Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

Old 08-25-04, 12:44 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
This thread was started in August, 2004, by DnvrFox, shortly after founding the 50+ Forum. The purpose was to give 50+ riders (new, returning, experienced) some idea of the range of what other 50+ riders do in their bicycling.

Some folks come to the 50+ forum with the perspective that most 50+ bicycling is 5 mile rides on a comfort bike. Others believe that 50+ bicycling is a $7,000 carbon frame bike with Dura Ace components ridden by someone in a $200 helmet and $500 of lycra/polyester jersey and shorts and $300 shoes with $200 clips.

Both are right. Read on for yourself.

Over the years, many, many posts have been added. It is one of the most viewed thread ever on the 50+ Forum. It was not a "sticky," then it was a "sticky," then it wasn't a "sticky," and, finally, it is a "sticky" again.

Feel free to browse through the many responses, and to add your own if you like. It is possible that no one will acknowledge your post - but don't feel insulted.

This is likely the most comprehensive collection of 50+ bicyclist information ever compiled, anywhere. Enjoy. Some folks have acknowledged reading every single post - whew!!

Below is the original post.

(DnvrFox, the original poster to this thread, no longer posts in the 50+ forum.)

DnvrFox, the OP
I thought there might be some interest in a thread such as this. If not, it will go the way of all threads - just die away.

So, here is my first contribution.

Some questions:

Please tell us your age.

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life?

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?

If you haven't already, perhaps you might indicate your age. It helps others to see that folks 50+ do great things.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 01-05-13 at 05:25 PM.
Likes For DnvrFox:
Old 08-25-04, 02:03 PM
fujibike

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
I thought there might be some interest in a thread such as this. If not, it will go the way of all threads - just die away.

Some questions:

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides.

Perhaps you might indicate your age on your reply??
50 - 1. Fuji Finest but looking forward to the day to upgrade though this has been a fine bike.
2. No - I do drink Cytomax on my rides though.
3.I'm sure I've slowed down some - my cycling has been erratic over the years.
4. When I'm serious - I'm fairly serious - when I'm not I'm not (see answer 3) Rode my bike alot as a kid.
5. When I'm in my groove during the summer I average 38 mile rides - and do about 120/week
6. 2-3 times per week - I'll do over 2000 miles this year
Old 08-25-04, 02:05 PM
late

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 12161 Post(s)
Liked 1,475 Times in 1,088 Posts
Hi,
I ride an Airborne Carpe Diem most of the time. It's a nice bike.
I take a bunch of supplements and vitamins. I'd contribute a few bucks towards a statue for the guy who came up with the idea of taking glucosamine. Yeah, I'm slower, don't recover as fast. My knees are a mess. I am 54 and have been riding bikes for 50 years. There have been times when I didn't ride; but I liked it when I was a kid; and I keep coming back to it. Last week I did a 5 day trip. Two days of riding, a day off in Camden, Maine, and then 90 miles over 2 days to get back home. I picked up a RX earlier today, it was about 25 miles. I do about 10mph over rolling terrain. In Maine we call that flat. We do a weekend ride on Saturday. Most weekends it's a little longer than the previous ride.
I usually ride a couple times during the week. Sometimes more, depends mostly on how my knees are holding up. I did a thousand miles last year. I have to guess, but I'd say it will be about 1,500 miles this year. I wanted 2K, but the weather in Maine has been cool and rainy all summer. I am building up to a dream trip. A bike across Italy. I could do it now, but I want to have enough stamina to do the ride with style (we are talking Italy, after all) and have a little oomph left at the end of the day to go play tourista. That's my goal. I have 2 years left to get in shape for it.
Likes For late:
Old 08-25-04, 08:56 PM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Some questions:

I ride a schwinn world tourist & Bridgestone xo-1 dressed
to the max for comfort and utility (both bikes)

Yes, a handful of meds plus special vitamin supplements and
minerals.

Yes, I've slowed a BUNCH due to arthritis. Had both knees
replaced and both eyes had catarct lens replacments.

Off & on till 1998 when Arthitis got to bad. Was glad to
get back on a bike this year as part of recovery.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides, commute, tour, race?

Due to my Arthritis my riding is all utility or fun.

Daily when weather permits. I'd guess that between my bikes
and the stationary winter bike about 2000 a year.

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.?

No, none of the above. I'm doing good on some days to walk.

Oh yes, I'm 58 this year.

Last edited by Nightshade; 08-25-04 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-25-04, 11:48 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Trek 5200 road bike most of the time, and a Specialized Stumpjumper for the trails.

Niacin (for cholesterol), folic acid, vit E, C, calcium, B-12, fish oil, selenium, and a small aspirin.

Not much...I'm in much better shape now than when I was 35 (and an overweight smoker). This year I focused on getting my weight down - it was OK before, but now I'm down 10 lbs, at my lowest weight in at least the last 15 years (6' 172 lbs), and can climb much better as a result.

FWIW, I'm 51 years old. At my 50th birthday party someone said something about me being "over the hill". One of my biking buddies chimed in and said, "Yeah, he's always over the hill before the rest of us". It made my day!

Rode a lot when I was a teenager, got out of it until I turned 40, been on the bike(s) ever since.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides, commute, tour, race?

At least one week-long tour each year - Bicycle Tour of Colorado 3 times, OATBRAN (across Nevada), Oregon Coast, San Francisco to LA with the AIDS ride, etc. Plus local centuries and rides that I lead for my club, and the occasional race (I won 2 gold medals at the local Senior Games time trial last year).

Average 3 times per week, shoot for 4000 miles per year (probably average around 3600).

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.?

Weight lifting in the fall and winter, downhill skiing in the winter. Running...almost never.
Old 08-26-04, 06:52 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
[Updated May 3, 2013]
First of all my age: I'm now 68 and in pretty decent shape for my age.

2001 Litespeed Tuscany road bike
2011 Felt Z4 road bike

I see WAY too many people, both older and younger than me, riding recumbents. Their reasoning is that a road bike would be too hard on their bodies (back pain, bumpy roads, too much weight on their hands and arms, etc.). Come on people, get a grip. Road bikes are FUN and great for exercise and fitness.

Vitamin A, multi B, B12, C, D, E, calcium and a few other herbal supplements. And because I have a heart problem (hereditary from my dad ) my cardiologist has me taking 40 mg simvastatin before bed, 81 mg aspirin, and 2000 mg of flush-free niacin (in the morning).

None, I've gotten stronger than my former 240 pound, outta shape self used to be.

I had a Schwinn LeTour from 1985-89. Rode about 75-100 miles a week on the flat roads of central Florida. Work schedule required that I give it up until 1999. I decided that my life and health were more important than any job. Now I ride 100-150 miles a week mostly on the Suncoast Trail in Florida.

Long rides and short rides. No more commuting now that I'm retired.

Three to four days a week, 25-45 miles each ride.
My best year was ~4500 miles.

Walking and some very limited weight training. My wife and I do yoga a couple of days a week.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.

Last edited by RonH; 05-03-13 at 08:45 AM.
Old 08-26-04, 07:52 AM
shokhead

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 6.2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
03 Fuji Marseille Steel
Crap load of Vit/Minerals
Getting better
around 6 yrs.
20-50 miles
100 miles a week
Walking and manual labor at work.
52 in Jan.
My goal is to collect 1 more day of retirement then i will have paid into it for 31 years when i retire at 60,thats one reason why i ride.
Old 08-26-04, 09:27 AM
SteveE
Veni, Vidi, Vomiti

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti, Pivot Vault, Salsa Spearfish

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Serotta Legend Ti, Lemond Poprad, Moseman Tandem

Take a multi-vitamin and a mineral every day 'cause I don't trust my diet!

I don't think I've slowed down too much. I'm stronger now than I was 15 years ago but probably not as strong as 20 years ago. Since moving to CA (in 1997), riding more, and losing weight I've dropped my time on the local benchmark climb from about 27 minutes to under 22 minutes.

I've ridden bikes since I was a kid, stopped during HS and college, picked it up again when I was about 25. Between 1987-1996 I didn't ride as much while the kids were little.

Most of my rides are in the 60-80 mile range. I do about 4 or 5 organized centuries a year. I ride with a racing club and do about 5 RRs a year and get my a$$ handed to me in the Master 45+ group. Next year I'll be racing with the 55+ old farts, so maybe I'll have better results!

I usually bike 3-4 times a week. One or two times during the week and rides both Saturday and Sunday. I don't record my mileage but estimate that I average over 7,000 miles per year.

Cycling pretty much takes up most of my recreational time. I enjoy hiking and try to go skiing a couple of times each winter. I hate running!

I turned 54 this year.
Old 08-26-04, 12:15 PM
Nightshade

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
RonH, could you elucidate a bit more on your decision to use Saw Palmetto?

I have always been leary of herbal supplements.
Saw Palmetto works for me also. It helps with the natural
aging process men have with the prostrate and the urge to
"P" all the time. In Europe I understand that doctors tell
patients to use Saw Palmetto as a medicine.

I've used this supplement for 10+ years now with great results
and no downside.
Old 08-26-04, 02:32 PM
Nightshade

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I take 500mg one a day at B'fast. As to side effects.....NONE
that I've noted. I can tell when I forget a couple of days
though. Oh yea.....I can tell.

You (or others) may have to take more than one up to three
each day to get the desired help. As you might suspect it's
all how...your...body finds the need. Either way don't be
afraid of this supplement as, on balance, it's helped more
men than not. You'll know after a few weeks what your level
is so be patient. When you receive the help you need......
YOU WILL KNOW IT and say ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!

One other thing......
It's unclear if Saw Palmetto will help with dreaded prostrate
cancer......

Last edited by Nightshade; 08-26-04 at 02:40 PM.
Old 08-26-04, 03:03 PM
ctyler
Badger Biker

Bikes: Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Some questions:

Cannondale Saeco CAD 3, Co-Motion Co Pilot, TREK 8000
No
Not at all
14 years
Long rides, short rides, week long tours
20+ times a month
Walk my dog 3-4 miles a day
Old 08-27-04, 08:48 PM
Roger B

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 55 going on 56. Just learned how to ride a bike 17 days ago (grew up in Ney York, always took subway as a kid). Bought a Electra Townie 3 and I tought myself to ride immediately, unfortunately did not know how to use the coaster break or front brake so also learned to stop with my feet. Now building up my endurance. Started with a mile now up to 3, will be up to 5 miles by the end of the month. I try to ride everyday. Major exercise is Tai Chi, elyptical machine, and a lto little weight training. I was really out of shape and overweight, still am but can feel fantastic results in only 17 days. Daily vitamine with Leucopen, also 1000 mg of vit C, 2000 mg of fish oil (omega fatty acids), Condratin, and a suppliment called "Green Earth"from GNC.
Roger
Old 08-27-04, 08:49 PM
shokhead

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 6.2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Everyday might not be good as a day off helps things.
Old 08-27-04, 09:06 PM
Litespeed
Senior Moment

Bikes: Litespeed Blueridge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a 52 yr old female, my husband is 51. I try and ride my bike at least 4 days a week on my lunch hours for about 10 miles, on Saturday, my husband and I ride the tandem about 30 + miles. Then on Sunday we each ride separately. I have been doing an average of 30+ miles. I like to get in a little more but sometimes just don't feel up to it (to hot, to windy etc). My husband probably averages around 60 + miles on each ride. Last two rides he has done over 100. My husband and I also go to the gym 3 days a week and work on strength training for about 1 1/2 hrs. I usually do about 12 different machines and do 6 sets each.
During the week I get up at 4 am to do bicycling on the trainer anywhere from 20 - 45 minutes depending on whether I am going to the gym that day. Then I walk my dog for 40 minutes, at lunch I ride my bike. We take supplements (vitamins) and when we bike ride I use Citomax. I have just started using Endurolytes Power to try and stop the foot cramps at night. We ride road only, no mountain biking. We have been biking for about 7 years. I never really rode as a kid, maybe 2 dozen times so it was a new learning experience for me.
My husband rides a Holland roadbike and I ride a sort of cross bike, it was specially made for me, road bike frame with mountain bike components. My husband and I are definitely in better shape now then we have ever been in our lives. We are hoping that eating right and exercising will keep us out of a rest home.
Old 08-28-04, 06:10 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

will keep us out of a rest home
Some days a "rest home" sounds pretty appealing! (like today)
Old 08-28-04, 07:49 AM
Litespeed
Senior Moment

Bikes: Litespeed Blueridge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you ever actually visited a rest home--it's not a pretty sight. I'm sure all of them aren't like the one my mother was in and some take really good care of their residences but I still don't want to end up in one. If I have to be placed anywhere, take me to a motel and check me in. For about the same price you get your room cleaned every day, can make free local calls, have your own TV, someone will check up on you. You have access to maybe a pool, a workout room, continental breakfast -- a lot of nice things and your family will even probably want to come visit you so they can use the facilities too.
Old 08-28-04, 07:54 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by Litespeed
Have you ever actually visited a rest home--it's not a pretty sight. I'm sure all of them aren't like the one my mother was in and some take really good care of their residences but I still don't want to end up in one. If I have to be placed anywhere, take me to a motel and check me in. For about the same price you get your room cleaned every day, can make free local calls, have your own TV, someone will check up on you. You have access to maybe a pool, a workout room, continental breakfast -- a lot of nice things and your family will even probably want to come visit you so they can use the facilities too.
Oh yeah, I have visited many. My wife and I do musical concerts in nursing and retirement homes. My cousin died in one. My dad died in one. All the way from great to awful.

Just kidding a bit. Sorry to upset you - didn't mean it that way.

Didn't sleep much last night - the word "rest" just caught my attention!

Last edited by DnvrFox; 08-28-04 at 08:05 AM.
Old 08-28-04, 02:21 PM
RonH
Life is good

RonH, could you elucidate a bit more on your decision to use Saw Palmetto?

Do you have varicose veins, or is the Horse Chestnut a preventative?
Here is a link to one of hundreds of articles about Saw Palmetto. I don't have an enlarged prostate and don't plan on it either.
I have varicose veins (hereditary - from my Dad). The horse chestnut is hopefully keeping them from getting worse. Here's an article about it.

Originally Posted by dnvrfox
I have always been leary of herbal supplements.
I've always been leary of prescription meds. I'll always try folk and herbal medicine first.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 08-28-04, 04:48 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by RonH
Here is a link to one of hundreds of articles about Saw Palmetto. I don't have an enlarged prostate and don't plan on it either.
I have varicose veins (hereditary - from my Dad). The horse chestnut is hopefully keeping them from getting worse. Here's an article about it.

I've always been leary of prescription meds. I'll always try folk and herbal medicine first.
Thanks, Ron. Glad to hear it is working for you.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 08-29-04 at 05:10 AM.
Old 08-28-04, 09:38 PM
Red Baron

Bikes: Not enough

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

UPDATED 10/18/04

Please tell us your age.

LITESPEED ARENBERG (90%)
TREK 5500
****CALFEE TETRA TRI (BARELY RIDDEN) - - SOLD THIS.
Bought a Lemond BA
Also bought Schwinn Le Tour 100th anniversery model

MY FAITHFUL SCHWINN VARSITY I No Londer Ride.

YEP - VITAMIN E, & B1 (FOR NERVE DAMAGE REPAIR), glucosomine and chondroitin, 400mg 2x/day ,
SR 'ONE A DAY' AND FIBER METAMUCIL (SP?) in TABLET form.

ACTUALLY FASTER, RACED 20 MILES IN 73, AVGED 21.7 MOH, HAVE ACTUALLY HIT 24.4 SAME DISTANCE LAST YEAR (HAD A TAILWIND).
BUT HILLS ARE QUITE A BIT HARDER.

WAS ON AIR FORCE SQUADRON RACING TEAM. (FUN)

STRICTLY ROAD, CALFEE TETRA TRI WAS TOO HARD ON BACK AND LEGS, TREID MOUNTAIN BIKE BUT HURTS SHOULDER (SURGERY FOR LABRAL TEAR 2 YEARS AGO- DIDN'T HELP MUCH)

I'M AT 2205, TRY TO RIDE 75/WEEK

RUNNING TOO HARD ON KNEES, SOME WEIGHTS, BUT WALK ALOT!!!!! HUNT HARD - ARCHERY AND GUN.

Perhaps you might indicate your age on your reply?? - AGAIN PHYSICALLY = 57, MENTALLY FEEL BETTER THAN I DID AT 35.
BIGGEST THING I HAVE TROUBLE WITH IS 2 THINGS. 1, THE STRENGTH TO BACK OFF AND TAKE IT EASY FOR PROPER REVOVERY. AND 2, LOOSING FRIENDS AS THEY DON'T HAVE THE 'MENTAL' STRENGTH TO STAY WITH PROPER EXCERISE.

Last edited by Red Baron; 10-18-04 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-29-04, 05:43 AM
RonH
Life is good

Sorry for the quick reply above. Had to get off the computer.

I have varicose veins (hereditary - from my Dad). The horse chestnut is hopefully keeping them from getting worse.
I have BAD v veins in my left leg. No pain or discomfort, just looks bad. Talked to a vascular surgeon about it two years ago. He said it would require surgery (stripping the veins) and they could come back in another area of the leg. Told him no thanks. Last month I talked to another doc about laser treatment for them. He said the right leg was a candidate but the left leg would require surgery. Same story, same answer.
So I'm still taking the horse chestnut hoping it will stop the spread and keep the vein size and appearance under control.
If you're interested here is link to a picture (not me - found on the web) of what my left leg kinda looks like. https://www.cosmetic-lasersurg.com/_b...aricose1_1.jpg

If you have or are developing them see a doctor. The laser thing can be done in the morning and you can be riding the next day. Surgery requires several days in the hospital and no riding for a couple of weeks. Neither treatment option offers any guarantees that v veins won't show up somewhere else in the legs at a later time.

Old 08-29-04, 05:53 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

It you have or are developing them see a doctor. The laser thing can be done in the morning and you can be riding the next day. Surgery requires several days in the hospital and no riding for a couple of weeks. Neither treatment option offers any guarantees that v veins won't show up somewhere else in the legs at a later time.
I am fine, but my wife has varicose veins.

Some idiot MD stripped her leg when she was 19 yo! She was a nursing student, and I guess he wanted to practice.

SO far, the best thing for her has been biking, which has improved her legs quite a bit. She will stay far away from another stripping.

Incidentally, I am finding this thread facinating and fun to read.
Old 08-29-04, 01:34 PM
oldspark

Bikes: Trek 7000 and a Trek 1200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One of the best things you can do for your kids and grand kids is maintain a good level of health. Biking is one thing that makes this easy for me.
Old 08-30-04, 05:40 AM
RonH
Life is good

Incidentally, I am finding this thread facinating and fun to read.
Me too.

Old 08-30-04, 07:00 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

We have identified 46 of us who are 50+, including 9 who are 60-64.

I will be 65 soon, so I almost fit the next category. 65-69.

A couple of thoughts on some place (forum, thread, whatever) dedicated to folks 50+

1. Folks who are 50+ and who are considering starting a fitness program are at times quite unsure about themselves, what they can do, what goals might be appropriate, training techniques, etc. When they discover a forum such as BicycleForum in their search for answers, it may be comforting to see that they are not alone - that there are others engaged in similar pursuits.

I see a number of introductory posts like "At 52, I am old, but want to start getting exercise. etc., etc." Some folks think they are way over the hill at 50, likely because they feel that way. A senior place allows them to discover what other folks their age and older are doing in the way of fitness.

2. Some of the younger folks on the forum believe that someone 50+ is "elderly" and pretty much also over the hill. Likely this is the example that they have at home in their own family. I think it is eye=opening to some of them to see that folks 50+ go on centuries, tours, can ride Litespeeds and Airborne and bent's (not just "comfort" bikes) and bike 1000's of miles each year. Some weight lift, run and do other things. It is nice to have a place where they can see the combined "force" of 50+ riders at least in this forum, and may also give the younger folks the impetus to get their own family non-exercising members involved in some fitness activities.

3. Much of the perception of what folks 50+ can and should do fitness-wise, in the fitness world, in the press, in MD's eyes, is generally very light modified exercises - that kind of thing. The things that folks 50+ do as expressed in this forum just blows that concept away.

But anyway, these are my thoughts.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 08-30-04 at 07:38 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.