Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Pub 51

Old 03-07-13, 10:57 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Toodie and Muldoon, in 'Car 51, where are you?', comes to mind ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-07-13 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-07-13, 11:22 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 45 Posts
Speaking of Foo, I never go over there...

... But I did, yesterday and found this disturbing video:

Old 03-07-13, 11:55 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,511 Times in 1,027 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I have a question.

I would ask the complainers what attracted THEM to 50+. There are other forums to discuss almost any cycling related topic, what made them select 50+?
I have posted several times over the years about the idle chit chat conducted among several posters as well as what I saw as more emphasis on cycling topics of which I had no interest, such as improving "performance." I would have posted and or spent more time here if the posts were more attuned to my own on the subject of cycling after turning 50+, and were less of (IMO) non cycling gossip found at the old timers' table at the local diner/McDonalds.

IOW, I prefer my old timers gathered around the hot stove league cracker barrel discussing baseball and not something else.

Yes it is possible to pick threads that may be more to my liking but too many end up with the regulars trading jokes and fun-filled zingers at each other.

I take a peek now and then and find the list much less chatty and bloated with inside jokes than previously, which is an improvement. If some posters carry out on their snit and take the chit chat somewhere else I think the list would be even more improved.

Personally I think Facebook is an ideal place for people of a like mind to chit chat 24/7/365 and never be ruffled by interference from non friends.
Old 03-07-13, 12:37 PM
jdon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
I have posted several times over the years about the idle chit chat conducted among several posters as well as what I saw as more emphasis on cycling topics of which I had no interest, such as improving "performance." I would have posted and or spent more time here if the posts were more attuned to my own on the subject of cycling after turning 50+, and were less of (IMO) non cycling gossip found at the old timers' table at the local diner/McDonalds.

IOW, I prefer my old timers gathered around the hot stove league cracker barrel discussing baseball and not something else.

Yes it is possible to pick threads that may be more to my liking but too many end up with the regulars trading jokes and fun-filled zingers at each other.

I take a peek now and then and find the list much less chatty and bloated with inside jokes than previously, which is an improvement. If some posters carry out on their snit and take the chit chat somewhere else I think the list would be even more improved.

Personally I think Facebook is an ideal place for people of a like mind to chit chat 24/7/365 and never be ruffled by interference from non friends.
Alternately, you could find a venue more to your liking rather than change others to suit you. There are no shortage of cycling forums.
Old 03-07-13, 12:39 PM
Dudelsack 

Old 03-07-13, 12:55 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by jdon
Alternately, you could find a venue more to your liking rather than change others to suit you. There are no shortage of cycling forums.
You are correct. I usually do just that by ignoring 50+ since so many share your view that 50+ is perfect as is and any suggestion otherwise could only come from a dunderhead.
Old 03-07-13, 12:59 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 292 Posts
Originally Posted by jdon
I don't understand the mindset of people who try to change others in an an effort to make them conform to their "world view."

Personally, if I don't like the sandbox's rules I gather up my toys and go play somewhere else.

Life is too short to waste time trying to change others.
Old 03-07-13, 01:03 PM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 15 Posts

In other words - "I would like to use this forum more but I don't like some of the threads so I think you should change it to suit me or go elsewhere"

Tail, wag and dog come to mind.
Old 03-07-13, 01:31 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Gerryattrick
In other words - "I would like to use this forum more but I don't like some of the threads so I think you should change it to suit me or go elsewhere"

How about I am not interested in wading through the "stuff" as previously described, so I don't?

I don't give a fig if the Kools Kidz and Chit Chatters change or not. I doubt they will since they seem to work themselves up into a lather when anyone (poster or moderator) suggests that the issue might exist and that anyone not satisfied with the status quo should STFU.
Old 03-07-13, 01:33 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 292 Posts

That's funny stuff.
Old 03-07-13, 01:34 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
Personally, if I don't like the sandbox's rules I gather up my toys and go play somewhere else.
Which sandbox "rules" are you referring to, the moderator's, or the whining insiders who don't exist in your mindset?
Old 03-07-13, 01:34 PM
JimF22003

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't go to pubs IRL. I have to assume this message will be full of discussions by people who belong to the Pub-Based Community, of which I will naturally feel excluded.

Rather than complain about the folks over there having too much fun, however, I think I'll just skip this one message. Which I think is a viable option for anybody regarding any thread in this entire forum...
Old 03-07-13, 01:35 PM
maddmaxx 
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts

Didn't you lead this fight several years ago, lose and spend a long time firing zingers about it here and there?
Old 03-07-13, 01:41 PM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Anyone use Quonol for heart health. I bought a bottle because of a Dr. OZ recommend on his show. I haven't noticed any difference. I know this is a real old guy question. But HEY, anyone have any ideas or experience with this stuff?

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 03-07-13, 01:43 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by maddmaxx
Didn't you lead this fight several years ago, lose and spend a long time firing zingers about it here and there?
It wasn't win or loss. The insiders continue with their jokes and zingers, I stopped wasting my time. I suppose a win-win for both.

Last edited by no1mad; 03-07-13 at 06:09 PM.
Old 03-07-13, 02:47 PM
Dudelsack 

So, no one really liked my Welcome to Kitty City?

Old 03-07-13, 02:53 PM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sometimes people can find a member's posting style irritating. If they're breaking the forum guidelines, the posts should be reported so the moderators can take care of it. If you just don't like their style of posting, that's what the Ignore feature is for, or you can just choose not to respond to that person's posts. It's as simple as that.

Starting a bickering match never ends well. I have to wonder what forum this artist was on that inspired him to draw this comic:

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 03-07-13, 03:45 PM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
I like Pub 51. I gonna carve a sign and put it up in my man cave.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 03-07-13, 04:29 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
But he threads that were complained about had NO cycling content!

The members "insulted" in that thread were not insulted enough to complain.

Dang. We're darned if we do, darned if we don't. What would you do in our situation when there are so many complaints? We are trying to please the majority. Either way we are the bad guys. We don't like to stir up negative feelings or throw a spoke in the wheels but seriously, we are up in arms here. That is why I asked if a whole new FORUM not related to Bike Forums should be started. I got no answers!! Help us out here.
As a non-complaining non-cliquish member, I don't think you need a whole new Forum and I doubt that it would help this one if there were. You're doing fine.
Old 03-07-13, 05:11 PM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 15 Posts
Been to the pub, had a few pints. Has any progress been made while I was there?
Old 03-07-13, 05:15 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 935 Post(s)
Liked 1,948 Times in 556 Posts
After a few pints, who cares?

Old 03-07-13, 05:17 PM
jdon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Everybody is better looking, that is all. Just don't turn up the ugly lights.
Old 03-07-13, 06:05 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 1,380 Times in 887 Posts
103 posts. Not bad for a thread that nobody wasn't really sure about.

But on a serious note, someone turned on a light for me and I can see better. I just couldn't "focus" but everything is clear.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 03-07-13, 06:13 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Just so y'all know, I just edited one post and removed 4 others because it was starting to get a little toxic in here.
Old 03-07-13, 06:49 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 935 Post(s)
Liked 1,948 Times in 556 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
So, no one really liked my Welcome to Kitty City?

Cycling content: Took this at the top of the climb up Stunt Road.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.