Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Pub 51

Old 03-06-13, 06:12 AM
maddmaxx 
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
It's a continuation of a bad idea.

50+ has always had the reputation of being a relaxed place to ask questions without being told to move along (to another forum) or to be made to feel uncomfortable for asking. IMO there is a policy change being put in place here. If so you are welcome to it at your own peril.

Bruce nailed it. We are cyclists and we are of a certain age group. It's never been just another forum topic.

Last edited by maddmaxx; 03-06-13 at 06:17 AM.
Old 03-06-13, 06:25 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
And where is the beer, anyway?

Sorry, I forgot - they don't do free beer at the Senior Centers!
Old 03-06-13, 06:30 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 45 Posts
If you want this place rockin', import a few of the young Foo babes and have them say they've always found mature older men really hot.

Old 03-06-13, 06:53 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan

Which is why I've never gone to one.
Old 03-06-13, 06:54 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
If you want this place rockin', import a few of the young Foo babes and have them say they've always found mature older men really hot.
Got phone numbers?
Old 03-06-13, 06:59 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 292 Posts
There is a song that is so annoying and obnoxious that my son threatened me with bodily damage (well not really, but he didn't like it) if I ever played it in his presence again. I've never met anyone who can get half-way through it without trying to gouge out their eardrums with a sharp object.

The song: "I'm so cute" by Frank Zappa, from his Sheik Yerbouti album.

It only made sense that I should do a cover.

Instead of any number of things I need to be doing, I just recorded the first eighth of the song on my GarageBand for iPad. I'm going to use chipmunk voices for the chorus, and for the solos also. My own voice sounds a bit like Zappa's, so I figure I have his lines covered pretty well. When it's done, I'll post it to Soundcloud.

Then I'll be arrested and shipped down to Gitmo. I'll keep you posted.
You have wayyyyy too much free time. Stick to watching The Batchelor.
Old 03-06-13, 08:12 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,234 Times in 615 Posts

Old 03-06-13, 08:17 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I also have the Assisted Living feeling in here. I don't like it, as funny as the concept is.
Kind of seems like it doesn't it? I've thought of 50+ as just meaning a more mature, experienced outlook on things, and not necessarily the geriatric concerns. And at the least, an opportunity to chime in on topics without enduring insults by those who may lack perspective.
Old 03-06-13, 08:23 AM
loneviking61

Bikes: Schwinn Trailwise, Surly Pugsley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like the name 'Pub 51'....now if I can just crawl out the door to my bike......
Old 03-06-13, 08:33 AM
Dudelsack 

Old 03-06-13, 08:36 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,511 Times in 1,027 Posts
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
*sigh* Only blue stars in here. Methinks nobody wants this. Hey, we tried!!
Try using the buzz words like pie, Diego, white bike, N+1, or quest for a girl friend. It will draw like moths to a flame.
Old 03-06-13, 08:39 AM
ThatBritBloke
Oh! That British Bloke ..

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What did I come in here for?
Old 03-06-13, 08:46 AM
Cyclist0094
Banned.

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a colonoscopy
Old 03-06-13, 08:55 AM
NOS88

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
First, let me say that I appreciate the effort of moderators to make the experience of participating on BikeFourms a more agreeable one for folks. It’s nice to know that moderator’s are taking their work seriously.

I respectfully suggest, however, that this thread is a misguided effort. While there are those who have been annoyed and/or made their voices heard concerning the appropriateness of non-cycling related threads in the 50+ forum, they always have the option of not opening a particular thread. Hence, to some extent I see those complaints as something the individual can handle with relative ease on their own. Simply don’t open or read threads that don’t appeal to you. However, there is another issue here worth considering.

With a single thread delegated for all non-cycling related items it necessitates that the reader work through numerous posts to get to something that might be of interest. Let me give just one example. We’ve had members post in the 50+ about health issues with which they or their loved ones were facing, some of them quite serious. It was not uncommon for them to be asked to give updates. When such events took place, the reader could easily come into the 50+ and scan thread titles to see if there was recent activity in the thread that was first posted, or if there were a new thread labeled as an update. This then allowed quick, easy and reasonable access to the information the reader was seeking. If however, all such posts are in a single thread, it makes it less than reasonable to ask that the reader sort through what is sure to be a wide range of topics (some of which the reader may have no interest in at all) to find what he or she is seeking. Yet, if there was no interest in the updates, the reader does not have to return to the forum or open the new one.

I believe the current system of thread titles works quite well. I don’t think the approach suggested here will do much except herd readers into a thread that may have many things within it they would not have opened if they were in their own thread. Hence, the possibility for more acrimony, not less, increases.

The role of discernment concerning the tone of a given thread must be quite challenging for moderators. It requires a level of judgment that must include the ability to detect true animosity, personal attacks, and/or flaming versus good natured and acceptable banter. When a person feels that posting is getting out of hand and is directed toward them, they can PM the individual and let them know. If that should not resolve the issue, alerting the moderators seems quite appropriate. I would encourage moderators, if they are not already doing so, to respond to issues of appropriateness of a thread by advising that readers do not open them or return to them if they are not what the reader is looking for.

Last edited by NOS88; 03-06-13 at 08:59 AM.
Old 03-06-13, 08:58 AM
Dudelsack 

Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
You have wayyyyy too much free time. Stick to watching The Batchelor.

This is going to be so cool....

Old 03-06-13, 09:05 AM
Cyclist0094
Banned.

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CbadRider
The threads that were causing issues are those where people just wanted to post about stuff that's going on in their lives. They wanted the camaraderie of 50+ but the threads weren't cycling related.

This is the place for those topics. Talk about your grandkids, how you're going nuts being stuck indoors during winter, what kind of pie works best as a recovery food, or how you can't wait until you can quit your job and retire. All of that stuff can stay in this thread and it won't get moved to another forum.
Then what is the point of having a 50+ forum in the first place? Grandkids, retirement, medical issues, environment all of those things affects us older riders. Everything else(using your logic) would fit in other forums.

You are moderating so-called off-topic threads here, while allowing the insulting comments in the Touring forum's "26" balloons for touring?" thread stand?
Old 03-06-13, 09:15 AM
jdon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
First, let me say that I appreciate the effort of moderators to make the experience of participating on BikeFourms a more agreeable one for folks. It’s nice to know that moderator’s are taking their work seriously.

I respectfully suggest, however, that this thread is a misguided effort. While there are those who have been annoyed and/or made their voices heard concerning the appropriateness of non-cycling related threads in the 50+ forum, they always have the option of not opening a particular thread. Hence, to some extent I see those complaints as something the individual can handle with relative ease on their own. Simply don’t open or read threads that don’t appeal to you. However, there is another issue here worth considering.

With a single thread delegated for all non-cycling related items it necessitates that the reader work through numerous posts to get to something that might be of interest. Let me give just one example. We’ve had members post in the 50+ about health issues with which they or their loved ones were facing, some of them quite serious. It was not uncommon for them to be asked to give updates. When such events took place, the reader could easily come into the 50+ and scan thread titles to see if there was recent activity in the thread that was first posted, or if there were a new thread labeled as an update. This then allowed quick, easy and reasonable access to the information the reader was seeking. If however, all such posts are in a single thread, it makes it less than reasonable to ask that the reader sort through what is sure to be a wide range of topics (some of which the reader may have no interest in at all) to find what he or she is seeking. Yet, if there was no interest in the updates, the reader does not have to return to the forum or open the new one.

I believe the current system of thread titles works quite well. I don’t think the approach suggested here will do much except herd readers into a thread that may have many things within it they would not have opened if they were in their own thread. Hence, the possibility for more acrimony, not less, increases.

The role of discernment concerning the tone of a given thread must be quite challenging for moderators. It requires a level of judgment that must include the ability to detect true animosity, personal attacks, and/or flaming versus good natured and acceptable banter. When a person feels that posting is getting out of hand and is directed toward them, they can PM the individual and let them know. If that should not resolve the issue, alerting the moderators seems quite appropriate. I would encourage moderators, if they are not already doing so, to respond to issues of appropriateness of a thread by advising that readers do not open them or return to them if they are not what the reader is looking for.
Always the voice of reason.
Old 03-06-13, 09:33 AM
Allegheny Jet

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

This is going to be so cool....
I hope so. We will be the assigners of "cool" so don't get ahead of yourself.
Old 03-06-13, 09:40 AM
Allegheny Jet

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CbadRider
This brings backs memories of my college days and taking Folk, Social and Square Dance. My prick of an instructor gave me a "D" for the class and revealed to me after the class ended that I didn't listen to her and purchased gymnastic slippers with sticky rubber bottoms and not dance slipper with smooth leather bottoms. Miss KcKeane I still hate you! ...but your probably dead now anyway.

Yep, that's whats on my mind today.
Old 03-06-13, 10:30 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,511 Times in 1,027 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
The role of discernment concerning the tone of a given thread must be quite challenging for moderators. It requires a level of judgment that must include the ability to detect true animosity, personal attacks, and/or flaming versus good natured and acceptable banter.
Perhaps the issue may be that the "good natured and acceptable banter" that you and some others find acceptable, was considered NOT acceptable by the moderators because it seemed to be excessive and mostly conducted amongst just a handful of the posters, and off putting to others not in the clique.
Old 03-06-13, 10:47 AM
GeorgeBMac

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
I see 50+ as a community of people who have at least two things that draw them here....cycling and a certain place in life we call "age." It doesn't bother me to have people discuss subjects like grand-kids, relationships, art, music, etc. If I was having a gathering of friends at my house it wouldn't occur to me to say "Anyone who wants to discuss anything other than our common interests will have to take it into the kitchen." Now I realize that this isn't my "house" but when you have the option to avoid any topic that doesn't interest you simply by not clicking on the thread why not just do that at your discretion? If I were a Mod (God help me) my line would be drawn with personal attacks not with thread topics. Just sayin'.
Well, yeh, but 10% of the forum doesn't approve. So their solution is to muck it up for everybody.
... Ya gotta give our caretakers credit though: it IS a solution!
Old 03-06-13, 11:37 AM
NOS88

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Perhaps the issue may be that the "good natured and acceptable banter" that you and some others find acceptable, was considered NOT acceptable by the moderators because it seemed to be excessive and mostly conducted amongst just a handful of the posters, and off putting to others not in the clique.
I don't believe I indicated that I personally found such banter acceptable or not. I think if you look at the collective history of my time here, you’ll see I’m not prone to such. Rather, I'm stating a reality of the dynamics within any forum. The fact that we are in a cycling forum is in itself participation in a clique. Given it is a 50+ forum; one would assume that most participating are over age 50, narrowing the clique even more. Does that preclude any individual from entering and starting a thread more to his or her own liking? No. Does it mean that they must open all threads and read all posts? No. Does it mean they can’t use the block function? No. I don’t think it’s reasonable to believe that any forum or sub-forum doesn’t have an element of being a clique. I also acknowledged that being a moderator requires a level of discernment, and expressed my appreciation for what they are attempting to do. Keep in mind, should I not like the character of a region of the larger BikeForums community, I can choose to attempt to change that character, or I can move on. If I choose to attempt to change the character, I’m well aware that there would be considerable resistance, and likely attempts to negate my efforts. It’s likely I wouldn’t be very welcome. Conversely, I’ve found a section of the BikeForums community that is to my liking, and I’m also prone toward wanting it to be something I continue to like. If that seems too immersed in being cliquish, then I am guilty. My overall point was that the thread being proposed or offered is likely to foster more not less unwelcoming, contentious and perhaps damaging behavior. But, perhaps I’m mistaken. Time will tell.
Old 03-06-13, 11:39 AM
maddmaxx 
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
I remember one poster in particular who was extremely put off an wasted few opportunities to sound off about it. In this forum I simply assumed he had a bad case of gas.
Old 03-06-13, 11:43 AM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thank God! Finally, someone tells me just what the hell that "addiction" thread in the 41 is supposed to be about.
Old 03-06-13, 02:41 PM
Dudelsack 

Originally Posted by CraigB
Thank God! Finally, someone tells me just what the hell that "addiction" thread in the 41 is supposed to be about.
Honest to goodness, I once sat down and read a whole month of that stuff (I was very seriously bored) and as best I can tell, it's about all the older married guys kind of flirting with this kind of single but very cute Florida girl.

That's the best I could figure.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.