Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

Old 09-17-04, 08:42 AM
joeprim

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi
I'M 61 ride a Motive MTB and a Banchie Volpe My old Horizon is now mounted to a trainor. I ride a couple of times most weeks, but the rain and other stuff got in the way this week. I lift weights ~3 times a week. I thak 1 vitiman pill and one G-C for joints.

Joe
Old 09-17-04, 01:20 PM
JimLane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

1. 1991 Tommasini 15th Anniversary/Yeti AS-R

2. Daily vitamin w/antioxidants, small aspirin (unless riding hard, then a couple befroe the ride), calcium citrate.

3. Faster as I only got serious about riding in May.

4. Rode until I was 18 and then again after a 30-year layoff. At 48, doc said exercise or paddles on your chest. Bought my first MTB the next day. Light cardio rides until recently.

5. Hour or two rides. Hitting 100 miles per week regularly (up from about 100 per month). Geting into more climbing.

6. 3-4 times per week as best I can.

7. Nope. I realize the need for upper body strength. Looking at what the rest of us are doing gives me some direction.
Old 09-17-04, 02:08 PM
lightplay

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?
Trek fuel mtb.
Cannondale r1000 road

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?
no

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?
actually I have gotten stronger. Better diet and better focus.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life?
15 yrs mountain bike off and on. 2 yrs road with the last being very focused.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides, commute, tour, racing.
Don't race yet. no commute but all else is game.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?
Ride about four times a week. about 15 m when I Mountain bike and 15 to 30m when I road ride.

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.?
weight lifting, snow boarding, surfing and wind surfing.

Perhaps you might indicate your age on your reply??
will be 50 this oct 16
Old 09-18-04, 07:42 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
As I read through the posts, two things strike me:

1. The 50+ bicyclers who have responded are generally pretty sophisticated bicycling folks, riding high quality machines, road bikes, other types of bikes, and are into "real" riding, not the typical stereotype that many have of "seniors" or "elderly" riders out for a Sunday ride.

2. The number of folks who also lift weights. As you gain more maturity in life, lifting weights is increasingly important to counter natural muscle loss and to fight against osteoporosis. Unfortunately, bicycling does not help in osteo prevention at all, as it actually promotes osteoporosis, so it is really important to do the resistive exercise activities. I happen to love doing them, so it is easy for me.

We now have 78 bicyclists on the forum who have self-identified themselves as 50+.

Good job, everyone.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 09-19-04 at 06:18 AM.
Old 09-19-04, 12:44 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10872 Post(s)
Liked 4,529 Times in 2,076 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
We now have 78 bicyclists on the forum who have self-identified themselves as 50+.
The only problem is, that none of us can remember if we posted or not.
Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 09-19-04, 06:15 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
The only problem is, that none of us can remember if we posted or not.
It is OK - the net software program has it set so you can only vote once!

Indicate you are 50+ at:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=63147
Old 09-19-04, 06:34 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10872 Post(s)
Liked 4,529 Times in 2,076 Posts
It is OK - the net software program has it set so you can only vote once!

Indicate you are 50+ at:

OK, now can you find my car keys for me?
Old 09-19-04, 06:42 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
OK, now can you find my car keys for me?
They are next to mine - wherever that is!

Indicate you are 50+ at:

Last edited by DnvrFox; 09-19-04 at 07:21 AM.
Old 09-19-04, 09:12 AM
boyze

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unfortunately, bicycling does not help in osteo prevention at all, as it actually promotes osteoporosis.
Are their sources discussing and documenting this effect? This is the first time I've seen this. My intuition tells me that moderate to hard riding is nearly the same as moderate to hard lifting. I gotta believe that leg presses are similar to my powering the bike and my butt up a 15% hill. It's working the legs, back, arms ...., and stressing all the associated bones. Please tell me more
Old 09-19-04, 09:44 AM
jukt

Bikes: trek - lemond

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fifty is the new thirty.
Old 09-19-04, 10:12 AM
John00

Bikes: 2 TiSports and a Ho Ko E Koo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

I have a Ti road bike and a Ti soft tail MTB both from Titanium Sports Technology

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?

I take a daily multi vitamin and some multi mineral tabs and a soy protein powder because I'm a vegetarian and don't always get enough protein in my regular diet

I think I'm getting stronger

14 yrs on a mountain bike, mostly on the road and 2 years on the road bike.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides, commute, tour, racing.

Long rides with as many hills as I can find, I did 3 100 mile rides last month.

I ride 2-3 times a week usually 3 hours per ride, but some days I go longer and ride 5-6 hours.

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.?

I was doing a lot of sea kayaking, but I broke my collarbone 15 months ago on my MTB and it never healed, so I cant go out until I have surgery.

Perhaps you might indicate your age on your reply?

I'll be 55 next month.
Old 09-19-04, 11:04 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by boyze
Are their sources discussing and documenting this effect? This is the first time I've seen this. My intuition tells me that moderate to hard riding is nearly the same as moderate to hard lifting. I gotta believe that leg presses are similar to my powering the bike and my butt up a 15% hill. It's working the legs, back, arms ...., and stressing all the associated bones. Please tell me more
Extensive article in Bicycling Magazine with research. Bicycling simply does not have enough vibration for the osteoclasts to redeposit after your sweating takes them out.

Some of the most elite bikers have bones of 70-80 year olds. This has been a topic of discussion for a number of years now.

Please see:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...rosis+magazine
Old 09-19-04, 02:17 PM
oldspark

Bikes: Trek 7000 and a Trek 1200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Extensive article in Bicycling Magazine with research. Bicycling simply does not have enough vibration for the osteoclasts to redeposit after your sweating takes them out.

Some of the most elite bikers have bones of 70-80 year olds. This has been a topic of discussion for a number of years now.

Please see:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...rosis+magazine
That kind of shoots down the theory that weight lifting is not helping your cycling, but one could argue it only helps your health and not performance. I'll take health over speed any day of the week.
Old 09-22-04, 11:05 AM
JimLane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One of the news weeklies - Time or Newsweek, I think, ran an aticle asking if 70 was today's 50. Upshot was that a lot of people are doing today at 70 what people quit doing at 50 in years past.
Old 09-22-04, 01:04 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by JimLane
One of the news weeklies - Time or Newsweek, I think, ran an aticle asking if 70 was today's 50. Upshot was that a lot of people are doing today at 70 what people quit doing at 50 in years past.
Well, if 50 yesterday is 70 today, then it follows that 30 yesterday is 50 today. And 50 or 70 is so much better than stating old or elderly!

Folks around here know I do not appreciate terms like "elderly" and "old."

The reason is that "elderly" and "old" are terms that carry a whole lot of baggage, most of it negative, and really have absolutely no meaning in regards to any one person's functioning or age. "Elderly" or "old" to someone 20 is quite different than "elderly" or "old" to someone 60.

If we have to have an age-related reference, I much prefer simply stating an age. What is wrong with that? Although still not clarifying the physical and/or mental condition of the person, it is at least accurate.

So, instead of "an elderly driver was going down the street" how about "a person about 75 was driving down the street." Now we all at least know what age we are talking about.
Old 09-22-04, 02:46 PM
JimLane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, if 50 yesterday is 70 today, then it follows that 30 yesterday is 50 today. And 50 or 70 is so much better than stating old or elderly!

Folks around here know I do not appreciate terms like "elderly" and "old."

The reason is that "elderly" and "old" are terms that carry a whole lot of baggage, most of it negative, and really have absolutely no meaning in regards to any one person's functioning or age. "Elderly" or "old" to someone 20 is quite different than "elderly" or "old" to someone 60.

If we have to have an age-related reference, I much prefer simply stating an age. What is wrong with that? Although still not clarifying the physical and/or mental condition of the person, it is at least accurate.

So, instead of "an elderly driver was going down the street" how about "a person about 75 was driving down the street." Now we all at least know what age we are talking about.

Again, the upshot of the article is that people of 70 today are engaging in activities that previous generations would not do beyond their 50s because of a change in the way we think about stuff (absolutely the most important factor) or that were deemed to be stuff for "younger" people - not suitable for "older" people or a variety of other reasons.

How someone gets hung up on labels like old or so on is a personal thing. A lot of the younger somethings I know think it is cool/rad/phat/what have you that someone my age likes the same music they do and knows a thing or two about it.

I guess the age paradox can be clearly seen in US attitude/perspective about a situation like Anna Nichol Smith being with someone 50+ years older than she and the European "so what?" perspective. It was not primarily about someone marrying about money, it was - at the core - about age disparity. The US has a p[roblem with it, other cultures not so much.

You are as old as you think you are, you are as young as you think you are. It is the attitude that counts most. We all know someone who was "old" when they were 20 because of their attitude and beliefs and we all know someone 70 years young.
Old 09-22-04, 04:43 PM
shokhead

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 6.2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think old people are to old. 50 plus and it lights out. Downhill. This world is for young people.
Old 09-22-04, 05:37 PM
late

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 12161 Post(s)
Liked 1,475 Times in 1,088 Posts
Hey Shokhead,
I have some good news, and some bad news. The bad news is that we are going to live longer, and stay healthier, than any generation in human history. The good news is that you will live even longer, and prob be even healthier. The world is for the living.
Have fun, you don't stay young for very long at all.
Old 09-22-04, 06:49 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

SHokhead, as you indicated that you are in your 50's, you must be having a bad - day - month - year?

If the world is for young people, then you might as well roll over and plant yourself in 6 feet of wonderful dirt!
Old 09-23-04, 07:59 AM
shokhead

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 6.2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not going uinderground,burn me to a crisp,after 91. I have to stay around to collect 1 more day of retirement then i paid into it and that means collecting from 60 to 91.
Old 09-23-04, 09:58 PM
Mojo Slim
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I'm 57

I was riding a Schwinn Varsity 10 speed that I bought used in 1972. Finally bought a Giant ATX760 in 1996, rode it both on the road and trails. In 2003 I got a Bianchi Eros.

I don't take anything special, just a "silver" multi-vitamin, extra E and sellenium. And, of course, red wine.

I haven't slowed down. I'm actually in better shape than a few years ago.

I ride for fitness and fun. Now that I am retired (64 days!) I am riding more. In fact, people I don't even know are stopping me to say they saw me 'way out of town on some hill. I average 130-150 miles a week, riding about 5 days a week. Nothing under 15 miles at a time and I try to get in a couple 50 - 70 milers a month. I've done a few centuries, too. I've put 5000 miles on my road bike in 30 months. I live in snow country, so can't ride much from October to March.

Riding is my primary exercise. I walk with my wife now and then, a little golf. I climbed 62 stairs several times a day for 33 years and 12 days when I was working.
Old 09-24-04, 11:08 AM
Figaro
Fortunatissimo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought there might be some interest in a thread such as this. If not, it will go the way of all threads - just die away.

So, here is my first contribution.

Some questions:

Please tell us your age.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides, commute, tour, race?

Perhaps you might indicate your age on your reply??
Please tell us your age.

59 years old

My main ride ride is a new, black Mondonico Futura Leggero with Campy Centaur. My beater is an old Club Fuji six-speed. My old ride was a 1999 Schwinn Supersport which was wrecked when I was hot by a car 7 months ago.

I have always taken a high-quality, vegetarian multi from the health food store. I take an extra 1000 mgs of Vitamin C daily. In the flu and cold season I take Echinacea and Goldenseal. I also take saw palmetto as advised by my urologist.

I have not slowed down. After years in classrooms and offices, I have become an outdoor person in retirement. I have become more active and fit than ever before.

I have been biking on and off for 35 years. About 5 years ago, I started my most serious period of cycling.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides, commute, tour, race?

I do mostly long training rides and commuting.

I cycle 5 days a week for an annual total of about 7,500 miles. This year will be a lot less because I could not ride at all for 5 months due to a broken leg from being hit by a car.

In addition to cycling, I surf and practice yoga. I teach four yoga classes a week and sub as a spin teacher a few times a month. While I was laid up with the broken leg, I couldn't do any lower body workout, so I started to work out with weights again in the upper body. It was really great to get back to lifting.
Old 09-24-04, 03:20 PM
boilermaker1

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
I'm 55, retired in February.

I have a Trek comfort bike, Navigator 100

I take Walgreens vitamins and drink Metamucil

I've picked-up but only because I've lost 85 pounds in the last year.

Well I biked as a kid, started again several months ago.

Around town, in forest preserves and on paths. I "stroll". I'm after exercise and entertainment.

Every day, at least 10 miles a day and usually 15-20

I do push-ups and sit-ups every day.

By the way, I don't mind being called old or considered old. 55 is the beginning of old. You are what you are. Who cares anyway?

Last edited by boilermaker1; 09-24-04 at 03:26 PM.
Old 09-24-04, 05:00 PM
orguasch
riding a Pinarello Prince

Bikes: Pinarello, Prince and an FP5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Pinarello Prince

No, I don't take any kind of medicine

I am going strong.

I have bike for almost 50 years

Tour and race and club Ride

Every opportunity I get, I jump on my bike, annual distance, about 10,000 kilometers

oh before I forgot I am 56 years old

Perhaps you might indicate your age on your reply??[/QUOTE]
Old 09-24-04, 05:31 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

55 is the beginning of old
Oh - I thought 70 was the beginning of old!

Or was it 80?

Or was it 55?

Or was it 75?

Or is it 65?

Is there a manual somewhere?

Is there a law somewhere?

Just HOW do you know that 55 is the beginning of old?

Please see the poll about when "old" starts at:

https://www.bikeforums.net/poll.php?d...lts&pollid=766

HELP!!

Last edited by DnvrFox; 09-24-04 at 06:53 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.