Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Did you ride today?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Did you ride today?

Old 07-06-09, 12:00 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1319 Post(s)
Liked 2,411 Times in 1,405 Posts
Originally Posted by Cleave
Hi Hermes,

That's a noticeably bigger gear than I used in my only 2K TT -- 49 X 15. I used a 48 X 15 for a 500m TT and I thought it was too big. Of course our build and riding styles are probably very different.

As far as the holiday weekend goes, I rode 52 miles on Friday, 36 on Saturday, and 58 today -- all with my club. Also managed to get in a bit of climbing on these rides with about 4K ft of climbing total over the 3 days. Weather was pretty much in the 70s with today getting into the low 80s before we finished.
Thanks for the info Cleave
Old 07-06-09, 01:59 PM
kenkayak

Bikes: Trek 7300/cannondale mountain bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I wondered about your absents RedRider /strawberries are about to finnish here I enjoy them very much.[at least four quarts in the last to weeks ive snacked on very nice berries for such a gloomy season./Kenneth
Old 07-06-09, 02:26 PM
kenkayak

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I forgot to mention my 10 mile ride on the Lady's Brittish Triumph //There is an issue with the Three speed drum [minor] I think it may be lack of oil in the three speed canister and lack of use. Kenneth
Old 07-07-09, 02:03 PM
BikeWNC
Climbing Above It All

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode 34.6 miles on the BRP this morning with a former USA National Team member and his wife, a multi-time mtb National Medalist herself (ages 61 and 58 respectively). All but the first and last 1.5 miles are above 5000' on the route and we had around 3600' of climbing. Those dang skinny guys kicked my butt. My rubberband broke on the last climb back up to just over 6000' and I had to back off and ride an easy tempo to the top. We all got chilled on the descents with the temp in the 50s. Gotta love it. 2:15 ride time for me. I need to ride with them more. I learn something every time I do.
Old 07-07-09, 02:23 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by BikeWNC
I rode 34.6 miles on the BRP this morning with a former USA National Team member and his wife, a multi-time mtb National Medalist herself (ages 61 and 58 respectively). All but the first and last 1.5 miles are above 5000' on the route and we had around 3600' of climbing. Those dang skinny guys kicked my butt. My rubberband broke on the last climb back up to just over 6000' and I had to back off and ride an easy tempo to the top. We all got chilled on the descents with the temp in the 50s. Gotta love it. 2:15 ride time for me. I need to ride with them more. I learn something every time I do.
You and C'Fool have to stop the comments about the skinny guys. You are skinny. BTW, I ride with a current National Champion all the time.
Old 07-07-09, 02:36 PM
BikeWNC
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes

You and C'Fool have to stop the comments about the skinny guys. You are skinny. BTW, I ride with a current National Champion all the time.
LOL. Yes you do! Ain't it great?

No, Hermes, when I say skinny I mean really skinny. I don't think she weighs 95# and he is barely over 120. His race weight used to be 111! By contrast, my 6'3" 183# frame is challenged on the hills to put it mildly. To top it off, I can't drop the guy on the flats, he just tucks into the draft. I was pulling at 700w up a false flat and he blew by me when I had to let up. Then his wife who had been dropped came by me and I was left to smell the flowers on the side of the road. Is that fun or what!
Old 07-07-09, 02:46 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Sunday. I raced at the track and competed in the flying 200 meter, the 500 meter TT and the 2K pursuit. I did a 2:51.6 in the 2K pursuit and I am really happy.

Monday. I rode the rollers for 1/2 hour at the cycling gym at high cadence.

Today. I went to the track for the advanced workout session. I did the 40 lap warmup, 2 - 100 meter jumps at 80% and two - 2K pursuits at 90 cadence and 100 cadence in a 47/15 with 5 minutes rest between. Then spun out my legs.

Bike racers cannot help themselves and turn everything into a competition even when it is not in their best interest. At the start of the warmup, the supervisor and I discussed the plan for the day. This is somewhat important since we want to coordinate what riders are doing on the track for safety purposes. This weekend is the District Championships and most of the riders were going to participate. So today's session was about peaking for the weekend.

We decided on an easy 40 lap warmup and then do some efforts at reduced intensity. We start out at 15 mph and plan on keeping it there for at least 10 to 15 laps and slowly bring up the speed to 20ish. We soon have a line of 10 guys and after 4 laps one of the guys decides he wants to pick up the pace to 18 mph and does 4 laps at the front. We are soon at 22 mph. Both the supervisor and I pull out of the warmup and ride at the stayers line as the warmup turns into a scratch race with 8 to go.

There is nothing wrong or unsafe per se but it was not according to plan and defeats the effective warmup. A critical mass of testosterone always goes nuclear, trumps training plans and is impossible to control.

Last edited by Hermes; 07-07-09 at 03:07 PM.
Old 07-07-09, 03:04 PM
BikeWNC
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You were smart to back off today. I know what you're saying about racers though. I'm not one of them and can usually stick to a plan but every now and then it is good to be made to ride outside of one's comfort zone. I'll call today my interval ride for the week. I certainly got in several good climbing efforts of 10 min or more and a few good hard pulls too. I do have to remind myself that I'm still in a base phase though. I've really been working on upping the cadence lately and it is starting to show.
Old 07-07-09, 09:13 PM
Allegheny Jet

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I did a 44 mile training race tonight. Orders from my coach was to sit in and not do any hard work. Well, the 60 rider pack kept going round and round and after 25 miles the studs still had not got away from the field. I told myself that at 30 miles I was going to pull out of the race if it didn't slow down. I rode very well tonight and was able to accelerate out of the turns and pass riders with relative ease. The 30 mile mark came and still no break and the pace was still high. On a long straight I raised my hand and pulled over to the curb and slowed to let the field pass. Once clear of the pack I looked at my computer and saw that we had averaged 27.2 mph for the 30 miles. I'm entered in a 3 day 4 stage stage race beginning this Friday and will be doing a 5.8 mile TT on Friday AM. I figured it would be a good time to get in a little TT work and went aero while riding the course and held my HR in upper Z4 for the last 7 laps. It took the field all 7 laps to lap me and I almost didn't get lapped on the 2.1 mile course. I hated getting out of a fast and fun race, but I know that I did what is best for the next real race.
Old 07-08-09, 12:48 AM
Red Rider
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
30.3 miles, 27 w/the group, got gapped a couple of times and closed them handily. Very rewarding not to get dropped, and to have taken pulls and bridged as well.

The more I ride, the more I feel like I'm getting a lost piece of myself back.
Old 07-08-09, 10:02 AM
alicestrong
Pedal pusher...

Bikes: I've got a bunch...

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Over the weekend I had a new experience. I got to ride the bike in a Fourth of July parade! It was only a three mile course, but so slow we spent a lot of time circling and waving, ringing bells...

I rode the 12 mile route to the parade location and back, so I suppose , what 30 miles?
Old 07-08-09, 10:31 AM
The Weak Link
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
52 miles in N'west Ohio on Saturday.

Back has been killing me ever since, although the rest of me never felt better.

19 miles of gentle rollers today. Back still hurts, but not as bad. Appointment with the physical therapist tomorrow. Bummer.
Old 07-08-09, 10:50 AM
lighthorse

Bikes: LeMond Buenos Aires, Trek 7500, Scattante CFR, Burley Hudson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes.
Old 07-08-09, 12:11 PM
kjc9640
Slo Spoke Jim

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh road bike & love it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wednesday 7/08/09... Temp 90 feels like 97 and humidity 55%.

No matter who you are or how far/fast you ride HYDRATE... HYDRATE... HYDRATE...

Todays distance 34.02 (s)miles
Total distance this mo. 206.74 (s)miles
Total distance this yr. 3456.40 (s)miles

GO RAYS....2008 American League Champions
Old 07-08-09, 12:40 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by bcoppola
Lunch run on the Super Le Tour with its new Nitto Technomic Deluxe stem (90mm reach) and gaudy new Nashbar red/black marble bar tape that would give certain C&V habitues the vapors. Round trip about 15 miles. Wore safety yellow jersey but cargo shorts over padded cycling undies; Fred enough for you? Fish tacos, yer basic rice & refried beans, then a side trip for some frozen custard. No hammering - maybe 14.something average but I didn't check.

And tomorrow - the regular Saturday morning club breakfast ride - about 38 miles round trip, maybe 15-ish MPH average. Will ride the SLT again. Really enjoying that bike!
Mmm-frozen custard. Few have heard of it in Boston, and I know of only one place to get it around here, if they are still in business.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 07-08-09 at 02:19 PM.
Old 07-08-09, 12:45 PM
riderman14

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it's raining now,but day isn't over yet!!
Old 07-08-09, 12:48 PM
alicestrong
Pedal pusher...

Bikes: I've got a bunch...

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by riderman14
it's raining now,but day isn't over yet!!

Raining you say? Where in the world is that?

We're roasting in LA...
Old 07-08-09, 12:52 PM
BikeWNC
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I wanted to get out for a short ride but it's been showering on and off today with temps in the upper 60s in the valley.
Old 07-08-09, 01:51 PM
Bud Bent
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did a 39 mile ride after work yesterday, starting from home. It was hot, but not as hot as today.

On a 200k permanent on Sunday, I slowed down to stay with a friend who was struggling. This rider is usually much stronger than me, but hadn't ridden a 200k in several months.

It was a role reversal, as on a 300k two weeks earlier, and a 200k the week before that, it was me who was wiped out by the heat, and someone else dropped back to stay with me. Sometimes you're the windshield; sometimes you're the bug...
Old 07-08-09, 02:13 PM
kenkayak

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
IM a wounded bird ready to try flying again/ KenKayak
Old 07-08-09, 02:24 PM
kenkayak

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Hello The Weak Link/Any one who rode in Maine today and didnt have to is a better man than me Gungerdin/ But my training has gone well and my Passport card came[the only trouble is thay got my birthdate in march wrong///Im not for another 6 weeks for them to correct it.Im actually at a point where if I dont ride at all in the day in rumpy and cross with myself./Kenneth
Old 07-08-09, 03:31 PM
Monoborracho

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
We went out yesterday evening on the tandem. It was 100 F when we passed by the downtown square. After about 6 miles Mrs. M was really showing the heat, so we turned around and stopped at a park to cool down. When we got back to town the temp showed to be 104 F.

We went back home and opened a bottle of wine. We thought about frying eggs on the sidewalk.
Old 07-08-09, 04:16 PM
kenkayak

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
HELLO Monoborracho Well we made 50f in the rain in Maine//Im feeling mouldy/Kenneth
Old 07-08-09, 04:48 PM
kenkayak

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
THats moveing down the road Allegheny Jet I wouldnt want to go down in a crowd at that speed.Bad enough down the slope alone/Kenneth
Old 07-08-09, 06:44 PM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rode today - thunder boomers in the afternoon so my planned big climb turned into hill repeats and intervals on a lesser hill 5 min from my house. Charged the hill over and over again sprinting up in the big chain ring at max effort and then coasting and rolling for about 5 min and then up again. A good workout and one I think I will do again. If the weather is OK in the AM an 18 mile speed run before work and then rest Friday, a 70 mile fast paced club ride on Sat. Next week it's 5 hrs in the Aluminum tube for a week of meetings in San Francisco. No biking - maybe some time on the hotel stationary bike.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.