Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Rude behavior is normal?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Rude behavior is normal?

Old 08-12-18, 08:47 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
I've been yelled at by old guys (younger than me) when I passed them at three times their speed on the road and gave them 10' of lateral space. Some people just like to yell. Don't get me started on MUPs. I've ridden all kinds and they're all different. I just try to always be polite, keep as far right as possible, and never pass horses.
Old 08-13-18, 08:52 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 1,966 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by Terex
I've been yelled at by old guys (younger than me) when I passed them at three times their speed on the road and gave them 10' of lateral space. Some people just like to yell. Don't get me started on MUPs. I've ridden all kinds and they're all different. I just try to always be polite, keep as far right as possible, and never pass horses.
^Yep. I think a lot of disagreement here is a matter of context. MUPs are all different in terms of what constitutes a safe speed and a safe pass.

Old 08-13-18, 12:10 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
Sometimes introspection is required and sometimes other people are jackasses.

Example. The local MUP has an access ramp, downhill. Coming down that ramp it is just not possible to see traffic on the path in either direction. The only reasonable way to handle that is to control your speed coming downhill and take a good look. You don't have to stop - there is not a stop sign - but you do have to look where you are going. So a young lady comes down the hill at 25mph or better on her carbon wunderbike and nails my wife. Who did survive, thank you. The young lady simply cannot understand that she did one thing wrong. After all she did choose good parents and in her entire life she has never done one thing wrong. And no harm no foul. If my wife does not immediately require an ambulance then what is your problem? So if a young and privileged rider strikes and knocks down a woman old enough to be her grandmother we are supposed to just smile and say "Have a nice day". Maybe if we had ding bells we would be luckier.

There is no shortage of other examples. There is an endless supply of other examples.

Some people should not ride bikes. Some people have no sense. Some people are jackasses.
Old 08-13-18, 02:36 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert
Sometimes introspection is required and sometimes other people are jackasses.

Example. The local MUP has an access ramp, downhill. Coming down that ramp it is just not possible to see traffic on the path in either direction. The only reasonable way to handle that is to control your speed coming downhill and take a good look. You don't have to stop - there is not a stop sign - but you do have to look where you are going. So a young lady comes down the hill at 25mph or better on her carbon wunderbike and nails my wife. Who did survive, thank you. The young lady simply cannot understand that she did one thing wrong. After all she did choose good parents and in her entire life she has never done one thing wrong. And no harm no foul. If my wife does not immediately require an ambulance then what is your problem? So if a young and privileged rider strikes and knocks down a woman old enough to be her grandmother we are supposed to just smile and say "Have a nice day". Maybe if we had ding bells we would be luckier.

There is no shortage of other examples. There is an endless supply of other examples.

Some people should not ride bikes. Some people have no sense. Some people are jackasses.
"carbon wonder bike" "privileged" - another totally neutral response.
Old 08-13-18, 03:18 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
Yes Terex, totally neutral. You seem to think it is a good thing to assault elderly women. Good for you. You are just a superior person and I will never question your judgment.
Old 08-13-18, 03:45 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10886 Post(s)
Liked 4,558 Times in 2,088 Posts
This thread has run its course. When we can't play nice, it's time to close.

Last edited by Trsnrtr; 08-13-18 at 03:50 PM.