Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

Old 08-30-04, 04:47 PM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 250 Posts
Make that 47 of us.
Please tell us your age: 64

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride? Touring: 84Specialized Expedition, 83Centurion Pro Tour, 86?Nashbar Sport Tour, 86?Motobecane Grand Tour; Road: 04Torelli Gran Sasso, 92?Bianchi Trofeo, 78Motobecane Grand Jubile, 70s Alpine, 71Raleigh SuperCourse, 85Miyata SevenTen, 76?Gitane, Fuji Grand Schwinn WorldSport, 79Centurion LeMans; Mountain: Spalding 18; CycleCross: 80Colnago

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?

Multi Vitamin once or twice weekly.

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any? Probably have lost 1/3 of my speed & stamina from my late teens/late twenties prime.

4. How long have you been biking? Rode a lot growing up. Commuted daily for 5 years in the 60s, commuted daily 4 years in the 80s & just resumed commuting daily 3 years ago.

5. What type of biking do you do? commute & recreational rides.

6. How often do you bike? 6 days a week. Your approximate annual mileage? 3,000

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - Built my present home over a 5 year period, since then gardening & yard work, home maintenance + rowing/fishing, hunting my 2 dogs.

Last edited by ollo_ollo; 01-07-05 at 09:22 PM.
Old 09-03-04, 04:32 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10872 Post(s)
Liked 4,529 Times in 2,076 Posts
OK, I'm male, 53, and have been logging miles (124,000) since 1982.

1. I ride 2 high-racer twin 650c recumbents, one steel and one titanium. I also ride an aluminum tandem with my wife, also 53.

2. I take a multiple vitamin, an enteric aspirin, BP medicine, and a TBSP of Metamucil daily; all prescribed by my doctor.

3. I was a Cat 2 racer in my 30s and very successful Masters racer. Now as a fat old guy, I feel I've lost 2-4 mph on the average.

4. I rode continuously until 15 and then started biking seriously at 31. 124,000 miles since 1982.

5. recreational rides.

6. I ride 5 days a week in the summer and 2-3 days a week in winter. I'll ride 5000+ miles this year.

7. I golf, work outdoors and ride a Fluid^2 trainer in the winter.
Old 09-07-04, 12:43 AM
greywolf
aka old dog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Ron could you please send me the details of that 50+ cycling book ? My son sent me some book tokens for my birthday & that would seem like a good choice I'le more than likely have to order it though ,thanks
greywolf
Old 09-07-04, 08:43 AM
oldspark

Bikes: Trek 7000 and a Trek 1200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it's OK with you I'll jump in with the book and author as I just got mine last week.
Cycling Past 50-Joe Friel
I just did a search and came up with all sorts of places that had it.
Old 09-08-04, 05:29 PM
greywolf
aka old dog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oldspark
If it's OK with you I'll jump in with the book and author as I just got mine last week.
Cycling Past 50-Joe Friel
I just did a search and came up with all sorts of places that had it.
Thanks, Iwill try & get one this week
greywolf
Old 09-08-04, 06:25 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by greywolf
Thanks, Iwill try & get one this week
greywolf
Last time i checked it was on sale at Amazon
Old 09-08-04, 06:31 PM
greywolf
aka old dog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Thanks Denver but I've got book-tokens so I think I'll have to source it localy .
Old 09-08-04, 07:50 PM
Bop Bop
The Iceman cometh!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been watching this thread for a while and thought I'd finally put my 2 cents in.

I'm as 55 year old grandfather who could not agree with Oldspark more, not only are grandchildren the greatest, but they are the greatest reason to keep going.

I have Cycling Past 50 and it is an excellent book.

I ride an EZ Sport Ltd "Bent". I've been riding for the last year, however only seriously for the last 4 months. Due to the temps in AZ this time of the year I can only ride early on weekend mornings (have to work on the other days). I will be adding more rides as we get closer to the end of September and the temps start dropping.

Four months ago I started by going around the corner twice (hurt myself last year and had not been on the bike since November 03). Last Sunday I did my longest ride 30 miles (averaged 12.08 mph, not fast but steady).

Just signed up for my first Metric Century on November 7th, Ride for the Children.
Old 09-09-04, 08:29 AM
bnet1
'Bent Brian

Bikes: Trek 1000, Rans Tailwind

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Add me to the 50+ list. I am 53. Also gone 'bent and loving it! I have no idea as to the miles. Never had a speedometer or odometer until I got the 'bent this spring!

'bent Brian
Old 09-10-04, 07:22 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by bnet1
Add me to the 50+ list. I am 53. Also gone 'bent and loving it!

Originally Posted by RonH
I see WAY too many people, both older and younger than me, riding recumbents. Their reasoning is that a road bike would be too hard on their bodies (back pain, bumpy roads, too much weight on their hands and arms, etc.). Come on people, get a grip. Road bikes are FUN and great for exercise and fitness.
I'll ask it again since bnet1 rides a bent. What is it with older riders and bents? I just don't get it. I tried riding one once, and just like mountain bikes, it wasn't my kinda bike. So what's the big fascination with bents?

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 09-10-04, 08:47 AM
hockey

Bikes: Trek 5200, Giant Rainier, Devinci Destination,Motobecane CF, Bike Friday family tandem, Bike Friday NWT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?

I ride a 2003 OCR 3. I have added new wheels and profile century bars.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?

Chondroitin, multi-vitamin, B12, Folic Acid,calcium, vitamin E

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?

Bike speed is about 34 km/hr average during my races. (Olypmic Tri)

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life?

Biking on and off all of my life. But have consistently ridden for the past 4 years.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides, commute, tour, race?

I usually ride 40-60 kms, 6 days a week in the good weather and 2 days a week in the winter months, weather permitting. I usually complete 2 centuries per year and a number of metric centuries.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?

Annual mileage is 7500 kms.

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.?

I run, bike, swim, lift weights, play ice hockey 4 times a week, golf, fish.

Perhaps you might indicate your age on your reply??

Old 09-11-04, 06:18 AM
greywolf
aka old dog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ordered the book to-day, might have to wait 15 working days for it to arrive .
Old 09-11-04, 02:01 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10872 Post(s)
Liked 4,529 Times in 2,076 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
I'll ask it again since bnet1 rides a bent. What is it with older riders and bents? I just don't get it. I tried riding one once, and just like mountain bikes, it wasn't my kinda bike. So what's the big fascination with bents?
Well, there are bents and then there are bents. They are much more diverse than road bikes. There are long wheel base, short wheel base, low-racers, high-racers, to name a few styles. They are made of chromoly, carbon fiber, and titanium. The low racers are faaaaaassst on the track and flats and the high racers can keep up with uprights in all but the hilliest terrain.

I own 2 high-racers. The first is a Volae Team that is chromoly with a carbon fiber seat and Dura-Ace components. The second is a Bacchetta Aero which has a titanium frame, carbon fiber seat and cranks, and Ultegra drivetrain. Both run 650c wheels. The Team has Ksyriums and the Aero has Spartacus Pro wheels.

I got in to bents due to prostate cancer. Even though I can now ride uprights again, I don't except for a Santana Sovereign that I ride with my wife. In fact, I finally sold my last 2 uprights this summer. One was a Serotta Colorado and the other was an Eisentraut Rainbow, both Campy equipped with all the bells and whistles. I just don't need them any more. I have no problem riding a bent with a group of young racers on uprights, even at my ripe old age of 53. I generally place in the top 3 of group sprints and instigate a lot of breakaways.

Any more questions? BTW, for the uninitiated, here's a pic of my Aero:

Old 09-11-04, 03:10 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by greywolf
Ordered the book to-day, might have to wait 15 working days for it to arrive .
Heck, if you are retired I guess it would never come!
Old 09-11-04, 07:02 PM
Travelinguyrt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Am mid 60s ride an 04 TREK 1000c, nice bike, suits me, priced right, was offered more than I paid for it several times while in Europe, liked it well enuf to say no. thanks.

Take aspirin, multi vitamins and Folic acid, plus Hi Blood preasure meds all on DRs instructions

Def not slowing down, how do I know?.....just finished several months in Europe on my bike and heading to SF end of month to ride the PCH to Malibu then to Joshua Tree to do some climbing,back to Europe in April for 4-5 months biking and climbing

Started biking at 5 yrs, stopped for a time while in the USAF and was transferred almost every 90 days, but resumed and have been riding since

Like to do touring, short rides, no races, use bike rather than vehicle for short errands around town

Try to do 15-20 miles a day minimum, year round, longer on weekends when buds have a day off to ride with me. Did 1200 Kilometers in Europe before I lost the bike putr
Old 09-11-04, 07:21 PM
bikeman
Lovin' my Fixie

Bikes: Litespeed Classic, C-Dale MT1000, 80's Trek 770, 2005 Raleigh Rush Hour Pro, Fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is my contribution to a neat idea for a thread. Nice to know I'm not alone as an over 50 cyclist. My non-cycling friends think I'm a little nuts and need to grow up. What do they know?

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?
I ride a 5 year old Litespeed Classic, Ultegra with Mavic Ksyrium wheelset. I also commute on a Cannondale MTB Caad 2 set up with fenders and lights. I had a tandem and sold it recently. I also have an older Trek from the 80's that is set up for flat rides with a fixed gear.

No supplements at all. I just eat right and watch my cholesteral levels which tend to be high although I'm skinny looking but well toned legs.

Definately a bit. I usually take 7-10 miles on a long ride to start feeling good. Still a pretty good sprint but suffer on the hills (don't we all?)

Started riding on a decent bike when I was 14 years old. Rode a lot as a young person, gave it up for a while after college to start to raise a family. Really picked it up seriously again in the 80's when I saved up enough to get my Trek 770 (that is the bike that is now the fixed-gear). Went crazy 5 years ago when I got my Litespeed (with the blessings of my lovely spouse

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides, commute, tour, race?
All kinds. Commute to and from work depending on distance from my job. I also ride club rides during the cycling season (hey it's Ohio and you can't ride much in February) as well as a couple rides each weekend. During the summer I've ridden as much as 250 miles in the week. I like rides that are from 40-75 miles but have done lots of century rides. Did a little racing but Crits scare me. I don't like to break collar bones (did that ONCE on a commute home - long story).

I ride during the season at least 3 times a week. I'm currently looking for work after a downsizing so I do ride during the week when I get sick of looking for a decent job. All my friends are jealous - of the afternoon rides not the unemployment part of course. Had a late start this year and have the lowest mileage in a long time with coming up on 2200. Usual yearly mileage is 3000-4000.

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.?
I ride the wind-trainer in the winter, hike and some weight training although I hate that part. Never really liked skiing after badly twisting my ankle while X-country skiing once.

I'm 52 years old and my friends think I look much younger. Helps not to have a mid-age bulge in the gut.
Old 09-13-04, 03:20 AM
ruchai

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I given my youngest son a Klein Performance roadbike and a Gary Fisher Sugar3 on my 74th birthday. I am now riding a Giant Revive semi-recumbent and a Giant Halfway folder.

Multivitamins, vit E, selenium, and fish oil.

I used to ride my road bike 50 km/day when I was in my fiftiies, bow I ride 15 km/day.

Since I was 4 years old. I biked all my life.

I used to comute but now mostly for exercises.

I bike practically every day. About 4-5 thoundsands kms/year.

Walking.
Old 09-13-04, 05:52 AM
bnet1
'Bent Brian

Bikes: Trek 1000, Rans Tailwind

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The fascination with 'bents? They are cool pieces of engineering. There is a whole plethora of configurations and types. They are fast. They are extremely comfortable. And they are a blast to ride. I'm one of 3 'bent riders in a local cycling club. I can easily keep up with all but the fastest young riders on club rides, including hills. The most important thing is I'm having fun. Isn't that what cycling is all about anyway? And nothing gets sore anymore!

'bent Brian
Old 09-13-04, 06:40 AM
boyze

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
52, raced cat 2 in the 80's, ride for fitness now at roughtly 5 hours/week on a MB, no drugs, run and x-ski during the snowy months, can still climb my favorites, have ridden pretty steadily for 24 years except for a 4-5 where I focused on inline skating or running
Old 09-13-04, 08:00 AM
shokhead

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 6.2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ruchai

I given my youngest son a Klein Performance roadbike and a Gary Fisher Sugar3 on my 74th birthday. I am now riding a Giant Revive semi-recumbent and a Giant Halfway folder.

Multivitamins, vit E, selenium, and fish oil.

I used to ride my road bike 50 km/day when I was in my fiftiies, bow I ride 15 km/day.

Since I was 4 years old. I biked all my life.

I used to comute but now mostly for exercises.

I bike practically every day. About 4-5 thoundsands kms/year.

Walking.
1. I ride the same as under 50 ride.
2. Any age should be taking that stuff.
3. Faster and longer. LOL
4. As a kid,stopped, did some more,stopped,did more and didnt stop.
5. Ride for fun and health.
6.100 miles a wwk,4days.
7. I work 5 days a aweek and walk fast for most of the 8 hour days,some heavy lifting.
Old 09-13-04, 08:07 AM
greywolf
aka old dog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heck, if you are retired I guess it would never come!
True ,I've got some leave coming up , hope I get it before then or I will have to wait even longer !
Old 09-14-04, 12:46 PM
Jessica
cut my gas use in half

Bikes: walmart beater, Dahon boardwalk, A bike, schwinn tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some questions:
Please tell us your age.
50, 51 soon...
piece a **** mtn bike from walmart plus fenders, rack and computer.... but it gets me there!!!
not about getting older, take multi vit and calcium/magnesium/zinc since i don't drink milk or eat much meat.
Nope, sped up since i returned to my natural form of transportation, the BIKE
I have used a bike for transportation several 5 year periods in my life, college, young parent, back to college, short commutes, this time I won't quit again!!
Commute. And chores. I am thinking about trying to get up for a century.... club rides don't do anything for me... I can't keep up and have fun, too...
Currently about 5-6 days a week, about 2000 miles per year...
YOGA!! but I only do this and biking because it is fun!! I guess i do have to admit I enjoy the fact that the combination has allowed me to lose 70 lbs.
Old 09-14-04, 12:58 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by Jessica
YOGA!! but I only do this and biking because it is fun!! I guess i do have to admit I enjoy the fact that the combination has allowed me to lose 70 lbs.
WOW!!
Old 09-16-04, 10:57 PM
sorebutt
Über member!

Bikes: 2004 Albert Eisentraut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
a '04 Custom Steel by Albert Eisentraut and a '01 Giant OCR1

one-a-day and some Potassium when I ride or workout

I started riding after 15 years of not doing anything.. so now I am in the best shape of my life.. In the past 3 years I lost over 100lb..

4 years, after a short break of 30 years...

about 40-75 mile rides, with 3000' to 5000' feet climbs

twice a week between 75 and 120 miles a week

I lift weights 4 times a week.. (I lift heavy)

Last edited by sorebutt; 09-16-04 at 11:10 PM.
Old 09-17-04, 12:53 AM
froze
Banned.

Bikes: 84 Trek 660 Suntour Superbe; 87 Giant Rincon Shimano XT; 07 Mercian Vincitore Campy Veloce

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'll answer by the same number order you gave; by the way I'm 51.

1) I still ride my steel road race bike I use to race on 20 years ago! With tight racing geometry.
2) I do not take any special suppliments, in fact take less now then I did 20 years ago because I learned most of it is rip off.
3) Yes, I have slowed down; but due to time constraints with family and work commitments, I no longer ride 1,000 miles a month like I did in my race days, now I average 400 to 450 miles a month. So most of my slowing is due to training and a small percentage of that is due to age.
4) I've been riding bikes all my life; I started riding seriously when I was 17 but then stopped to buy a car and do the girl scene, then got back into again competitively at age 19 and raced until age 35. All during that time I also used the bike to commute in addition to my training miles.
5) I ride a rode bike exclusively, did dabble with MTB for about a year back in 87 but didn't like it. Most of my riding is what I call short to medium distance-3 days out of the week I'm doing 18-30 miles each day and one day out of the week I'll do 60-100 miles; and I still commute. Up intil 6 months ago I lived in California (since 15) and most of my riding there was in the mountains even up intill the time I left, now I live in Indiana and it's mostly flat here.
6) My monthly mileage average is between 400 and 450 miles.
7) I weight train about 3 days a week (when I'm not on the bike), but don't push a huge amount of weight to look like the Hulk-my body type wouldn't look like that anyway!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.