather was warm but not hot during our morning ride. The trail was in good shape but a bit dry as we haven't had significant rain in several weeks.

The only thing wrong with the ride was that we all had too much attraction to the ground. I fell twice, both Tombay type falls where I ran out of power on a climb just as the front wheel hit a rock or root and stopped rolling. The first fall made a small scrape on my left knee but it bled impressively making a trail of blood most of the way down the front of my shin. The second fall was a bit more spectacular. The back of my helmet saved me by taking a hard hit from the tree I fell into. Made a nice dent in the helmet which is now in the garbage. I got another minor scrape on my right knee to match the one on my left. I have a deep scrape just below my right elbow that looks just like road rash. Less deep but still painful scrapes are all along my right upper arm and on the back of my right shoulder. I'm lucky not to have been hurt beyond these superficial scrapes. The helmet really saved me as it made a loud thump when my head hit the tree.

I need to do more MTB riding so I can get good enough to avoid silly falls like these.

Old 07-03-09, 02:39 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
I rode 42 miles this morning with a group of about 15 or 20 or so. I'm pretty sure everybody would qualify for 50+. Most of the people have been bicycle enthuiasts for a long time. To me, the most interesting thing about the ride was the collection of bikes that were represented: Lightspeed, Merlin, Serotta, Waterford, Colnago, my Klein, a titanium Santana tandem and a pretty techy recumbent with a name starting with "B". That's a pretty high dollar collection to see on an otherwise nondescript Friday morning ride.

Mrs. Grouch and I are going to the same starting place tomorrow only this time it's going to be all tandems. I wonder how many teams will show up.
Old 07-03-09, 04:22 PM
kenkayak

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Hello WNC I wish I could get that kind of regimented training/my focus isnt good and even worse now that im older but im doing as well as I ever have so Adversity may breed contempt but in my case a little determination as well.Ill be drawing inspiration from you and the other dedicated training rider's Im sure there are many other bikers that are inspired as well./Kenneth
Old 07-03-09, 04:36 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1380 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 815 Posts
30mi / 50km today, including the old road inside Torrey Pines Reserve, all on my red-white-and-blue Schwinn mountain bike, which is getting its usual patriotic holiday workout. My son is putting another 15mi / 25km on it this afternoon, and I have big plans to ride it in tomorrow afternoon's 12th annual Neptune Av. 4th of July parade. In my case, the bike is its own 4th of July decoration.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 07-03-09, 05:00 PM
kenkayak

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
HA ha hA PUT THE IODINE to it BluesDog help you think about not falling down hope yer mother told you to be more careful./Kenneth
Old 07-03-09, 05:11 PM
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I rode a quick seventy miles mostly on on local Mississippi River trails. It was one of those rare days when even riding into the gentle breeze felt like a tail wind.
Old 07-03-09, 05:14 PM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wanted to get that 80 mile ride in today but the radar told me not to stray far. I did 30 miles of different spoke rides getting in a few hills and some speed runs - that way I was never too far from shelter. The rain came about 30 mins after I got in. Showers on and off the rest of the day. Maybe a distance ride will happen before this vacation is over. Then it's back to the saw dust factory and my normal riding routine.
Old 07-03-09, 07:06 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Yesterday was a rest day. Beautiful weather today - Sunny and 75 degrees. I went to the track today and did a 30 minute warmup and then two - 2K practice pursuits i.e. standing start and then you go as fast as you can for 2000 meters. I had 15 minutes rest between efforts. The first pursuit was 2:57:5 and the second was 2:58:0. 47/14 for the first and 48/14 for the second. My legs are tired after 4K. What a wussy.
Old 07-03-09, 07:07 PM
BikeWNC
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kenkayak
Hello WNC I wish I could get that kind of regimented training/my focus isnt good and even worse now that im older but im doing as well as I ever have so Adversity may breed contempt but in my case a little determination as well.Ill be drawing inspiration from you and the other dedicated training rider's Im sure there are many other bikers that are inspired as well./Kenneth
Well thanks! I'm really small potatoes compared to some of the 50+ members here. I had a coach for 4 years but had to back off the last couple seasons because family life just became a conflict with training. We've all been there I'm sure. I know what needs to be done though from prior experience so I try to maintain some sort of structure. Unfortunately I lack a little bit of discipline which a coach would really help overcome. I don't race so really it's a long haul sort of thing for me. I'm happy if I can postpone the aging process one day at a time.

I have a hilly 70 mile ride early in the morning tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it!
Old 07-03-09, 07:10 PM
BikeWNC
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
Yesterday was a rest day. Beautiful weather today - Sunny and 75 degrees. I went to the track today and did a 30 minute warmup and then two - 2K practice pursuits i.e. standing start and then you go as fast as you can for 2000 meters. I had 15 minutes rest between efforts. The first pursuit was 2:57:5 and the second was 2:58:0. 47/14 for the first and 48/14 for the second. My legs are tired after 4K. What a wussy.
Nice! I remember going to the track and doing some repeats with my coach. Man was I burnt after those.
Old 07-03-09, 08:25 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by BikeWNC
Nice! I remember going to the track and doing some repeats with my coach. Man was I burnt after those.
i am doing a practice 500 meter time trial and 2K pursuit practice races this Sunday in a charity event at the track. Next weekend are the District Masters Track Championships. I was hoping for a sub 2:50 2K pursuit this year. If I get below 2:55 on Sunday, it may be possible but is a stretch. The chest cold I had for the last 3 1/2 weeks took its toll on my training. I have more than enough speed / power for the sub 2:50 but I am short a couple of laps of endurance. The goal today was to check gearing and work on endurance. It was great working out and I hated to cut it short but in reality, 2 pursuits is all that I could do and recover from.
Old 07-04-09, 04:30 AM
Allegheny Jet

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hermes
Do you bring a NASCAR style pit crew with you to make the gearing changes? A 15 minute recovery while changing chainrings and cassette doesn't seem like a recovery. I would have to keep pedaling during the recovery or my legs would tighten up.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.