Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

App that tells me directions (turns) on my Android

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-18, 05:56 PM
PastorJim

Bikes: Trek 1.2, Schwinn Sidewinder 26" Men's (SRAM Max Pro) & Trident TW Bents

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am look for an app for my Android phone that I can map out the ride and then do it, AND it will tell me the turns while I'm cycling. I live in a great place for cycling (slow) and safely on 100 miles of Golf Carts and non-motorized vehicles (i.e. Bike) but it's easy to get lost or miss a turn.
Old 03-26-18, 06:01 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
RideWithGPS. Works for me...
Old 03-27-18, 12:25 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Maps.me is pretty good, it has offline map capability, so you download pertinent map over wifi, and while using the only service required is GPS (no wifi, cellular or cellular data required - leave off, save battery).

Most of the gps navigation (gpsnav) apps require a cellular connection and cellular data, but there are a few apps with offline map capability, Osmand comes to mind. Some are a little better than others in seemingly small ways. If you have certain phones with certain versions of Android, Osmand, for example, permits map files to be stored on inexpensive external memory. Map files are large, they can use up all of the phone's built-in memory, unless you buy an expensive phone with lots of built-in memory. It's cheaper to go with a cheap phone with external memory capability - adding 128GB class 10 memory is only $30.

Some of the gpsnav apps are designed around large map files, i.e. all of USA vs CA. Osmand is clever in that if you need only CA then you download CA only. If you never bicycle outside your local area, then it's unlikely you will be concerned much about maps/MBs.

I haven't evaluated gpsnav apps in over a year so there may be something better out now. Many of them offer turn-by-turn guidance, in multiple languages. Plan on spending hours evaluating these gpsnav apps, unlike other apps you cannot evaluate them from a desk.

I don't really see a need for gpsnav apps and a bar-mounted phone for commuting - it's not difficult to memorize a primary route and a few alternates for a daily repetitive bike ride. Using a tool like ridewithgps.com (mentioned #2) to plan a commute route is pretty simple and accurate WRT to mileage/elevation, and about all you need.

Last edited by seeker333; 03-27-18 at 12:32 PM.
Old 03-27-18, 03:41 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
google maps does quite well.
Old 03-27-18, 04:10 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
Agreed. I have used it many times.
Old 03-27-18, 04:58 PM
CreakingCrank

Bikes: Two. One daily rider. One with detachment issues.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Are you sure it navigates a predetermined route, like the OP wants? As soon as I tap the navigation icon it asks for a start point and a destination, then calculates the route for me, ignoring the imported a route.
Old 03-27-18, 05:03 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Originally Posted by CreakingCrank
Are you sure it navigates a predetermined route, like the OP wants? As soon as I tap the navigation icon it asks for a start point and a destination, then calculates the route for me, ignoring the imported a route.
No, I'm not sure. I wasn't sure that's what the OP was actually asking.

But of course, that begs the question...if you need directions in an area, what would make one believe they know the best route better than a mapping app?

I've had enough success with it to trust it more than myself in an unfamiliar area.
Old 03-27-18, 05:07 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

I don't know if you could do it on your phone. But you could use desktop Google Maps. Start with the origin and destination and hit directions. Then click and drag to change the route. Then send it to your phone.
Old 03-27-18, 05:12 PM
CreakingCrank

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
No, I'm not sure. I wasn't sure that's what the OP was actually asking.

But of course, that begs the question...if you need directions in an area, what would make one believe they know the best route better than a mapping app?

I've had enough success with it to trust it more than myself in an unfamiliar area.
So I can see the things I planned to see along the pre-planned route. I've been searching for a similar app (with voice nav) for touring and want to stay on route through unknown cities. Just getting from point A to point B isn't the goal.
Old 03-27-18, 05:14 PM
Abe_Froman

So I can see the things I planned to see along the pre-planned route. I've been searching for a similar app (with voice nav) for touring and want to stay on route through unknown cities. Just getting from point A to point B isn't the goal.
Fair enough.
Old 03-27-18, 05:20 PM
CreakingCrank

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I suspect the issue is with GPS tracks/routes. Even a predetermined route is a set of waypoints and any app must calculate between those points.

The app InRoute can do it but its limited to 100 points. That might work for the OP, but not a tour.
Old 03-27-18, 05:48 PM
CreakingCrank

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I don't know if you could do it on your phone. But you could use desktop Google Maps. Start with the origin and destination and hit directions. Then click and drag to change the route. Then send it to your phone.
Then the Google Maps app ignores the changed route and calculates its own route. Getting a route into the app isn't an issue. Getting the app to actually follow the changed route doesn't look possible.
Old 03-27-18, 07:55 PM
CreakingCrank

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 350htrr
RideWithGPS. Works for me...
RidewithGPS requires a $50/year subscription to do what the OP wants to do.
Old 03-28-18, 06:25 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
It's somewhat of a hassle, but creating the route with ridewithgps and then exporting it into the mapfactor navigator app works. Using the free version of each.
Old 03-28-18, 09:01 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
You can use google maps to navigate to the first point of interest. Then reuse it for the second point. Then the third and so on. Select the bicycle icon to get some different route ideas. Might be more of a hassle, but should work and still get you to what you want to see. But if you want to preplan the entire route, then maybe you need one of the other apps mentioned above. In that case, I'd also recommend using the Strava heatmap to see which routes are more popular (https://www.strava.com/heatmap).

Edit: This article claims that you can save and load pre planned routes in google maps: https://www.outdoorblueprint.com/outd...h-google-maps/

Last edited by ptempel; 03-28-18 at 09:07 AM.
Old 03-28-18, 09:34 AM
CreakingCrank

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ptempel
You can use google maps to navigate to the first point of interest. Then reuse it for the second point. Then the third and so on. Select the bicycle icon to get some different route ideas. Might be more of a hassle, but should work and still get you to what you want to see. But if you want to preplan the entire route, then maybe you need one of the other apps mentioned above. In that case, I'd also recommend using the Strava heatmap to see which routes are more popular (https://www.strava.com/heatmap).

Edit: This article claims that you can save and load pre planned routes in google maps: How to Plan a Road Trip Route with Google Maps
Look at the last two images of that article. The author selected a pin on his pre-planned route (dark blue line) then touched the car icon to start navigation. It returned a new calculated (light blue line) route from the authors current position to the pin he selected, ignoring the pre-planned route.

The free RideWithGPS does the same thing ... it will only calculate a route to the starting point of your pre-planned route.
Old 03-28-18, 09:56 AM
CreakingCrank

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
It's somewhat of a hassle, but creating the route with ridewithgps and then exporting it into the mapfactor navigator app works. Using the free version of each.
Thanks. Just downloaded it. How does one import a route?
Old 03-28-18, 10:07 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
something about map overlays, it's been a long time. i like it for the simple interface
Old 03-28-18, 10:51 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton

You can do the same process with ridewithgps >> my google maps >> maps.me offline maps. Like most things..easy to do once you know how..
Old 03-28-18, 11:12 AM
CreakingCrank

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
You can do the same process with ridewithgps >> my google maps >> maps.me offline maps. Like most things..easy to do once you know how..
They can import predefined routes, yes. I have imported routes into about 25 different apps. None I have found can voice navigate along a predefined route without a subscription. $50 per year is nuts. A motorcycle app called Scenic is $10 per year. InRoute can do it but is frightfully limited to 100 total points
Old 03-28-18, 11:53 AM
caloso

Then the Google Maps app ignores the changed route and calculates its own route. Getting a route into the app isn't an issue. Getting the app to actually follow the changed route doesn't look possible.
Dang. That would have been too simple, I guess.
Old 03-28-18, 01:59 PM
CharlieFree

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
The folks in the Touring forum might be helpful https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/
Old 03-29-18, 09:26 AM
Eds0123

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Warbird, (Specially Love my) 2021 Salsa Cutthroat, 2012 Surly LHT, 2015 Surly Cross-Check, 2008 Giant OCR A1, 2005 Leader 735R, 2005 Gary Fisher Montare, 1991 Nishiki Pueblo,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 38 Posts
Osmand has been more accurate in my experience. It gives shorter routes. and it still works great where/when signals may be weak or non-existent since It uses GPS only. Although Google maps is much better than some Navigation tools provided by some car companies in some vehicles.
Old 03-29-18, 12:04 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
"Map files are large, they can use up all of the phone's built-in memory, unless you buy an expensive phone with lots of built-in memory. It's cheaper to go with a cheap phone with external memory capability - adding 128GB class 10 memory is only $30."
Unfortunately some cheap Android phones don't use added memory effectively. My $10 ZTE phone on Simple Mobile uses the card only to store photos and video -- no apps, etc. My $40 Moto E4 on Verizon uses added cards more effectively.

Regarding navigation aids, I haven't found a map app yet that won't try to get you killed. They all choose some terrible routes by default. I don't trust any of them.

Instead I'll check Google street view to determine the best looking route that avoids the worst streets. Then set the navigation points. I have no sense of direction at night (as my friends have discovered to their annoyance) so it helps get me back on track with unfamiliar routes, especially when I miss turns.
Old 04-05-18, 11:02 AM
CreakingCrank

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PastorJim
I am look for an app for my Android phone that I can map out the ride and then do it, AND it will tell me the turns while I'm cycling. I live in a great place for cycling (slow) and safely on 100 miles of Golf Carts and non-motorized vehicles (i.e. Bike) but it's easy to get lost or miss a turn.
Komoot can do this ... confirmed by a test yesterday.

You will need to download a map region. The first one is free, which might be all you need.

It uses Open Street Map (OSM). If the paths you use aren't on the map, you can add them yourself with a free account with OSM. I added a path that cuts across a golf course (golf course allows public use) that wasn't present.

Try it out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.